Motorola BACKFLIP User Reviews

Multimedia6.6/10
Call quality5.4/10
Battery3.5/10

AshRyanx
posted on 05 Nov 2011, 17:00 (Posts: 0; Member since: 05 Nov 2011)

Motorola Crapflip

AshRyanx has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I had boost mobile, & wanted to switch to AT&T I wanted another android, my friend recommended the Motorola Backflip- that's what phone he is. I got it, liked it at first. Once I started texting on it- I realized the damn thing lags hardcore. I can put it down for a minute & it can turn off and on by itself without being touch- what the heck? I do like the camera and the fact that it has a flash & I can take pictures at night the quality of the pictures is GREAT. I like that it is an android and I can pretty much do whatever I want on it. This is my second android and I would take the Samsung Galaxy over this phone anyday. Another thing- it's really heavy! But i've thrown the thing around and it's built pretty nicely. Another thing is like is the option of the touch screen keyboard or the flip keyboard. Battery life SUCKS 3-4 hours and it's dead I charge it atleast 2 times a day & over night. I'm a heavy texter also.

Garfield
posted on 25 Jun 2011, 13:15

Backflip most troubled phone I have ever owned

Garfield has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I've owned seven cell phones and this one is the most unreliable, with frequent lack of signal, force closings, counterintuitive features and bugs. I also had to replace the phone because of shoddy antenna quality eventually making it unuseable. Too bad, because some of the design features are innovative and this SHOULD have been a great phone.

Pros

• Interesting design

Cons

• VERY buggy, signal eventually disappeared permanently

andre_eyk
posted on 05 Jun 2011, 09:33 (Posts: 0; Member since: 05 Jun 2011)

look good

andre_eyk has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

its a great phone but the android system is to poor ,and the processor too..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................but i like it because that be my first phone ..............................

Pros

• good look

Cons

• its too old

Ashley
posted on 24 May 2011, 17:11

Backflip WORST PHONE EVER

Ashley has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I had my backflip for 8 months and it sucks. It always freezes, turns off when it wants to, looses battery when its charged, doesnt have sound, doesnt charge, takes random pictures, sends and recieves messages weeks later,freezes,doesnt call people, and there is nothing great about this phone. Sooooo Motorola sucks BALLS (:

Pros

• You can see yourself take pictures

Cons

• Everything else

Monty Hates his motorola
posted on 15 May 2011, 19:44

MR

Monty Hates his motorola has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I liked the features.. in the city it will get 4-5 bars. but give it up if you want to use it anywhere else.. do yourself a favor... dont buy this phone.. Last motorola I had got not signal either.. Noticed even the JUNK 29 dollar phone I baught when my last phone got smashed gets reception in this area.

Reception 1/10 I can not use this phone.... where I am at anyone else on any service can use there phones.. I used my nokia here for a long time.. I can not get calls.
Everyday usage 1/10 Signal so weak it can not be used...

Pros

• LOOKS GOOD...

Cons

• NOT usable... ATT will not back it up.
  • Bad Signal.. Worse than any other phone I have had. Its bad when ATT shows me something I can buy that will let me create an antena from the internet, when my friends and family are using other cell phones next to me.

Jessica
posted on 28 Mar 2011, 12:03

It is ok

Jessica has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The backflip is a pretty good phone. It has decent features and it is good for middle and high school students in my opinion. If you are a business person or someone that really relies on your phone, then you should get this phone. Also sometimes the phone turns off by itself, which gets REALLY Annoying!

Pros

• Multimedia, Camera, Display.

Cons

• Battery, Call Quality

styxen9
posted on 13 Mar 2011, 16:07

Worst...I Mean WORST Phone Ever!

styxen9 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I, like others I am reading about, am on my THIRD and LAST one of these things. I have loved Motorola for ages, but they really dropped their brains before starting this project. All the Backflips I've had are insane...calling people when NO ONE was even near the phone, faulty keypads, sluggish camera, it resets things on its own...you name it. AT&T just kept on sending me another and I finally had it the other day and am blissfully going back to a Blackberry. You can keep your Androids and wormy Apple stuff :O) Biggest mistake I've made was getting rid of my last BB for the sake of something new.

