Motorola CLIQ User Reviews

Internet5.4/10
Call quality6.5/10
Battery3.5/10

Rogerj21
posted on 22 Dec 2013, 10:16 (Posts: 0; Member since: 22 Dec 2013)

For his generation it was a great phone!!...thanks Motorola ;)

Rogerj21 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

people are very hard in this reviews with this device!!!...remember that was a first generation smartphone with OS cupcake (1.5), for me it was a satisfactory first phone and the QWERTY keyboard...i loved!!..very great experience

Build quality 8/10 An old smarthphone with gorilla glass?!..great!! and a very handsome device!
Camera 9/10 it was a great camera for this device!!!...5mpx camera for a first generation smartphone is a gang!...i not giving a 10 because it was without flash
UI speed 6/10 maybe could be a little better
Text input 10/10 QWERTY keyboardmakes it easy!...and its a double keyboard phone!

Pros

• good camera resolution
  • double keyboard (QWERTY and touch keyboard)

Cons

• weak UI speed
  • Display size

Aaron_R96
posted on 28 Jan 2012, 13:26 (Posts: 198; Member since: 22 Jan 2012)

Poor Build Quality

Aaron_R96 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Physical keyboard is very good for those who like texting, on-screen keyboard is too cramped and predictive texting is awful. Camera is good, but has no flash, so useless in the dark, the phone itself is very heavy and thick (partly due to keyboard) but this makes it quite impratical, internet is slow and battery is awful, oh and Motoblur overlay is a pain in the ass. Have put up with the phone for 1 and a half years now, on a 2 year contract. Can't wait for a new phone, would stick with android though!

Pros

• Physical Keyboard
  • Early Android Device

Cons

• Motoblur overlay
  • Bulky form factor
  • Poor internet experience
  • Slow processor

Aaron_R96 alternatives:

okidoki98
posted on 02 Oct 2011, 08:10 (Posts: 0; Member since: 02 Oct 2011)

OK

okidoki98 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

It was comfortable to hold, but I dropped it a few times now the touch screen doesnt work very well. The speaker phone doesnt work either but otherwise, its good. I like the design of it and the fact that it has a qwerty keyboard makes it much easier to text.

Pros

• nice design
  • easy to text
  • lots of buttons

Cons

• slow
  • speaker phone doesnt work

savien808
posted on 27 Aug 2011, 08:02 (Posts: 59; Member since: 27 Aug 2011)

It broke 2wice!

savien808 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

The title says it all! This was my 1st android phone, i traded my blackberry for it and i was disapointed.It had great reception! 3G was always available! I loved the keyboard and the quality of the pictures that were taken with the camera was great! Just wished the camera was a bit faster! The internet expeirence was slow! The battery dies super fast and it was replaced! The lag between home screens was very slow. I updated it to 2.1 and i still had the same results. It broke after it was replaced a month before! The overall quality was very cheap!

Pros

• Keyboard is awesome for texting!

Cons

• Battery dies fast!

savien808 alternatives:

Savgrr
posted on 28 Apr 2011, 19:55 (Posts: 2; Member since: 03 Feb 2009)

Not so much, Motorola.

Savgrr has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

When I first got this phone, I loved it. It had android and a physical keyboard... and that was all that I thought I cared about. Haha, *wrong*. It worked great until the 2.1 update. That update messed the phone up like none other. All of a sudden everything was force-closing, I stopped receiving half of my texts, the phone wouldn't display the 'answer' button when someone called me, and I noticed that somehow the video quality got worse after the update. I don't know if that's possible, but I didn't like the difference at all. Also, the 1.6 photo editing software that came with the phone was changed and the new editing tools were lame in comparison.

I always was careful about what apps I downloaded, and I kept a task killer to kill background stuff that ate up the battery. But the phone was freezing up all the time, and it would take forever for anything to download from the market. I did a couple of battery pulls, but they only seemed to help for a day or so. Finally I just did a factory reset, and everything was okay.

I still have this phone, and ever since the reset I haven't had too much trouble other than still not receiving all my texts. But I have only downloaded one or two apps, and I'm keeping the memory pretty much empty. I didn't buy a smartphone to just have one or two apps. I'm very disappointed in Motorola for selling this piece of crap.

