LG VX8550 User Reviews

Battery5.3/10
Reception8.7/10
Text input7.3/10

vincent95
posted on 19 Jan 2013, 12:52 (Posts: 17; Member since: 19 May 2012)

Great phone, would still have it if I didn't have a smartphone

vincent95 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I used to own this phone before the days of the smartphone. It was an awesome phone, and I loved using it. I would still have it if 1.) I didn't have a smartphone and 2.) It had a QWERTY keyboard. Other than that, it's a great phone for someone who wants a stylish and pretty basic phone that you can load music files onto.

Build quality 10/10 Great build quality
Reception 10/10 Usually got good reception
Call quality 10/10 Call quality was nice, I guess
Internet 1/10 Never used Internet, didn't have the feature when I owned the phone
Multimedia 10/10 Buying music from VCAST was great, but trying to put music onto it from my computer didn't work. :(
Camera 3/10 Had only a 1.3 MP camera
UI speed 10/10 Was pretty fast
Everyday usage 10/10 Would work great for an everyday phone
Text input 5/10 No QWERTY keyboard
Display 5/10 A bit small
Battery 10/10 Battery was pretty good

Pros

• Great phone

Cons

• Hard to put music onto from computer

vincent95 alternatives:

bassmaster39401995
posted on 28 Nov 2011, 12:03 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Nov 2011)

decent phone

bassmaster39401995 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I have had this phone since 2008, so there have been some problems. the battery is bipolar (both of the ones i've had were) and the camera no longer works (whenever i try to take a pic or vid, the whole phone freezes requiring battery removal). Also, txt messages sometimes take 4 or 5 tries to send, which is very frustrating. Otherwise, this phone is very durable and has been dropped/stepped on numerous times and works. there is some lag to the buttons and the internet, and the internet and rapid txting will draw the battery down quickly.

Pros

• not too bulky
  • pretty durable
  • good amount of customization options
  • speaker is pretty clear
  • scroll wheel is cool and fun to use
  • touch buttons are relatively sensitive
  • pretty easy to get used to

Cons

• messages sometimes take a few times to send
  • internet is only for looking stuff up mainly
  • can be slippery, especially scroll wheel
  • buttons often lag
  • charge often

Laena
posted on 07 Jul 2011, 16:34

Sucky Phone

Laena has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone is ok. I have has it since Christmas and I was happy with it then but not now. Its very...tough. I drop this phone all the time and it has not broke. I do have some scratches on my screen but I can still see the screen. Texting is pretty easy. The battery is really bad. If I talk to someone for 5 minutes the battery goes down to 1 bar and back up to 3. Very bi-polar battery. I have to charge it at LEAST once a day but usally two times. The sensors are ok but they freeze up sometimes and dont work. The camera is pretty bad. It gets the job done though. At least it has zoom. No flash which irritates me. The internet is really bad. Takes forever to load and wastes all battery life, best bet is to use the internet while charging. I have a computer so I don't use the internet at all. I also hate how small the screen is. I would reccomend this phone to a 7 year old cause it will not break. At least im getting a smartphone soon so I can return this piece of crap phone. I DO NOT reccomend this phone to anyone.

Battery 2/10 Horrible battery

Pros

• Texting
  • Duriable
  • Call reciption

• Internet

misaki
posted on 26 Aug 2010, 12:31

durable ok phone

well what can i say? it's an ok phone.i have to say, this is phone is pretty durable. i am REALLY clumsy. i once dropped this fone down two flights of stares and it survivied. dropped on gravel. still alive. dropped it on floor. still alive.tho like any fone, you cant get it wet. i mean if u just washed ur hands or something nd u didnt dry 'em then it doesnt really affect the fone.a s long as the water doesn't get into the battery pack.the color is real pretty too, the ice blue one, which saved me from having to buy a case.it doesn't have much storage space though, so you should get an usb card. also sometimes when you try to set a picture you took as a wallpaper some of it gets cut out. one thing that really bothers me is that the camera doesn't have flash. and its no fun editing the pictures coz u can only zoom, crop, and rotate. it can record videos though and tht makes me happy. u take videos and record for as long as you want.they arent many themes- only 3 so it gets boring after a while. tho u can customize the clock on ur front screen.ive had this fone for two years and needed to replace it twice- once i got it wet (like really wet) and the 2nd... idk it wuldnt charge rite.also if ur a heavy txter u need to charge it once a day. i just do it over nite wen im aslpthe touch senser is good too. u can control the sensitivity.

Pros

• -durable
  • -can record videos
  • -customizable
  • -fun touch sensor and scrolly wheel. my friends love to play with it
  • -pretty color

Cons

• --can withstand alot of texting
  • -not alot of storage space
  • -no flash
  • -nota good camera

posted on 08 Aug 2010, 18:53

This phone is indestructible. Seriously. I dropped it loads of times (slippery, you need to put jewels or a case on it) and it never broke. It has been my first phone and I can't wait to replace it next month. It is very boring and the internet function, which it does have, sucks! My phone was once at 4 bars energy and dropped down to 2 when I want to find the definition of a word. It later popped back up to 3 bars. The battery has a long stand-by time but can be unpredictable. You have to buy an accessory to get music, so if you don't want to spend extra money you are SOL.I do like the design a lot though. Friends ask to let them play with the nav disk. It really is indestructible. I send it zooming off tables for fun.

Pros

• indestructible
  • good battery
  • perfect basic phone
  • cool design

Cons

• battery is sometimes unpredictable
  • internet is awful
  • boring
  • slippery
  • camera isn't all that great

Lacie Burns
posted on 01 Nov 2009, 20:37

My Very 2nd Phone

this was my second phone i loved it i only went through 2 of these phones but of corse the first time i was careless and was mad so when i stuck the charger in the charging slot i broke it. I have had this phone for at least 3 years. If you drop it alot then yes it WILL scratch but hey what phone is SCRATCH PROOF? I have had some awesome times with my phone. After 2 years you might want to replace it because i have had it for 3 years and now IT IS ACTING SO STUPID! When i try to type a message it reads "come trick or treating at my house" because that was the last message i was able to send. Also when i press the END button it shows up the caller thingy and says 13 seconds. So today i had to get a new phone that is not in stores yet, but i am going to get it. I am keeping the tradition with my chocolate because i am getting the CHOCOLATE TOUCH. Like i said i have had some good time with this phone but if you are clumsy like i am then i would not reccomend it for you.

Pros

• GREAT PICTURES
  • EASY TO FIGURE OUT
  • DURABLE
  • LEFT IT IN 1 INCH OF RAIN AND WHEN I DRIED IT IT STILL WORKED
  • EASY TO CARRY AROUND

Cons

• FREEZES UP IN WINTER TIME

alexis
posted on 11 Oct 2009, 06:38

lg chocolate

i had horrible luck with this phone! i had it for less than a year and thank god i had a one-year insurance policy. i went through 3 or 4 and all of them worked well for a week than eventually when i went to charge it, thhe charger would just fall out. if i shut it just a little harder than it would shut off, it would randomly shut off also. i would have loved this phone if it werent for the problems.

Pros

• good features
  • nice design
  • good camera
  • the slide is nice

Cons

• the battery charging
  • shuts off randomly
  • cannot be touched by watter what so ever

Alex M.
posted on 10 Oct 2009, 07:27

Tired of it!

I've had this phone since 2007, when it was shiny and new, and even the commecials made my mouth water (hence the name Chocolate).  But now it's Oct. 2009, and I have noticed many problems with this phone!

Well first off, i can see my fingerprints even when my hands are competely clean!
The touch-sensitive buttons don't work during the winter when my fingers are cold
The features i read about online aren't as good as i thought
 Akward design, it looks okay but the touch sensitive buttons are pressed against my face and are activated then.
Terrible battery life!!
Buttons TOO SMALL.
The SD card doesnt read when you turn the phone on, you have to take it out and put it back in everytime you turn it on.  (Now the SDcard doesnt work AT ALL!!!)

Well now for the good aspects on this piece of FAIL:

Looks okay i guess....
Charging doesn't take long, but i need to constantly charge it.
Okay design options
Doesnt Scratch well

I guess thats it, i think that I wouldn't reccommned this phone to ANYONE, unless you like problems!  I'm very happy that I'm getting a new phone soon and that this phone will be discontinued!!

(PS, i am sorry for my terrible english!)