Build quality 3/10 terrible phone
Internet 2/10 very, very slow
Camera 2/10 very poor pics and camera takes forever to load up thus missing the shots
Everyday usage 3/10 extremely unreliable
Text input 3/10 very faulty
Display 5/10 not terrible
Battery 2/10 breathe on it and it's empty

Pros

• nice metal housing, yet heavy

Cons

• everything listed above

jwash
posted on 15 Nov 2010, 20:14

Like It!!!!

jwash has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Got my back flip last week...Like it alot...had the lg vu before...Ugrade to 2.1 it is a must...I read alot of reviews before getting the phone...And many were negative..U have to get the update which is available now..Does not have bluetooth voice activated dialing, but, u can get apps for it (Vlingo) and oh yes...lots of free apps.
After setting the phone up. it works well..and I love the keyboard on the back..very easy to type on...

Patricia Marshall
posted on 13 Oct 2010, 13:16

DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE

i am on my 3rd backflip.The screen keeps going blank and for a touch tone phone that means you can do nothing. I shut it on/off many times b/f getting the screen to work, only to have it go blank again in 2-3 minutes.The only thing ATT will do is keep sending me backflips and i have spent over 6 hours on the phone trying to get a comparable phone from AT&T.This is the worst phone ever and AT&T needs to stand behind their products.

Pros

Cons

• The screen keeps going blank and doesn't turn on for long periods of time.

Blackflip Disaster
posted on 13 Sep 2010, 08:31

1.3

This phone is not worth the box it came in

I have had this phone for 6 months.

-Reboots every time I try to browse the internet.  Takes forever to get back up.
-Reboots if I scroll through the desktop screens too fast.
-Can't watch streaming media or phone reboots.
-Horrible glare on screen when outdoors.
-Only way to answer a call is the touch screen.   Sliding the bar is hard to do while driving.
-Lots of accidental calls using this phone.   Slow to react to end the accidental call
-Camera slow to react
-Awkward to hold
- Keyboard is not good if you have any length to your fingernails.
-Have to put a piece of paper in the battery compartment to hold the battery in place or every time you touch the back of the phone it reboots.   (Even though I have done this it still reboots just not as much)

I have formatted my SD card and reset the phone back to factory settings twice to see if this helps and it does not.   I would not recommend this phone.

Pros

Cons

• -Reboots every time I try to browse the internet. Takes forever to get back up.
  • -Reboots if I scroll through the desktop screens too fast.
  • -Can't watch streaming media or phone reboots.
  • -Horrible glare on screen when outdoors.
  • -Only way to answer a call is the touch screen. Sliding the bar is hard to do while driving.
  • -Lots of accidental calls using this phone. Slow to react to end the accidental call
  • -Camera slow to react
  • -Awkward to hold

Sherry MC
posted on 05 Sep 2010, 23:48

Not good!

I just received my 3rd backflip (warranty) and it doesn't work.  My 1st one was "possessed" - lost my phone book several times, came back, but then randomly assigned new #s to my pictures.  Then it wouldn't let me add pictures back to my phone numbers.  Lost calls, random numbers dialed.  Second phone would not ring.  I would call it from my landline and it would not ring nor would it notify me of a missed call.  Family/friends annoyed!  Received 3rd backflip yesterday.  After resetting everything, 6 hours after receipt, it would not ring.  Now AT&T is trying to settle with me for a totally different phone.  Not sure what to get - maybe it's AT&T.  Very unhappy with the many hours resetting my phone, replacing the sim card, hours on the phone with AT&T Tech and Warranty depts and now back to using my old pre-backflip phone.  Would not recommend.

Deinka
posted on 15 Aug 2010, 18:54

motorola backflip

I jumped on this phone only because it was the first android to come out for AT&T and have had it for a good while now.

What I like about this phone:
- the 5 MP camera has flash
- edit pictures and share straight to facebook or myspace or text message
- it's an android! and i like [mostly] free applications!
- speaker is pretty loud
- how you can track your phone via GPS if phone is lost/stolen & wipe all content (though i know there's an app for that too)
- it withstood a drop down a flight of stairs
- having a front-facing or ..back-..facing? camera

What I DON'T like about this phone:
- it runs slow SOMETIMES (I guess that's due to crowded homepages and running applications ..)
- speaking of, i have task killer, but it's annoying to have to constantly kill my apps -- they're just always running!
- it randomly restarts on its own (and it's takes forever to restart back up)
- the screen is a bit small for my liking.  makes using the touchscreen a little more difficult (like when clicking on links)
- and the touchscreen is too small for texting. i understand that's what the keyboard's for, but i don't always have 2 free hands. at least have swype texting for such a small screen!
- no multitouch (which would come in handy with having such a small screen)
- it has erased my music and even my installed applications
- the camera is .. not that great. pictures taken in dim lighting with the flash turn out blurry unless you have a steady...

Pros

• 5 MP camera with flash the can either face yourself or a subject
  • Android Market
  • Social networking widgets

Cons

• Lags
  • Poor battery life
  • Randomly restarts
  • No pinch to zoom
  • Small touchscreen
  • Butt dials
  • Knowing there's such better phones out on the market!

posted on 11 Jul 2010, 18:08

worst phone ive ever had slow freezes shuts off and turns back one for no reason all the time ive had two so far and a new battery and it still does it it pocket dials people all the time some how even though the screen is locked apps shut down unexpectedly all the time no third party apps allowed also when i click names to call from my phonebook it randomly calls another person in my phone book instead of the person that i selected do not buy this phone it is terrible

ChaCha
posted on 26 May 2010, 15:05

Android needs a slight update

Fully Customizable
Add ringtones to text message notificationscan't on iphone
Download free soundboards songs,tones,quotes
Everything saves automatically to my memory card
LOUD
Easy to text
Notification menu bar at top of screen is very useful and convenient
Vibrates on touch
Can insure
5 MP camera with FLASH-auto focus is great
Edits pics
automatically loads pics to my photobucket account
I can move and customize each page to my liking-not with just icons

Pros

Cons

• Laggy
  • Sometimes goes so slow I press the wrong buttons when im trying to text message or email
  • Autocancels me out of programs when internet slows or isn't working
  • Battery life is short but if you thyink about it-theres info streaming to the phone all day everyday like emails twitter myspace facebook ect

ur mom
posted on 15 May 2010, 21:53

dont get it. its horrible. i have my 3rd one and its still broken!!! its cool at forst but it works horribly!!!!

Pros

• everything else

Cons

• shuts down, slow, buttons dont work, freezes, always breaks, battery life, really annoying

Lorna
posted on 12 May 2010, 15:50

Back flip back flop

I thought this phone was cool at first but I soon realized the keybored was hard to use even though I had small fingers. No one can here me that great if the phone is closed. It is slow to react like when you press the camera button it takes a while to load. GREAT phone if you r addicted to twitter facebook that type of thing. It freezes alot. Goes blank alot. ooo it does have a GPS in it so if you loose it you can track it down.

Pros

• Facebook Twitter phone
  • GPS if you loose it you can find it

Cons

• SLOW reaction
  • Freezes
  • no way of controling the sesativity

sweetsammi
posted on 06 May 2010, 03:21

Good phone but having problem with a setting

I just got this phone and so far i really like it. The only thing is when on a call and I get a text message it rings. It really freaked me out the first time and I hung up on the person trying to get it to stop. I was told there is no way to stop this with out adding a text message app. does anyone know another way?

Pros

• locks so you dont call with your butt
  • easy to set up
  • links contacts with facebook and myspace
  • keyboard makes texting easier

Cons

• text message rings when on call
  • screen really sensitive to touch
  • Battery seems to die quick when listening to music

Fred
posted on 24 Apr 2010, 23:43

3 Days

I was interested in upgrading my phone, went and bought the Backflip, which I was happy with it. But honeymoon ended early, limited apps, I was looking for medical Apps, didn't found any relevant. It's a cellphone for facebook and texting.  Started setting it up so will be more the way i like it, but the problem started freezing up, and giving me errors, the clicker from the back stopped working, And that was just the second day. I returned the phone, and exchanged it for another phone.Thanks!!

Pros

• good for facebook and tweeter

Cons

• froze!!

Brendan
posted on 30 Mar 2010, 01:33

awesome but there are cons

I have had the phone for about a week and have noticed something wrong. I am a big camera/video person and my backflip (I don't know about others) has a bug where it sometimes restarts itself while in the camera. other than that, the phone is awesome. I went from iPhone to this and am loving it. so much customization among other things.

Janice
posted on 25 Mar 2010, 22:16

Not for small hands

I purchased this phone upgrading from Blackberry Curve 8310.  I have had it 2 weeks and cannot tolerate it any longer.  It is almost impossible to use the keyboard if your hands are too small--which mine are.  The touch screen key board was not spot on with where the letter/symbol was and where you touched it.  made for many times of retyping.  The Android platform is great!  Battery life is worse than horrible.  The other drawback is not having a 'phone only' option at night.  I don't want to hear the phone chime or vibrate while I am sleeping with every new 'notification' from facebook, twitter-email, whatever.  My Curve at least had a phone only option.  That is important.  I am taking it back, reversing my upgrade and going back to my bbry until something better--but not quite so long in the keyboard comes along.The other thing that bothered me--I kept a 'voice note' on my blackberry  of my 21 year old daughter's last phone call home from my answering machine--I still want to hear her voice every once in a while and would play it--but it did not show up in my ringtone list.  An the Backflip you cannot have voicenotes--and you can't keep it out of the ringtone list.  So everytime I changed a ringtone--I had to see it, and sometimes accidentally touch it and listen to it.  I would have to stop and have a good cry--can't always be doing that.

Pros

• picture quality
  • available apps
  • keys are good size but not for small hands
  • backtrack (the mousepad on the back of the screen)

Cons

• ease of use (I am tech savvy!)
  • keyboard too long for small thumbs
  • coudln't hold a signal 90% of the time
  • can't save a new phone # after the call--you must write it down and add thru contacts.

jd829
posted on 25 Mar 2010, 12:31 (Posts: 155; Member since: 24 Feb 2010)

Amazing!

This is my first Android handset, and I have been quite impressed.Traded in my blackberry bold for it, and I'm never going back. Android is super easy to use, and Motoblur is an absolute lifesaver. There was a problem with my sim card, so all my contacts were lost when I switched over. Through motoblur I was able to pull all the information I needed directly from my friend's facebook and myspace accounts.Camera is awesome, android market blows the pants off BB app world, great device that I would recommend to anyone!

Pros

• Android!
  • Great keyboard
  • amazing camera

Cons

• Weak battery life

robert olivas
posted on 16 Mar 2010, 05:15

great android starter

im new as an android user but not the OS. just bought it today and so far love the phone i used many smart phones but this one you could turn it in to one or just use its great media,messaging,social networking to make it in to your perfect partner on the road. internet is very  smooth and fast. just a tiny bit sluggish at times but not a bummer at all (barely noticeable). camera is good not great but it gets the job done. my only big con is OS 1.5 and the phone feels very fragile and buttery (easy to leave hands.....:-( )

Pros

• great android starter
  • great social network and messaging (email ect)
  • fast internet and downloads
  • decent camera

Cons

• android 1.5
  • feels to fragile for the outside world

gsmalltheway2
posted on 15 Mar 2010, 19:45

Best Phone

Wow Android is amazing!!! Its my first android phone and it is revolutionary. I love how smooth it is, its just as smooth as the iphone. The app store is waaaayyy faster then the apple one and you do not have to exit the whole app store when you press install.

Pros

Cons

• Nothing

Edward
posted on 15 Mar 2010, 16:32

Great phone!!!

I switched to this phone from my iphone because my screen cracked and they wanted me to pay $199 to fix it.  I felt i wanted to try another phone and boy was it a spring refresh.  I love the phone.  It is very open and customizable.  Its also good with people with big hands.

Pros

• -Moto Blur
  • -spacious keyboard and it has a nice feel to it
  • -Multitasks
  • -Can use voice and data at the same time
  • -the phone is loud
  • -the phone can be a desktop nite clock
  • -very responsive

Cons

• -battery life can be a little longer
  • -android version 1.5(which will be updated within 2months they told me)

Kristy
posted on 08 Mar 2010, 11:14

Fantastic!

I have only had the backflip for about a day. So far I like the overall phone. I am still figuring it out it though. The acutal keyboard is a little tricky still. I have to press down hard, and sometimes it feels stuck, but it works fine. It just seems to be certain keys.The applications are great, I have only downloaded a few since I haven't had time to really look for what apps I want.I was worried about the keyboard being open, but the sales rep said it wouldn't be a problem since it is sunk in a bit and locks.