LG Vortex User Reviews

Battery7.4/10
Reception8.8/10
Display8.5/10

mel2000
posted on 08 Dec 2013, 11:32 (Posts: 0; Member since: 08 Dec 2013)

Great Phone Value if Rooted

mel2000 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This phone is especially easy to root with Gingerbreak, and once rooted you can use a Link2SD app to make the stingy storage allocation issue go away.

Granted, it helps to be a tinkerer because your SD card will need to be partitioned, but it's not hard to do. Once rooted you can remove some bloatware and can offload other apps to your SD card, where it belongs. I have had this phone for more than 2 years now and have no problems with it.

Pros

• A great bargain phone that does everything well...once rooted.

Cons

• Takes rooting and partitioning to overcome stingy memory

dawn70
posted on 25 Jan 2013, 20:28 (Posts: 0; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)

frustrated

dawn70 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Since shortly after getting this phone almost 2 years ago, and replacing it once for this reason, I constantly get a 'low storage space' message. It declines texts when this happens, and I find myself having to delete all but one application that I've downloaded. I am constantly deleting emails--spam and trash, just to keep the phone clear enough to function. I have had to do a factory reset on this phone probably 10 times since I've owned it for it to operate again. I can't wait to get rid of it in 2 weeks. I'm considering the LG spectrum, but if I have the same issues with it, then goodbye forever LG. I am beyond frustrated with the insufficient space on this phone. It is a daily battle to keep it functioning.

Pros

• great call quality, easy navigation and texting, good battery life.

Cons

• poor storage space

victor1997
posted on 10 Feb 2013, 15:44 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)

good phone, but no flash!

victor1997 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

the phone is meh. slow processor, reception. the sucky part is the memory and the camera. sure you get the good things but the camera sucks and it has no flash! overall the phone is ok, ive had better though...the only competition is the motorola citrus! thank god i upgrade to the DROID RAZR M!!!!

Build quality 10/10 pretty solid
Internet 2/10 so damn slow!!!1
Multimedia 5/10 who in the hell uses bing?!
Camera 7/10 its was so-so...but no flash
UI speed 4/10 took a pretty long damn times
Text input 6/10 its frustrating when you can't type with big fingera
Display 5/10 lg phones always have bad screens

• signal
  • call quality
  • bright display

Cons

• memory
  • too much bloatware might be considering on rooting the phone
  • small keyboard
  • 3.2 inch display

victor1997 alternatives:

ranzsias
posted on 14 Nov 2012, 22:43 (Posts: 0; Member since: 14 Nov 2012)

Has a few issues

ranzsias has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

the phone has some issues with the camera (focus) and memory for running services, as well as issues with text input and prediction accuracy. Works OK for everyday use at home or on the job. Good reception and call quality most of the time. Very good WiFi antennae! I can pick up and use my home WiFi half a block away if i have the dog out or visiting a neighbor.

Build quality 8/10 durable design. decent battery life.
Multimedia 3/10 Too much phone memory is taken by the operating system and pre-installed unremovable software that doesn't even function at the level of the free market app (ie: Facebook for LG!, Open Office, etc) leaving Virtually no room for messages, contacts and apps. Please note: if these were removable via application management this would not be such an issue.
Camera 2/10 The Auto Focus feature is very out of focus causing blurry photographs at best, and the manual zoom takes too long to access and is too slow. Overall quality of photos not very good at all.
UI speed 5/10 sometimes unresponsive.
Everyday usage 7/10 very few functional issues. did i mention durable? Durable.
Text input 6/10 accuracy issues (the sensor picks up up to a half inch from where i touch in random directions, and there is no calibration available.
Display 8/10 Crisp image display, limited zoom. Again, crappy camera.
Battery 7/10 not too bad on battery life.

Pros

• durable
  • battery lasts about one to one and half days when fully charged

Cons

• little memory
  • pre-installed un removable rip offs of market apps that are free with less functionality than the the free app from the market clog up memory required for contacts, text messages, and apps

hardtoport
posted on 11 Aug 2011, 13:31

Great Android phone!

hardtoport has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Thought I'd add my $.02 to this discussion on the Vortex. Got it as a free Verizon upgrade to replace my POS Samsung Sega with the Windows 6.5 Mobile OS. I couldn't be happier with this phone. Love the form factor, quality of the construction. The Android OS is perfect for this device. I've had a few freezes that require a battery pull to jumpstart, but that's been the only negative I can report.

