LG VX8300 User Reviews

Camera6.7/10
Internet4.3/10
Call quality9.3/10

Stuticus
posted on 12 Feb 2012, 19:39 (Posts: 26; Member since: 05 Feb 2012)

Great Basic phone

Stuticus has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Had this phone for about two years. dropped it numerous times and it shrugged off any possible damage each time. Builtin MP3 player and no need for headset though the speakers did get scracthy at max volume. great battery life for hte first year though, The battery started going bad on me after about a year and 6 months. that was an issue with the battery though, not the phone.

Build quality 9/10 As close to rugged as you can get w/o the mil spec rating
Internet 3/10 feature phone browser prevents it from recfinv
Camera 3/10 Only 1.3 megapixles
Everyday usage 7/10 Great for calls
Text input 3/10 t9 was always faulty on mine and only 1-9 on the number pad

Pros

• Durable
  • Great for calls if thats all you want to do

Cons

• No apps, since its not a smartphone
  • difficult for texting

Napman1976
posted on 24 Feb 2011, 16:04 (Posts: 0; Member since: 24 Feb 2011)

Best phone I ever had

Napman1976 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This LG was the best phone they ever came out with at the time. Too bad it's discontinued and the newer ones are made of plastic (if still available). I never had a problem with this phone and wish it lasted longer than the two years I had it. Built in MP3 player, able to read texts without flipping out the phone. Great service..I can go on and on..

Build quality 10/10 It was built "Ford Tough"
Reception 8/10 I talked anywhere, anytime without hardly a dropped call
Call quality 9/10 Crystal clear quality
Internet 8/10 It did its job
Multimedia 9/10 So much to do with it
Camera 10/10 So many different options to do with your saved pics and videos.
UI speed 9/10 Very fast
Everyday usage 10/10 Always did the job..I dropped it so many times..no cracks or dings!
Text input 10/10 Fastest send and recieve...no problems EVER!
Display 6/10 Kinda small

Pros

• Free Music ID
  • Built tough
  • Great camera/video
  • Fast texting
  • Built in MP3 player
  • Coverage was uncontested
  • Battery life lasted well over suggested usage
  • Stand alone mode
  • Easy use
  • Durable and reliable

Cons

• small screen

cowsrockalot
posted on 20 Nov 2010, 19:31 (Posts: 34; Member since: 02 Nov 2009)

GREAT PHONE!

cowsrockalot has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This phone as lasted more than 5 years! I gave it to my son and he was so happy with it. It has a great camera, the keyboard was great, and the UI was very responsive. It also has a great media player. The screen isn't the greatest. I love the design except for the little stub of an antenna, it just seemed unnecessary. It's also reasonably thin.

posted on 03 Dec 2009, 14:42

Definitely one of the best phones I've had. I got it basically as soon as it came out in 2006 and hadn't had to replace it till early summer of this year (2009). That may not sound terribly impressive, but considering how many times I'd dropped the thing, it's insane that it lasted that long. And considering how cheap it was, that's quite the accomplishment. I can't really speak to the features of the phone--I like to keep things simple with using my phone only for calls and texting--but it worked quite well for what I used it for. I found texting pretty easy (given the lack of a keyboard) and the interface was nice and simple.However, there had been a few times in which I lost service during a call, but that was rather rare. After a year and a half of owning the phone, it also began to turn off by itself--again, not often, but it was somewhat worrying. I think my only other complaint is loudness; if I was in a crowded area with a lot of background noise, it was impossible to hear my phone going off even if it was on the loudest setting. As for how it died, eventually half of the keyboard began to stop working for a few hours at a time, culminating in an inability to use the 3, 6, and 9 keys. In another circumstance, this would be given a place on the cons list--but given how long the phone lasted and how many times I'd dropped it, it was an inevitable happenstance.Simply put, if you need a cheap, VERY durable phone and don't really care about the lack of a qwerty keyboard or...

Pros

• Easy to carry
  • Long battery life
  • DURABLE
  • Cheap

Cons

• Service sometimes spotty
  • Turns off on its own (rarely, but it still happens)
  • Could be louder (ringtone-wise)

Mark Bampton
posted on 20 Apr 2009, 15:54

This IS the best phone ever!

