LG Optimus G AT&T User Reviews

Build quality9.7/10
Text input9.3/10
Everyday usage9.5/10

ˇಠ_ಠˇ
posted on 27 Apr 2013, 20:07 (Posts: 40; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)

Great Phone!

ˇಠ_ಠˇ has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I just wish that it were updated to Jellybean by now. But otherwise it works perfectly! I haven't experienced any lag at all and everything runs smoothly even when the phone is on its eco mode which is supposed to limit the processor's operation.

Update: It now has Jellybean!

Camera 7/10 The camera sometimes takes pictures with unrealistic colors.

mytra80
posted on 26 Feb 2013, 10:04 (Posts: 0; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)

Pretty Nice Phone for the price.

mytra80 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I decided on this device because it was Quad core with 2GB of RAM and LTE for $99 on-contract. Similar devices are $199 and $299. The phone screams past other devices in performance. The screen is beautiful, the build quality is top notch, the UI is light and un-obtrusive. Video editing software that came preloaded is a bonus.
A few qualms that I encountered were the skinned browser (I just used chrome instead), the stock android keyboard, and an unimpressive camera.
Big no-no's that I encountered were terrible reception in rural areas. I travel a lot and found myself with no signal in places that my GS3 and Lumia have 1 bar and EDGE for data. Being a bit of a power user, terrible battery life overall. IIt takes about 2hrs to charge fully. Unfortunately, I can kill the battery in 4hrs with my average use. I forgot my car charger once and drove around with no phone for 4hrs. Unacceptable.
Overall I love the phone, living with the poor battery life is a small price to pay for the performance I expect from my phone. I now carry a 16,000mAh backup battery. The reception issue is a deal breaker though. If you don't venture away from cities or power outlets too much this is probably the greatest phone deal you can encounter.

Build quality 10/10 Its a beautiful device, solid build, great design and feel.
Reception 5/10 General reception in metro areas is ok. Rural areas are hit or miss. I have carried several devices, and I get zero reception in places where my old GS3 got EDGE.
Call quality 9/10 I did get periodic buzzing during call. Not a deal breaker, as it was once and a while.
Internet 10/10 The LTE is solid.
Multimedia 10/10 Some of the software that came preloaded is awesome. One of the big reasons I haven't parted with this phone.
Camera 8/10 Low light performance isn't stellar, but otherwise a decent camera.
UI speed 10/10 The 2GB of RAM make this device a pleasure to use. I am consistantly surprised on how smooth it runs.
Everyday usage 8/10 Battery life isn't super. If you put the quad core into eco mode, you get standard battery life, but you suffer performance in my opinion. (about 25% drop)
Text input 8/10 Standard android input. Swiftkey is my gold standard, so the stock keyboard feels so-so
Display 10/10 Very crisp, text is easy to read and video looks great. The colors are vibrant and blacks are nice and dark.
Battery 7/10 If you are a power user you will find yourself alway seeking a charger. The device charges slowly, but eats battery quickly. Using GPS and light gaming killed my battery in 4hrs.

• UI speed
  • Multimedia
  • Build quality

• Reception

mytra80 alternatives:

dancorcal
posted on 23 Jan 2013, 08:42 (Posts: 33; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)

Very Good Phone

dancorcal has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This is my first Android phone, and I more than pleased. So far, not one hiccup. The phone is a perfect size and weight and looks great. The customization you can preform on the phone is awesome. Everything is fast from email to internet to games, and works really well. Also the battery life has been very good for me as well. I can go two days between charges. Becoming a big fan of LG right now with this one. The only weakness so far for me is the camera. The video works well, and it has some cool software that comes with it. The camera itself isn't bad, but isn't great either.

Camera 8/10 Camera could perform better. Not great quality and needs better stability.
Everyday usage 9/10 Would be a 10 except for camera.

• Size and Weight

etotherescue
posted on 27 Dec 2012, 04:32 (Posts: 25; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)

Beast.....Great smartphone

etotherescue has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Great smartphone. Never lags. Great Display. You can customize the icons, which is kind of nice. Q-Slide is awesome if you like to text and watch your movies. Phone boots up in less than 5 seconds. What more can I say......this phone is great!

