LG Optimus S User Reviews

UI speed7.3/10
Camera6.5/10
Multimedia7.5/10

fasteddy95
posted on 16 Jul 2013, 00:21 (Posts: 0; Member since: 16 Jul 2013)

Makes a decent paperweight

fasteddy95 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I've now put up with this phone for almost 2 years, and it's been a living hell the entire time. The only nice thing I can say about this phone is that it's effectively prevented me from destroying it. When I realized it was a piece of junk, I tried destroying it and getting Sprint to refund, but it appears that nothing short of a bursting shell will break it. The battery life is slim to none, and the battery often overheats and dies while plugged in. I'll randomly stop getting texts and calls all afternoon, and Sprint is definitely not the problem (all my family's phones still work). The typing program is horrific, lagging and not completing words and autocorrecting to random strings of letters frequently.

Build quality 10/10 Indestructable. Unfortunately.
Reception 7/10 Overall decent reception, even if the browser application doesn't run anyways.
Call quality 4/10 Scratchy, deep voices, dropped calls, static, what else must I say?
Internet 2/10 Internet rarely functions properly. Again, this is probably mostly that the phone can't run fast enough to allow the Broser application to run.
Multimedia 1/10 Pandora never works. The phone doesn't have enough internal storage to hold music. YouTube doesn't play without buffering six times as long as the video should play. Definitely not a media-based phone.
Camera 6/10 I actually can't complain about the camera. Would have been nice if it had exceeded expectations, but it's pretty standard.
UI speed 2/10 Definitely the slowest phone I have ever worked with. It's usually impossible to type due to Swype constantly freezing. The startup program frequently freezes. Gaming is an absolute no-go. I'm lucky if I can run both Messages and Facebook's Messenger at the same time.
Everyday usage 4/10 I can occasionally google things, though it takes a few minutes and the conversation has usually moved on by the time I get results. It holds out on my texts frequently and makes me miss out on plans. Music never happens, video hardly happens in the phone's dream, texting is a pain and usually ends with me screaming at the phone and slapping it around (which doesn't hurt the phone because of the unfortunately fantastic construction). Overall, this phone is far more a burden than an efficient too
Text input 1/10 Swype is a great idea. The Swype input system works fantastic. I've used friends' Evos and Notes, and Swype is a fantastic idea. If only my phone was fast enough to trace an entire word and efficiently guess it properly. I usually wind up typing out individual letters anyways, and there's no autocorrect then.
Display 3/10 Display is mediocre. Dead pixels start showing up after about Month Four. The screen is made out of this cheap plastic that scratches if you set it face-down on a table. The display frequently freezes (along with the rest of the phone), and is hardly bright enough to be able to see in any kind of daylight.
Battery 1/10 The battery life is fantastic and fits your everyday needs perfectly (if you only use your phone four hours of the day, are used to it overheating in your pocket, can deal with the phone losing charge despite being plugged in, and don't plan on using your phone for anything but answering the occasional five-minute call. Oh, did I mention that the battery takes six hours to charge completely and then only lasts four?

Pros

• Indestructable

Cons

• Indestructable. You can't kill it.

EpicCalzone
posted on 18 Dec 2012, 21:44 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)

My Optimus V

EpicCalzone has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This phone isn't luxury, it isn't grace. It's like your grandfather's old pickup truck, not the prettiest thing in the world, but it gets the job done. It makes me sad that they trashed this design for something like the Note. EWGOD. It feels like if I drop that thing, it'll shatter. The Optimus is well built and durable. Waterproof it and sell it as a rugged phone. :Db

Build quality 10/10 This phone is the Nokia of smartphones. I have dropped mine countless times, and I have one scratch on it. Wonderful.
Reception 3/10 ohgodwhy. You get what you pay for.
Call quality 7/10 The calling is actually surprisingly well.
Internet 6/10 Meh.
Multimedia 9/10 Plays music like a charm.
Camera 6/10 It's decent.
UI speed 5/10 The reason I put a 5 is because... it's variable. At times, it'll be smooth, then it'll get stuck. And stay there.
Everyday usage 10/10 Durability and reliability.
Text input 7/10 The keyboard will lag sometimes.
Display 7/10 Decent.
Battery 1/10 y u no let me giv zero. Might last 4 hours.

