HTC EVO Design 4G User Reviews

Battery6.5/10
Display9.4/10
Text input9.3/10

2amber2
posted on 19 Jan 2014, 10:37 (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)

HTC design reiew

2amber2 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

When I first got the phone I loved it, but now that its been almost 2 years it drives me nuts, im sure part of it is because my contract ran out, but it just does wierd things like restart itself, not get text/calls sometimes, freeze, and wont let me type on occasion.

Reception 7/10 It may just be because I have sprint, but my recetion is awful at unlikely places. For example, when i go in target I have 0 bars.
Everyday usage 6/10 Half of the time when I snooze my alarm it doesnt go offa gain like it is supposed to, and to make it worse after that none of the alarms will go off so I have to reset them. It has mad me late tooooo many times.
Battery 7/10 Just dont use the GPS or turn on the phones enternet for to long and it can last all day.

Pros

• nice camera
  • clear display
  • good size, not huge and not small

Cons

• alarm issues

tx2ma
posted on 15 Sep 2012, 05:46 (Posts: 0; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)

Perfect form factor, but could use a bump up in specs

tx2ma has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Disclaimer: I had this phone for 6 months up till 2 months ago, but no longer own it.
So the EVO Deisgn... Despite some pitfalls, this is a great phone overall, especially for the price. If HTC just would have given it a dual core CPU, a better 8MP camera and a bit more internal memory, it would be perfect. That said, this phone performs adequately. With "fast boot up" disabled, the boot time is REALLY slow however. Once it's up and running, it keeps up with almost every input but it will occasionally have a heart attack and start sputtering like a 1978 Chevy Vega. The camera could use some help, in regards to taking clearer pictures. Definitely adequate, but not stellar. Now, the best feature of the EVO Deign is its perfect size. The bright, crisp 4" screen is great for every day use. I like how Sprint includes the HTC Hub app, where you can download additional ringtones, wallpapers, etc. all for free. (Note: Verizon does not include this on their HTC phones, so kudos to Sprint.) Like I said, I no longer have this phone, but for the price, it was a phenomenal value.

Build quality 10/10 Nice and solid. The aluminum / alloy (some sort of metal!) back cover, while slippery to the touch, is quite upscale for the price of the phone. Get a gel cover.
Internet 8/10 Stock browser is good, not great; 4G Wimax speeds acceptable but it ain't no LTE. :)
Camera 5/10 Frequent blurry photos.
UI speed 8/10 Occasionally a little lag when multitasking to the limit.
Everyday usage 10/10 A+ for great form factor, nice screen.
Text input 9/10 Typical HTC Sense keyboard.
Battery 6/10 Hard to make it through a 10 hour workday of moderate use without needing a charge infusion.

Pros

• Nice screen
  • Perfect sized smartphone
  • HTC Hub app

Cons

• Camera is eh
  • Battery life is eh

tx2ma alternatives:

dragon76
posted on 03 Aug 2012, 22:29 (Posts: 5; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)

Boost "where you at"

dragon76 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I pretty much have come full circle with the return to an HTC product and for the most part I like the build quality a lot better then other phones. I had a HTC Hero (sprint) and that phone was extremely tough and never had any real issues with it, even though I flashed every known custom rom.

Ok so couple asked me "why did I choose the Boost Mobile? and of all things the HTC Design 4G?" (since it is a wimax phone) I tell them that hey its prepaid, its cheap and sprints coverage in my area is 3G with speeds 10 times faster then Tmo's 2G.

I got the phone at a local Bestbuy and they even priced matched the 25% off deal the website is offering so I got the phone for 225.00 .... and at 55 a month it shouldnt be all that bad.

The phone itself has a beautiful screen, I think I lean more towards liking the S-LCD better then the amoled screens from the past couple phones I have had the pleasure to mess with (even though most didnt have service used them as wifi pmp's)

Well while I was at best buy I did a little test of 4G's (although some say neither is actually 4G technology) to start Tmo's 4G gave me a download speed of 3.238Mbps and upload of 481Kbps with full bars and Sprints wimax in the same location with two bars of service gave me 1.786Mbps download and 1.292Mbps up and this was on the outskirts of the city of Pittsburgh. The wimax results make me wish they could keep wimax around and expand its coverage area.

The battery life is one of the biggest areas of concern, I am...

Build quality 10/10 HTC phones are impressive
Reception 10/10 my home area 3G is very good no 4G real close (approx. 45 miles away)
UI speed 9/10 overall I find sense UI to be beautiful (but may be resource hog)
Display 10/10 I find myself more of a LCD fan and this one is top notch
Battery 7/10 ouch poor battery performance ...

Italia1012
posted on 19 Oct 2012, 16:37 (Posts: 5; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)

A phone that i dont reccomend

Italia1012 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

First of all, this phone was great for the first or second day i had it... but then, i noticed that the battery kept getting hot on the back, and there was a sync-spot on the back of the phone where you could press in, so it seemed like very cheap build quality, and also, the front of the screen was caving in on the sides... And i also heard at best buy that this phone's battery got so hot it exploded in someones hand... I was shocked and immediately returned it

Battery 2/10 Reports that this battery can get very hot and explode...

Pros

• Small Size

Cons

• Poor Battery Life
  • Battery overheats
  • Cheap build quality

Italia1012 alternatives:

Nardimus
posted on 15 Jun 2012, 21:53 (Posts: 0; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)

I like this phone but.....

Nardimus has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

There's a lot to love about this phone, though there are a lot of road blocks to falling in love with it. The 1.2 Ghz processor is adequate, but somehow feels sluggish while running some apps, even Temple Runner. The Display is amazing, and the media player is fantastic; but the battery doesn't last long enough to really enjoy it all. I wish it had more internal memory, as well, and I never have more than 200 MB of RAM (idk why). but somehow i don't think it ruins the experience. Lastly, it is loaded with bloatware, but that's nothing a good rooting can't fix.

Build quality 10/10 This phone is so sturdy, I love the metals, and the glass; though having the screen protector and case helps. It's also great that the phone is thick enough to be comfortable, while being thin enough to be too girthy in a case.
Reception 9/10 This phone gets great services (as it relates to other boost phones, on the boost network. I live in Atlanta so service isn't an issue one way or another anyway.
Call quality 9/10 Voices are crisp and clear.
Multimedia 10/10 Listening to music on this phone ROCKS! it comes with SRS Wow effects in the media player, and a slew of other audio enhancements. The video/music app UIs are also beautiful and easy to use.
Camera 7/10 It's good but you may need to tweak some settings to get the most out of it!
UI speed 9/10 No hiccups around the homepages and menu transitions and such, but that's about it! most games run fine, other's glitch (even though that isn't a UI issue).
Everyday usage 7/10 it's a fine phone to Use everyday if you don't mind carrying an extra battery, charger, external battery, or staying close to outlets. Also great if you don't plan on playing games, or touching the screen much.
Text input 7/10 The Screen is big, but the stock keyboard wasn't appealing to me, i downloaded the ICS keyboard, and find the text input to be a better experience.
Display 10/10 Beautiful Display, but it murders the battery, ruthlessly.
Battery 5/10 I wouldn't say it's worse than any other smartphone with a 4'' display, that came out around the same time this one did; but the battery sucks! However, it does charge really really Quickly.

• It's a world Phone
  • UI and OS

Contreramanjaro
posted on 14 Apr 2012, 20:56 (Posts: 153; Member since: 04 Dec 2011)

A Great Budget Evo

Contreramanjaro has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I got it for $1 at Best Buy Mobile and it performs just as well in everyday use as the high end phones. The only place I see lag is with lots of flash on web pages or high bit rate h.264 or .mkv videos, all reasonable videos for the screen size work fine. The battery lasts my entire day but needs charging when I get home. This is with data always on and automatic uploads to Dropbox and updates from Play Store.

Build quality 9/10 The power button is not as solid as I'd like.
Reception 10/10 Great reception, rarely a problem.
Call quality 10/10 Great. I use Google Voice too.
Internet 9/10 Flash elements sometimes load slowly on the browser. Data connection has died twice requiring a restart.
Multimedia 10/10 Plays video and music with no problem. I love the Sense music player. Videos stream with no problems unless it is peak times.
Camera 10/10 A lot better than I expected from this. Only 5MP but the quality is quite good. 720p video records only at 20fps however. Hoping that is improved with ICS.
UI speed 10/10 Responsive. You can feel that it is a single core under heavy load but it never hangs.
Everyday usage 9/10 Something about the form factor makes it hard to pull out in a hurry. The camera bump on the back makes it less than desirable for desktop use.
Text input 10/10 Good response with and without Swype. The big screen and small bezel can lead to some discomfort though.
Display 10/10 Looks great even at automatic brightness levels. A superLCD
Battery 8/10 Alas, I wish it lasted longer. I get a full day but only just.

RoTheChamp
posted on 28 Jan 2012, 15:35 (Posts: 16; Member since: 26 Jan 2012)

Another Solid HTC Handset

RoTheChamp has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Been with sprint for 10 years and this is one of the better handsets that i have owned. My third android device and by far it is the best one I have had. The screen is high quality for a 4 inch display, 4G speeds, and for a single core device there are no complaints with the speed at all. For those that like the world phone aspect then i would highly recommend this device for you. Plus with ICS on the way, looks like the device may get better.

Reception 9/10 Even though there are holes in the network, I always have service with the phone.
Internet 9/10 Awesome on wifi, 3G could be better. I do not live in a 4G area so I can not speak for that.
UI speed 8/10 Sense 3.0, anticipating the ICS update that has been promised. Will modify rating when that happens.
Text input 10/10 HTC Sense keyboard and swype as a back up...can't complain about that.
Display 9/10 Love the HD display!
Battery 9/10 You get a good day out of the battery with average usage but if you are always one your phone it may be an issue. Get Juice Defender to change settings.

Pros

• 4G device
  • HTC build quality
  • ICS promised

Cons

• Battery life could be better

MYTHiKAL
posted on 22 Dec 2011, 17:07 (Posts: 33; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)

PRETTY GOOD PHONE..

MYTHiKAL has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I have phone service with Sprint as well and this was one of the phones we recently got.. Overall, the phone is solid.. The screen is not as big and vivid like am already used to, but it did its job well..

Reception 9/10 The pnone it self is awesome, the problem is that Sprint has too many holes in their network affecting the overall reception experience..
Internet 7/10 on wi-fi the internet is awesome.. but on the normal network, you will learn to hate specially when you compare to any other network..
Battery 8/10 this only cause of the network signal issues.. other then that, as long as there is plenty of signal, this phone's battery last long enough on average usage..

MYTHiKAL alternatives: