HTC EVO 4G User Reviews

Everyday usage9.1/10
UI speed9.2/10
Camera9.3/10

T0501st
posted on 25 Apr 2012, 20:49 (Posts: 0; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)

HTC Evo 4g Review

T0501st has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

At first I had a Samsang: Rant, which wasn't the best phone for internet browsing. Once I got the HTC Evo 4g, I can go on almost any website. The Google Play store is vast with movies, apps, and music to download. This phone is one of the most well built phones I have had in a real long time.

Internet 10/10 Allows many Java script and most importantly it has Flash Player

Pros

• Great Screen Resolution
  • 8.0 MegaPixels Camera
  • Great Internet

• Reception isn't the best

KraMsti
posted on 22 Nov 2011, 11:26 (Posts: 0; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)

OK phone, better out there now

KraMsti has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I used this device for under a week as a test device and was mainly distracted by how poor the battery life is, even with an extended life attached. Today's smart phone users don't just use their phone to call. They play, work, and live on their cell. Thus, if one is constantly charging and paranoid about battery, don't buy this device. Your experiences won't get better. HTC is a great company (better than Samsung & Motorola). Try a different device that runs the same Android OS.

hltechie
posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:38 (Posts: 85; Member since: 08 May 2009)

"Almost" completely perfect

hltechie has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Don't take my title the wrong way, this is by far one of the best phones I have ever owned. Over all I would give it a 100% rating however there were somethings that were not perfect. For example, it has a Micro HDMI port for HD TV, yea when I tried that my phone crashed and my TV glitched out. So I read up and found that this port only works on "certain" TVs. Other than that the only reason I no longer have this phone is I got my corporate work emails delayed on occasion (as in 3 days late) and I really couldn't have that for my job. Battery life could have been better but hey, it's a 4G high battery consuming phone so it's expected So over all that was the only bad things I ever really ran into. This phone really has limitless potential in what it can do. There are so many more things this phone can truly do, I'm really just listing the things that I found were problematic. If you are looking for a good solid Andriod phone on Sprint, I'd say this is the way to go.

Multimedia 10/10 No internal memory for media, just Micro SD
Camera 10/10 Truly an amazing camera for a cell phone
UI speed 9/10 Slowed down over time
Battery 8/10 It's a 4G phone so unless you cut down on usage you can say goodbye to battery in a matter of hours

• Large screen
  • 4G data
  • WiFi hotspot
  • Fast over all proformance
  • Android

Cons

• HDMI out doesn't work as advertised
  • Microsoft exchange can be delayed

hltechie alternatives:

Nena891
posted on 27 Jul 2011, 21:14

HTC Evo Best Phone

Nena891 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've had this phone for a week and I must I have yet to encounter a problem with this phone. =). very staisfied, I have had Blackberry & iPhone in the past & I must say this phone has changed my mind about the way I think about Android. I'll admit Ive had my doubts about it at first. the battery life is iffy, but the last review stating to turn off the mobile network is very beneficial.

Build quality 8/10 Because it's a little too big.
Reception 10/10 I always seem to have full bars & 3g/4g in every area I am in
Call quality 10/10 no drop calls
Internet 10/10 fast never lags
Camera 9/10 very good, not but not what I expected for the 8 MP
Everyday usage 10/10 confient
Text input 10/10 fast, doesn't lag
Battery 7/10 Better now, that I've learnned how to make it last longer.

• Software

Ouhirra
posted on 28 Jun 2011, 11:07

I love the phone

Ouhirra has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I've had the phone almost a year and have been very impressed with it! I like the idea of having a front-facing and a back camera. I have used it as a hot spot to connect my netbook to the internet to make a presentation to a small group. It has been wonderfu.

I recently cracked my screen and have called to order the EXACT phone. My only issue is the battery life, but I took it to the Sprint store and the salesman adjusted the settings and it last a little bit longer. I also puchased the extended battery, but the case that I purchased doesn't fit over that battery.

Overall, great phone!

