HTC Rhyme User Reviews

Everyday usage8.1/10
UI speed8.8/10
Camera8.6/10

wasifbtr12
posted on 10 May 2014, 11:57 (Posts: 0; Member since: 10 May 2014)

HTC Rhyme, the most coolest smartphone I've ever owned!

wasifbtr12 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

It's good.. Sometimes, while browsing the Internet on it's own browser or other browser it goes very slow that looks like you've opened hundreds of apps in background... but overall, it's very nice!~!

masterson1998
posted on 15 Dec 2013, 12:12 (Posts: 0; Member since: 15 Dec 2013)

Great Little Phone!

masterson1998 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

First of all, I would like to say that I really wasn't planning on getting a phone like this considering I am a guy and it's purple. But since my HTC Incredible 2's antenna broke, I didn't have a choice but to use my cousins old phone. But I did get a case so you can't really tell that it is purple.

Surprisingly, I think that the phone has way better built quality and a better screen than the HTC Incredible 2. It is made out of metal, glass, and some soft touch rubbery plastic on the back. It's super comfortable in the hands.

I do wish this phone did have 4G LTE but it was before it's time.

The camera on the phone is pretty AMAZING considering that it is only a 5mp shooter. The camera has many different effects and shooting modes and even shoots in 720P HD video. The front facing camera isn't that great but you can still see details unlike my Incredible 2.

The UI of the phone has changed from the original Sense UI. The bottom bar is now customized for the Rhyme and has 2 buttons instead of a bar with 3 buttons on it. The personalize button is missing. But the rest of the phone works great and noting has really changed for me. (In fact the lock screen is better than older HTCs).

The battery is non-removal which really sucks because on the rare occasion when the phone freezes, I can't take out the battery but I just have to wait about 3 minutes (it's only happened to me once or twice). If the battery somehow breaks on me, then I will have to buy a new phone which sucks because...

• HTC Sense
  • Small
  • Screen Resolution

Cons

• Small front facing camera
  • Non-removable battery
  • Hard to find cases

masterson1998 alternatives:

bylertoe
posted on 09 Jan 2013, 23:21 (Posts: 0; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)

Not for me, but maybe for you.

bylertoe has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I lost my Thunderbolt about 6-7 months ago. When we attempted to replace the phone (through Verizon) we were required to fill out multiple forms in order to prove that we didn't steal the first phone. After waiting 5 months for them to back down my parents bought me a Rhyme used for $75. The truth is that when I got this phone I was upset that it was smaller, but it is still a fully capable smartphone. My Thunderbolt would always fall out of my pocket, but the rhyme is too small for that. I truly can't wait until I can get a new Thunderbolt. (for 2 reasons) 1) The Rhyme is designed for a person on the go (or for a girl), but that's not me. 2) I was accustomed to the large screen of the Thunderbolt, I think that the size of the phones varies drastically because most people like a small phone or a big phone, and I like the large style of phone. That said the screen is very bright and I have much less glare than from my Thunderbolt, the battery last all day, and the internet speed is fast. This phone is not for me, but I can clearly see that for people who do not want a large bulky phone that the Rhyme is a big phone shrunk down them.

Pros

• small
  • fast
  • screen

Cons

• small
  • small memory (in mine)
  • I failed to upload music

bylertoe alternatives:

OwnRhyme
posted on 03 Jun 2012, 14:20 (Posts: 0; Member since: 03 Jun 2012)

Great phone!

OwnRhyme has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I just got this phone and I'm glad that I got it.

But first the reason why I got this phone was because of its screen resolution, which (to my eye) was comparable to iPhone 4S. Yes, the resolution is high. The colours are vivid, the details are sharp.

Other things that impressed me were its speed, particularly UI speed. The build quality of this phone is good, because of its alluminium unibody construction. Makes it feel premium quality phone.

Those are the things I'm happy about.

What I'm not happy about is its software, particularly the mail client, which cannot do push mail. Yes, it claims to do it, but you're running the client to poll at an intervall. This is not push mail.

The mail client is not that advanced either. Lacks features like "select all", mark mails as read without actually reading them, search etc.

So, out of box mail client is a problem. That and the phone tends to heat up during normal use. Not by much, but warmer.

Other than that, it's a good phone. Definitely recommended.

Oh, I'm a guy and I like this phone very much. No, I haven't got the purple one. I've got the "Sea Glass" color.

Build quality 10/10 Aluminum unibody construction.
Reception 9/10 The reception is lower than my other phone, a BlackBerry.
Call quality 10/10 Great call quality.
Internet 10/10 Great internet experience.
Multimedia 9/10 Good multimedia feature.
Camera 8/10 A good camera but since this phone comes with a high resolution screen, which doesn't get along with the camera. Higher resolution camera needed.
UI speed 10/10 Very fast.
Everyday usage 8/10 Mail client draws it down.
Text input 10/10 Predictive text input makes it easy to type.
Display 10/10 Great! Absolutely.
Battery 8/10 Need a bigger battery.

