Motorola ATRIX HD User Reviews

Build quality9.2/10
Text input9.2/10
Everyday usage9.2/10

nathanlacker
posted on 11 Feb 2014, 13:34 (Posts: 0; Member since: 11 Feb 2014)

Not the best, not the worst.

nathanlacker has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This was horrible when I first had it. All the stock apps and the stock rom and just everything was bad. It lagged, it was slow. Data had trouble connecting. It was just bad. Since then I have added cyanogenmod and it is such an improvement. Much snappier. Minimal lag. No reception problems. But in its stock form, it needs a lot of improvement.

Build quality 9/10 The phone is very solid and durable. One of the better things about it.
Reception 7/10 This is before I added cyanogenmod. Now I would rate it at about 8.
Call quality 9/10 Call quality was and still is good. Very efficient in noisy places.
Internet 4/10 Once again this is rated based off of before adding cyanogenmod. I could not connect to the internet anywhere but near my home.
Multimedia 7/10 It does okay with multimedia. I had issues that i never had with my old phone on some apps and social networks. But it didn't bother me a whole lot. Once again, issues were improved since adding cyanogenmod.
Camera 8/10 I think it is a pretty good camera. The settings are a bit tricky to figure out but the camera itself is alright.
UI speed 7/10 The stock UI is pretty laggy. It looks nice and it isnt terrible. But it could afford some improvements.
Everyday usage 8/10 Its pretty good for everyday usage.
Text input 8/10 This is probably the one phone that autocorrect is beneficial on. Without it a lot of typos will be made. But the autocorrect is very efficient.
Display 9/10 I previously had a samsung galaxy note. Obviously a phone with a large and beautiful display. But honestly I think this is better. It has sharper colors. And a higher pixel density. Overall a pretty good screen.
Battery 7/10 Once again, cyanogenmod made many improvements. Battery life was one of them. Before I added it I couldnt make it through a day unless I put my phone in airplane mode, or charged it at some point in the day. Now I can make it through a day and come home with about 50% battery or so without having to charge it or put it in airplane mode.

Pros

• Beautiful display.
  • Easy text input.
  • Camera is decent.
  • Calls quality is great.

Cons

• Poor battery life.
  • Laggy.
  • Poor reception.

WillG
posted on 06 Sep 2013, 11:19 (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 Jul 2012)

A Pretty Good to Really Good Phone

WillG has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

The Phone is pretty good. Sometimes it is great, but the battery can drain really fast, which is not good.

My camera on my replacement Atrix HD is not very good. My Atrix HD camera can NOT hold a candle to my wife's HTC One (That phone has a great camera).

But the Atrix HD does have really good reception and Very good Call quality; any cell phone that can't achieve a 9 or higher in that category should kick itself in the gut and call itself a "Nano Tablet".

Build quality 9/10 it's a sturdy phone and has gorilla glass which is great
Camera 5/10 i have had 2 Atrix HD's. the first one had a really good camera, the replacement HD's camera is not good at all. very disappointed with it.

Pros

• Love the Gorilla Glass
  • and Like the "no death by water"
  • It has a sturdy feel

Cons

• Battery drains pretty fast
  • My Camera is a big disappointment
  • UI Speed can slow down quite a bit with lots of apps on the phone

WillG alternatives:

snowgator
posted on 15 Jun 2013, 17:32 (Posts: 3262; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)

A quality effort from Moto.

snowgator has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I am a long standing Moto fan, so when my son had to warrenty out his Sony Experia TL and they had none to replace it with, we lept onto the Atrix HD when offered in t's place. No, the battery life is not as bad as some will claim. Yes, it is not as good as some other smart phones. But the screen is great, call quality is good (a true step back from Sony, which has about the best call quality of any manufacturer), and the performance is very dependable. I like the UI, I find it a great compliment to the Android OS. I think the camera is average but a good shooter. As I write this, this is now a "mid range" type device. It's a great device for use as a basic smartphone. It is okay with multi-media, but I would not advise it for those who want a ton of movies/streaming videos. But for web surfing, uploading to social sites, and music I find it a good buy.

Build quality 9/10 Very good build. No kevlar, but a solid phone.
Reception 9/10 No problems.
Call quality 8/10 Clear, but not exceptional.
Internet 8/10 No huge lag, but some "hesitation". Nothing that detracts from the experience, just not among the best.
Multimedia 7/10 The small amount of stutter from the heavy web load up times will make for some problems with heavy multimedia content. But for basic use I expect all users will be pleased.
Camera 8/10 Niether my son nor I are anything more then basic point and shoot types. No shudder lag, focus is decent.
UI speed 9/10 I find Motorola's UI on this fun, and simplistic.
Everyday usage 9/10 A good choice.
Text input 9/10 Good space on screen for the keyboard of your choice. Smooth and responsive.
Display 9/10 Excellent and vibrant.
Battery 8/10 Will get you through the day.

Pros

• great screen
  • nice build
  • good reception
  • excellent response to commands

Cons

• Multimedia and complex web sites take their time loading

Muamer_Kodzaga
posted on 17 Feb 2013, 15:12 (Posts: 0; Member since: 17 Feb 2013)

Grat phone no bugs

Muamer_Kodzaga has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

i had no problems with the phone. it reaches 5300 points on quadrant, runs every new android game and it is silky smooth. I love the clock widget that motorola has installed. Camera is perfect! It takes fast shots, 1080p video no bad side

tkvdog
posted on 14 Feb 2013, 12:27 (Posts: 46; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)

Motorola Rocks It Big Time

tkvdog has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I really enjoy using the Motorola Atrix HD. I was worried about getting it with the reviews saying the camera and battery life were not good. I can say I am quiet happy with the phone. I get about 9-11 hours out of the battery with heavy use. The camera does leave something to be desired, but I think future updates and patches can fix the image processing. The last disappointment was no NFC. But am I really going to use it other than for a cheap party trick to transfer a photo? No, probably not. Combined with AT&T's LTE network, the Atrix HD is a great phone and an excellent upgrade from the previous Atrix models.

Pros

• Its Motrola Duh!

Cons

• Not Many

fervid
posted on 27 Nov 2012, 12:50 (Posts: 173; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)

Motorola let me down again with their ATT lineup

fervid has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

They should have went more Razr Maxx style. Some of the design of this just felt cheap. Poor battery and hardware freezes/lockups got annoying fast. Motorola has the quality they just don't know how to apply it and use it properly. They seem to give Verizon the better phones and ATT just gets left overs. For one of the few remaining American companies I expected more.

Call quality 9/10 A little muffled and robotic.
Camera 8/10 Good enough, but not great.
Display 9/10 Colorboost didn't do much, just make it more like the HTC One X line.
Battery 6/10 Horrible battery. Needed minimum 2100 just to get a day.

jaccol2012
posted on 08 Oct 2012, 11:28 (Posts: 0; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)

Motorola is Back !

jaccol2012 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Couple days ago, we bought two Motorola's ATRIX HD (we upgraded them from HTC and Dell). I needed one day to customize both phones. This phone is very intuitive. Without any problems I removed all useless apps (factory installed) and installed apps suiting our needs. As a system this phone is very flexible. You will need is to buy ext. SDHC memory card (about $10 investment). Reception and call quality is excellent (way better than HTC). Display quality is astonishing. I compared picture quality with Samsung Galaxy S III with AMOLED display (side by side, same video, same source) and I can’t favor advantage of AMOLED. This TFT quality is fantastic.
I tested ATRIX HD as GPS navigation in my car. Results were as expected - fast satellite acquiring and accurate positioning (less than 200ft lag on moving maps).
Internet connection. As an average home user, you will not see the difference (connection speed) comparing to other phones (compared with Samsung).
Camera quality is a disappointment. Pictures are sharp, but you need to process them in Photoshop (if you need great pictures better buy a digital camera).
Battery is the biggest disappointment. Non user changeable Li-Poly battery. Battery is draining fast (better buy a car charger), but also is charging relatively fast. Battery life span and charging cycles are academic.

Bottom line, it's a nice, well built phone (finally US brand).
If you need it for gaming, buy a gaming console. If you need HDTV, buy 60" 3D plasma.
But... If...

Pros

• Call quality
  • Display quality
  • Fast
  • Media playout

• Camera could be better
  • Clymsy factory internet browser
  • Small internal memory

jaccol2012 alternatives:

MACKSnare519
posted on 06 Oct 2012, 22:46 (Posts: 0; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)

Great device for the price!

MACKSnare519 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

A very well put together device. Top notch screen and specs. My only real complaint is the little AT&T logo at the bottom. It seems out of place. I also would have preferred capacitive touch buttons instead of onscreen buttons.

Pros

• Large HD Screen
  • Fast processor

Madawg
posted on 19 Aug 2012, 19:42 (Posts: 0; Member since: 19 Sep 2011)

best phone out

Madawg has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Just the best phone out. I have had almost every phone but this is the best i have ever owned. Hands down the easiest to operate with all androids features. If your looking for a reasonable priced phone with quality this your phone. Used to be an HTC fan and love Samsung but Motorola tops them both.

Pros

• everything a phone should be

Cons

• haven't found one

Madawg alternatives:

monkeyboyep
posted on 21 Jul 2012, 15:42 (Posts: 0; Member since: 21 Jul 2012)

Nice Step Up From Atrix 4G

monkeyboyep has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Build quality 9/10 The kevlar back is really cool. The phone feels really light and sturdy. I really like all of the hardware inside. I just wish it had NFC.
Reception 9/10 AT&T LTE network works really well in Chicago, but it isn't everywhere yet.
Call quality 10/10 Calls sounds fantastic on both ends.
Internet 9/10 LTE is fast!
Multimedia 10/10 I love a stock experience and Google Play provides all the multimedia. I love it.
Camera 8/10 Its good...but definitely leave a lot to be desired.
UI speed 10/10 Supafast! The Snapdragon S4 chip lets the HD handle anything with ease.
Everyday usage 10/10 The phone works.
Text input 10/10 Stock ICS keyboard or Swype. Both are great and there is really no need to add something different.
Display 10/10 The Colorboost screen really shoes.
Battery 8/10 I generally get about 9-11 hours. Not great, but not as bad as reviews make it out to be.

Pros

• ICS
  • Snapdragon S4
  • Colorboost Screen
  • Lightweight
  • AT&T LTE Network

• No NFC