Darrius
posted on 18 Jun 2011, 12:43

User since Day 1

Darrius has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Stood in line on the day it came out and was very impressed with the phone n then everything wen wrong. I've had such bad luck and several replacement phones but overall THE BEST PHONE IVE EVER OWNED. Yea it does have bugs and my biggest one was my phone goin straight to speakerphone after answering. I've had this problem with several of them, it has even happened to me after getting replacement phone from store and making test call with a rep right there and still had the same problem. Be just gotten a new one and a whole year later I'm 75% satisfied with it. The other 25% is because of long awaited updates. We didn't get the full gingerbread update as of June -15 just some random things they called aa update.

Pros

• very good phone keeps having to buy oyher gadgets

Cons

• Battery life and OTA updates

Jamice Welbon
posted on 18 Mar 2011, 11:37

Get rid of Touch Wiz and the UI is pretty good.

Jamice Welbon has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I rooted my phone and put the midnight rom on it. The battery life on this phone is about average. The camera is very good and is better than the EVO in my opinion and I little bit inferior to the iphone. I believe this phone is better than the iphone because you don't have to deal with the i-tune crap. I just copy and paste my music and video on to my sdcard. There are programs where you can download music directally to the phone. Overall a great phone for the price. I would highly recommend it as of this date. 03/18/2011

lewis
posted on 23 Jan 2011, 14:12

htc evo best!!!!!!!!!!

lewis has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

i think that the evo is the best phone out now, but with all phones u r going to have bugs. just have to givie them time to get it right. the iphone 3g/4g both had bugs when they came out so givie it time. i love the evo i wish we had 4g in tallahassee but 3g is good still. i had the pre and boy big diff, u can not get me to buy a better cell than the evo. u can have the iphone i got the htc evo 4g from sprint.apps r good to

Pros

• best phone

Cons

• battery. but u can buy better.

fienix_jevon
posted on 18 Jan 2011, 11:13

this phone rocks my world

fienix_jevon has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

So i have a lot of sprint phones. Ive been with sprint since june of 2006 and always had really bad luck with their phone so every time a new one would come out ever 3 or so months i would buy it... I was super excited for the palm pre... but what a joke i hated that damn phone... then i switched to the hero and i had to replace that 4 or 5 times because the speaker kept going out on it and then when finally the evo came out that was it... I have had this phone since the first day it came out and it is freakin amazing... (- the battery sucks) i have only had to replace it once because i dropped it and the screen broke... the evo is hands down the best phone out there right now... i have actually had several friends after playing with my evo switch to sprint from att so they could have the evo... i also have the iphone 4 for a work phone and i effing hate it... my fav part of th evo would have to be the kick stand cause its great when were out to dinner and my twins are bein a little crazy all i have to do is pop on sponge bob onmy phone and its all good... but anyways i cant wait til they come out with the nxt version of the evo 4g... its will probably be 10x more amazing then it already is... O(o_o)O

Build quality 8/10 u hit the screen wrong n it shatters

Pros

• the 4g is awesome i live in downtown denver and it works great... I was in mexico city and actually got 4g there... it was awesome!!!!!!!
  • my 3 1/2 year old twin girls aveayah and enairez love it... they love the qik app so they can see grandma and grandpa.
  • i love the big screen it makes it so much easier to txt
  • this is by far the best phone out there... it kicks the iphone 4's butt!!!!

Cons

• calls drop when driving it can be a pain
  • battery sucks i had to buy an extra battery and charger..
  • u hit the screen wrong n it shatters

DigitalDrifter
posted on 11 Jan 2011, 19:28

Evo4tehW1N!

DigitalDrifter has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Quite simply the most versitile smartphone available in north america. From video calling in 3g/4g/wifi, to full flash support, to insane customability, the Evo wins hands down. Get android task manager and learn to use it if you cannot properly maintain your battery.

Pros

• Best smartphone on the market

Cons

• Honestly, just the battery. But with this many features and proper managment, its livable.

o.d
posted on 26 Dec 2010, 20:28

htc evo vs iphone 4

o.d has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

evo cost to much to have....like why do i have to pay $10 plus plan i have to pay.iphone you dont have to pay no $10. htc evo you download music apps. iphone you dont because it have itunes . . .

