HTC Phoebus User Reviews

Build quality8.3/10
UI speed6.7/10

Yaritza
posted on 04 Jun 2011, 10:44

A very good entry smartphone

Yaritza has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Overal: an excellent phone with a mediocre battery. Very good entry smartphone, and first smartphone. It lagged a little bit the 2 first hours but then everything normal. Ithink that instead the phone getting used to you you have to get used to the phone if that makes any sense.

Build quality 9/10 It's very good built quality and the design is beautiful but when I put the microsd card the phone feels so delicate almost breakable.
Reception 8/10 I have not test it I got my phone yesterday and I need to reactivate my SIM card NOTE: it's not the fault of the phone, I haven't use my SIM card in half a years :s.
Internet 8/10 haven't test it there arent many free hotspot around home I'm going to do it on monday at school.
Multimedia 9/10 Music reproduces great, but it doesn't have equalizer, pictures very clear, I don't know about videos.
Camera 10/10 excellent for a 2.0 mpx camera
UI speed 10/10 I dont't know what's that so 10.
Everyday usage 8/10 battery life sucks but if I put the phone mode off I don't lose battery so I don't have to charge it at night if it's not necessary. NOTE: If I put thr phone mode off the alarm clock works, and the other things too XD but that means lose battery life
Text input 9/10 Text input great the keyboard is very easy to use. But since in Dominican Republic I don't need the XT9 (wathever its called) and Ican't turn it off, ad I can't put it in spanish either but I'm getting used to press the "add word" thing.
Display 10/10 excellent
Battery 5/10 Battery life sucks, but as I stated before if I put the phone mode off it doesn't consume anything and I put my alarm clock and tadah! everything the same at the other day.

Pros

• WIFI baby! XD
  • pocketoffice
  • nice design

Cons

• the way you have to put/remove the sim card
  • it doesn't have a 3.5 mm headphone jack, but I'm quite indifferent

MDIMSRE
posted on 18 Apr 2011, 09:32 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)

Shadow is a decent entry Windows phone

MDIMSRE has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Although discontinued, the Shadow was a great entry level Windows phone for those who don't need all of the bells & whistles. have had the phone since 2008 and it was great for basic smart phone functions.

The new Windows phones are nice, as are the iPhones & Androids, but I would like to see a 2011 version of this type of phone for a guy like me who needs some smart phone functionality with some toys and a compact design with a similar keyboard.

I just ordered the Nokia Astound (C7) as an upgrade. I hope I like it.

Pros

• Perfect integration with Outlook
  • Compact
  • QWERTY keypad

Cons

• Slow Interface

kanoka
posted on 03 Dec 2010, 14:23

T-Mobile Shadow

kanoka has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I loved this phone. It was my first Windows phone, and I didn't know what to expect. I liked the UI, call quality was okay...not the best, but decent. The semi-qwerty keyboard took some getting used to, and I wished the camera had a flash, but I was impressed with the photo quality. My issue with WinMo is the lag, and the fact that you have to manually end programs even though you exited out of them (lame). The internet wasn't impressive at all, but I loved everything else about this phone. After I switched from T-Mobile, I let my friend use it and she loved it. Its demise came from her trip to the beach (electronics do not like sand grains under the hood), immediately followed by a drop in a slow-draining sink. I loved this phone before my friend trashed it (hah!) and so did she. I wish they had made this phone for Verizon, so I could get another one and use it now.

Camera 9/10 Impressive camera for only a 2-megapixel-er

Pros

Cons

• the need for Task Manager

Deb
posted on 10 Feb 2010, 11:59

Poor

I purchased 7 of these phones May 2009 for business use.  We are completely dissatisfied with them.  The majority have been replaced at least once, with a few being replaced twice.  Battery issues, syncing issues, the phones turn off & on at a whim...too many issues to go on with.  I'd strongly recommend staying away from this phone.

Carley
posted on 30 Jun 2009, 12:08

ew

after about a year my screens colors started to go crazy with purple and green. then the back light wouldnt get bright enough... now its completly black and i cant do anything... and no i never dropped the phone...  sliding phones have problems with their wire connections, so avoid those models

CellPhoneAddict
posted on 24 Nov 2008, 11:24

Great Except For One Thing

I got the Shadow phone in March and I loved it. Having the scroll wheel double as a 5-way directional pad was very efficient, and I liked virtually everything on this phone except the battery life. I suppose with as much as this phone does it is not surprising that a phone would have a poor battery life, and I am hoping that this will be resolved by all cell phone manufacturers. This phone was full of great features, and I really enjoyed using it. I say 'enjoyed' and not 'enjoy' because I was waiting for the 2008 Sidekick to be released and jumped at the opportunity to get it. Now that the novelty of the SK has worn once again, I may just start using the Shadow again.