Pros

• External design it okay, and i like the sliding feature.
  • Short charging period
  • Design options okay
  • Doesn't scratch as much as i thought

Cons

• Fingerprins are clearly seen!
  • Touch sensitive buttons aggravate me!
  • Pointless features! No fun in that!
  • Battery life - dies in ONE DAY!!
  • Buttons are too small!
  • Phone can't read SD Cards---must take out and place back in every time its turned on.

Jenn Siler
posted on 20 Aug 2009, 23:23

Had this phone for more than a year now

At first I was really disappointed with the small texting buttons. The phone I wanted with my free 2 year contract was not available.
This phone has a great mp3 player, VERY SHARP photos that I have had printed out and many people have made comments on such great pictures!
The key thing about this phone is you have to have small fingers, pointy ones in fact, and be VERY SMART. It's one of those phones with 4 red touch screen buttons arond the directional pad. Those Buttons will make you crazy if you don't know how not to touch them when talking on the phone. I tilt my phone out and wait 2 seconds and then the phone will lock back up so you won't have to worry, but pay attention to how long it takes so you know how long to wait.
The headset I bought plugs into the charger port so I can listen to music while i workout and I loved it but, now it's time to replace it. It lasted a whole year tho. This phone looks like it's in mint condition and nothing has ever broke on it after I got it in May 2008 and it is August 2009 now. I plan on keeping it for another year.
Just keep in mind if you buy this phone, you need tiny fingers, you need to be phone smart, and then you can use it just fine.

Pros

• mp3 player loads like 200 songs
  • sharp images from the camera (don't take pictures in the dark, DUH!)
  • nice and small
  • Contacts and Message link right on the touch screen
  • Battery lasts a long time (remember if you always let your phone die, that hurts the battery, I took good care of this phone and never went without charging it)
  • very cool spinning wheel for directional pad

Cons

• touch screen very sensitive
  • Music too quiet if you take off headphones
  • use the SD card memory or the pictures will slow down the phone

mikebell97
posted on 17 Jul 2009, 15:16 (Posts: 0; Member since: 17 Jul 2009)

Pretty good phone that can stand alot. I drop my phone a ton and it didn't break it 'till like 7 months. The slider is really good. Also i listen to music alot and this phone's music player quality is great. I couldn't think of many flaws with this phone.

Pros

• new wheel
  • good battery life
  • kinda tough
  • good slider
  • great music player
  • touch buttons
  • good colars

Cons

• can't put speaker phone on while in a call
  • won't connect to pc

megansquared
posted on 01 Jul 2009, 10:10

Good at first, not so much as it goes on

Well, the color is one of the best parts of it. The "ice blue" is pretty. The phone itself really doesnt have one big problem, its more of a manufacturing/software problem. It also bounces on cement and does not break, which would kill some phones. The music player wasnt bad, but when you play it out loud it could be louder.
In less than 2 years, my friend and I (same phone) have gone through 10 phones. The charger has gone on both and I had mine replaced because it would start to turn on then turn off. And not turn on. Occasionally, it wont recive text messages or calls.
Dont get it wet, not even a drip. It will breakdown completely. For about 3 hours.
The touchpads not too bad, but after you have the phone for awhile it and the wheel loses its sensitivity.
Overall its not the best, but its not completely terrible (untill it keeps breaking, or you have it for a long time).
Mine broke because verizon gave me a pre-owned one that was already broken and then wouldnt replace it later. Bad customer service on there part.
Camera works good too, if only it had a flash. It comes out grainy sometimes.

Pros

• touchpad
  • color
  • textability

Cons

• software
  • charger
  • you cant add words to the "word dictionary" (no "swears")

Moni
posted on 08 Jun 2009, 19:00

2.7

Grrr.

I hate this phone. The battery dies in like an hour, it freezes when I try to play videos, sometimes the face screen doesn't do anything when I touch it, text messaging is so hard, and once I dropped it and the screen turned black and fuzzy. I hate this phone. I can't wait to get a new one when our contract renews in December. Ughhhh what a waste of money. Oh, and recently within the last few months, the charger is acting retarted. It comes unplugged if it moves while charging. I am so glad they discontinued this phone!

Pros

• Seriously? Idk, the color?

Cons

• Everything. Grrrrr.

posted on 06 Jun 2009, 12:13

This Phone is perfect!!