Pros

• Durability
  • Reliability

Cons

• Slow UI at times
  • Horrible service with Virgin Mobile

omega47
posted on 30 Nov 2012, 14:11 (Posts: 2; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)

This little engine that could, did and did it very well

omega47 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Today October 4 marks one year that I had this phone, the optimus v for virgin mobile, and so far I'm very impressed with it. Now.....lets get this straight. I see the other guys ratings and what lack of bells and whistles the phone had, but lets face it, you don't buy a honda and expect it to have rolls royce luxury, or eat at a cheap Chinese food restaurant and expect a five star dinning experience. I knew this phone had a weak processor, no flash for the mediocre camera, a small bulky build and slow 3G internet, but I lived with it liked it (if you wanted a Lamborghini, but got yourself a buick and complain about its performance, you should have brought the Lamborghini in the first place) Nonetheless ive had only a few gripes, the phone would freeze if it had too many apps running forcing me to remove the battery and turn it back on, but this is far less a problem now, it has no file manager or an equilizer for the music player, limited internal memory due to useless bloatware that I never use, no flash player, the 3G signal from time to time seems to have a mind of its own and pages don't load at all, the phones native google browser is very slow to load and the touchscreen when using it is unresponsive at times though it works on third party browers like opera......and only opera. I suppose I could complain about virgin mobile's customer service, but it is irrelevant since most people forget that this is a PHONE review and not the service.
this phone has done everything I...

Build quality 9/10 pretty good for a low end phone
Reception 9/10 i get a good reception almost everywhere even if there's very little signal, people can hear me fine and vice versa
Internet 8/10 its a little slow but hey, 10 or 30 seconds may be too long a time for most of us unless you had a really good wi fi spot
Multimedia 7/10 I practically live on YouTube. the music player needs an equilizer
Camera 3/10 I was able to take some decent pics at the auto show but it could stand to gain an extra 6 or 8 megapixels, the video camcorder is surprisingly good oddly when compared with the camera
UI speed 8/10 for 600 MHz it has pretty decent speed
Everyday usage 9/10 it can hang with the best of them, but I haven't used the navigation or gps as much as any
Text input 9/10 I works very well for those who have small fingers or anyone with large hands and great accuracy, but from time to time the keyboard freezes for a short time or has a hard time keeping up. it corrects all spelling mistakes and capitalize most words but not all the time
Display 7/10 the pixel density is low but its not so bad that you can't see anything
Battery 4/10 in just half a day under heavy use the battery is in the red. and the battery IS ALMOST AS BIG AS THE PHONE ITSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros

• pretty good performance for the price, build quality, easy to use, 600 mhz processor is surprisingly fast thanks to froyo, it's a formidable beast if you have a very strong wifi signal

Cons

• weak camera, no flash player, limited music player, low battery life, slow 3G speeds, no wifi hotspot, virgin mobile's live radio has very little to offer and doesn't work half the time.

BiafraRepublic
posted on 06 Mar 2012, 05:34 (Posts: 1; Member since: 31 Jan 2011)

Good entry level phone, stupid carrier.

BiafraRepublic has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Despite all the issues, all would be forgiven if they would invest in their network (specifically it's data capabilities and its lack of 4G) instead of trying to lose money purposely by creating fake celebrities (-6 points from an original average of 7).