Pros

• Beautiful Resolution and Camera Photos
  • great QWERTY layout
  • smart QWERTY performance
  • Browser even faster when using Wi-Fi

Cons

• Very Poor Battery Life - must charge every night, even with light use

Angie123456789
posted on 17 Sep 2008, 10:47

I hate this phone!!

I got this phone in November of 07 it was worthless then and it's worthless now!!! I figure I would get used to it and then it woun't be so bad but I have had nothing but problems with this phone. The ringer volume has not worked since I bought it and neither Tmobile or the phones manufacture will do anything about it beacuse they say "is not a common problem" The txt message always says I have an unread message even when I delete all my messages, the bluetooth signal comes on when ever it wants 2 not when I tell it 2, the keyboard gets stuck all the time, and some of the keys have to pressed real hard for them to work. I hate this phone the only thing I like is it looks kinda cool other than that .... ugh!!!!!

posted on 05 Sep 2008, 17:56

Great phone for basic user

have had this phone since it came out in december and still love it. once you get used to the keypad you can text really fast and the xt9 usually works very well. great vibrant screen with nice bronze/copper finish. everything is great about this phone except battery life- if i use wi fi for even a couple mins or have it on vibrate it lasts maybe a day but i do text alot so that may explain that. also i dont like the windows media player since it doesnt have an equalizer. otherwise very good phone for the basic user and for only 99 for qualified upgrade.

Pros

• price, feature set, compact design, user friendly

Cons

• battery, media player, sometimes lag

posted on 26 Aug 2008, 16:59

HTC ain't bad, but this phone is all wrong!

This phone sucks...Stay away from this phone... Far away.. I have had my fair share of phone that I loved in the past, but I have owned this phone for like 6 months maybe more now, and I completely hate it. I actaully ordered the blackberry 8120 and I am waiting to get it. I tried holding off for a newer phone to come out hearing that by Decemeber T-Mobile should have a pretty good selection of phones, including that new andriod powered htc dream. I just couldnt hold off anymore.

Davey
posted on 19 Aug 2008, 11:46

3.2

to say i'm disappointed is an understatment

i got my shadow not to long ago, in march or 08, it is now august and the phone is completely unusable through no fault of my own.

the phone it self looks decent, and i love the feel of the soft touch paint, but thats about all i can say about this phone as a plus. it does not come with a memory card, and is pretty memory intensive, meaning after a few pictures or text messages it starts to slow down and it gets frustrating, while this is an easy fix, i don't feel like one should have to spend the extra money for something that most phones in this price range already come with.

once i got it and had it updated it seemed to work well enough, for about a week or so. i started to have a lot of issues with the phone freezing up, or becoming non-responsive for short amounts of time. the phones reception is also rather poor, as with the dash that a few of my friends have(same phone basicly), i was ready to cancel my contract with t-mobile after a month because almost every call i had was dropped which is very frustrating when your trying to trouble shoot photo lab equipment over the phone so you don't need to drive into work on your day off.

the calender is a little bit flunky and the majority of the phone i found to be less than user friendly. along with options you couldn't turn off, like the text message sent confirmation that pops up 5-10 seconds after you send a message, its a minor annoyance to me personally as well as friends who use the dash, the only way i have found...

Bella
posted on 07 Aug 2008, 11:46

everythings great except for the sucky battery life

i love this phone and all it's features and it's good for me cause i'm not using it for business or anything like that but if your gonna be talking on this thing all the time then you might not wanna get it cause i charge it all night and by about 5 pm it's almost dead and i don't talk a lot i mainly txt but except for that it is a great phone very easy to type on and great camera!

luckyRT13
posted on 07 Jul 2008, 02:52 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 Jul 2008)

6.4

I bought this phone as soon as I saw it, being a phone-junkie I had to have it. I used it happily for a few months until I went back to work and had to start setting alarms to wake up. Once you set an alarm there is NO deleting it. It will continue to alarm at the time you set every single day. There was no clearing any of the alarms, so after a short period of time I put my almost-new shadow in its box and bought a Sidekick Slide as it's replacement. I won't use the phone again until they have a fix for this very stupid problem on this OK smart phone. I haven't followed up with this problem but I do know that it is common. Overall the phone is one of my favorites, it does have a decent camera, phone calls are decent - clear and loud, a lot of features, but I didn't like the options for display choices - many different "home" views and only a few colors.

Ondrea
posted on 06 Jul 2008, 12:02

T-mobile Shadow

I HATE this phone. I loved my old phone, which was also a slide phone, and the whole reason I looked at this one when I found mine discontinued. The function keys are backlit by a light that goes out in like 5 seconds, so if you are in the dark, you will inevitably hit the wrong key. The upper left function key is usually the main command key, and it is tiny and located right next to the home key. You will be right in the middle of something and take yourself inadvertently right back to home. There is no apparent way to change the backlight on either the number pad or the function keys. RIDICULOUS.
There is also no ridge at the top of the buttons in order to prevent you from pressing them every time you slide the phone shut.
The processor sounds great when you read the specs, but it IS slow. It gets backed up all the time.
The phone is comfortable in your hands, the rubberized backing feels velvety and soft. I find it to be very durable, although the front kind of feels like cheap plastic.
I did like that it came with a regular battery and an extended battery with an extended cover to hold the larger battery in place.
Its only real redeeming quality is the fact that the ringers and speaker volume can be set extremely loud. It actually has great volume.

posted on 22 Jun 2008, 18:08

Well the overall design i like, with the keyboard and interchangeable menu options. But it is made kid of cheap. i think a more durable one would be better, but its good for the money you spend on it.

Alec Fitagerald
posted on 18 Apr 2008, 16:24

Worth the money

I think this phone is great, it has everything I need and more. i love windows mobile, and the Features are great. but, it moves to slow. the processor is not powerfull enough. but that semes to be the only problum that i have, the processor. overall i think its the best phone iv ever had.

Nicholas Carranza IV
posted on 02 Apr 2008, 05:39

Great New T-Mobile Smartphone!!!!!!

This phone is really great. I like that it is a slider. The soft-keys are really easy to get to, you don't have to press to hard on them. The selection wheel is really great too, I like that it double as a directional pad. I like the new QWERTY keyboard, two characters per button was really great. I like this new feature called XT9 for your texting. The software is really great on this phone. WM 6 works really well on this phone. Like how the new NEO interface is put together. Now people complain about how this phone doesn't have a touch-screen, but you have a selection wheel that doubles as directional pad, you can't get anymore control than that.

Armani
posted on 27 Mar 2008, 16:38

Excellent phone

I LOVE THIS TMOBILE SHADOW ITS GREAT THE WI FI IS GREAT EVERYTHING IS GREAT THE FATURES ARE ABOSLOLUTLEY AWSOME ONLY THING I WISH IS THAT IT COULD BE TOUCH SCREEN OTHER THEN THAT ONE OF THE BEST PHONES OUT IN AMERICA RIGHT NOW

Herbal
posted on 22 Jan 2008, 12:58

Shadow Review

I've had my Tmobile Shadow for about 2 months now and would like to relay my experiance with this phone. First i think for the most part the design of this phone is pretty good, nice and small. the keyboard give good tactile feedback..the keys feel very nice and you dont hit the wrong keys without knowing. The only gripes i have about the design of the phone is that the top navigation buttons are small and too close to the home and back keys which lead to accidently hitting the home key quite a bit. also the camera key is very small and hard to hit and the cover for the mini usb is hard to get off aswell as getting off the cover for the sd card. but overall its a very good phone especially at the $150 pricepoint (with contract) you can do ALOT with wm6 and having 128mb of ram is very nice for the price. the only things its missing are GPS and 3G but for $150 can comlain about it too much, all in all i think this is the best phone that tmobile usa has out right now and wouldent hesitate to get it

lydia
posted on 12 Jan 2008, 19:57

Love it/hate it

I really loved the look of the phone. But the battery life is horrible and I mean bad..Don't buy this phone if you plan on using it alot. Also when I'm talking to people on the phone it is not loud. I tried two of them to see if it was just the phone..No difference

trevor
posted on 06 Dec 2007, 20:54

fantastic phone

i use to have a sprint centro, and i hated it. Quit sprint and got back with t-mobile(the best wireless there is) i got the shadow and i love it!!! it does everything the 600 dollar phones do for 150 bucks. windows mobile 6 is fantastic. and all together HTC makes the best there is in my opinion. and the camera is the best i have ever used. i say for the price and for what it does its a 10!!!! oh yea and the wi-fi is great

alex
posted on 08 Nov 2007, 16:26

i love it it better then the side kick but a lot smaller