Build quality 10/10 Build quality is great. Very sturdy....has some weight to it. The gorilla glass front and back make it feel very premium...like its supposed to feel like.
Reception 10/10 Calls sound good.....solid. I was traveling through some mountains once had great reception. My brother and Dad came along. They both have the iphone 4S they had no reception.
Internet 10/10 LTE is lightning fast. Pages render very fast. No lag. Flash based videos play smooth.
Multimedia 9/10 The default music player......looks very bland. But i've never really used the default music player on any of my phones. The Optimus G has a feature called Q-Slide. With this feature you can watch a video and text, browse the web, and anything else you want while watching your video. Sounds like a gimmick. But its actually useful. Dual Play is awesome as well.
Camera 8/10 The camera is ok. I wouldn't praise it.....but its really not as bad as some people say. It takes good pictures. Just don't try to take pictures in low light they turn out very grainy. The flash is nice and bright.
UI speed 10/10 NEVER LAGS!!!!
Everyday usage 10/10 Like i said.....never lags. Software is great no bugs.
Text input 10/10 Very responsive. I use swift key. But the LG Keyboard and Android keyboard work great as well.
Display 10/10 Greatness! Colors are nice realistic....not over saturated. Font is crisp. Display is very bright at 100% brightness. Movies look awesome.
Battery 10/10 I'm a moderate user.......meaning i make a few calls text all day and browse the web all day. The battery lasts all day. I always have the display at about 80% brightness. It has an "Eco Mode". which saves alot of battery juice. I've tried it on eco mode and at the end of the day........i usaully have about 50% battery left.

Pros

• SD card Expandable Memory

Cons

• Battery non-removable

etotherescue alternatives:

fervid
posted on 27 Nov 2012, 12:22 (Posts: 172; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)

Pretty Good device, just needs more cases.

fervid has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Only cons is the camera is a little grainy- About Atrix 2 quality. Back button seems to be unresponsive at times too, but not that it isn't sensing me as it does give haptic feedback but the OS isn't responding to it. Everything else is great so far.

Build quality 8/10 Too Slick, too thin, glass can break and limited cases, non-removable battery.
Reception 9/10 Not perfect 100% bars, but usually all but 1-2 in most areas.
Multimedia 9/10 Bluetooth streaming audio delay.
Camera 7/10 Good options, but very grainy and HDR is slow.
UI speed 9/10 Allows rotating Home which is cool, but redraws slow like HTC Sense.
Text input 9/10 LG Keyboard is nice, but autocorrects wrong and even puts spaces in email addresses after dots and at symbols. I use Swift Key 3 though which works great with the phone.
Battery 9/10 Averages a day with good screen management, all ATT Apps blocked or uninstalled, and ECO Mode On. Phone/Android System needs fixed as it uses 70%+ then it may get 1.5-2 days. Hidden Service Menu allows turning off LTE too for better battery and less heat.

lifelesslump
posted on 07 Nov 2012, 23:55 (Posts: 2; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)

What an amazing phone.

lifelesslump has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Now sense I got it I have been pushing it to it's limits, with no success at getting it to it's limits. This phone is simply spectacular. The 4.7 in screen looks incredible. The quad core processor and 2GB of RAM is a great investment, this phone is durable and will prove to be a great phone for a long while. I have read poor reviews of the speaker but it sounds great to me. I purchased some bluetooth headphones to go with it and works great. there is some "bloatware" but with the 16 gb internal and the possibility of 64 GBs external that isn't a problem. And every game I have tried has worked perfectly, or very close to perfect. I noticed one small issues that are with many phones it gets sort of hot when multitasking while plugged in to the wall, but not hot enough to damage anything. The call quality is excellent, I did not notice the reported echoes and neither did my friends I called to test it out. The internet is blazing fast. Just using the phone is awesome, and is very easy to customize and has great potential overall. I do want to say this phone is big but fits comfortably in my hands (they are normal sized hands) and pocket. the battery is good, lasts the entire day so no complaint there. The camera works well front and back and provides plenty good quality. This beast of a phone will not let you down.

Pros

• Everything, enough said.