Build quality 7/10 Build feels a bit on the cheap side (-2), screen prone to scratches (-1)
Reception 10/10 I will say this for Virgin Mobile and Sprint, their cell reception is excellent.
Call quality 10/10 Again, Reception and call quality is excellent as Virgin uses the Sprint network.
Internet 8/10 Virgin Mobile's EVDO Rev.A is sluggish, getting ~500kbps (-2)
Multimedia 6/10 No Stagefright (-2), Occasional skips in video (-2)
Camera 5/10 Middling quality at 3.2MP (-2), No flash (-3)
UI speed 4/10 Still using 2.2 Froyo (-3), sluggish 600MHz MSM7227 CPU (-2), GPU not that goot (-1)
Everyday usage 6/10 A growing quantity of apps are incompatible due to the ARM11-based CPU (-2), also the basic Android UI is screwy a lot of the time (-4), but the phone is easily rootable and custom roms are available at many a port (+2)
Text input 7/10 Android Keyboard by default (-1) Swype recognition leaves something to be desired (-1) No QWERTY keyboard (-1)
Display 7/10 Basic 320x240 display (-2), easily scratchable screen (-1)
Battery 2/10 Battery life abysmal, lasting 6-10 hours (-4), phone prone to overheating, shrinking battery life further (-4)

jennicampis
posted on 08 Jan 2012, 09:25 (Posts: 0; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)

Slow for being a 3G.

jennicampis has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I have to constantly take my battery out and reset this phone. It started about 3 or 4 months after I bought it. I just never had the money to replace the phone so I deal with the problem for now. It's annoying when trying to use the browser or games that have to go on the 3g network because it constantly freezes. I have the case for my phone because I always drop it, I must say it does take a good beating. It fell on the touchscreen one time and only got a little ding on it and it stayed that way instead of getting worse. The speaker phone is nice and the sound will go up high enough to hear without problem. It's very hard to get a signal but that is Virgin Mobile's network not the phone. The camera is a dissappointment. There is no flash and when you want to take a picture when it is darker then the photo comes out blurry. Looking for my next phone now, I would say that this phone is sufficient for short term use.

Build quality 10/10 I drop my phone constantly and if it gets scratched or dings they don't become worse.
Reception 10/10 This phone receives the best reception from virgin mobile out of the rest that I have had from them.
Call quality 10/10 I love the speakerphone, this phone is the first that I have ever turned the volume down, I can actually hear the person I am talking to!
Internet 2/10 Extremely slow, continuosly reboots itself. It takes forever if you press the back button by accident.
Multimedia 3/10 I don't think the speakers are loud enough if you want to listen to music or watch a movie etc. The phone is too slow to watch a movie unless you have the patience to watch a 1.5 hour movie in about 3 hours.
Camera 1/10 The worst part of this phone
UI speed 1/10 Extremely slow! I have used others 3G smartphones and they make me jealous that theirs are faster! Virgin Mobiles network is to blame. However, when you have no choice and need a prepaid it does the job.
Everyday usage 7/10 It is sufficient for sending text messages, picture messages, I love the alarm clock.
Text input 7/10 I love the quick text it makes it a little quicker to send a text if you are in a hurry.
Display 7/10 The display is amazing! The display for camera hurts its rating for this spot.
Battery 4/10 You cannot be using data for too long, or talk for too long. When our power goes out and it's the only phone you have it dies quickly.

Pros

• Cheap price
  • Durable
  • Call quality

• Slow
  • Data kills battery

etschuetz
posted on 02 Jan 2012, 16:16 (Posts: 2; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)

Decent phone for those that want Android Prepaid

etschuetz has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This is a decent low end phone that provides users a decent Android experience. It runs great on the Sprint Network through Virgin Mobile. The price range is great at a mere $99.99. That puts it at a price range that is HARD to beat, especially when tied to the $35 a month plan. The small screen does present a challenge to typing for those with big thumbs. The limited memory for installing apps limits users to picking their TOP favorite apps, and not much else.

If you want a good phone perfect for texting, calling and staying social, this is perfect. If you want on the go gaming and more, I would recommend something else.

Multimedia 4/10 There just isn't enough space on the device to put a lot of multimedia apps. So, no netflix, hbo go, or even TV.com.
UI speed 7/10 For being only 600mhtz, Android 2.2.2 does seem to move pretty well. You aren't waiting for the screen to redraw very often, and the App Drawer seems to always be readily populated.
Display 4/10 It is a small display, so the keyboard feels cramped. However, with some practice, and the use of predictive text/autocorrect, it comes out okay, at best.

