LG Decoy User Reviews

buckeyesfan45643
posted on 01 Jun 2009, 18:37

amazing

i am very impressed with this phone i am a teenager and put a lot of abuse on this phone and it has lasted me a year and a half.  i love the analog stick especially once you get used to it.  It is alot faster than using a normal dial pad.  the one disadvantage i noticed is it is hard to see the screen in the sunlight that it is the only problem i have had.  the camera is very good. i do not use the built in bluetooth often but it does come in handy at sometimes,

Laurenlaurent
posted on 27 Jan 2009, 21:23

meeeowww

i've wanted this phone since it came out, but had to wait for-ev-er for my contract to be up, and finally when it was, i went to the store and its sold out!! luckily, i went to a kiosk (terrifying, but well worth it) and they had it.
i've heard many things about not being able to open videos, but if you forward it to yourself or anyone you can watch it from your outbox, which solves the problem but is still a big hassle, because this phone takes a long time to send pics or videos for some reason.
i've never used a bluetooth headset before, and this one sounds kind of static-y, but i don't have any comparison. people i've talked to couldn't tell i was on a headset! it fits in my ear fine without falling out. i don't use it for extended periods though, so i can't give a good opinion.
the shiny face is really attractive, the pictures on the internet don't do this phone justice AT ALL. its a fingerprint magnet but that honestly doesn't bother me.
it feels solid and the slide is really smooth and feels secure which i like a lot. the battery dies so fast from what i'm used to with my old phone, but it lasts through the day and i can charge at night.
the ringtones don't get very loud, and it only vibrates once for a text and i'm used to 4x.
overall i like this phone and anything i feel wrong with it will just take getting used to.

Pros

• awesome service
  • call quality
  • good build quality
  • great pictures
  • bluetooth doesn't stick out like i thought
  • buttons push really nice haha.

Cons

• i wish sliding it closed would end the call
  • unable to open videos, fixable but still no fun
  • takes long to send pics or videos
  • joystick
  • quiet ringtones

klynne
posted on 24 Sep 2008, 15:11

Finally!

Jackpot!  I upgraded initially in July to the Venus, it stopped working after 4 days, then I got the Chocolate 3, the callers sounded like robots, then I got the Motorola W755 in Purple, that was activated for 1/2 hour when a Verizon rep recommended I activate my old phone since when we were talking the phone cut out twice for at least a minute before I could hear her again!  3 phones and I was beginning to think that during these 2 years that the phones out now were crap!  I had wanted the Decoy from the beginning and I shouldve just got it then before getting these others that were free to me.
I really like this phone!  Callers sound good and the reception is excellent.  The battery isn't the best but I am used to that with my old phone.  I don't care for the bluetooth too much, callers sound ok to me but I was told that I don't sound very clear.  That is not a big issue for me since I use a plug in headset anyway instead of bluetooth.  My only issue with the phone is the joystick, it is sometimes slow and at times it is too fast in the sense that if I am texting and scrolling through my contacts to chose one, it will just mark a name that I didn't want.  You have to be careful with that or you will be texting a bunch of people that you didn't want to!  Other then this and my hopes that this joystick will hold up, I am satisfied with this phone completely!  Take it from me, if you read one bad review about the way...

Pros

• Call quality
  • Reception
  • Sleek

Cons

• Joystick is loose and sometimes slow - hope it is able to hold up

decoy owner
posted on 22 Sep 2008, 17:07

cool but definitely has bugs

I like the Decoy okay, but have found a few significant bugs that are ridiculous. I'm surprised it came out of the testing cycle and into the market with these bugs going unnoticed.
1.) The phone rarely recognizes video files, so basically when you open the message it shows like a picture. When you go to hit PLAY it takes you to the reply menu. It's ANNOYING if you receive videos at all.  I get them now and then and 99% of the time it does not recognize the file correctly.
2.) When you have a missed call and a new text message, if you hit OK to view text message, it will not show the message, it instead brings up the missed call notice.  You have to exit out and reopen the messages menu to view the new text message.
3.) When I receive a text from a Blackberry, the response does not open in the message.  You can only see the first few characters of the message in the main Inbox list of messages.
I know these bugs are not just my phone, because I have already traded it in for a new one.
Verizon was not helpful in getting this to work. They basically told me it would be fixed in the next software update.  They were VERY unhelpful in giving me any kind of time frame when that would be.  Not even 2 weeks, a month or two years.