Pros

• Style
  • Unibody Aluminum Body
  • Great UI
  • Good voice clarity

Cons

• Default email client is not good.
  • Tends to heat up after normal use.

OwnRhyme alternatives:

shelliedog
posted on 25 May 2012, 14:44 (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 May 2012)

Battery Defects

shelliedog has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Bought phone in November 2011 and had trouble in December - phone wouldn't turn on & may have caught a virus (with Lookout installed). In March-April really started to notice problem with the bottom of the phone getting a bit warm (it may have always been warm but I really started to notice it in March). It would be downright hot after coming off the charging dock. In May I took it to the Verizon Store because SD card wasn't recognized. Salesman pushed it back in and burned his finger on the SD portal. We returned the original phone to Verizon and received a new Rhyme within 2 days. Within 3 days it was getting hot again and wouldn't turn on. In talking to tech support at Verizon, I plugged it into a PC with a microUSB and it started to charge, eventuallly turned on. Within minutes it was hot and I burned MY finger on the SD portal. We concluded the battery (on two separate phones) were overcharging, and of course, on a Rhyme you can't remove the battery. I asked and they made an exception to replace it with a Droid 3 (gee, thanks). It was a nice phone in many other respects, particularly because it was thin and lightweight (but you can't find a cover for it). Disappointed because I was going to get an I-phone when I originally went into the Verizon Store last November and now I have an old reconditioned Droid 3 that will be out of warranty in 6 months and I can't upgrade for another 18 months :(

Build quality 7/10 It is lightweight and thin, but you can't buy a cover. The camera has a touch button that can be awkward to use.
Internet 6/10 It would continue to default to WiFi even when you turned it off in Settings. Had to change the setting everytime I wanted to use phone for internet.
Text input 7/10 The keyboard is a little hard to use. It's a touch screen and the thing that makes it attractive for build (lightweight and thin), makes it painful to type.
Battery 2/10 Battery is defective (overheats) and as time goes on, it will only hold a charge for a day. It also runs down very quickly if you run apps.

Pros

• Lightweight
  • Phone is nice

Cons

• Battery (can't remove and defective)

mikcatemprate
posted on 23 May 2012, 19:43 (Posts: 0; Member since: 23 May 2012)

Perfect phone for Marathon Runners and Travelers.

mikcatemprate has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

GPS works good, has a excellent map tracking feature. The accelerometer and compass is excellent. Tracks my running accurately using the endomondo app. The camera takes nice shots, nice shots in sports activities and even captures great images in low light. Video capture and sound is not 8/10. Call reception is excellent. The quality of display and amazing. Battery life will last with me almost 2 days using wifi, multimedia and endomondo. The Dock mode is really cool, speakers are very clear and can go very loud. There are now some accessories for it like the phone cover in the market. internet usage is exceptional.

Pros

• Excellent GPS, map and sports tracker

Cons

• May go slow using a lot of apps

redman
posted on 04 Nov 2011, 11:04 (Posts: 10; Member since: 14 May 2008)

Bad reception

redman has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

It seems to have an antennagate issues, the signal is normally poor, but when held like in a normal talking position the signal becomes unusable and looses 3G. Trying to see if anything can be done about this but so far this is a major concern and potential show stopper.

Call quality 8/10 when I can get a steady signal
Everyday usage 3/10 no signal makes it essentially useless

Pros

Cons

• singal strength

mzmiamia
posted on 19 Oct 2011, 18:02 (Posts: 0; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)

LOVE MY RHYME!!!

mzmiamia has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I just got it yesterday. it is my first android and im soo in love. So far the only thing I dont like is the fact that unless your dock is plugged into the wall, the speakers dont work, i thought it would also run on battery and there isnt a camera button along the side or top but i figured that. The battery is good. I cant put it down.still trying to learn how to use all the features but its going well!!

greenflames510
posted on 01 Oct 2011, 18:41 (Posts: 0; Member since: 01 Oct 2011)

Impressed

greenflames510 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This is my 3rd smartphone I have ever had, and so far its great! Battery life is a day and a half for me (avid text and internet guy). Yes, I understand this is intended for woman, but being a guy, I REALLY enjoy it! Very simple to use and I enjoy the new user interface minus one feature... if you switch screens to fast, all the pages rotate in a circle. This is however a small price to pay, and I wold recommend it my friends. Camera is 5 MP and take good shots. The best way I can describe it feel wise is like a mini thunderbolt. As with the accessories that it came with, the charm is very useful and functional. To all you lady reading this, it will be a nice touch for you. Texting works just fine. Be aware that you will NOT get a phone cover for it. Reception is also exceptional. IT has little pre- installed apps that would originally slow you down.
PS for all you runners, there is a preinstalled ap that keeps track of your distance, time, etc. Sold me over.

Camera 7/10 Its a decent camera at 9 MP.

Pros

• Screen,
  • New UI
  • Processer speed

Cons

• no optional cover
  • cant take out battery or SD card