Vanilla android is the way to go for me... no more stupid Motoblur to clog up a phone.

Build quality 7/10 It's built standard. The area around the headset plugin is just made to get chipped.
Reception 7/10 Sometimes the phone will ring once and go to voicemail. I don't know if this is due to reception or just the terrible phone.
Call quality 5/10 SO many times I have to have the person call me back because there's an excruciating echo.
Internet 4/10 Browsing is slow. It takes forever for a simple page to load.
Multimedia 6/10 Music quality is great, however the video quality leaves much to be desired. Very choppy.
Camera 3/10 The lag time between when you push the shutter button and when it takes the photo is ridiculous. And if it's even slightly dark inside, the quality is absolutely terrible.
UI speed 2/10 S-L-O-W. Motoblur is the antichrist, seriously. Just give us vanilla android please.
Everyday usage 6/10 It's okay for day to day use. The phone gets really hot when you use it though.
Text input 10/10 I got this phone because of its physical keyboard. I have no complaints, it's essentially the only thing I love about the phone. Easy to text.
Display 7/10 Decent display. The light sensor is not sensitive enough. It'll be really dark and the phone screen takes forever to brighten.
Battery 6/10 As with any smart phone, battery is an issue. The cliq will jump from battery level to battery level. One minute the battery is half full, next minute there's only 15% left. For this reason I had to download an app that tells me exactly how much battery percentage left there was. Lame.

• LED Indicator light

Cons

• Motoblur
  • Laggy UI
  • No camera flash
  • Don't receive texts

Raccoon
posted on 31 Jan 2011, 22:13 (Posts: 0; Member since: 31 Jan 2011)

The most hopeless piece of garbage I have ever layed hands on.

Raccoon has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I can not adequately express the level of grief and annoyance this product has caused both myself and my father, who both got one largely due to the fact that it had a nice keyboard, headphone jack, and Android.

I am on phone #3, and it has dead bluetooth. My dad is on phone #5. They reason we aren't on higher numbers is because we basically gave up, not because we finally got fully-functional phones. And I'm not talking about the incredible amount of glitching and lag that is inherent with the device. We thought the steady stream of falsely promised release dates for the new OS update would eventually pay off and fix a lot of the problems, but it did nothing of the sort. In fact, the latest patch seems to regularly randomize my contact information, loosing contacts permanently in spite of MotoBleh, while scrambling everyone's ringer settings just for good measure.

There are countless things that make this phone suck, but the real star of the show is it's 'responsiveness'. Every time I click something on this phone, I have to wait and wonder if it got the message. Will it do something.............eventually? Will it do what it was told, or something else entirely? Will this be the day when it lets me drag-scroll WITHOUT deciding it was actually a click, or maybe I would like to rush to the bottom of the screen? These are questions I must ask myself every minute of every day that I use this absolute POS.

Never again, Motorola.

Build quality 1/10 I'm on Cliq #3, and my dad is on his 5th Cliq. His phone #5 over-heats and shuts down, and my Bluetooth is fried on my 3rd. All the previous phones had DIFFERENT hardware failures. VERY lucky we got extended warranties.
Reception 8/10 Better-than-average radio across the spectrum, until Bluetooth broke anyway.
Call quality 5/10 Call quality was a significant downgrade from my simple free phone I used before. Speakerphone is positively worthless. You have to lean over it and yell, and a lot of them feed back.
Internet 4/10 Web browsing is agonizing. Slow not because of connection speed, but because CPU can't begin keep up. Small, low-res screen contributes to the impracticallity of using the browser. MotoBleh was unwelcome. Surfing on PC thru tether is surprisingly fast.
Multimedia 7/10 Media players are OS defaults. Plays video just fine, though sound quality is unimpressive.
Camera 5/10 Megapixes isn't everything. It's so slow the subject has left the building before it captures, and it's worthless in lower light.
UI speed 1/10 Excruciating UI lag, and too unpredictable to get used to. You never know if it registered a tap and is working on it, didn't get it, or got it wrong, all of which happen quite often. I keep active programs to a minimal, and it just doesn't help. I'm told this is largely due to MotoBleh.
Everyday usage 2/10 Feels like I'm on the loosing end of a battle in psychological warfare. I'm counting the days till I can be rid this phone forever.
Text input 8/10 Keyboard is a little cramped, but still quite easy to type on. Lights up nice at night, and best of all, there's a D-pad to let me play the hundreds of emulated games available.
Display 3/10 Pretty decent color and brightness, though screen is small. And as a touch-screen it's one of the main reasons this phone is near-worthless, as it doesn't seem to know the difference between tap and drag, or that slow drag does NOT mean speed-scroll to the bottom of the screen. This happened on all 3 of my Cliqs.
Battery 3/10 One thought that's constantly on my mind when I'm using this phone..... 'how long till the battery dies?'.