Talmage Larson Jr.
posted on 25 Aug 2008, 20:54

shlaz-man

The bluetooth addition is unique but perhaps the rocket-scientists at LG could have thought outside-the-box and desided to include with the phone, foam covers for the earpiece (like what the I-pod offers) on the bluetooth so that the way it fits in the ears of, say a million different users, would expand its use and the situations where the thing keeps falling out would be fixed...just a thought.

Matt
posted on 08 Jul 2008, 09:24

Great phone..

I really like this phone and here is a bit of advice for those who have had problems with the bluetooth headset falling out of their ears...I used one of the extra black foam covers for my ipod, fits the ear piece perfect. And now its a lot more comfortable. Also fits back into the hole on the back of the phone easily.

Nick Maninfior
posted on 05 Jul 2008, 16:28

I Love the Decoy

i got this phone the day it came out and i have love it so far....i love the headset and didnt think i would ever use it, but i have use it alot....im actually a verizon sales assosiate and im very surprise at how little this phone is selling...yes it is very hard to read text or see the display while outside, so if you are outside alot then this phone is not for you. But other then that i love this phone and i havent had any problems with it.......

Cat Peterson
posted on 03 Jul 2008, 11:47

catjp

I love this phone so far. The bluetooth feature is what sold me. I have not figured out how to store the back cover without misplacing it just like i did with the previous bluetooth. I was always losing the old B-tooth in my purse, now I will probably misplace the back!
Overall it is very convenient to pack and carry, plus the B-tooth is right there whenever I need it and charging them together is super convenient. I do not have a problem with not having a hook over the B-tooth either.
I do wish the slide opened a little higher because it is hard to reach the End & Send buttons at the top of the key pad with my long nails....
Also I noticed the the owners manual does not have good instructions for sending pictures and videos to other subscribers and transferring to other media. Also how to store & transfer music is not explained well.

Zack C.
posted on 28 Jun 2008, 22:24

Excellent

I purchased this phone, the day it was released. The same day i discovered it even existed. I just happen to walk into my local 4g verizon store looking for an upgrade, and bam I find the Decoy and I'm hooked. Excellent singal strength, beautiful, sleek design, for the body and the operating system. 10/10. I love this phone. Sound quality rocks too. Love the MP3 support, MicroSD, and built in blue tooth as well.

Toddball
posted on 26 Jun 2008, 02:13

A classic already.

I went from my ever-trusty LC Chocolate (1st generation) to this. My main selling point were the similiarities ,in design to the Chocolate. The other selling point was the built-in Bluetooth, which says something being that I never used a Bluetooth device before. Needless to say, I think this phone is great. Nice, sturdy design without being too heavy or bulky. Great response when I touch the top buttons as well as the keypad. The display is absolutely gorgeous with it's 2.2", 262K color screen. The interface is Flash-based and comes with 4 different themes to choose from and looks great. Pictures come out surprisingly clean as well (as with any camera phone, a steady hand does help) and the larger video option (320x240 as opposed to 176x174) is a nice bonus as well. I'm absolutely fascinated by the Bluetooth headset. Ridiculously easy to setup and use. And EVERYONE I talk to was not able to tell I was on a headset, let alone a Bluetooth headset of this size. The ONLY cons I have against this phone are 2 things. I may have found a software bug (at least, that's what I'm hoping) in where I received a Video message from a friend and was not able to play it. It came from an LG phone (the Chocolate) and is the same file type. When I hit Play on my phone, it takes me to the Reply menu commonly found on LG's menus (1. TXT Message, 2. Picture message, etc.) I have still not been able to view it because I can't even save the video. Hoping this will be in the software update. My primary...

