x PhoneArena is looking for new authors in New York! To view all available positions, click here.
HTC Rhyme Discussions
  • Options
    Close

notification madness

redman 29 Oct 2011, 10:30 posted on

Just got the Rhyme for my wife and so far it seems pretty nice, except for one bewildering issue. Whenever she gets a call that she does NOT answer, and it goes to VM, she will get a message saying that she has a missed call, and then a second message saying that she has a VM, which seems normal. But when she click on the message to check her VM, she then gets another message saying she has a new VM just for checking her VM's. This is extremely aggravating and I cannot find any settings to prevent this from happening. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Otherwise, aside from the signal strength seeming somewhat low compared to my Thunderbolt, the phone is very nice and the battery seems to last at least all day.

posted on 04 Nov 2011, 10:09

1. redman (Posts: 10; Member since: 14 May 2008)

Update: Spent a long time on Verizon tech support, level 2 even, and it seems the problem of the notifications is with the account setup, so not a phone issue. It has been a couple days and they are still working on it, but hopefully this will get resolved.

Regarding the signal strength, the phone has dropped several calls and the signal strength jumps all over the place even when standing still, so this might be a deal breaker. I did try holding the phone differently, and it DID seem to effect the signal strength. When I experimented with the holding issue (another antennagate possibly) the signal was consistent around -80dBm when I barely held the phone with two fingers and keeping my grip below (when phone was held vertically) the phone and not blocking the back at all, but when I held the phone like "normal" (so almost the entire back of the phone is covered by my hand) the signal strength goes to -101 immediately and zero bars, and definitely NO 3G. I can then remove my hand and hold the phone the other way, and the strength goes back to around -80. I hate to say it, but this phone might have a serious antenna problem. I have NOT flushed out this problem with Verizon yet, but I am highly concerned.

posted on 25 May 2012, 14:26

2. shelliedog (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 May 2012)

Had a Rhyme since November. In December it had a problem and wouldn't turn on and spent 30 minutes with Verizon tech support trying everything. Right before we were ready to return it under warranty it turned on. In March started to notice that phone would get warm on the bottom, especially after charging. In May, went to the Verizon store because the SD card wasn't working. Turns out it wasn't inserted all the way. In the meantime, the salesman burned his finger when he touched the SD portal (part of that bottom of the phone getting hot). We returned this phone to Verizon for warranty replacement. Day after replacement came it started getting a little warm. Charged it overnight and it wouldn't turn on. Connected it to micro/USB cable and it started to charge - immediately started to heat up. Verizon tried to say all along it was the SD card, but it happened when the SD card wasn't there. FINALLY, I asked for a different model (have to get a Droid 3 - all they had) and keep that for 18 more months until I can upgrade. Only thing tech could say was that battery was overcharging (on both phones) which was creating the heat and forcing it to shut down (and not turn on). I would NOT recommend this phone - I believe it is defective.
WHY OH WHY DIDN'T I GET AN I-PHONE WHEN I COULD???

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Buy Accessories

Latest stories