HTC EVO Shift 4G User Reviews

Everyday usage9.5/10
UI speed7.9/10
Camera8.1/10

wildbillbfc
posted on 18 Nov 2012, 16:03 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Nov 2012)

Regret Buying It More And More Everyday

wildbillbfc has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

My girlfriend and I have both had this phone since April 2011, I've been regretting buying them since about May 2011. The screen is absolutely not scratch resistant, my girlfriend is rough on phones but this is by far the easiest to destroy we've ever had. She scratched her screen left and right, then shattered it when it fell of the bedside table onto the CARPET! The picture quality is below average even on full hd streaming video, the reception is mediocre. The internet is quite possibly the worst out of every phone I've ever had, its terribly slow on 3G, 4G, and WIFI. The UI is the worst definitely, I've had to resort to GoLauncher, because the HTC Sense launcher has to reload every time you go to the home screen and its extremely basic. I am a heavy user of every aspect of my phone, I only use a computer to when I absolutely can't use my phone to do something, and i have never had battery life anywhere near the ones reported in the specs. If i leave my phone untouched for 24 hours it will be dead in 12 or less, and i am very avid about proper battery preservation! The display is small especially being released in an era of big screened phones. All in all, I would never ever buy this again, i would buy a trackphone before I would ever buy another HTC, if you are looking for something just to text your friends 24/7 by all means this is the phone for you, but if you use your phone in any part of your daily life, STAY AWAY

Build quality 1/10 Phone is heavy and has very low quality parts (i.e. camera, screen, etc). Will not handle scratches and drops well at all.
Reception 1/10 Very poor reception, worse then other phones we have on same service!
Call quality 1/10 Quality of radios installed in the phone is very low.
Internet 1/10 Worst mobile internet I've ever used, regardless of 3G, 4G, or WIFI!
Multimedia 1/10 Pre-installed apps for multimedia are impossible to cope with, aftermarket apps are necessary!
Camera 1/10 EVO has 8mp camera! Shift has 5mp! Enough said!
UI speed 1/10 UI is absolutely the worst interface I have ever experienced! Dislike launcher, app drawer setup. The list goes on!
Everyday usage 10/10 If you only plan to use this phone for extremely simple tasks, you will be more than happy with it. I on the other hand expect much, much more out of my phone!
Text input 1/10 the on-screen keyboard is worthless, almost completely impossible to use, the qwerty is mediocre but usage is manageable.
Display 1/10 every aspect of this phones display is an underachievement, it's essentially unusable!
Battery 1/10 Battery has been worthless from day one, even with a user that is insistent on battery preservation.

Pros

• QWERTY
  • Messaging

Cons

• Screen size
  • OS
  • touch input
  • Internet
  • the list really goes on and on!

sunfire2001c
posted on 04 Feb 2012, 00:27 (Posts: 0; Member since: 03 Feb 2012)

I love this phone.

sunfire2001c has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I upgraded from a Blackberry so I'm sure that's one of the reasons I love this phone. I wish I would have gone with a different service provider. This phone is speedy and I am surprised at the life of the battery considering what I do with this phone.

Build quality 7/10 Volume buttons seem flimsy and the earphone jack doesn't seat well. Otherwise I like the feel.
Reception 7/10 I am getting a little better reception than the Blackberry I had. I believe it would be better on another provider.
Call quality 8/10 Sounds good to me.
Internet 8/10 Works great on wifi.
UI speed 9/10 very quick.
Everyday usage 9/10 Very nice to use every day.
Text input 10/10 Wonderful. I thought I would need the slide out keyboard but I rarely use it.
Display 9/10 Nice and bright.
Battery 7/10 Not too bad but I can't get it to last all day.

Pros

• Just the right size.

Cons

• voice command activates by accident
  • google search activates by accident

ryujuku
posted on 15 Jan 2012, 21:29 (Posts: 0; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)

HTC Evo Shift 4G is the best phone I've owned so far

ryujuku has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone is 10x better than the Samsung Intercept I've had from Virgin Mobile & that phone sucks completely. I'm glad I have this phone. The text input is pretty amazing, bright screen unlike the Intercept & a better display. Very responsive which is also a plus. It takes pretty good pictures.

Pros

• Pretty much everything

merdoc
posted on 11 Sep 2011, 23:54 (Posts: 4; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)

love this phone

merdoc has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

ive had this phone for bout two months i have had some issues with the battery but sprint swapped it for a new one free of charge and aint had an issue since i am having issues with the sense ui it pops up the white htc loading screen and ive read online its the sense and gingerbread intergration or somethin im hopin they push a ota to fix it when i first got the phone i was having issues with the keyboard as u type it would jump all the way to the top of the thread it was annoying and they pushed a ota to fix it well now its the onscreen keyboard doin the same thing its a great phone i love it its small fast and it is nice if htc will fix the sense issue and the onscreen keyboard issue it would be an awesome phone

Build quality 9/10 its a pretty hefty phone but not flimsy was worried bout the keyboard breaking but it hasnt i dropped kicked it out of my car and it didnt break
Reception 9/10 i give it a nine cause i get bad reception in my building but outside its wonderful
Call quality 10/10 excelent call quality
Internet 10/10 really fast i use wifi in my building cause poor signal but outside using the network its fast and i am not in 4g so cant use that yet
Camera 9/10 great photos
UI speed 7/10 sense issue annoying they need fix it
Text input 7/10 i would give it a 10 if they fix the onscreen issue im having
Display 10/10 great display
Battery 8/10 had a bad battery with the phone but they replaced it now its sufficient

Pros

• screen size
  • speed of phone
  • camera flash
  • sturdy phone

Cons

• sense ui loading
  • keyboard issues
  • battery if u get a bad battery

chuc16
posted on 25 Aug 2011, 18:15 (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Aug 2011)

Hasent cought fire yet

chuc16 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The phone does most of what i would like it to do, and i can work around the rest. I dont use the keyboard as much as i thought i would. I like the design, a little stubby. I like the look of the new software, can get a little laggy if you dont keep an eye on your app downloading and internet cache.

Pros

• does its job
  • battery can last two days if I dont use it very much

Cons

• no netflix app... yet
  • had to reset it to delete something that i accedentally downloaded from one of those add banners. was really messing with my system

Tricia H
posted on 24 May 2011, 16:47

GREAT battery, GREAT everything!

Tricia H has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I sold my Samsung Epic 4G for this phone, and am 100% impressed! This phone is amazingly smooth, very fast loading apps, and the slide out keyboard NEVER lags the screen upon opening. With my Samsung I used to have to wait for the phone to recognize I opened the slider, this phone is instant! The battery lasts 24 hours if I use the phone constantly to play games and use apps. If I hardly use it it will last a day and a half or more. BEST PHONE I've bought yet!

Build quality 10/10 feels sturdy
Call quality 10/10 never drops calls!
Internet 10/10 extremely fast on 3G
Multimedia 10/10 love how it organizes photos and videos
Camera 10/10 takes very clear pics
UI speed 10/10 NO LAG at all!
Everyday usage 10/10 Everything anyone would need from a phone

• never drops calls
  • smooth screen scroll
  • crystal clear camera
  • 3G seems as fast as wi-fi

Cons

• no front camera

c.gilberto65
posted on 09 May 2011, 15:35 (Posts: 0; Member since: 09 May 2011)

a bit slow

c.gilberto65 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

i had this phone for a while and i noticed that it feels kinda funny in your hand and also it seems to freeze very often. I think it was drawn up hastily and built even quicker, if they took there time it would have been a much better phone. I also thought that the battery life would be longer.

china boy 22222
posted on 30 Mar 2011, 17:23

Amazing

china boy 22222 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This phone is really good its fast its texting is my favorite same with its 5.0 mega pixel camera and i really like its big touch screen really good this is so far my favorite phone if this phone wasnt here with me on earth i wouldnt be alive thats how amazing it is