Pros

• Small
  • Rootable
  • Decent low end phone

Cons

• So far no 2.3 support
  • Small display
  • 600mhtz processor
  • limited memory for installing apps

leviwarfel
posted on 14 Oct 2011, 10:37 (Posts: 0; Member since: 14 Oct 2011)

A great beginner phone!

leviwarfel has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I had the LG Optimus V, from Virgin Mobile USA, and I loved it! It was my first ever Android phone, which is a good thing because this isn't all that high tech. It would have a much better feel to it if it had a glass screen, but it was still very responsive. The only reason I don't use it anymore is because I got the iPhone 4.

Pros

• Good Battery Life
  • Android OS
  • Swype Keyboard
  • WiFi

Cons

• Plastic Screen
  • Plastic Feel
  • Scratched Easily

bittersideofme
posted on 26 May 2011, 15:09 (Posts: 0; Member since: 26 May 2011)

Best mid level android phone to date

bittersideofme has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I have had this phone for about 6 months now. and while its not perfect. It does outshine a lot of high end android phones. First, people are complaining about the battery. I had other smart phones that were way worse. I got a solid 28 hours from one charge. For having a low processor, it is fast. It feels really good in the hand. Its pretty thin and its not too heavy and not to light. I actually like the sprint ID thing. Its nice to have different custom screens for different situations. It does add a lot of bloat ware. which is easily removed. Biggest complaint is lack of on board memory. Even though you can move some apps to the SD card. A lot won't work properly if they are not on the phone itself. Rooting and a custom rom will fix some of that. Over all, for most of us that can't afford a high end smart phone this one gives you most of the features for an affordable price. I am surprised more people have not discovered this phone

Reception 10/10 Even inside my house with less then two bars I still have no issues making calls and receiving data
Call quality 9/10 Over all pretty good. Nobody ever had an issue hearing me or me them.
Internet 10/10 4g of course is the latest thing, but this phone handles data with the best of them. Probably the seperate processor for the modems
Multimedia 8/10 would be perfect if it did flash. that isn't LG's fault its Adobe for not supporting smaller processors
Camera 8/10 For the price point the camera is pretty good. Add third party software and it makes it better. but no replacement for a point and shoot
UI speed 10/10 very few times does the phone get slow.. it seems speedy all the time
Text input 8/10 the smaller screen does make it difficult to use the stock keyboard. but there is are plenty third party ones that make up for that
Display 9/10 pretty bright, inside i actually have it down to the lowest point and i have no issues. Outside in direct sunlight it is hard. but what phone works in those conditions.
Battery 9/10 I don't know why people are complaining about the battery I got 28 hours solid with some battery management. its just a matter of shutting things off when not needed. but I had phones way worse.

Pros

• fast

Friskypett
posted on 11 May 2011, 11:48 (Posts: 0; Member since: 11 May 2011)

Wonderful telephone.

Friskypett has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

this is my first smartphone. I love it it does all the things I wanted to do on the net.... the graphics are good, although it lacks in the bright sun the quality of calls is great. I hsave not had many probs with that... and ocasionally it will freeze. not often enough to be a negative. So far I am very satisfied with this device and often suggest it to my customers... ( sprint employee).

Battery 6/10 when you have multiple apps running it drains the battery... I have an app called app killer and use it all the time... best to surf when you have access to an outlet to plug into.

Pros

• solid phone.
  • easy to use.
  • love the ID packs from Sprint.

Cons

• battery life is annoyingly short
  • very touchy virtual keyboard.

bikerrich
posted on 05 May 2011, 21:23

WHAT A TOY!!

bikerrich has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

really enjoying the android experience; phone fits the bill for serious functioning, email, texts, mms, etc. also a great toy. and so many android apps. love being able to use google voice so easily. keeps a record of all my calls. sync with google functions on my pc is outstanding. howooooo.

Build quality 10/10 feels very solid; nice in the hand with nonskid plastic
UI speed 10/10 can't detect any noticeable lag
Everyday usage 10/10 gotta get used to touch screen; makes calls when I don't
Text input 10/10 best feature, voice input. next best, swype
Display 9/10 very bright, but washed out in daylight
Battery 8/10 so many functions; gotta turn everything off when away from the charger.

miketech
posted on 07 Apr 2011, 14:25

this phone is great

miketech has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

It is a medium entry level device it has android 2.2.2 latest froyo and has dual core processers main is 600 mhz app prosser and a modem processer it also has.a 3.2 megapixal camera and it has a andreno 200 chip for gaming it has about 16 million colors on its lcd screen

Internet 10/10 Because it connects to wifi and it gives off up to 5 devices with its mobile hotspot feature

Pros

• its mobile hotspot feature

Cons

• it has a lower battery life

miketech alternatives:

duckin
posted on 22 Feb 2011, 12:13

LG has terrible customer service

duckin has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I've had this phone for less than 3 months. It was great the first month, easy to use and good features. After month 1 the phone started "ejecting" the SD card and reloading it. Not physically ejecting, but the phone would vibrate and say "SD card removed" then five minutes later vibrate and say "loading SD card". This happens every hour or so. Not a big deal, just slightly annoying. This last week my touch screen started going out. The bottom centimeter of the screen is dead and the calibration of the rest of the screen is way off. If I tap the top left it'll push a button on the far right for example. I called LG and was told too bad buy a new phone. When I asked to talk to a supervisor I was told that it was LG policy to not let me do that. Apparently it was also LG policy to not tell me the name or address of the company's CEO. I said that this is no way to treat a paying customer and was told that I was not a customer, I was Sprint's customer and that none of the money that I spent on this phone went to LG. I didn't know that tLG is a non-profit company! Terrible customer service even though I'm under the manufacturer warranty and have only had the phone for 3 months. If you sold me a lemon fix it! I will never buy a LG again because of this incident.

Build quality 2/10 Dead screen after 3 months
Internet 6/10 a little slow
Camera 7/10 Lag between hitting the capture button and the picture being taken
Text input 8/10 cramped keyboard, but overall a good system

Pros

Cons

• Customer service is horrible!

Boti95
posted on 16 Feb 2011, 21:41 (Posts: 162; Member since: 05 Sep 2010)

Great phone for a first timer and a non-first timer

Boti95 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This phone is slim and petite. It has a 3.2 MP camera with autofocus and a camcorder. It has SWYPE and the usual Android goodies. Its Android 2.2. It is pretty speedy. The screen is 3.2 in. in length. The battery is probably going to be a concern. It sometimes runs out of juice and it takes to long to charge. This is an excellent smartphone!

• Internet
  • Slim
  • Android 2.2
  • 3.2 in. Screen
  • SWYPE
  • Pretty fast.

Cons

• Charching takes a little bit more longer.

akrish70
posted on 12 Feb 2011, 13:35

Optimus s from Sprint

akrish70 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Though I am still discovering all that this phone it is a Great phone for my first android. I am disappointed that it will not accept flash player. but that aside it is works good with skyfire. The only Con is the battery life.. I get maybe half a day without charging in with average use but in standby it will last all day or more, if the apps are shut down.

Build quality 9/10 Rubberized type of backing allows better protection when sitting on something, there is metal on the top where the head phone jack is.
Call quality 9/10 not sure if its just sprint but sometimes people sound electroninaclly muffeld
Camera 8/10 Lack of flash and pics blur real easy.
Text input 8/10 Because of the size of the screen its hard to hit the right keys cause there small. Swype works great though
Battery 6/10 Really disappointed in how quickly it runs down if gps is running it will die within an half hour.

Pros

• Display and Speed are Great! Average built durability. Very responsive!

Cons

• Battery Life Sucks bad. Phone is on the charger most of the day.

Optimus29
posted on 09 Feb 2011, 17:17

Best value of any smartphone!!

Optimus29 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I just got this as my first Android phone, and I have been blown away! Although this is just $25 a month, I have had excellent internet speed (at most 1.4 mbps download) and reception, without any dead spots or calls dropped. I rated this phone in comparison with the best smartphones on the market, but in terms of value this wins a 10 hands down. Considering alternatives run about $50 more per month for a comparable plan, this is the phone and service to get at this time. This UI is very responsive, especially compared to the Intercept. Many of the problems with this phone, such as the lack of multimedia features, is a fault of Android and not the phone. The voice recognition works remarkably well (highly recommend this feature), and the GPS is fast and accurate. I highly recommend this phone and service.

