HTC S720 Libra User Reviews

posted on 09 Apr 2009, 00:22

This is a pretty decent phone.  The keyboard is nice to have.  Could have been better without the small round pop up type pads but, hey, it's better than an on-screen keyboard to me.  Slider and landscape feature are nice.  Pretty easy to navigate and I appreciate the revision A they upgraded it to.  Email and messaging are easy to use.  IE is nice to have.  Just a nice little phone that works well as both a phone and a pda and a internet source on the go.  Not many other devices pull this off well.

• Ease of Use
  • RevA
  • Freeze Ups are infrequent

Cons

• Limited amount of email accounts

Debbi
posted on 02 Dec 2008, 10:37

I love this phone

I previously owned the MotoQ, which I loved, but accidently drowned. Did you know cell phones don't swim?? Who knew! Anyway, this phone was a "free" upgrade for me. I have had no problems with it. Love the querty keyboard (was used to it) and I especially like the fact that this phone (with the sliding keyboard) is more compact than the MotoQ. Reception is great, looks great, sounds great! Yeah, a touch screen would be nice, but you can't have it all. Very satisfied with this phone.

Pros

• Great size, style. Great sound, reception. All-over a great buy!

Cons

• None.

Rose
posted on 15 Nov 2008, 22:43

RUN for the Hills

I waited 6mo for this phone to hit the market and was the first to buy one at the verizon store near my home.  Its the worse phone I've ever owned.  While it has some features I really like...  It fails bc the phone locks up almost every day.  If its not the Qwery keyboard its the whole phone.  Just locks up without warning or for any apparent reason.  I've been to numerous verizon stores and they fixed a few glitches but no one has overcome the lock up issue.  Its been a big disappointment.

Pros

• Keyboards light up so easy to see at night

Cons

• phone locks up alot

H
posted on 26 Jul 2008, 18:03

I had the phone for about three months and the problem I kept running into is that the phone actutally came apart. The only thing connecting the keyboard with the rest of the phone was a ribbon. I had someone I know fix the phone by taking it apart. It happened 2 more times after that. I decided to get a blackberry instead. The windows mobile 6 os worked absolutely fine and the internet browsing was fine. Just the structure of the phone could've been better. Sound and call quality amazing of course because its Verizon!

Paul
posted on 24 Jul 2008, 15:50

Excellent Phone

I got this phone for 99.99, who can beat that? Everything works great. This is my first PDA cell phone, however I am a software devloper for PDA devices, so it was easy enough to understand. The reception I get is amazing, my previous phone, from the same carrier, would not get a signal in the basement I work in, this phone I get enough signal that I can even surf the web! For 99.99 you can't beat this thing! It was actually free for me, because I had a 100 dollar upgrade!

Only thing its lacking is a TOUCH screen.

crystalson
posted on 30 Apr 2008, 23:06

My first smart phone

Pros: I love the keyboard and the PDA capabilities. Also, we found a way to get MS Word onto the phone so that i can make documents and not just review them. That's fun. I've only owned for 3 days, which brings me to my negatives...

Cons: My battery is dead for the fourth time and three days. I don't even use the phone that much AT ALL. I have texted at least a hundred messages each way and probably had three minimal phone conversations, no more than 45 minutes of talk time total on each charge. These are quite a price to pay for the fun of a keyboard and MS Word. I'm used to charging every day, but not because my phone will shut itself off if I don't I also like to have a random 6 hour phone conversation once in a while. That could never happen with this phone.

Martin DeAchalo
posted on 13 Apr 2008, 10:08

HTC S720 Libra: review

I've had this phone for 2 months now, and I have some great news to tell you. The internet is very fast, email is easy also. If you're looking for a great buy, this is one.

MarkB
posted on 30 Jan 2008, 11:13

My favorite phone yet

This is my first smartphone, but I have owned PDA's in the past so I'm somewhat familiar with the interface. I've had this phone for a week now so here are my opinions:

Pros: Small, lightweight and comfortable to hold. Keyboard has already become second nature to type on. OS is pretty smooth and there is minimal lag time between operations. Calander function is a lifesaver. Camera takes the best pictures I've ever seen on a phone. At first I wasn't sure I would like the number pad on front, but after actually using the phone for a while I realized it's one of the best features. Sometimes it's just faster to respond to a text using T9 (I know I'll be burned alive for saying that, but it's true). Word Mobile works as advertised. Sound quality of calls is good. Wireless Sync is awesome, I love getting my emails through Outlook Mobile. Bubble Breaker is actually a pretty fun included game. The phone is pretty in person, much better than in pictures. The sounds it makes (slider sound, ringtones etc.) are very pleasant to the ear and makes the phone seem very high tech. The screen is very well lit and nice on the eyes. Make sure to turn on the light sensor because it really helps when keyboard lights up at night.