Pros

• Nice keyboard
  • D-PAD! A must for gaming.
  • Headphone jack and USB
  • Effective paperweight

Cons

• Nightmareishly slow and inconsistant UI response
  • MotoBlur
  • Shorter lifespan than a disposible lighter
  • Overall sound quality
  • Retarded touchscreen
  • Motorola customer support is abysmal
  • Undersized screen

Shelby2939
posted on 08 Jan 2011, 11:01 (Posts: 0; Member since: 08 Jan 2011)

Cliq

Shelby2939 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This Phone is actually an alright phone. Some things are actually not that good though. And some of the highlight features are very disappointing. Such as Moto-Blur I didn't find it useful, I think they could have sold the phone wither it had moto-Blur or not.

Pros

• Touch Screen
  • Fast Browser
  • Speaker Phone
  • Apps
  • Lock Feature
  • The colors

Cons

• The Keyboard
  • motoBlur
  • Battery life is horrible
  • No Flash
  • Kinda Bulky

Awesome14Axel
posted on 12 Dec 2010, 16:20 (Posts: 3; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)

Motorola Cliq

Awesome14Axel has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I wouldve never expected this coming from Motorola but for now on I'll never buy another Motorola phone. I didn't have any problems with the phone until later in the experience when it wasn't getting updates. After that I started to get angry and the phone was already having problems so I gave up and got a Mytouch 4g

Pros

• great social networking
  • keyboard

Cons

• no flash camera
  • laggy
  • 2.1 is buggy
  • battery sucks
  • heavy for its size
  • Motoblur
  • outdated

Awesome14Axel alternatives:

ExplosiveK9
posted on 23 Oct 2010, 14:58

MWD Trainer

ExplosiveK9 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Now that my phone runs on 2.1 android, its great! i was able to be one of the few testers of the pre released update. Its definitely worth the wait!

Pros

• With 2.1 it runs as good as any of the new Smartphone rookies

Cons

• No Swype or Multitouch

Disappointed
posted on 21 Oct 2010, 17:42

Not worth it.

Disappointed has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I have had this phone for 11 months, and i am very disappointed with this phone. I've had to replace it four times because something always went wrong, and am in the process of replacing it...AGAIN. I've had applications not work. Calling/Texting qlitching. It will mute me out of conversations. Recently a button has been pushed it, and the screen shattered on me! I am not pleased with this phone. And texting lights with burn out.

The plus side to this phone is that it takes fantastic photos, and the texting is great!

Build quality 4/10 Really heavy.
Reception 2/10 Drop Calls. Lose service everywhere.
Call quality 3/10 Mutes me out on 3+ way. Drop calls.
Camera 8/10 Great camera pictures
Battery 2/10 Can't go a full day without dieing.

