LG Esteem User Reviews

Build quality7.8/10
UI speed7.7/10
Camera8.8/10

belieber1996
posted on 06 Apr 2014, 19:34 (Posts: 0; Member since: 27 May 2013)

Good, Sturdy Phone that's quite pricey

belieber1996 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

The LG Esteem is a bit heavy for it's screen size, but otherwise its a pretty solid phone. It's expensive considering it has an HDMI Output and a high quality 5 MP camera, which takes great photos. The 1 GHz processor isn't the fastest out there, but it's sure to get the job done. LTE speeds are very good and are actually quite comparable to the top carriers. The display is quite bright and shows clear and crisp text. Thee battery life however is very dismal, which can drain halfway through a regular day. Otherwise, the LG Esteem is worth the money if you plan on getting an extended battery.

Build quality 10/10 Very heavy and sturdy.
Reception 9/10 MetroPCS continues to improve with their coverage.
Internet 10/10 LTE speeds are quite impressive, which makes this phone a good phone for web browsing.
Camera 10/10 Takes surprisingly good photos.
UI speed 8/10 Doesn't have the snappiest processor....but it gets the job done.
Everyday usage 10/10 Just be sure to carry an extra battery or a charger.
Display 10/10 The display is big and delivers a bright and vivid contrast.
Battery 6/10 Poor battery....can drain within half a day.

Pros

• 1 GHz Snapdragon Processor
  • 5 MP Camera
  • LTE Speeds

• A Bit Bulky

belieber1996 alternatives:

Spiderstan
posted on 18 Oct 2012, 21:21 (Posts: 0; Member since: 04 Sep 2008)

LG Es-Steaming pile of crap

Spiderstan has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I've had this phone since 1/15/12
I must say at first I was in love, Screen size 4G speed, 4gigs of internal memory the phone was a dream in the first 2 months, but the shut downs started,the phone would either shut down or reboot @ will, I thought this was a result of me rooting my phone, so I unrooted it and installed the firmware update to no avail. I continued with more of the same issues, the performance just got worst over time, then one morning I woke up to find the phone was showing no service, I rebooted the phone several times and nothing, I took the phone back to Metro to have it replaced, 2 hours later I had a new phone this time I opted not to root it, kept every thing factory on the phone Yet the same conditions exist, shuts down when it wants to , and I've noticed If I have about 50% battery and try to take a pic the phone will reboot about 60% of the time, I now have a 2 second lag when attempting the most simplest of task, this phone is not all its cracked up to be, not sure weather to thank Metro or LG for this debacle but its been a burden to me, lets see how there version of the Galaxy S3 fares

Build quality 8/10 Phone over all is pretty sturdy
Reception 8/10 Reception was over all fine

Pros

• Screen size
  • can be used as a blunt object
  • HDMI port

• Slow Booting
  • Constant Reboot
  • phone locks up often

winklebottom
posted on 08 Jun 2012, 12:34 (Posts: 0; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)

Lemons are sour :|

winklebottom has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I loved this phone and it ran great after the root and removal of the bloatware. I never had issues until recently my PRL, phone number and all of my account information started disappearing off of my phone. After help from the Android forums, I fixed it last month. Only to have it happen again. Think long and hard before you buy this phone. It has been a nightmare.

Pros

• ok call quality
  • front facing camera
  • great 4g speeds

Cons

• prl delting

Joely
posted on 19 May 2012, 22:53 (Posts: 0; Member since: 19 May 2012)

Don't Bother

Joely has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Not a horrible phone, great display, great speed, Camera works great. HOWEVER the battery life is HORRIBLE. the phone turns off automatically once in a blue and hangs up calls after a certain time. I live in New York City so reception is not the problem. I barely use my phone, I leave my house around 9 Am with full battery, by the time im in school 1/4 of my battery is gone. (keep in mind that i dont use my phone during class)* right after school i go to work and By that time my phone is dead. It doesn't go past 4Pm. :( Great sound, camera and speed but all that means nothing if the battery sucks. I was HIGHLY disappointed. I have a busy schedule and I really wanted a phone that could keep up with me, but this just doesn't get the job done. I've had this phone Since November 2011. At first works well but after a while you see the change.

• Front facing camera

panaru
posted on 14 Oct 2011, 17:00 (Posts: 0; Member since: 14 Oct 2011)

LG Esteem

panaru has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I love this phone. I knew what to expect by looking at the tech specs that the battery life would suck bc of all it can do. I was right and got a travel usb charger. I've seen other smartphone users adopt this or get the extended battery. It's not a miracle in new battery technology. KNOW THIS BEFORE YOU BUY IT. The screen is just huge and lovely. Movies and apps stream fast when metro's LTE service (in it's baby steps) decides to work, but having wifi pick up networks at school, coffee, and home without a problem is an awesome way to avoid all that. The phone itself is slightly bigger than an iphone, but thinner. Texting, fb, msgers of all sorts, and other apps run quickly and smoothly. If you dont like the keyboards included (the phone also features swype) download one from the market. I have no complaints.