Build quality 8/10 Very solid phone- feels well built
Reception 9/10 Surprisingly, I have had no issues
Call quality 7/10 Usually ok, but in a noisy background it is much harder to hear
Internet 8/10 Very good performance, although this phone as of yet does not support flash
Multimedia 6/10 Again, nothing compares to the iPhone in terms of multimedia and music/video playback, but still can get music and has a headphone jack
Camera 6/10 Would have liked at least 5mp, but again for value, a 3.2mp is fine adequate
Text input 7/10 Find the iPhone to have the best keyboard layout, although Android excels with speech-to-text and the swype interface works pretty well
Display 7/10 New phones such as the Droid X and iPhone 4 have about double the resolution of this display

Pros

• Value
  • UI speed

esploded
posted on 07 Feb 2011, 22:02 (Posts: 3; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)

Awesome Value

esploded has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Review for the LG Optimus V.
(Just the S on virgin mobile)

If you need a prepaid android phone, this is the way to go!
It is a quality phone, for a great price and prepaid plans.
There are some quirks about it, but not something major to set you back from getting this phone.
If you are going to be for everyday use, it'll be perfect.

Build quality 8/10 Feels very solid in the hand.
Reception 10/10 I didn't experience any problems.
Internet 8/10 Browser isn't that great, but that is more of a problem with android. Other alternatives (including dolphin) isn't as good either.
Multimedia 8/10 Definitely not a strong part of android. But it's a plus that it includes a headphone jack. I suggest using other apps from the market, like doubletwist.
Camera 7/10 The quality is sub-par, but for a camera on a 150 dollar, prepaid phone, I guess it's passable.
UI speed 7/10 Can get laggy at times, but for basic use, it's very satisfying.
Everyday usage 9/10 Great to use, my first android phone, and I'm definitely enjoying it.
Text input 7/10 Stock keyboard is simply bad. Fortunately, there are alternatives such as swype, better keyboard, etc.
Display 9/10 Bright, vibrant and great for normal usage. (Though it's not as good as high end devices)
Battery 6/10 I barely last a day! It hogs lots of battery, but that's typical for android. There are lots of tips online, so look them up. Unfortunately, even with those tricks, I feel like I need to manage my usage!

Pros

• Amazing Value
  • Great screen
  • Feels great in hand, good quality
  • Runs android 2.2 and LG has promised gingerbread
  • Four physical keys at the bottom
  • Virgin Mobile has great plans! 25 dollars a month, for unlimited text and web + 300 minutes
  • 3G speeds are quite fast
  • WiFi Enabled
  • GPS Included

Cons

• Battery life.
  • Internal storage -- not enough; some apps still don't support putting them onto the SD card.
  • Laggy at times (like startup)
  • Camera quality
  • Annoying apps that you can't delete (Virgin loads them on)

Dyogi
posted on 05 Feb 2011, 17:53

Best overall value!! LG Optimus V

Dyogi has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I can't even begin to express how good this phone is. Especially coming from an Intercept. This is absolutely the best prepaid smartphone deal in the US right now. This phone on Virgin mobile for only $25 a month! How can you beat that? I gave it some 9's but that is only because some things had to be sacrificed to sell it for such an amazing price. It's only $150 and that's without a contract! If your wondering if you should get the Optimus V or the Intercept On Virgin mobile. You would be stupid not to get this phone. I've had both and the Optimus V is far superior.
Ok, on to the phone itself. First of all the screen is very bright and the pixel density is even better than the early generation iphones. There is no light sensor so you have to adjust it yourself but this is easy, just use the power control widget. The UI response is incredible. I actually don't have to wait for my phone to catch up with what I'm trying to do. I can't overstate this enough, It's amazing! It probably has to do with the dedicated GPU. Yes, it has a GPU running at 300 Mhz. You might have thought, like me, that a 600Mhz main processor would make it slow but not with 2 other chip helping it out. It has 600 Mhz main processor, a 400 Mhz modem processor and a 300 Mhz graphics processor. Makes for a great user experience.
I have to say that this is the best value I have ever had in a phone and service.