DRE22
posted on 25 Dec 2010, 22:57

LOVE MY EVO

DRE22 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I think the evo is the phone on the market so far. I loved my iphone but the evo is much better. Sprint is also a hell a lot of better than At&t which had an unlimited plan but now its ridiculous. Even though I don't have 4g service in my area but I don't mind paying the 10 extra until I get 4g in my area plus I get a company discount which makes it better lol. I'm running the cyanogenmod 6 rom on my evo and upgraded to a bigger battery which made it the evo bettter for daily use.

JaLester
posted on 21 Dec 2010, 19:12

After 6 months, still the best phone out there

JaLester has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

An HTC Evo running a stock 2.2 rom is a good phone, but running a custom rom after rooting the phone (jail breaking) makes it completely ridiculous. I do wish the battery life was slightly better, but I am still able to make it through the day without a charge, but just barely.

My phone is overclocked to 1192Mhz and I've dropped all of the crapware that sprint puts on the phone from the factory. I can play old school NES games using a wii controller through the upgraded bluetooth stack, and I currently pull 6mbps of 4g service where I live. Several of my music DVD's are loaded on to my 32GB micro sd card, and I can play all of them through the hdmi port on any new tv or projector. There is literally nothing any other phone can do that an EVO can't. The new winamp application has been the icing on the cake. In the past the android music app wasn't really very good, but with winamp, this is the best phone on the market.

You should have already purchased this phone...so quit reading and get it

Pros

Cons

• Battery sucks
  • People keep asking if its an iPhone

Big D
posted on 13 Dec 2010, 10:15

EVO critic

Big D has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I bought this phone back on launch day,and it was problemetic from the day i got it,til the day i dumped it for the iphone 4. It lagged it froze it over heated it shut off on its own etc.Its also just as a phone as it is a bad phone. Beautiful screen and great sive, ui is awesome too. The camera is the worst ive used on a high end device. the face that u cant record a video and send it mms if u go thru the camera icon instead of the messaing icon is horrible.look it up no file compression thru the camera icon/messaing icon only for file compression. the camera quality is putrid compared to the iphone and galaxy s. lets not even talk about the battery oh my god is it bad!!! the evo delivers and fails massively for an average at best phone,and tmobile hspa+ is faster. My best friend reminds me of this all the time by consistently beating it with his mytouch 4g.

Build quality 5/10 loose screen light leakage
UI speed 10/10 snappy
Everyday usage 5/10 im heavy into multimedia this phone isnt
Text input 6/10 feature packed yet very laggy keyboard
Display 10/10 4.3 and beautiful what more can i say
Battery 2/10 about as bad as can be bad bad bad. did i mention the batterys bad?

Pros

• screen size widgets pop up app drawer leap feature speed device is pretty

Cons

• camera software smoothness battery build quality batery battery battery

NEMI
posted on 10 Dec 2010, 09:13

I LIKE THIS PHONE!!!!!!!!

NEMI has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

iphone is maybee the best(for someones like me-not) but htc evo 4g is just behind it!!! i like this phone and i can say it's the best phone on the world,today!!! apple is strong company and so is it's iphone but htc is going to bee as good as well!!! (sorry for my not-so-great english : ) )

Pros

• CAMERA
  • DISPLAY
  • SPEED

Cons

• BATTERY
  • PHONE IS HEAVY
  • AND BIG

alex
posted on 07 Dec 2010, 21:05

WOW!

alex has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I picked up an EVO in August after a few weeks of looking around. I have been so impressed by this phone, that I will probably keep the life of the contract(an oddity for me). I have had only one minor problem... I can't keep my hands off it! ;) All jesting aside, I love this phone! :D

Pros

• Fast
  • Beautiful UI
  • Fast Updates

Joe
posted on 01 Dec 2010, 14:19

Awesome

Joe has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I upgraded from the Blackberry 8330. The BB froze WAY too much. The updates were a JOKE, as well as the App World. I saw NO difference in any updates, other than MORE freezing. The ONLY thing that Blackberry was superb in was it's battery life. Now, for the Android OS...I LOVE IT. I don't have to be stuck with the way the phone looks. I installed ADW Launcher and setup my phone the way I want it to look. No freezing, absolutely NO freezing. The default internet browser isn't too bad, but I took care of that with the Dophin HD browser which allows so many plugins that Blackberry internet browsers just simply will never be able to do. I have like 20 plugins for just the Dophin browser alone, and they WORK flawlessly. Updates are quite noticeable. Apps open fairly fast and run without lag or FREEZING. Oh, and talking about apps, ONE category in the Market BEATS the combine total of apps in the Blackberry App World. You just have got to love that. Whether it be the HTC Evo, or another Android operating phone, you can't go wrong. It IS a much better OS than Blackberry, and possibly Apple...look at what the Samsung Tab (Android OS) offers compared to what the iPad (Apple OS) doesn't. Android is taking over.