I've had this phone for almost 2 years and nothing is wrong with it, except it won't record sound in videos when its on vibrate, But thats it. This phone is sturdy to iv'e thrown it at a wall (i was mad) and droped it in a sink full of water and it never broke.

Pros

• Everything except...

Cons

• won't record sound in videos when its on vibrate

danie410
posted on 25 May 2009, 18:53

i loved this phone although i had many problems with it i loved how you side it up i loved the mp3 player that it had and how it would constantly play music instead of stop as soon as you got a text...which can be very annoying...however i went thru 6 of these phones from April to August of 2008 i would have to say that it def was not a sturdy phone

Pros

• the mp3 player camara and sliding feature

Cons

• not sturdy phones

doxcell
posted on 25 May 2009, 17:11

This is a really bad phone, and no one should buy it. I've already had my phone replaced 3 times in under a year for different reasons each time. It's very annoying, and has limited functions.

Pros

• looks cool

Cons

• pretty much everything

posted on 13 May 2009, 14:21

PHONE Sucks

Constant Breaking!
It FREEZES to death!
Limited Texting abilities.
Breaks ALOT.
Decent Picture quality but HORRIBLE video camera!

Pros

• Good Picture Quality

Cons

• E V E R Y T H I N G ELSE!

v
posted on 09 Apr 2009, 10:41

Worst Phone!!!!!! Don't Get!!!!!!

This phone has given me trouble from the start. I had to exchange my original phone 3x to get one that worked properly. But that one still sucked. First, I broke the charger and port, and it would only sometimes charge. When it did, it kept going up and down on the battery bars, and wouldn't give me but 2.5 hours of talk time. I hated it, and will never buy LG again!

Pros

• Nothing about it.

Cons

• Everything about it.

CinemaPaula
posted on 14 Mar 2009, 21:37 (Posts: 0; Member since: 14 Mar 2009)

Makes a great paperweight.

Hate the phone. At first, I primarily used my headset - which made me not notice the touchscreen issues....
Don't get me wrong - it sounds great, rarely drops calls, and is a functional phone, but the touchscreen is HORRID.
When you are talking, its randomly unlocked, and causes you to hit buttons on the touch area like, mute, speaker, contacts, etc. Then, you often forget that CLOSING the phone hangs up on your call - talking on this slider when open is just uncomfortable - its feels like the last thing it was intended for is a phone.
Your face OFTEN touches the touchscreen buttons when on a call. PARTICULARLY when trying to use an automated phone menu - (Press one for...) ARRRGGGHHHHH!
I just upgraded to the new Flip design - the chocolate is NOT a bad phone when used with a headset, and the flip design of the Chocolate 3 is promising, but this slider is just a poor design, poor execution, and poor planning.
I have sworn off all touchscreen devices. This phone can not decide when it wants to lock or unlock, and stay that way.
The only other bad things are some lag, and glitchy buttons - again, ALL touchscreen related seemingly.

Pros

• Music player and external speaker is good.
  • Reception is good for calls.

Cons

• Bad BAD touchscreen.
  • Poor design with inconsistent locking.
  • Uncomfortable to talk on.
  • Laggy when buttons are accidentally pushed by face when talking.

Jamcam321
posted on 08 Mar 2009, 20:59

Afterthought

This phone will also freeze when I try to watch videos on it and I can't do anything with it.  The screen freezes a lot on me.

Jamcam321
posted on 08 Mar 2009, 20:55

I Hate It

So I got this phone back in August of 2007 practically the first day they were out.  Me and my mom both got them, i got the dark blue one and she got the red.  Don't get me wrong i loved this phone up until about three months ago, where i began wanting to throw it at a wall everytime i used it.  When i first got this phone, the batterly life was very impressive lasting an average of a week and a half per charge.  The battery life now is closer to an hour and a half per charge.  I charged this phone literally friday when i got home and by 11 that night the phone was dead.  I don't text, I don't have music on my phone, I don't take pictures with it, I don't take videos with it...  the battery should be lasting much much longer than it does.
Also the phone now decides that it likes to unlock itself whenever it feels like it causing it to do random operations.  I had it in my pocket one day at school, I looked at it to check the time and i was on the mobile web, i have no idea how long the phone had been on it but that costs money and lots of it.  The touch buttons on the face of the phone are disfunctional lately and simply don't work sometimes.  The sliding lock button located on the right side is hit or miss anymore, sometimes i'll slide the button down to lock the phone and it has spaz attacks in my face where the phone will go back and forth saying locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked, usually ending the phone not locking.
The face...