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {margin-right:0in; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->
I've had the 8300 for three and a half years! I am extremely hard on phones. Before the 8300 I was averaging about 2 a year with my camping/hiking/partying lifestyle.
This phone has been left out overnight while camping several times (killed my previous phone).
It has been dropped over ten times (Killed the phone before that).
Only God knows what my inebriated self has done to it that has killed at least 2 of my other previous phones.
My buddy is a regional manager for VZW and recommended this phone for me in early 2006.
If you want simple effective durability, with an internet connection as fast as any rev. 0 phone vzw has buy one of these on ebay or something. My parents and brother have upgraded to its successor and its nowhere near as solid as the classic 8300.

Pros

• The review says it all. If my next phone lasts half as long I will be satisfied.

Cons

• Old now, but still better than all new basic phones.

TJ
posted on 21 Feb 2009, 17:51

This phone is amazing! It's cheap, durable, and still really cool. I had this phone for 2 years and had 0 problems with it. This phone survived getting submerged twice and it even survived the washing machine. Every time i let it dry for about 2 days and it was good as new. The best part is that when i got it new from the store, it only cost me 10bux as a 2year upgrade. I would strongly reccomend this phone to anyone. I recently upgraded to the samsung glyde and i am seriously considering switching back to this because of all the bugs i put up with on my new phone.

Pros

• Durable!!
  • Worth every cent

Gilbert
posted on 14 Dec 2008, 16:18

its good

I am a teenager an this was my second phone about a year ago it was preety good because i had this phone for about a year and a half the music was the good the recption and pics. But  then the the phone battery went all messed up and it wouldnt charge so i just ened up getting a new one because it would shutt of after it charged and it would let me call and so it just broke

Pros

• good look good with music pic and video

Cons

• the battery is not that good after a year

edward budilovsky
posted on 03 Dec 2008, 22:05

Thank you for the excelent product.

LG VX 8300 is the Only best phone I 've had for the past 10 years using wireless comunication. I had this phone sence October 2006 till now it still works excelent. Thank you.

Joe Soons
posted on 14 Jun 2008, 21:34

I have had this phone for 11 months and am pretty happy with it. I ended up getting this phone online from Verizon and payed $35 total with shipping. It was well worth the money. The camera is very good for it's use on the phone, the speakers are loud, it's very durable, the outside screen is large and nice, and the customizable menu is good too. I also like the ability to record sounds and send them to yourself (you can save it as a ringtone). My only two complaints are the clarity of voices/reception and size of the phone. The phone seems to have service all the time but people on the other end of the call complain about clarity even when I hear them perfectly. It's frustrating to repeat myself over and over. The phone is pretty light, but it is somewhat bulky. It feels just okay in your hand. I upgraded from the Samsung SCH 630 (look it up, its no wonder I am happy with the 8300).... Overall good phone, I'd recommend it to anyone

Justin
posted on 12 Jun 2008, 17:06

My first phone

This was my first cell-phone I ever got. When I first picked it up and turned it on, I was amazed at the many cool features like Mobile IM, V-Cast Music, V-Cast Video, Get It Now ringtones, 1.3 mps, and hundreds of games. First of all, I'd like to say that it's incredibly durable. I've dropped it like ten million times. My friends have even dropped it intentionally on the ground, and it still works! It has great video and picture capability. The V-Cast Access is great for music on the go. Bad part about the music player is on the outside where the player is, you always have to press and hold for like 30 seconds which cuts time on listening to music. But overall I give it a 9.3.

Rob K
posted on 04 Jan 2008, 01:18

Ringtones

I figure if you want something to make ringtones for this phone you'll have to use a particular program there's something that's free just talk to me LogicROb@gmail.com\. I like this phone overall, I mean it has great picture quality, great sound, great video quality, it supports my bluetooth that I use. I mean the bad thing is sometimes it shuts off but I'm finding out that it does that with any verizon phone. So yeah. The program that I'm using you would need to have unlimited text, picture, video and IM for anyone on the verizon network so yeah.. I have a microSD card I use it for music because it would save money than buying an IPOD because yeah.