• Internet Layout
  • Speaker
  • USB Tethering (Free internet)
  • HDMI output
  • Kickstand
  • Screen responds to soft light touches
  • Enough room for apps
  • Supports a 32GB SD card

Cons

• Battery (can be replaced though)

Sam-I-Am
posted on 16 Oct 2010, 19:59 (Posts: 0; Member since: 16 Oct 2010)

Good, but Not Great

I switched over to the Evo 4G from an iPhone 4 and although my experience has been much better, this wireless phone is not without a few issues of its own.On the positive side call quality, reception, and speed are much improved over my iPhone 4.  Part of this is undoubtedly a function of Sprint's better coverage, but I suspect the phone's design is at least partially responsible as well.  I frankly expect will drive potential customers away.  Another good thing about being with Sprint is that even though you pay an extra $10 per month for data usage charges your data usage is unlimited..AT&T's is not, unless you are grandfathered in under one of their old data plans.  AT&T recently put a two tier plan in place for data usage that The display is crisp and great to look at but I have to say the iPhone 4's retina display has it beat.  The Android OS operating system, coupled with HTC's Sense system, makes this phone a standout.  I have heard many say it's not as intuitive or as easy to use as iPhone but I had no problem whatsoever adapting to mine.  The camera is quite good although I don't use mine all that much.  Many have complained about the size of this phone compared to the iPhone and I think those complaints are rather silly.  Yes, it is a bit larger than an iPhone but it still fits in my pocket and unlike the complaint in one other EVO review I can handle this phone quite easily with only one hand.  That...

Pros

• 4G capability (although in limited areas at present)
  • Android OS
  • Display Quality
  • HTC Sense
  • Can set up as wi-fi hotspot for up to 8 devices
  • Wireless tethering

Cons

• E-mail a little difficult to set up

PhillipJennings
posted on 14 Oct 2010, 17:27 (Posts: 0; Member since: 03 Sep 2010)

HTC EVO

i recently upgraded from a blackberry 8330. and they things i could do on the Blackberry i can do on the HTC evo and more. The most important is the Android Market, Blackberry app world is a joke and a waste of time. Andriod Market has over 70-80k of apps and all of them are soooo random. i love the full screen internet webpages and flash content on the not to mention a lot of other things check pro and con list

Pros

• Screen size
  • multitasking
  • Full internet browsing
  • 80k Apps 61% fee
  • MP3 Player
  • Customizable

Cons

• Not Global
  • Fuzzy Camera/ Camcorder
  • Battery life is some trash you need an application to have the phone live longer
  • Preloaded App's can not be uninstalled.

Jesse Wallace
posted on 13 Oct 2010, 22:18

Love it.

I have had my phone for several months now.As a freelance IT Consultant i need a phone that works well, a PDA that i can do Email on, a GPS device to keep me from getting lost, a 3G/4G connected wireless hot-spot, and occasionally a handheld gaming device to kill time while i wait on someone.This phone does ALL of that.Did i mention it splits atoms?   Well no, not really, but i hear they will soon have an app enabling it to do so....

Pros

• Amazing screen, awesome kickstand, PDF, Flash, etc..