• Texting

Cons

• Calling
  • Lights
  • Buttons
  • Screen Glitches
  • Horriable Battery
  • Heavy

very disappointed
posted on 19 Aug 2010, 23:13

don't bother

this is my first 'high-tech' phone (my last one being a bottom-of-the-line lg from 2000).  having not been jaded, perhaps my expectations were too high.  but after 2 months with this phone i wish i'd stuck with the old lg.first and foremost, the dext weighs as much as a boat anchor.  it's fine if you carry a purse or backpack, but forget about putting this brick in the pocket of a nice pair of pants or even a suit jacket - the thing will stretch the hell out of your clothing.as just about everyone else has mentioned, the battery life is horrid.  the maximum i've been able to squeeze out of this brand new phone is one day, that with all of the battery saving techniques i could come across (ie. 2g with no blutooth, wifi or gps etc).issue #3 - by taking focus off of the browser you aren't necessarily closing it, and there's nothing to indicate you're still online.  there's also no way of setting the browser to automatically time out.  both of my bills have had line items saying that i was online for thousands of minutes (which i have never actually done).  the only thing that saved me was the death of the battery (guess that's one benefit of it only lasting a day).and motoblur's universal inbox... what a pain.  the theory is that you can combine all of your social accounts into one location.  well i, like most people, have several email accounts, and most come with lots of spam.  and guess what, all this spam goes directly into your...

Pros

• keyboard; os look and feel

Cons

• very heavy;

adan
posted on 03 Jul 2010, 16:38

MOTO cliq nice phone and better then iphone in my opinion

Motorola cliq is good in camera phone with moto blur.What can i see i love color optionsYou dont need to have color photo shopping do to  google android 2.0 os feature moto install to our phones. despite being on android 1.5 os. I love the keyboard,web browsing is almost i feel like im in labtop.Android market is amazing with 85,000 applications make this phone compete with the iphone.I cant wait for T-mobile to upgrade this 2.1 os it make me fall in love with these phone again.Design look marvelous and well made.

Pros

• 85,000 apps on android market.
  • design and form factor is great.
  • Camera is amazing.
  • moto blur
  • lock feature.

Cons

• Motorola delaying our android 2.1 os update.
  • I cant use about 10,000 apps to 20 because of the os.
  • Bad customer rep from both t-mobile and moto.
  • Sensative to the end virtual button.

Agonnazar
posted on 07 Mar 2010, 12:00 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Feb 2010)

Good phone, downloading updates is a MUST!!!!

I recently got the Cliq, and I must say I'm quite happy with it.  The web surfing is fast and uncomplicated, the Facebook updates are nice, the feel of the phone is solid.I originally looked at the battery life on the stats page, and that was one of my deciding factors.  However, battery life on this phone is nowhere near what is stated, even after downloading the battery life setting in the updates.  Before I got that, I couldn't even make it half a day without the battery dying, now I can make it through a full day, with the phone set to battery saving mode.  Still has to be charged every day, though.The app market is uncomplicated, and there are plenty to choose from.  Deleting apps is simple.  The weather widget is also very handy.The manual keyboard is very nice, I have big thumbs and typing is still not a problem for me, unlike the touchscreen keyboard, which I have a hard time with.  No fault of the phone for that.Only getting a 6 for performance due to battery life, otherwise, it would have been a 9 or 10

Pros

• Manual Keyboard
  • Solid feel

Cons

• Battery life is not too good

posted on 06 Jan 2010, 00:14

I went ahead and bought this phone even though I dont care for motorola. This is the best phone ive had. I am impressed with moto blur and with android. What really bothers me is not the phone at all, its motorolas customer support. They will not give an answer if it will be upgraded to android 2.0. I have done some research on this and there are rumors that when motorola added moto blur its causing problems and it might not be able to upgrade to 2.0. If this is true motorola will not see any buisness from me again. other than that the phone itself is one of the best

Pros

• Best phone ive owned. compadable with up to 32gb micro sd.

Cons

• Motorola not keeping the firmware up to date possably causing problems with new applications

sexy jenny
posted on 30 Dec 2009, 02:37

boy come from the g1

best phone beside the moto droid one of good thing is picture color option the szoom in moto cliq is just make my day at work showing off to my iphone friends i love my phone. omg is my desire and it get me with customsization ont he ssssss

Pros

• Moto blur =XD
  • 5.0 megapixes =D
  • Built in officeword
  • Shazam
  • Android market
  • You tube
  • 20,000 application

Cons

• No led flash
  • No adobe flash

Kim Mendoza
posted on 27 Dec 2009, 01:00

This phone is everything and then some. I have always' been into my blackberry and thought nothing could do it like a B.B. can. WRONG! It has fulfilled my needs completely. The look is not that pretty but who cares? I'm waiting on a couple faceplate to give it some style. The battery life could be better. My son told me (19) he thinks my phone does too much...LOL. I'm like... is that bad?