David the Gom
posted on 17 Oct 2007, 23:48

For those who wanted to use their mp3s for their ringtone... part 3

continued from last one...
4. change the file extention into ".qcp" i don't know what extention it is, but that was the file extention when i pulled the recorded sound from my phone to my microSD card to my pc...
5. insert your card in to the phone.
6. go to get in now menu, press 1, press 5, it should go to the my sound menu
// note: tho you can see the music in my sound menu,
you're not gonna able to play it for now...
*here's the costy step if you don't have txt/pix msg bundle...*
7. you need to send each music file, if you have more than 1, to yourself via pix msg... you can simply send it iin my sound folder in your phone... n when i tested, any file bigger than 300kb didn't get sent, but the one i'm using as my ringtone is about 150kb... and it worked....
8. when you receive the msg u just sent to yourself, press option, then click on save as ringtone (press 5 if u want to...)
9. when prompted to enter file name, you can change it or u can just use it as is
10. when you go to my ringtone folder, you'll see the new ringtone u just saved, then you're good to go now...

by the way, i don't know if it works in the phone that was disabled mp3 option... if you didn't enabled mp3, do it... some other person posted it before, so it shouldn't be hard to find it...

and after you enable the mp3 option, be careful if you need to format the card... i used lexar's microSD 2gb, but after i format the card, somehow, it can store only 1gig... damnit... anyways,...

David the Gom
posted on 17 Oct 2007, 23:46

For those who wanted to use their mp3s for their ringtone...

Finally!!! OMG!!! i found out how to use my mp3 thing as my ringtone...
1. u need to get a microSD card... if u got one good...
2. convert the music u want to use as your ringtone into mp3 format... make sure you change the quality of your mp3 so that your music file size doesn't exceed about 200kb... i lowered them so i get less than 150kb.... i'll explain why later...
3. copy your music on #2 into my_sound folder in your microSD card
// if you don't see my_sound folder in your microSD card,
then insert your card to your phone, go to menu, go to
settings&tools, press 8 for the memory menu, press 3
for card memory, click(?) on my pix, my flix, my music,
my sounds, and my mp3s (if you enabled mp3 mode in
secret menu) menu.
4. change the file extention into ".qcp"

Nina Girmscheid
posted on 21 Jul 2007, 02:44

Good phone...

I love my phone, have had it for about a year. But... i need more options! I'll find my perfect match soon. Help me make a great decision. I love the features i already have, but i need a better or easier calender. I might just need to break down and get a smart phone. oh well, great phone if you are considering it.

J.
posted on 21 Apr 2007, 10:14

Killer tight.

I just got this phone about 2 weeks ago and it is a pretty killer phone. it looks professional, feels professional, and sounds professional. I love the customization. I need the front screen for the time and i'm happy when i look at the time, i get to see pam anderson. ;-)

Keith
posted on 19 Feb 2007, 22:27

Like the RAZR only better. Much better.

There is a reason why this is Verizon's most popular phone. It's amazing.
Everybody has one! I've had more opportunities to use these phone than I have my own new phone! haha. The camera works pretty well, and the speakers... oh my god... are amazing. The screen can be a little grainy at times, but this is because it has a lower resolution than, asy, tha LG8500. But overall, this is a great phone.

FACE
posted on 16 Feb 2007, 03:33

Agree with the General

Yup...crappy speakerphone; I was spoiled by a phenonmenal Kyocera carkit speaker phone, so I'm biased.

Nonetheless, the 8300's speakerphone is thin sounding, and it buzzes at almost any volume; it's predecessor (the 8100?) actually had better sounding speakers...another step backward for LG.

Most of the phone's other features are pretty hip...so, I give it an overall...7 (no matter what the averaged result says...)

;>)

wassup
posted on 06 Feb 2007, 23:14

General Klang

General Klang needs a hobby. I bought four of these phones for my family and they all work perfectly. I know what the General is saying about the speaker phone but its not nearly as pronounced as he makes it out to be. Just turning down the volume solves the minor problem. The MP3 (WMA) playback through the speakes far exceeded my expecations for a cell phone !!! These are the best phones my family has ever had and we love them.

GENERAL KLANG
posted on 30 Jan 2007, 18:15

Crappy Speakerphone

The VX8300 is one of those phone models that everyone loves to praise because everyone else is praising it.

Let me be the first to put out some critical comments about this phone.

As a product that Verizon is touting as a music playing cell phone, you would think a little more quality would have been put into the design and function of the speakers, right?

