HTC S620 Excalibur User Reviews

melissanye13
posted on 27 Feb 2011, 17:57 (Posts: 0; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)

Alright at first.

melissanye13 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I first got this phone in 2007, so at the time it was considered quite cool. But, this was before everyone had blackberrys and iphones so this phone is now dated and cheap. I've had it for four years now, and it hasn't had one scratch to the screen which has surprised me. The full qwerty keyboard is nice to use though sometimes your finger slips and you press three keys at once, but honestly, I prefer qwerty keyboards to touchscreens. I hate the layout of this phone. It looks revolting. The layout and design of the actual software is complicated and boring. It gives you a list of phrases to choose from, right there in black and white, written in the most boring and dull format. The new android system seems a hell of a lot more preferable. This phone lasts two days on full battery, standby time. I don't use my phone much for this reason alone. I don't have any music on my phone either and I rarely take photos and store messages and yet, my phone still tells me that it's memory is full. I like having the internet on my phone but it is terribly slow. The camera isn't amazing but I wouldn't expect it to be, because remember, it is just a phone. It doesn't have a very bright screen to be honest. JOGGR thing is crap. It has panic attacks every now and then and controls your phone by scrolling through your home screen. Overall, I hate my phone. I hate my phone more than blackberrys, and I hate blackberrys (the phone not the fruit.)

Build quality 10/10 This is the best thing about the phone. It's sturdy and I've never had a single scratch. I like the hold of the phone too, it's fits nicely in your hands when typing too.
Reception 3/10 It's poor. Doesn't really do HTC justice.
Call quality 6/10 The calls are okay, could be a bit louder both for speakerphone and held calls.
Internet 7/10 The internet on my phone is good but can be extremely slow. You can get most popular sites.
Multimedia 5/10 The speaker isn't very loud on the phone and I don't use the windows music player on my phone often. You can listen to live radio through the music player though. Picture viewing isn't amazing.
Camera 5/10 Low megapixel camera and I don't use it often. Videos only last for about three minutes.
UI speed 9/10 I've never had a problem with the speed before.
Everyday usage 6/10 It can take a bit of effort going straight to your texts or call history but you'll get there in the end.
Text input 8/10 I do like the QWERTY keyboard though it can be a bit fiddly but it's far better than the tiny touchscreen my dad has on his htc.
Display 6/10 The display is okay. The screen is hard-wearing, but it can sometimes be a struggle to read something on the screen because it's either too small or not bright enough.
Battery 1/10 My phone is turned on for normally two days in a fortnight because the battery is so terrible. If you want a better battery, you have to buy a bigger one that fits and a new back cover for it too, which adds weight to the phone and humiliation to your life. This is what bugs me most about the phone. The battery is so awful. I'm a teen so you'd expect me to be texting all the time or something. I don't because of this horror of a phone.

Pros

• Tough, hard-wearing.
  • Hasn't been scratched or the 4 years I've had it.
  • QWERTY keyboard.
  • Internet access.

Cons

• Battery life is 2 minutes.
  • Screen isn't very bright.
  • Earphones are rubbish, so you have to buy the new HTC ones because normal earphone jacks don't fit.
  • JOGGR thing is crap. Sometimes it has little spasms and scrolls through everything and you can't control your phone.
  • Internet is slow.
  • Camera ain't great.
  • Isn't really comparable.
  • Speakers are quiet.

rmeyer7
posted on 07 Aug 2009, 00:43

Great for its age

I've had my Dash for almost 2 years.  It's been a solid and reliable device.  Compared to newer smartphones, of course, it's a bit dated and slow.  Mostly that's because of the lack of 3G and limited RAM.  Those 2 factors are the only reasons I gave it less than a 10 for performance.
But when my phone is a couple of years old and people who see it for the first time think it's fancy and sexy, I have to say HTC created a winner with this one.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this phone to someone upgrading from a standard phone to their first smartphone.  The only thing I'd suggest is to get one that's had the T-Mobile version of Windows Mobile replaced with a factory HTC version.  That gives the phone better performance and even more functionality.  It also allows you to enjoy WinMo 6.1 instead of 5.0 or 6.0.

Victor Andrucson
posted on 28 Dec 2008, 00:18

Dash has worked out great

I use the Dash with Exchange Server for my e-mail, contacts and schedule and it works flawlessly.  I synchronize with 802.11g and it just happens automatically when I arrive home or at the office.  I could use the GPRS network to do it but don't want to spend the extra money.  But it would work if I needed it.
Other than that, the children like watching DivX movies that have been recoded and just think that overall the phone is cool.  Like most phones, I would always like better battery life but the availability of USB power is pretty ubiquitous and so power has turned out to not be much of an issue in day-to-day use.
Overall, the phone is better than I expected and I would give it a 9.9 out of 10.

Pros

• Great Exchange client. Very stable and reliable (have not had to reboot it once in over 2 months). Hands-free Bluetooth works flawlessly.

Cons

• Have to pull it out of the case to answer it if not using hands-free Bluetooth.

FJ
posted on 26 Dec 2008, 23:05

An interesting toy, but little else

This really isn't suited for any serious business use, being mostly oriented towards someone thats wants to look cool while not really needing features like a reliable schedule or more than a single alarm setting.

The software (I'm using ver 6.1) will not sync the schedule reliably with a desktop, with dates and times coming out jumbled, the alarm allows only a single setting for people who need a maximum of only one reminder alarm although it does daily recurring alarms of that single setting, navigation is a total pain, the manual is sorely lacking, and it has trouble (compared to other phones I've used) with picking up a decent connection even in strong reception areas.

Pros

• It looks like you're cool and know what you are dong when you play with it.

Cons

• You really can't do anything but look cool playing with it, trying to use it for business leaves you needing to carry a laptop and regular cell phone with you to accomplish the tasks you would like to do with this gadget.

posted on 09 Nov 2008, 10:27

dash is the best smartphone i have ever owned. i had the blackberry but that was nothin but problems. windows mobile is a great feature. i am able to download lots of things off the internet for free and put them on the phone no problem. i even put a nintendo on my phone. find me a blackberry that can do that. for free.

DeAndre Turner
posted on 20 May 2008, 23:25

Awsome

I've had this phone for about 7 months. It is absolutly great I love the capability to get email, live search and internet explorer. The only thing that I have a problem with is that it could be a little slow at times. But you are also able to end tasks when you want to.

Brandon
posted on 31 Oct 2007, 19:15

lonesome

I have had my Dash since April and it was my first 'smartphone'. I just lost my phone and now I miss it.

The phone was really perfect in size and design and features.

webpages, IM, e-mail and text messaging worked very nicely.

the texture on the back was great (non slip)!

sound quality was great!

The biggest drawback would be speed while running some of the applications, especially accessing pictures and video.

Many times while holding the phone to my head the touch volume controls on the side would keep changing. It was a good idea, but needs to be tweaked a little.

Overall, I liked the phone a lot (I am a bit geeky), but now I am drooling for a faster phone with even more capabilities...

James
posted on 25 Jul 2007, 01:11

great device

great device, very well designed, good for money i had to shell out, good for user who wants all-in-one device, wndows mobile 6 is cool, very few bugs

Beyonce's twin
posted on 09 Jul 2007, 15:36

Its ok....

The Dash is ok. The speed could be a little better. The clarity on screen and voice is fantastic. I am satisfied but nothing spectacular about the phone really.

colleen
posted on 10 Nov 2006, 23:02

the new dash

i just got my dash, and i love it. the clarity of websites is amazing, and the speed is awesome. i love that i can change connection, network. this phone rocks