eric
posted on 24 Jun 2008, 20:05

shiny face!

every phone i owned i always had a problem with reading it in sunlight, so it's not just this phone it ALL cell phones, LCD displays are hard to read, even my ipod nano is hard to read in sunlight, there is a thin plastic screen cover over the display, you have to peel it off, so dont pay attention to the other review about not being able to see the screen, thats NOT the phone, i dont have any problems reading it out doors. this phone kicks #@. 8.3 rating on cnet, there hasn't been to many reviews yet. still to new. solid phone.

Dave
posted on 24 Jun 2008, 10:00

What's up with that shiny face?

Great phone, but egad! You can't read the screen outdoors! It looks like there is a very thin protective plastic sheet covering just the screen...I wonder if you pulled it off...would you get rid of that awful reflectivity?

Seriously, if you need to use your phone outside, especially if it's sunny, think twice about this phone. The design engineers at LG never took this thing outside and used it.

josh
posted on 23 Jun 2008, 19:56

bluetooth headset

this is for the people that are having trouble with the headset not fitting right. take the foam piece of one of your head phones and slip that over the ear piece, this will give it a more snug fit and also a very soft feel, i did this the other day and wore it for 3 hours without problems and without discomfort. try it!! you will love the way it feels, much much tighter! you can buy a ear hook for it from samsung.com $1.99, but i dont think you will need it after you try this. good luck!! it a great phone, dont return it because of the bluetooth,

josh
posted on 23 Jun 2008, 19:31

keep em coming lg

another hit for lg!!! env2, chocolate 3, Dare, and now the Decoy.....love this phone..!!!!!

sammy
posted on 23 Jun 2008, 19:27

cnet is right on!!

cnet is spot on with this beauty, 8.3 out of ten. phone is solid by itself but having the bluetooth on the back, great!! have NO problems with the bluetooth, fits perfect, i also use a wep200, i cant stand a bluetooth with a hook! pretty soon you will no longer see hooks and bluetooth headsets. get use to it!! out with the old, in with the new. freeze problems?? #10 what the heck are you talking about, i dont even think you own this phone, lg sucks?? you might want to switch to t mobile then. great phone, great call quality, great features.

Pete
posted on 22 Jun 2008, 18:35

Add another tally to the "good" list

Haven't had a whole mess of time to play with the phone, but after using it for the weekend I love it. I read a couple reviews that said the bluetooth reception was just ok, but I have found no problems with it. I have never had a bluetooth headset before, so I can't compare it with anything other than the fact that nobody I have talked to had any problems with it, and I could hear them just fine. My only gripe with the phone is that I'm not used to the smaller keypad. It's kinda hard now to text while I'm not looking at the phone. The phone is definitely a good buy for someone looking for a good everyday phone that has some tech appeal as well.

ARON
posted on 22 Jun 2008, 15:42

This is a great phone from LG. Very innovative by LG by intergrating a bluetooth into the phone. It is a bummer that there is no earloop with the bluetooth. The menu is very user friendly and can easy customer the shortcut keys on it. It's nice being able to push up on the toggle button and have your bluetooth connections there, instead of having to go through the process to get to it before. The phone is very sleek and has a nice appereance to it. The bluetooth also fits very snug in the specific holder on the back and goes good with the look of it. Overall once you get the overall feel for the phone and are able to "customize" your settings, the phone is great and easy to operate

brandon fisher
posted on 22 Jun 2008, 14:57

Worst offff its kind the inctinct is way better

i was soo pissed of on the way its good for a few days after it shows its bad "colors" really bad phone its starts frezing up and the sliding messesup the phone dont get it no one its crapy lg sucks!!!

trip
posted on 21 Jun 2008, 13:48

way to go lg

not a fan of sliders but lg did a great job on this, bluetooth is as good as any other, but will still use my other one, i look at it this was buy this phone and get a free bluetooth headset. if this phone didnt have the built in bluetooth it would still rock!! got so many compliments at my job, the phone is shiny silver like, nothing i have ever seen. you navigate with a little joystick, it's freaking cool!! takes some time to get use to. go and get this kick #*@ phone, you wont be sorry.