Unfortunately not!

I have gone through no less than FOUR of these phones trying to find one that didn't have a problem with the speakerphone causing the entire case of the phone to buzz and rattle. Even with the volume set below a useable level, the thing still manages to emit a high pitched plastic-like buzz from the speaker vibration.

This buzz is often louder than the actual sound from the speakers, so it tends to distort the voice of the person you are talking to. After awhile, you get sick of asking the other party to repeat themselves and reluctantly switch to the standard handset method of talking.

So much for one of the main reasons I upgraded from my VX6000!

According to Verizon and LG, I am the first person on the planet who has had any problem with the quality of this phone's speaker system for speakerphone use!

The features of the phone are nice, and the design is your typical LG clamshell look, but all of that is wasted on the cheap PLASTIC case the phone is encased in.

I am convinced that if the case were made out of metal, the buzzing problem would not be there.

I returned my VX8300 and went back to...

April - "Verizon Sales Rep"
posted on 16 Jan 2007, 19:17

I think this phone is a very good phone. We sell alot of them because they are v-cast capable and are not that expensive. I think they are a good phone for people who tend to be rougher on their phones yet still want to be able to all the cool things (such as vcast, music videos, mp3's and so on) because it is inexpensive and still has a nice look. Great for teenagers!! I would recomend it to almost anyone looking for a good deal!

Nards
posted on 03 Jan 2007, 14:23

VX 8300 MP3's

This will enable MP3's on ur phone for some reason it is not enabled already
Press OK to open the main menu. Press 0 to open the service menu. Enter the service code, which should be 000000.
Select (11)Music Setting. Choose MP3 Enable and press OK. Press END to close the service menu.

MstrMstr
posted on 20 Oct 2006, 21:50

Shorter than stated battery life

The Lg VX8300 is a very nice and full featured phone. Nicer than average sound quality. Great sound with headset or earphones with mp3 playing or V-Cast features with EV-DO.. However, it must be transmitting all the time.. a very short battery life.. 3 to 4 days while on...6 days with the 1700maH extended battery. It does automatically seek and lock onto the strongest surrounding signal(a REAL NICE FEATURE) you can autoprogram it to do the same with only a 4 number entry.. real sweet.
I've talked only 15 minutes in a week so it's not a heavy drain. The phone flip closeure can and does open itself at times with movement( needs a bit more overcenter pressure to remain closed when not using.
It is foreward and backward compatible with features which is great for us 2 year contractees.. we can expect some firmwareand sotfware updates in the future.
Its a bit finicky to find a place to hold it since it has buttons everywhere.. front, right and left sides as well as the keypad.. technology- gota love it.
The voice comand makes you sound stupid by asking you if you just said what you DID say.. repeating yourself does get aggravating. All in all as a free phone with contract its the best featured and easiest to handle when compared to most others..there are nicer, but not nicer AND cheaper.My suggestion is visit a phone store and see if the phone fits YOUR needs as well as it has mine. Hearing and holding is a big sellpoint

A-top
posted on 26 Sep 2006, 16:38

Terrific Phone

I've had this phone for several months now, and I still love it. It takes really great quality pictures compared to some other phones. Here's a useful site with tips for this phone: http://vx8300.blogspot.com.

TvEngErnest
posted on 09 Sep 2006, 21:06

Great sounding phone.

I purchased the LG-8500 Chocolate and had it for 20 days before replacing it with the LG-8300. What a surprise! This phone does not have to be charged daily. And is solidly made, instead of fragile 8500 plastic. I can put my grungy large fingers and get around much easier. Only good thing about 8500 that it really has a fantastic sound however, it is not for a serious phone user. I like my 8300!

Jenn74
posted on 17 Aug 2006, 19:38

Thanks ROB!!!

Thanks so much ROB for telling me how to unlock the mp3 player! The music feature is really nice. I live in KY so i am interested in how the reception will be in the next 2 years being digital only. The ringtones are a stupid, but an excellent phone overall. I bought this phone mostly for the 1hr of video capability. I could not have asked for a better phone for free with my new every 2...except for an update on my old Audiovox 9900. That phone is amazing (and indestructible)!!! We will see if this phone lives up to the Audiovox's performance.