Build quality 7/10 The phone is large, but not nearly as heavy as one would expect. Altho i currently carry the phone without a case in my purse I will be getting a protective case in the future. It's more like a tablet you could probably drop it a few times with minimal damage, but wouldn't do so on purpose!
Reception 8/10 Like everything with Metro you get what you pay for. The call quality depends on your area and it's neither great nor terrible for what you pay without a contract.
Call quality 8/10 I am still trying to find a comfortable way to hold the phone, but have only had one person ask me to speak louder.
Internet 7/10 It's still early in Metro's LTE and when the net is working at it's peak it's great, but when it's not it's almost unusable. I use the wifi on this phone a lot, and was expecting to, so again for what you're paying for a phone under no contract it's not bad.
Multimedia 9/10 Mid level android device with very little restriction before rooting! I love this device!
Camera 8/10 The back facing camera is clear and has many options for a cell camera. 5mps is more than enough to take a clear photo and put it on fb. The front facing cam is lacking, however, at 1.3mps and it shows. It is a neat feature to take front facing pics with friends, but the regular facing camera really shines.
UI speed 10/10 I have had no lag with this phone whatsoever.
Everyday usage 7/10 I love the features, but as with all smartphones the battery life sucks. Even with mild usage expect to charge this once a day or see your phone saying it doesn't have enough juice to complete a task. Not wanting to enlarge the phone's back with an external battery pack I purchased a portable usb charger. I have seen iphone users carry these, and frankly with everything the phone can do I'm not surprised at the battery life at all.
Text input 8/10 The phone gives you many different ways to input text. I don't care for swype, but it is available too. If you hate the on board keyboards download one you do like from the market.
Display 9/10 Display at 720p is beautiful! I can read the phone in direct sunlight no problem. This is the first phone i've ever had where reading it even at a strange angle lying in bed or outside I can read my screen. The screen is huge tho, so if you cannot read it for some reason....you might need better glasses! It's a mid range smartphone, so it's not true 1280 HD, but it's a phone....this display is just awesome. I'm sure there are better phones on CONTRACT, but this phones display is just plain
Battery 5/10 Neither good, nor unexpectedly terrible the battery life is around 4.5hrs talk time. Expect to charge this phone once a day, or choose to stop using all it's fun features. I invested in a travel usb charger, there is an extended battery, so know you phone. It's par with other mid range to heavy tech android phones or an iphone. If you run all it's fun features the battery will suffer. This is hardly a reason to hate the phone, but know what you're buying.

zerouniversaldrift
posted on 30 Sep 2011, 20:35 (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Feb 2011)

A great phone that's actually worth the money!

zerouniversaldrift has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

The LG Esteem is less of a phone and more of a small tablet device, this thing is huge. The 4.3" display, although not AMOLED, is very bright and very clear with good visibility even in direct sunlight. The 4G capability is great if you're used to the MetroPCS 1x network, handling internet, youtube and even video chat with ease with as little as 1 bar of 4G coverage, at least in my tests. The only real draw back is that all of the features and giant display do tend to eat up battery life pretty quick, under normal use I can get a full day out of it, but when I feel like playing a few games or joining a video chat it's a good idea to keep my charger handy. All in all though,a great phone.

Build quality 10/10 Solid Construction
Reception 9/10 4G coverage is great in the Daytona Beach area, has dropped to 1x a few times. As of yet no dropped calls.
Call quality 10/10 Clear and loud both with speaker phone and normal use.
Internet 10/10 Fastest for for internet in MetroPCS's lineup
Multimedia 10/10 Includes flash 10.1, haven't found an app yet that won't run on it.
Camera 10/10 5MP rear camera with 720p HD video recording and a LED flash, with a 1.3MP front facing camera. Pictures and videos are very good quality with accurate color reproduction.
UI speed 9/10 Snappy response for the most part when flipping through screens or opening apps.
Everyday usage 10/10 So far so good, has handled everything I've thrown at it.
Text input 10/10 Giant 4.3 inch display make typing super easy with either the LG keyboard or the Swype keyboard.
Display 10/10 4.3" display with 480x800 resolution is easy to read, and shows images and video with great detail.
Battery 7/10 Battery life is a bit short if you use the phone constantly, you may want to get a second battery or keep a charger handy. Talk time on the phone in my testing is about 5 hours.

Pros

• Large crisp display
  • 4G speeds
  • Front facing camera
  • LED Flash
  • Flash 10.1 support

Cons

• Battery life could be better