Pros

• Awesome reception, great for hidden texting in school, speakerphone volume is unmatched by any competitor, and the wheel is a very clever (sometimes frustrating) addition. This phone is also great for people that drop their phones a lot because i do and it hasn't broken no matter what it's dropped on.

Cons

• the wheel, battery life, durability, lock button, can't withstand 2 years of use (more wear and tear than expected)

elizabeth
posted on 01 Mar 2009, 18:19

I LOVE IT.

I love the LG chocolate 2. i don't know though. it's prolly one of my favorites. i switched to the lg voyager for the keyboard but i always wanna switch back.

Pros

• Everything.

Cons

• i hit the music button sometimes when i text.

Nov123
posted on 13 Feb 2009, 13:53

Very Good

I actually love this phone, and i have had it for over a year now. Its very dependable, and it works just fine. It has survived many drops. The only reason why I am going to get a new phone soon is because its starting to wear out because I have used it so much.

Pros

Cons

• The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have a full keyboard

ihateverizonperiod
posted on 03 Feb 2009, 16:57

This phone was the worst phone ever

Okay. so my sister and i both recieved these phones in september of 2007.
so its past january 2009 correct.? but heres the thing. they will not allow my sister to do her two year upgrade. because.. THEY PUSHED HERS BACK TO 2010?!?! ISNT THAT 3 YEARS. WHAT ABOUT THE 2 YEAR CONTRACT???!?!?!?!?
and apparently mines in feb of 2009???
well here is our phone history with verizon.
september 2006.
-both got those crappy lg silver tiny flip phones. and had those for a year and then they both broke completely. in 2007 like around september so then we went up to verizon and told them that our phones were damaged by completely their fault. things like the head of the flip phone falling off.. and they said well give us your account info and we can see what we can do
so were sitting there for an hour waiting for a reply. so then they go and tell us that it was comepletely our fault and that we didnt have a warranty WHEN IN THE FIRST PLACE THEY NEVER EVEN ADDRESSED THAT THEY HAD A WARRANTY plus our phones were no longer made so they tried to sell us some stupid phone that looked sucky for freaking 250$ when apparently after a year is up you can recieve a 1 year upgrade for the original not reatail price. so we said we dont wanna do that and we dont want that phone. we want the chocolates for a 1 year upgrade since a year has been up. so then they went into the computer and goes and tells us
"YOUR NOT ELIGIABLE FOR A ONE YEAR UPGRADE!" EVEN THOUGH IT HAS BEEN PAST A YEAR !!!! ...

Pros

Cons

• ITS THE WORST PHONE EVER

posted on 02 Jan 2009, 08:31

This phone is the worst phone I have ever seen Verizon come out with.  I would not recommend any one get this piece of junk. I have had so many problems with this phone.  I would lose calls for no reason (even when i had full bars).  I would also not even get calls and later I would talk to someone and they would tell me they have been calling me all day.  My text messages would not send and I would get a text from someone a couple hours after they have sent it.  I can not wait to get rid of this piece of junk and am happy to hear they discontinued this phone.

Pros

• NOTHING

Cons

• EVERYTHING

posted on 02 Jan 2009, 08:27

I bought the new chocolate when it first came out.  I had so many problems with this phone I can't even count them on all of my fingers.  The screen would freeze, the middle section would not scroll, the middle button would not press, etc.  I have gotten it replaced 1 time and have went into the store numerous times to speak with technical support about my issues.  I have insurance on the phone, and was offered to get a replacement, but I would have to pay $50.  Now although this isnt much, I would NEVER pay that much for another chocolate.  I wouldn't even take a free one.  I would never recommend this phone to anyone and I am glad to hear they discontinued it.  I have a lot of family and friends that have verizon, so it is beneficial to me to have their service, but unfortunately for me, I have picked a crappy phone.  So I am just counting the days until I can smash this phone into little pieces and get a new one.

Pros

• NONE. The only pro about this is that its a verizon phone and I can speak with family and friends with IN calling.

Cons

• EVERYTHING... DO NOT GET THIS PHONE

Buy This Phone