Pros

• form factor
  • build quality
  • reasonably good battery life
  • Android OS
  • no cost upgrade from Verizon

Cons

• had a few freezes that require a battery pull
  • inputs from the keyboard (most likely a user problem)
  • can't download Google Earth :-(

Joe
posted on 04 Aug 2011, 11:06

I LOVE THIS THING!

Joe has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I got this thing for Christmas, and i love it! great internet connection, WIFI, calling sounds great, memory isnt so shabby, battery life could be a little better, but overall great phone, i suggest it to anyone(: its also a great music player, i have over 200 songs on my Vortex. sometimes the apps are a little slow, but its not unbareable.

Pros

• great music player
  • WIFI capability
  • Great Call quality
  • Good Camera

Cons

• short battery life

Kiley
posted on 22 Jul 2011, 16:57

I

Kiley has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I love this phone and obsessing over it like every minute! I dont have it yet because my upgrade isnt up till next june sobs sobs :'( but some people i know have this phone and its really an interesting fun touch phone and i cant wait to get it :) :)

Pros

• every thing

Bradd71
posted on 09 Jul 2011, 20:26

LG Vortex

Bradd71 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Awesome phone, this is my first Adroid phone and I am very happy happy with it. Easy to use and very excited to learn more about the device. The only thing thing I don't like are some of the apps on the market place that say free but are not. If they app is to be free and i am charged I will dispute.. Not sure how others feel about the free apps that are not really free..

Pros

• Easy to use

Cons

• Battery not the best and dies fast

Rachel0117
posted on 07 Jul 2011, 21:59 (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 Jul 2011)

Eh okay phone

Rachel0117 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Overall it was okay but has freezing glitches. It turns to a verizon screen when it glitches for me and i have to pull out the battery and put it back in to get it to work. I cant take pictures anymore on my vortex because it says my "SD Card is damaged" when i dont even have one.. and you dont need one to take pictures! My whole picture memory was erased one day because of thiss. But besides these glitches the vortex has a easy to understand setup and design. There are many apps you can use and great picture quality ( if only i could use it!!) . The only thing i dislike about the camera is the fact that i have turn it around myself to take a picture of me. The text input can be okay but sometimes it goes too slow when i type fast. It messes up the letters and ends up putting something i didnt type. My battery was great at first on the LG Vortex but then started gettting worse and worse.. now a full battery on my phone only lasts me about 12- 14 hours.

Pros

• camera quality
  • nice setup
  • easy to understand setup&design
  • nice build ( not huge but not too small)
  • good apps

Cons

• have to turn the camera to take a pic of yourself
  • glitches and freezes on verizon screen
  • keyboard too slow
  • battery time

pup
posted on 29 Jun 2011, 23:01

ok phone

pup has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Its OK the battery is the WORST it freezes it glitches at times but its an OK phone this was my first smart phone but the camera is good but when u type u type faster than it writes I would suggest getting a hard case for it oh and my phone cord broke within 2 months or so

Pros

• sturdy
  • clear call quality

Jokertat
posted on 12 Apr 2011, 05:29

AWESOME PHONE

Jokertat has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I realy like my vortex but the only thing I dislike about it is adobe needs to come out with a driver for it.. U can not stream video yes its droid 2.0 but no driver for the phone it self.. The damn apps opening up SUCKS ass... drains the batt... there is some pretty good task killers. Cam is pretty good... I use it for work also I work in a steelmill around allot of dirt and just dust... Im having a hard time with the usb plug. But as soon as I stop by the local air station Blow it out and it works for a day or to.. Got a kick ass case for it... Droped it from my top pocket it feel about ten feet broke the batt and cover out the phone.... put it togeather and it WORKS GREAT!!! I do have aproblem with the dang swipe and transfering pics but thats just me.... I would say its a good phone....GEt it try it!!!

Pros

• Feel
  • Cam
  • Got myself a mini pc

Cons

• Batt life
  • no covers on the headphone jack or power suply
  • THe phone just seems open to what ever wants to go in
  • The damn apps that open and close as they want...
  • Gps keeps turning itself on

lagoldog
posted on 08 Apr 2011, 22:43 (Posts: 0; Member since: 08 Apr 2011)

Not a great phone

lagoldog has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I was really disappointed. This is a really cheap phone. It feels cheap and the touch screen is unresponsive. It freezes up. The keyboard is terrible and swype only. Full of bloatware and worse, bing. I returned it right away, not a good choice.
Buy something else. Don't waste your time.

Build quality 3/10 The touchscreen is cheap
Reception 3/10 Static
Call quality 3/10 Dropped call during activation
Internet 2/10 Didn't get this far before I boxed it up.
Camera 2/10 Didnt try

• Appearance

Cons

• Quality

Rick
posted on 12 Mar 2011, 17:38

Wonderful

Rick has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Wonderful phone. Just got it for christmas and I absolutely love it. Great camea. Great everything. I do reccomend that you switch the keyboard to android because the swipe is small and hard to use. Very nice battery life and nice selection of applications. Get This phone.

Pros

• Nothing good about this phone.

Cons

• This phone sucks. I hate it

Pat
posted on 22 Feb 2011, 14:03

Computer Engineer (Software programmer)

Pat has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Most technological device on the market right now for the price! I wouldn't suggest going any other phone! I've used the iPhone on AT&T (Although not the Verizon one yet) and although the device itself was great, the service and provider was horrible! I decided to go with Verizon and I chose this phone. Now I have the best service available AND the device is better than the iPhone 3GS!

Build quality 1/10 Solid frame that feels right in your hand
Reception 1/10 Never lost even one bar so far
Call quality 1/10 Crystal Clear both ways!
Internet 1/10 Incredibly easy to navigate
Multimedia 1/10 Better than my iPod!
Camera 1/10 I use this now instead of my Sony Cybershot
UI speed 1/10 Incredibly responsive when I press any button
Everyday usage 1/10 Always there when I need it and always reliable
Text input 1/10 Been texting on this thing like I'm some sort of author writing a book!
Display 1/10 So vibrant and detailed
Battery 1/10 Exceptionally long given how much I use it

Pros

Cons

• Nothing

Lgurl
posted on 13 Feb 2011, 22:27 (Posts: 0; Member since: 13 Feb 2011)

This is AWESOM3

Lgurl has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I love this phone so much! Even though, I do not own it yet. I still want it. But, my plan doesn't expire until next year, which makes me sad. But I have heard only good things about this phone. Every time I walk into Verizon, I immediately look at this phone. This phone has a great weight, size, shape, and its features are amazing! I am so excited to get this phone, i hope that next year will come soon!!!

Pros

• Weight
  • Shape
  • Features
  • Color Option (always a first)

Cons

• Nothing what so ever!

princess94
posted on 10 Jan 2011, 21:31

i love my vortex

princess94 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

i freaking love this phone ! i got it for christmas and im already in love with it in less than a month. this is my first smartphone and i am enjoying it. I get great reception and my battery lasts me if i dont use the internet or the market app. other than that no problems..although i wish there was a way to take pictures on the side or something because its really hard taking pictures of myself...o well ! i still like it anywho and i even name it black baby !! this phone is awesome

Pros

Cons

• no side camera button

Skinner2002
posted on 08 Jan 2011, 14:26

Her lg vortex

Skinner2002 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

My girl friend has this phone. I have the evo and she thinks fire some reason it is better than my evo. I have to say it is a cute phone for what it is. I see it as a girly phone cuase it comes in purple. Argue if you want but it is an over all a nice phone. It is just not the best phone out. Every one has what they like and she seems to love this phone. Although that is what she said about her black berry when she first got it.

Display 5/10 I put this so low cuase it can't text on her screen. Iam used to my large evo screen.

Pros

• Small and girly

Cons

• Needs more phone cover options
  • Bing

Micah
posted on 18 Dec 2010, 05:06

Vortex is a very good budget smartphone.

Micah has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I do not own this phone, but have used it a good bit. It is definetely a good entry level Android based smartphone. For the ones complaining about not being able to remove preinstalled apps, there are ways of doing this. The 600mhz processor is plenty fast enough for everyday use. The display is amazing for a budget phone. The camera is very good for what it is. The UI is very responsive, especially for it being the newest major release of Android 2.2 codename Froyo. And for the comment about apps opening by themselves and the alarm playing different tones other than the ones picked, try learning to use the phone before you criticize it. And even if you did spend 200 more dollars on another phone, it would do the same thing, if you do not know how to use it. In my opinion the LG Vortex is a great phone. You by far get more than you pay for with this one.

Pros

• compact yet pretty powerful
  • can read almost any file type
  • all out gets the job done

Cons

• needs a flash for the camera, but hey, its a phone first not a camera
  • could have more internal memory but almost anything can store on the micro sd
  • really no major cons for this phone

Micah alternatives:

Chad
posted on 17 Dec 2010, 18:36

Chad has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I got this phone off verizon.com for the one day sale for free! its a great little phone.. i can do just about anything on this phone and still fits in my pocket!! I do mae a segestion if you get this phone change the text input from the swype to the andoid keyboard. the swype will just make you angry and isnt worth your time!! oh and also get a text message pop up app because the phone doesnt notify you with anything but a sound unless you get one of the many free mesaging apps. overall get this phone and you wont regret it!!

Chad alternatives:

LOOOOOVE THIS PHONE
posted on 16 Dec 2010, 20:06

LOVE THIS PHONE

LOOOOOVE THIS PHONE has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

i have never owned a more amazing phone in my life! buy it buy it buy it. i used to have a blackberry and my friend talked me into this phone when it was buy one get one. best thing i have ever done was to get this incredible awesome amazing luscious phone

Pros

• LOVE THIS PHONE

Cons

• NOTHING

mylo121
posted on 12 Dec 2010, 10:52

awesome

mylo121 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

i love this phone. i have not had a single problem yet. the camera is less than great though.
i am even more excited than the day i got it. i wonder what this person means about how a nokia is better. yeah right. lg makes an excellent product and i am very pleased.

Pros

• speed
  • responsive touchscreen
  • seems like you're talking into a landline--great call quality

Cons

• camera..
  • small-ish keyboard (swype)

Catch22
posted on 10 Dec 2010, 13:25

Catch22 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've had this phone for about 3 weeks now and it's been great. Me and my wife finally upgraded to our first smart phones and we decided to buy 2 Vortex phones...and it's been really great. I actually saved money by using the Google navigation feature instead of the VZ navigator...have unlimited Talk and Text with a family share, and also added the unlimited data plan for $30...frankly it's been like carrying a little laptop around in my pocket...stellar. I also use the phone for my work and it has done everything I've asked...and then some. No problem at all opening e-mail attachments...even excel and word.

Pros

• Voice Dial and Voice Texting have saved me a ton of time.
  • Opens my Excel spreadsheets
  • Google Navigation is free with the phone...saves me money on a nav system, or VZ Navigator...which I used to pay for
  • Great Camera

Cons

• Touch screen is a little touchy...I'm sure I'll get used to it

ekd
posted on 09 Dec 2010, 18:59

ekd has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This is my first smart phone. Phone is easy to use. Don't let all that hype about not being able to remove preinstalled software/apps worry you. Basically it's like your desktop on your pc--just there in standby mode. It's like a mini netbook that makes phonecalls. So far phone seems rugged enough. Android software is easy to use. Touch screen is the Best One I've ever come across, a lot of screens don't even register me and this one works even when I wear gloves! Battery life has been very satisfactory. If just using as a phone, you're good for the weekend. If surfing the internet continuous, about 5 hours. If this is going to be your first smartphone, then get the Vortex. If you already had a smart phone and looking to upgrade don't look here because for some reason or another you will not like this phone.

Build quality 9/10 Seems rugged enough so far- - has case & screen protector
Reception 10/10 Works as good as or better than my old chocolate 3
Call quality 10/10 Voices sound normal
Internet 10/10 Works good. Quick downloads. Hate Bing & need Google--just down load the app.
Multimedia 9/10 Haven't watched whole movie yet.
Camera 8/10 Nice pics but no flash.
Everyday usage 10/10 Phone calls. Emails. Internet morning newspaper. Musicplayer. Does the trick.
Text input 9/10 Still Qwerty
Battery 9/10 Haven't watched movie yet, but right now I say it's good.

Rhett
posted on 09 Dec 2010, 12:12

Ick

Rhett has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Really hate this phone. While the overall look and feel of the phone is quite nice, the preinstalled apps cannot be uninstalled, you have one of the worst search engines on the planet built in (Bing), and it freezes/apps need to be forced closed/things change without me doing anything!(i.e. alarm has been set 4 different times to the ringer I want, and-now five times-it's woken me up with a different sound. Different apps will randomly open and then take forever to close. Very sad I didn't spend the extra 200 dollars and get an android.

Pros

• great for apes
  • good display
  • nice feel
  • good calling

Cons

• battery stinks
  • bing stinks
  • camera STINKS
  • keyboard is very small, both ways
  • did not come with book
  • may cause you to wish you still had a flip phone

leesa
posted on 04 Dec 2010, 13:05 (Posts: 0; Member since: 04 Dec 2010)

LG Vortex

leesa has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I just got this phone and I love it. It is easy to use, esp for someone that has never owned a smartphone before. The texting is taking me a while to get used to but thats ok. As far as the battery life, I'm not sure what one user was saying about 3 hours. I get a full day if not more on a full charge.