-The phone is great!
-The service is great!
-The price is great!

Build quality 9/10 Very solid but the screen is plastic. Just get a screen protector
Reception 10/10 Better than my Intercept on the same service.
Call quality 9/10 Great with good reception. Some static or break-ups with low bars but that is to expected.
Internet 10/10 Wow!! This thing is fast, especially on wifi. It's about as fast as you could expect on 3g. Probably because of the dedicated 400 Mhz modem processor!
Multimedia 10/10 Video is crisp, if the resolution is high enough of course. Audio is average.
Camera 9/10 I'd like to give a 10 here but it is only a 3.2 MP.
UI speed 10/10 Very zippy. Almost no lag unless you have a lot going on. very impressed!
Everyday usage 10/10 Everything loads fast. GPS locks fast so I don't have to wait to get going.
Text input 9/10 No slide keyboard. Kind-of miss having one. Comes with swype but still not as fluid for me, no big deal.
Display 10/10 Amazing! 3.2' screen is really bright and crisp. 4' screens are to big to me, for a phone. I actually like them to fit in my pocket.
Battery 9/10 Could last a little longer. My Intercept lasted longer but not by much. Still can go a full day though.

Pros

• Beautiful screen
  • Fast UI
  • Fast GPS
  • Fast WIFI
  • Great pocketability
  • Hardware buttons! Thank you!

Cons

• No flash
  • No keyboard

ModernMan
posted on 19 Jan 2011, 03:55

Pretty darn good, best non-4G phone on Sprint

ModernMan has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I like to try out all the phones and have used the Hero/Moment/Evo/Epic/Transform on Sprint. I like the Evo best, though the Epic has a killer screen. The Transform is a huge disappointment with the lag.

I disregarded the Optimus for a long time because of the 600MHz CPU and the 3.2" screen but make no mistake, this is a great phone! It's 2.2 and I'm assuming you know Android and I'm not here to review that so I'll just point out specifics to this phone. The screen is on par with the Moment (which is good), and has decent viewing outside. I like the easy access to the SD card and love how easy it is to get free hotspotting, no root needed.

The 4Gs are king, but at the price point this is selling for, it's a bargain! Get it activated before the Jan 30th to avoid the Sprint $10 data increase on all 3G phones! And yes, I have a screen detail in both pro and con, but it makes sense.

Build quality 9/10 Pretty solid. I prefer the capacitive Android buttons but these work out well.
Reception 9/10 Sprint is the best in OC, better than Verizon. Believe it!
Call quality 9/10 If there's muffling or static on the call, it's because all my friends have iPhones and horrible call quality here!
Internet 8/10 Sprint 3G, usually 700kbps, decent, not spectacular
Multimedia 10/10 Android has tons of options and the Optimus handles them well.
Camera 5/10 The weakpoint. It's a bargain-priced phone but have to dock some points here.
UI speed 10/10 600MHz?! Puts the Transform and it's higher clockspeed to shame!
Everyday usage 10/10 Great phone to use!
Text input 9/10 Good in landscape, I prefer Better Keyboard over stock/Swype though.
Display 10/10 Looks great, colors are vibrant
Battery 10/10 Excellent standby time

Pros

• Bargain priced
  • Surprisingly smooth, performs well
  • Screen colors are vibrant
  • Free hotspotting without root, what?!

