x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Motorola ATRIX 4G Discussions
  • Options
    Close

If I used the Atrix 4G on T-Mobile (US)....

BigJ (unregistered) 21 Jan 2011, 14:58 posted on

would it sync up with T-Mobile's 4G network?

posted on 25 Jan 2011, 11:52

1. protozeloz (Posts: 5369; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)

i dont think it will give you 4G or 3G (at least based on the info from the phonearena webpage) but i have high hopes the rumored pentaband might change this (at least on 3G)
don't know how at&t will manage their 3G (all I've heard its gonna use LTE) if so T-mobile has no LTE yet so its not gonna work on '4G' but will have to wait and see

posted on 30 Jan 2011, 11:01

2. AtrixMan (unregistered)

I am not 100% sure about this but it should work on the tmobile network.
AT&T right now is planning to have both LTE and HSPA+ as 4G and eventually going to just do LTE but as of now it will have both.

Atrix 4G is supposed to be HSPA+ device so theoretically it should work on T-Mobile's network and take full advantage of its 4G network....

posted on 10 Feb 2011, 08:57

3. Kevin (unregistered)

You will NOT get anthing faster than Edge because of AT&T an T-Mobile having different UMTS bands.

posted on 03 Mar 2011, 14:46

4. njf (unregistered)

as Kevin said, AT&T phones & T-mobiles phones have two different UMTS sets which control the 3g/4g bandwidth...For all AT&T phones, they are all missing the key UMTS1700 (or AWS) which this is the downlink for T-mobile.

so if u put the t-mo sim on your artix 4G all you can see is the big "E" on top of the notification bar.

posted on 09 Sep 2011, 09:32

5. aahsid (unregistered)

good to know. but does anyone know how the UMTS is implemented on phones. does it have to do anything with phone software or hardware?

posted on 29 Sep 2011, 22:10

6. haggisbreath (unregistered)

it's strictly hardware, which is tuned to only send and recieve on certain bands. It's kind of like getting an AM only radio (remember those?) to receive FM, or an AM/FM to receive shortwave

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories