LG VX8100 User Reviews

Zach
posted on 09 May 2008, 21:03

6.4

Lg Vx8100

well i have this phone for a very long time.
at first i thought it was awesome but my
opion has changed. after about a year
you get very bored of this phone. its camera
is good but the camcorder only does 15 seconds.
that annoys me. another thing that annoys me is
the flashing colorful lights. can you cut them off?
and the vibrate is so loud. i have to keep my phone
on silent in class. after about a year and a half of having
this phone i should be a expert with it but i still have never
found out how to use the mp3. it was a good phone back in
2005 but now it is annoying and over used.

Zach Helms
posted on 19 Feb 2008, 20:17

Not Bad.

This is a pretty good phone. I have had it for a couple of years now and getting read to get a new one. If i were to were to pick between this and another phone, i would pick another phone. You get very tired of this phone. It is a ok phone nothing special about it.

bri
posted on 25 Jan 2008, 21:24

the one that keeps going cont...

stupid keyboard shortcuts...anyway...
Pros:
You can view a text message without opening the phone. I find this really useful when I'm in a hurry at work or running somewhere.

The resolution on the screen on the outside is amazing and plays gif graphics! I can set videos as wallpapers or caller id's for both screens! I love that!

The side speakers are loud and great for music even when the phone is closed.

Camera quality is really good for a phone and have found it extremly useful from time to time. (car accident damage and funny videos of friends being silly. :)

This phone does play mp3's,you just have to turn on the feature.

The internet isn't the fastest avaliable, but hey, this is NOT designed to be a PDA phone after all.

Signal strength is really good and even gets reception in places my samsung u740 wouldn't.

This phone relly is a tank, I have dropped it SO many times and it barley has a scratch!

I love the color, it's not the standard boring black or grey so common in todays phones.

Cons:

Speaker phone doesn't work while the phone is closed.

Sounds cannot be set as ringtones.

2GB card limit and it is a mini SD not micro.

Conclusion:

I have tried many times to replace this phone. I bought the U740 outright when it first came out($349.99!) Tried the new chocolate, a LG 8300 (the upgraded version of this phone now disscontinued) and even a blackberry, and I still keep coming back to this phone. I have bought 4 on eBay now and...

bri
posted on 25 Jan 2008, 21:10

The one that keeps going...

I absolutley love this phone! I have had it for close to three years now and still wouldn't trade it for anything currently out there.

Pros:
I love the flashing lights that alert me to when calls, text or when I have a voice mail, and they are all diffrent patterns! (you can turn this off if you don't like it)

Dave
posted on 17 Oct 2007, 04:02

A crippled tank?

I agree on the 'tankness' of this phone... it's taken a nice beating over the years. Bitpim for making your own ringtones and wallpaper. ImToo for putting movies on the phone. Tunebite for DRM free music. Cheap accessories on eBay. I liked being able to hook it up to the car stereo and jam out to my mp3s. Mobile Web 2.0 for $5/mo rules! So worth it being able to check email in ten seconds and browse the web. The camera flash was great as a flashlight.

I hated the 15sec video limitation. 15sec vid =177KB which is a drop in the bucket for the 1GB storage card. I didn't like the text messaging Inbox limited to 50, voice dialing sucked. Games were expensive.

Overall a great phone. I've had it for 2+ years and will probably get the Samsung 3mp phone when it comes out (hopefully soon, lol). Verizon has been excellent, especially in the customer service area.

Mary beth
posted on 04 Oct 2007, 04:02

It's a Tank!!

I don't know about anyone else but my phone's like 2 years old and it's still amazing! It's a freaking tank man! I've dropped it from my old second story balcony, I've dropped it in a toilet at least 3 times, dropped it on countless occasions... Accidentally threw it against a wall! And the thing keeps on ticking! Not so much as a glitch! I love it!! A few scratches yes... But the phone still operates at peek performance! Hooray Tank Phone!!

Tabitha
posted on 20 Sep 2007, 11:02

AWESOME

Great phone except,you can't make recordings your ringtones. Great call quality and sound,excellent picture taking and music can be played on your phone that is great. Overall this isan excellent phone!!!

Bannanie
posted on 27 Jul 2006, 20:50

The perfect phone for me!!

I love this phone! It is extremely user friendly, like most LG's. It has everything you could ask for in a phone! Great picture quality and sound! Vcast is awesome; being able to listen to my music on my phone is the best! I think that this is the best phone!

Stephen
posted on 26 Jun 2006, 16:13

Great except one

The phone is great except on one account. I cannot record sounds and make them my ring tones. Other than that the phone is great the camera pixels are great and so on.

Good phone to buy u get ur moneys worth

Analiese
posted on 02 May 2006, 19:04

LG8100 and text messaging

I love almost everything about the LG8100, but the one feature I've found fault with sours my overall opinion of the phone: The text messaging service with the LG8100 is positively awful! Prior to purchasing the LG8100, I had a five- year-old Motorola phone. It didn't have all the bells and whistles of the 8100, but it was amazing as far as texting was concerned, even in low signal strength areas. I have tested the LG8100's texting capability through hundreds upon hundreds of messages, some sent from inside Verizon stores even, and I'd estimate that an average of 1 in 9 to 12 messages reaches its recipient. Furthermore, if texts are being sent to phones on wireless services other than Verizon, there is no way of knowing whether or not the message was deivered. For every single text sent to phones on other carriers, there is a "delivery incomplete" message -- not pending, not trying to send - nothing. With other Verizon customers, the message typically sends, but not in complete form; it just drops off somewhere mid-message. Verizon service representatives act as though no one has ever experienced this difficulty, and when they send test messages to an LG8100, they typically do go through for the simple reason that their phones are also on Verizon's network and the test messages are usually not more than a word or two in length. It is an extremely frustrating drawback to an otherwise great phone. If you rely on texting for a considerable portion of your wireless communication,...

ADSisson
posted on 11 Dec 2005, 10:39

Better than Moto.

As a long time Moto user< I have been converted to LG with this phone. I started looking at new Cells in November and this was VERY close to the top. In the top 3 phone I was looking at. Glad that it went from #3 to #1 in 30 days. Other chices were the Moto E815 and the Sammy a950.

Haave had this phone for only 4 days and have enjoyed EVERY moment of it.

Yeah, I'd like VZW to enable ALL of the functions, but my ratings remain as they are for this phone.

Moto., it was good doing business with you.
"So long and thatns for the fish." to quote Douglass Adams

Zach
posted on 15 Nov 2005, 14:39

MP3 does work!!

The LG 8100 is a great phone, but Verizon only tells there employees what they need to know. If you take the phone to the direct dealer, they can reprogram the phone so it does play MP3's. They put the phone on the market before the MP3 program was created. This is an amazing phone. It has great picture and video quality and it has a mini SD slot which is very useful if you take it to the direct dealer and have them reprogram the phone.
The only problem I've had with Verizon is I'm from Montana and moved to Oklahoma City to go to college. Well they say that their service is everywhere in the US even some parts of Alaska. Well when I arrived in Oklahoma City the phone didn't work. I talked for the advanced customer care employees and they couldn't help me. I ended up fixing my phone by myself by switching a feature deep inside the programming. The amazing thing is their customer care employees have to take courses to do their job and I fixed it without their help! They say that they will get back to you if they didn't fix your problem within a week, well after "I" fixed the problem the contacted me over a month later. And this wasn't just one advanced customer support agent it was all of them that i talked to.
They say that they have service in every state but truthfully they have service in every state accept for Oklahoma, Arkansas, and one more in that area. The phone is supposed to work, but if it doesn't in those areas its nearly impossible to...

Duke
posted on 22 Sep 2005, 11:53

This phone is so close to being perfect

I get a new cell phone about every 3-6 months, and this cell phone is amazing. The sounds quiality is awsome and its size is great and the vibrate is very good. I have one problem. As far as i know you cannot take the mp3's from the card and make them your ringtone. i'm sure someone will figure it out soon but besides that this pone is awsome and the file using as taking pictures form the card on the phone is easy and so is playing mp3's. great phone my favorate so far.

Hans
posted on 17 Sep 2005, 19:16

Need to know how to encode.

Well, I sure do like the phone. I got it on a 2 year, and it was 99 bucks. It has lots of bells and whistles, and it appears to be doing quite a nice job for me.
The only real problem I have is converting files in order to make them work on the phone. It is turning out to be a bit of a pain, and it's really not all that smooth a transition. The main memory remains separate from the memory card, thus making it impossible to use the large storage card space where I would like to (ring tones, wallpapers, etc are forced to the 27 mb onboard memory).

RacerX
posted on 09 Aug 2005, 09:49

Defending the 8100, service & BT limitations

Being in the cell field, the 8100 by LG is still a very good phone as I await mine in the mail. Yes, you can't do dial-up Broadband like most other phones by simply using a mobile office kit, but for good reason. It's a back door to undercut the PDA phones 44.99 data unlimited plans, and 79.99 unlimited with the aircard service. All for 15.00/ using the VCAST service; it makes sense to limit it's ability to be used as a modem. It sucks, but put yourself in a theoretical CEO position; You have an incredible service to offer, but is expensive to operate, wouldn't you close off any loop holes as well, for the sake of profit? I think most would agree. You don't want to lose money on an investment, even if it happens to ruffle the feathers of a few. Sorry. And the OBEX profiles is another backdoor that could open up issues of security. While I know a vast majority would use file exchange for personal use only, it's the risk of a few that would be using it for more devious reasons. However, I am more willing to flow with that argument of allowing OBEX than the DUN. If you want wireless broadband, pony-up like everyone else. The E815 is also a good phone, though still crippled by a finicky charging port. Overall, a good alternative and MUCH improved over the V710 in terms of software execution...

Sumner
posted on 04 Aug 2005, 13:40

4.4

not worth it

the cost for the phone is ridiculous. it doesn't have a real MP3 player. the reception is so so and bluetooth file transfers are disabled and can't be hacked unlike other phones (cough E815). not worth it.

Spencer
posted on 31 Jul 2005, 15:30

Technically it plays mp3s

Verizon has disabled the phones ability to recognize songs ending in .mp3. But if you rename an mp3 file to .mid, it can play them just fine. You'll need the cable and some third party software of course...

THE REAL Mr. Pokie
posted on 30 Jul 2005, 12:21

The Last "Mr. Pokie" Opinion was a friend of mine.

The Last "Mr. Pokie" Opinion was a friend of mine. He hates the phone, but he does not know what he is talking about. This is BY FAR THE BEST PHONE that I have ever owned. He has the Motorola E815, which is a good phone, but doesn't hold a candle to the LG VX8100. Looks like LG is working overtime to make a better phone than the VX6000. My opinion is they just might have finally done it. Lightweight phone with great sound quality and features and a 500 character phone bookas I said in my REAL opinion.

Roidmonkie
posted on 21 Jul 2005, 02:03

5.8

Huge Upset!!

I purchase the VX 8100 on the release date(7-15-05), and was utterly discusted. The first dissapointment, is that the phone does NOT play MP3s, even though the Verizon sales represenative swore it did. Second, I was told that you could record your own messages and use those as a ringtone. Another lie! This phone is excessively restricted, and forces you to purchase ringtones from Verizon's Get It Now piece of crap service (where a single ringtone may cost upmost of $4). BT is useless, with the exception of a wireless headset. The VX 8100 only has 32MB of memory, NOT 512MB as other customers described. Once purchased, you will only receive the phone and a home charger, NO belt clip or other accessoried (Must be purchased separately(another way for Verizon to stick it to you!!)) The buttons on the outer "clamshell" are useless, except for viewing a missed call. I WILL definitely be returning this phone before the 15 day return date, and possibly check out the motorola E815. Despite the abundant negatives, the VX 8100 does take decent photos, and video clips.

Guaracha
posted on 19 Jul 2005, 01:01

Bought it Yesterday - I'm not convinced

Beautiful phone with nice features on paper, however Verizon has limited this phone's Bluetooth capabilities perhaps to force you to buy their ringtones, etc. I tried bluetooth - both my computer and the phone paired and could see each other, but that was it. The bluetooth connection will not do DUN (dial up modem), OBEX, or sync with your computer. I have not been able to sync any data or transfer mp3s or ringtones. I guess one needs to buy a data cable or use the MiniSD card to do that, or worse buy verizon's tones - all would involve spending extra $$. As a result, this phone is very likely going back to the VZ store before the trial period is over. I do like the feel of the phone, the nice screens, speakerphone, vcast/evdo, but that alone does not justiy the price.

MrPokie
posted on 16 Jul 2005, 21:11

4.8

Changed my mind

I just got this phone and I HATED it!!!!! Traded it in for the Motorola E815 which is the BEST PHONE that I've ever owned. STAY AWAY from this phone!!!!!!!!

mike
posted on 15 Jul 2005, 07:12

What does verizon disable

Looking to get the phone, but really want this for the MP3 player feature, Does anyone know if verizon disabled the feature, or will you be about to use the great features that LG have provided???

PlayboyPenguin
posted on 13 Jul 2005, 03:16

LG has won me over...

Well, I must say I have been won over by this phone. I have never been a fan of LG in the past but this phone is a new beast. The phone has a great look, a great feel, and great features. No more is the LG the bulky, boxy, flimsy feeling, cracker jacks box phone I used to consider it. I bought the Motorola e815 just yesterday but upon seeing this phone I had to switch. The e815 did have some advantages such as a more versatile speakerphone, better looking menus and a bigger screen but not enough advantages to make it a better choice. That is saying a lot since I am a moto lover...well the older ones anyway...not the flimsy tinker toys they have been putting out lately. I pretty much worshipped my Moto V300.

PROS:

Build - The VX8100 has a very sturdy feel. Rugged but smooth hinge. The body and flip meld together much better than past LG phones which seemed like two pancakes to me. Side controls are very high quality. Although sturdy it is smaller than the e815 so fits in pocket better.

Appearance - The blue hi-gloss face is very attractive. The curves are very pleasing. The hard molded antenna is more attractive than rubber ones. The front screen is probably the best I have ever seen on a phone (very crisp and clear). The two side mounted speakers give it a very cutting edge look. The front controls for view text and picture messages while the phone is closed add a higher end look.

Features - 1.3 megapixel camera (fair quality but good for a phone) is a nice feature....

kal
posted on 03 Jul 2005, 17:28

wow

wow this phone looks awesome i just got the vx 7000 and i dont like it the vx 6000 is so much better than most phones and im going back to 6000 and ill wait for the 8100 alright KOREA for the great design and techs

Dave
posted on 14 Jun 2005, 15:16

Wow! What a great phone to get then the VX-8000

LG is starting to make better phones to get. I was just researching about this before i got the VX-8000 and saw that a newer and better one is comin out soon. I was going to upgrade my LG VX-6000 but saw that i should wait for this one. My opinion is to wait for this phone because many are going to go crazy to get it.