kyle
posted on 21 Jun 2008, 13:20

great slider phone!!

picked this up the other at Verizon with my 2 year upgrade. I waited because i was going to get the env2 but my friend returned his, he said he was getting to many drop calls and the out display was useless, so i heard this was coming to Verizon, im so glad i waited. The bluetooth isn't the greatest but, it's better then ones that cost $50 or more. sound quality on this is f ing perfect, the speaker phone is better then any other phone i had, LG got it right on sound quality, to me thats all that matters, i got signals where i never was able to get before. four bars all the time, it's great!! it not heavy or bulky, dont know what the other reviewer was talking about, the env2 was heavy and the Voyager is bulky. this phone is a nice size. the front screen is beautiful, the toggle button to navigate through menus is awesome!! it's so easy, NO MORE click, click, click,...i will be keeping this phone for years to come. go out and get one.

Jay
posted on 20 Jun 2008, 10:13

ok

i got my phone on june 7. i ordered it through the 1-800 # the first thing i noticed is it was pretty bulky for what it is. my wife has the nv2 and when i put them side by side the nv2 was about the same size and weight :( i really thought that they could have made this phone a lot more thiner i mean it doesn't have a pull out key board like the nv2 nor does it has 2 screens like the nv2.

pros:
looks great
blue tooth

cons:
weight
bulky
blue tooth falls out of my ear

conclusion:
it's a pretty good phone but i think LG could've done better!

freddy
posted on 19 Jun 2008, 19:12

best phone

very happy with the Decoy, glad i got it. the best!! i agree with the others, toggle button is awesome !!

eric
posted on 19 Jun 2008, 18:07

best phone so far.

ok, let me start by saying the bluetooth is a GREAT idea but, it may or may not fit your ear. I got lucky!! it fits great! not the best bluetooth, but better then the ones i have paid lots of money for. the headset fits very tight and snug in the back of the phone, i was worried about this when the first pic were posted on the internet. no worries, this headset is not going anywhere. bluetooth headset has everything you need, redial, call waiting, volume rocker on the side...ect. has no ear hook, that i like. ok, now the phone! it has a mirror finish to it, looks very cool. has a toggle button to operate menu functions, takes some time to get use to, took me a few days to get it down just right and now i love it. call quality on the handset is perfect! called a few people right away and no one new it was my cell phone unless they looked at the caller id. speaker phone is nice and loud! you dont have to have the slider open to use speaker phone or off. you can have the phone closed and still talk, just change a few answer options and your good to go. let me say i had the env2 and went through 3 in one month, i hated everything about that phone. the small screen on front was useless., call quality sucked and drop calls daily. back to the Decoy. it has a screen lock on front, no adjustment for this, no big deal for me. the back of the phone is a blueish purple, again, very cool! The env2 i had, vcast did not work all the time, never worked at my job, the Decoy gives me vcast at work...

Mike Parker
posted on 19 Jun 2008, 16:05

dp

Great phone all around. My headset fits my ear really well so it doesn't want to fall out at all.

Casey
posted on 18 Jun 2008, 20:34

The Decoy is a clean and simple slide phone. The screen is smaller than the Razr and it is a bit thicker, but overall it is smaller when open.

The main feature is the detachable bluetooth device.
In theory, this is an EXCELENT idea, however, good luck keeping it from falling out of your ear. After only 2 days, it is already almost not worth using it since every time I go over a speed bump (or I turn my head too quickly) it falls out of my ear, inspiring me to drive erratically, cursing, as I search the floor of my truck with one hand. (Sorry officer. I'm not drunk, I am just looking for my bluetooth so I dont get a ticket for driving while talking on my cell phone.)

Really I am disapointed that the bluetooth wont stay in my ear. If it did, I would love my phone. But it doesn't.