Pros

• This phone does it ALL

Cons

• Battery life and no flash on camera

alice m
posted on 23 Dec 2009, 23:02

MoTorola is the best

What can I say it has motorola blur, better battery life, mah power it awesome, you can use youtube without so much force closing. The look it so amazing , the camera look exactly like a digital camera. Hoping that 2.0 is coming with flash player plug in for us to watch some movie. Cant complain

Pros

• Phone quality
  • Speaker are loud and clear
  • 5.0 MP
  • Text message widget
  • Motoblur
  • Faster then processer of any tmobile phone outthere

Cons

• NO android update 2.0 or 2.1
  • NO plug in for adobe flash player

adam m
posted on 21 Dec 2009, 16:05

cliq is the best for me

What i can say about this phone battery life is a must i charge my phone for 7 charge in the week i have it last me an average of 8 1/2 hrs in half. Proceser is faster then g1 and mytouch3g. It has 3.5 jack jack. pattern and number lock as well . Positive on direction pad for gaming purposes. It has 1420mah with 2gb memory and 203 mb internal memory which it allow you to download as many as 120 to 140 application

Pros

• moto blur
  • 5 mp
  • 3.5 jack
  • faster browser and barely force closing

Cons

• nO flaSH
  • no 2.0

Alex0078
posted on 23 Nov 2009, 19:40

It rocks!!

I've had this phone for 2 weeks now and it's a whole new world to discover, compared to my old blackberry 8120.  However, I was dissapointed by the lack of flash for the camera and the non-functional bluetooth.  On the bright side, I found an app on android's market that makes it possible to transfer files using bluetooth, name is Bluetooth File Transfer, and it's free.  I also downloaded an app called Ultimate Stopwatch, because my annoying sister-in-law is very proud of her iPhone's chronometer...  Anyway, all in all this is the best phone I've owned and even known.

Pros

• Big keyboard.
  • Very good touchscreen.
  • Fast access to all functions.
  • Android.
  • Good volume.
  • Friendly with social networks.

Cons

• No flash for camera!!!

sweatydog
posted on 20 Oct 2009, 14:26

Great phone if you take the time to learn it.

The phone feels great. Ergonomically, feels great in the hands for txt,email, etc. AND YES YOU CAN SAVE CONTACTS ON RECENT CALL LISTS. Simply hold down on the number that you called & presto, menu comes up for you to save onto contact list. Also, moves much faster than mytouch IMO.Overall, Great job Moto. A few quirks can be taken care of but great stab at a new andriod device. I love it & will no longer sport the mytouch.

Pros

• Feels Great in hand
  • Android(say no more
  • Mobile office($40 value) free
  • 5mp camera

Cons

• Keyboard a lil "slippery". Too loose
  • Battery life(just have to tone down the social network updates)
  • No flash on cam

Milan
posted on 12 Oct 2009, 12:46

Motorola dext

I have got this phone for 3 days now and I'm going to send it back.  First when I got it I was very excited about the design and all the futures. After a while I was discovering all the faults that made me realize that this phone is not worth it.

Pros

• Motoblur
  • Synchronizing with Google apps like gmail, calendar or Facebook

Cons

• Can't send pictures over bluetooth.
  • can't save phone numbers from recent calls list.
  • Camera doesn't have flash.
  • There is still no Skype application for Android phones.

Li
posted on 11 Oct 2009, 14:02

Moto Cliq

The moto-clic seems to be a very interesting piece of harware coming from Motorola, I think Motorola has put all its chips on the running android train, and by doing that it makes no compromises, I have looked at the video at http://www.androphonez.com/android-phones-Motorola-Cliq.html and I must say I am impressed, I think Motorola is truly making a big come-back

Pros

• its a Motorola so it should be robust (take it from someone who broke 2 G1s

Cons

• None that I can think of at the moment