Cons: The file structure is not very intuitive. Takes some time to get used to where everything is. Active sync was a MAJOR pain to get setup. My Vista PC would not recognice device. Somehow I got it to work, but I still am not able to sync through bluetooth because I...

Jeff
posted on 28 Jan 2008, 07:46

6.6

Verizon SMT5800

Good device overall, with the following observations. Pros: Nice integration of phone and PDA. Light and small for its functionality. Cons: The slide out drawer does not seat firmly in the closed postion givng the phone a loose and flimsy feel when being used in phone mode. The talk time is far shorter than advertised. I have yet to get more than 3 hours. Surpised there is no voice dialing (as distinguished from voice speed dial and short cuts, which it does have). Not particularly sensitive to a weak signal. Has only one built in alarm function (though you can use the calendar to get an unlimited number of audible reminders.) Despite these quibbles, it is a good unit; would buy again.

Big-D
posted on 28 Jan 2008, 00:26

Excellent!

I have had them all. My company pays for my phones so I get to try them all out and return them at no cost to me. So, I have had or tried the Samsung i700, i730, Treo 700w and wx, Motorola Q, Q9m, XV6800 and now the SMT5800. I am a regional sales director for a major medical company and getting and replying to emails is paramount. For the size, battery life, signal quality and ease of use I LOVE the SMT 5800!! Cons are a green indicator light that you canno turn off and when you text msg you cant start typing their name in the (TO) bo and get their address. On my Q9m the name would pop in and you did not have to go to "Add Recipient". Those are my only complaints. It works great for all my personal and business emails with a secured VPN. I reccommend this phone to anyone who needs power and to conserve space.

Allison
posted on 27 Jan 2008, 23:49

Not too bad, for what it is...

My first PDA/Smartphone (outside of the BB I had back when I was on Nextel, BEFORE Sprint...). Not too bad...it was easy to pick up. I have small hands/fingers, and the qwerty keys are still a little awkward to operate. All in all, it runs well, lags a bit when opening the phone. Sound quality is pretty good when turned up, and it was easy to add my own ringtones to. All in all, I think I'm still gonna take advantage of my 30 day "trial" period, and switch to the 6800. That's the phone I wanted in the first place anyway, Verizon was just out when I went to get it, so...I settled. Almost not a bad choice, but just not quite there with what I was looking for. I think the touchscreen navigation will be much easier. Battery life on this phone is great though (and I'm a pretty heavy mobile user...). Nice display, easy to use.

mijegdod
posted on 08 Jan 2008, 06:09

Not Verizon Unit

Splitting hairs maybe, but this is not the Verizon unit. phonearena has merely replaced the HTC S20 Libra reviews for the Verizon unit because they are ostensibly the same, but who knows what bug fixes have occurred in the 7 months between the two releases. Sound quality on my unit was pretty standard.

Hjanfield
posted on 05 Jan 2008, 00:17

Nice

Keys are a little small for the large-fingered, particularly on the keyboard, however the phone has a nice design to it. Windows Mobile 6 runs well, although app support for the phone seems missing: Many of the applications and games I attempt to install state "they were not designed for this device". Also, not being able to use custom sounds for anything but incoming calls is quite annoying. Reminders, texts, etc seem limited to the phone's sound collection only.

As for the ring volume problem the other user had, try changing your profile to Outdoor or editing your normal profile for a louder ring.

Anon
posted on 27 Aug 2007, 18:53

Ring Volume.

I had a similar issue with the old PPC6600/XV6600, i used an audio editing program to increase the output sound dB. it helped a bunch being able to hear the phone!

nav
posted on 08 Jul 2007, 15:33

libra-ated

i just bought it. i love it. i love the way it works and messaging and emailing has never been easier or quicker. i dont know how to increase the sound of my ring...its not loud enough and thats my only qualm with this phone.