Cons

• No LED on Camera, VGA Video
  • Sprint ID is annoying, install LP or ADW
  • 3.2" screen is a big step down from the monsters out there

ModernMan alternatives:

demonflash
posted on 19 Dec 2010, 20:29

This phone sucks don't buy it

demonflash has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Everything sucks...
I dropped it on the carpet and it broke
I took a picture and it was all fuzzy and pixelated
Internet is so slow...
Hard to text right, touchscreen is hard to manipulate
display sucks

Don't buy it... A waste of money, Everything sucks a lot
The video capture is suckish- believe me- i know things

Pros

• There aren't any

froggiemonster
posted on 16 Dec 2010, 22:31

Awesome, with minor disagreements

froggiemonster has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Good quality display, super-fast internet, fast processor and very good sound quality, but i find it awkward that the speakerphone is on the top. Overall, this phone is a very good one, up to date, and the droid operating system is cool and easy to use. I would reccomend this paone to anyone who likes sleek and performance all in the same phone.

Build quality 9/10 A little slippery, but it feels really comfortable in my hand.
Reception 10/10 I once called from a hospital next to the ambulance communication tower, and i called home and i could hear my friend better than my previous phone(communication tower should have screwed up the signal)
Call quality 9/10 Very good quality, but not too many brightness settings.
Internet 10/10 Very high speed, a good, clear browsing image, unlike the pixelating on my previous phone.
Multimedia 9/10 Clear sound, but the speaker is at the top, which i find awkward.
Camera 10/10 For a 3.2 megapixel, very good quality picture and very good video capture.
Text input 8/10 A little hard to get the right letter the first time.
Display 8/10 Very good display, not too many brightness options, but a very good quality image overall.
Battery 10/10 Very long lasting battery, up to 10 hours, vs. 4 hours with the previous phone.

belivingtheword
posted on 22 Nov 2010, 16:01 (Posts: 9; Member since: 06 Nov 2009)

My downgrade is an upgrade

belivingtheword has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

If you have an 800 Mhz processor and think the only way to get rid of lag is to upgrade to 1 Ghz, then I recommend that you first try this phone. After installing all my apps, I am very pleased with the Optimus, it’s outperforming my Moment by a long shot. It's not even funny.

I hope I won’t miss the keyboard. For now, Swype is satisfactory for free. I'm gonna miss my LED flashlight. I'm not going to miss waiting 10 minutes for a GPS lock. I couldn't find much on the combination of AGPS and SGPS, but it works fast!

I primarily use the camera for document scanning using DroidScan. I tried it on the kids at McDonald's, and I was impressed with the shutter speed. The 3.2 inch screen with 16M colors is pretty good and fast. Also, it plays WMV files, which is new. Multi-touch is also really nice!

I like that I can uninstall Sprint programs. I was also able to free up more memory by putting low use programs on the SD card. The physical buttons prevent accidentally presses.

I prefer for the speakerphone to be at the bottom of the device, so the sound is amplified by the natural curve of your hand. It's awkward to "cup" the speakerphone when it's at the top. I think I'm the only one who does this, but y'all gotta try it. The battery lasts 9 hours where I would normally get only 4.5 hours out of my Moment.

Overall, I am very happy with the Optimus. It has a good display, good processor, and good camera, great battery, with excellent GPS and excellent performance.

Build quality 9/10 Very solid, but a little slippery for me. I had to buy a case.
Internet 10/10 Connects to both wifi and EVDO, without a problem.
Camera 7/10 Missing an LED flash, but it takes pictures very quickly.
UI speed 10/10 It responds immediately! I push the Home button, and it goes to home. I swipe left, and it goes left. It's fast!
Text input 8/10 I prefer a physical keyboard. Swype is a nice free keyboard, I suppose.
Display 8/10 I came from an AMOLED screen.
Battery 9/10 Lasts 9 hours for me, where I used to only get 4.5 hours.

Pros

• Great Performance
  • Awesome GPS
  • Good Battery Life
  • Slim
  • It actually works!

Cons

• No LED flash

jen8112
posted on 16 Nov 2010, 16:20 (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Jul 2010)

Love this phone!

jen8112 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've had a Moment and a Hero and the Optimus S if my favorite Android so far! This phone is awesome! :)

Only problem I have run into is the SD card unmounts and remounts all by itself. You can try reformatting the card but hopefully LG comes out with a fix soon.

Pros

• No Lag!
  • Lots of options
  • Just works!

Cons

• Low battery life
  • No camera flash
  • SD card problem