Cons

• Battery life is weak before you Root it and uninstall crap-ware.

htc
posted on 09 Oct 2010, 06:47

wow

The good: The HTC Evo 4G delivered respectable 4G speeds, and the mobile hot-spot feature lets you connect up to eight devices. The smartphone has a front-facing camera for video chats and also comes with an 8-megapixel camera with HD-video-recording capabilities. The Evo ships with YouTube's HQ video player, Android 2.1 with HTC Sense, and an HDMI port. Other highlights include an extra-large 4.3-inch touch screen and a 1GHz Snapdragon processor.The bad: Sprint's 4G network is limited at this time, making the mandatory $10 premium data add-on tough to swallow for anyone outside of the coverage area. The Evo lacks support for Bluetooth voice-activated dialing. Battery drains quickly with 4G.
The bottom line: The HTC Evo 4G is easily Sprint's best smartphone and one of today's top Android devices. It also shows the promise of 4G, which will grow as Sprint's WiMax network expands, but until there's broader 4G coverage, it's hard to agree with the mandatory premium data add-on fee.

drew.sadik
posted on 05 Oct 2010, 17:04 (Posts: 5; Member since: 03 Oct 2010)

2.7

wish i had AT&T for the iPhone, but this phones okay

its okay. its a nice size and does feel good in the hands, so the design is alright. I like the big screen its nice. but it has frozen on me quite a bit, and it sometimes shuts off on its own. the menu button doesn't work all the time, and the front camera isn't good at all, although the back one is pretty nice. i wish it had more apps like the iPhone. the screen isn't quite as responsive as the iPhone either, but thats not too much of an issue, the resolution is nice but could be better. the freezing is really starting to get on my nerves now and i think i'm going to trade it in. all around, its alright

Dorothy from OZ
posted on 28 Sep 2010, 11:47

Out Ranks Competition

I think the newly shipped EVO's are showing up with some of the previous issues addressed.  Either the battery issue has been tweaked and/or information has come forth on how to properly edit your settings to give more life to your battery (providing you can live with the settings).  My previous EVO was power cycling, so on day 3 I returned it and had to wait for another  to ship.The EVO is a nice phone.  I think the resolution of the screen could have easily been crisper or a SUPER Amoled display.  The phone is a bit WIDE and because of that it is a challenge to use this phone with one hand.  I manage it with one hand, but occaisionally the second hand pops up to ensure I don't drop the big boy.    The call quality is nice, the music is great.  The camera; I need more practice, sometimes it takes great shots and other times the shots are not so great, so I have to figure this out.  Web surfing is nice, my EVO came preloaded with FROYO  and flash works well.  Keypad is responsive, it would be nice if SWYPE is made available, but until then I more than manage.  Sense has been improved, so I'm using a little more of it.  I'm OK with SENSE (but I do think it's a bit over done),  I prefer Launcher or ADW, but the UI is improved enough to where I don't think I will overlay the EVO with another UI as I did...

Pros

• call quality
  • speed, even on 3G
  • music player

Cons

• width
  • no swype
  • quality control with initial shipments
  • lack of knowlegeable sales staff on how to use such a device

Joelski144
posted on 22 Sep 2010, 22:29

Couldn't have asked for a better phone.

This is my first HTC and my first venture out of the comfort of "dumb" flip phones. All I can say is WOW! This phone has lived up to the reviews I've read when doing my research and has all the features I could possibly want, plus everything I didn't think to ask for. The performance has been stellar, even after learning my way around the market and loading up on all sorts of apps, both good and not-so-great, the phone is not noticably laggy. Picture quality following the 2.2 update is appropriate for an 8 megapixel camera; it's actually better than my dedicated digital cam! I love being able to speak to my phone and have it converted to text, saves on all that typing nonsense! :D

In summary, I can't say enough good about the Android operating system in general and the EVO in particular: this phone rocks at everything you do with it. Seriously, it's been 4 months since this beast was unleashed and nothing challenges it as a clear superior. You can't go wrong.

Pros

• Tremendous capability. HTC Sense UI is very intuitive and requires very little time spent with the instruction booklet. Positively HUGE screen makes for great viewing with friends. Be prepared to be the envy of your cell-geek friends. Google integration is priceless; navigation, scanning barcodes to get pricing and web links are but a few of the benefits.

Cons

• One very tiny ding on battery life. With all the capability of this device, it is somewhat forgivable, plus you can always turn off things you aren't using at the moment to get more up time.

paynekiller
posted on 08 Sep 2010, 09:45 (Posts: 139; Member since: 24 May 2010)

Best Phone I EVER owned

Wow! This phone just blows me away even today after owning it for 3 months, and the 2.2 update last month made this great phone pretty much perfect for me.At first the size was a turnoff since I was used to smaller phones the size of the Incredible, but after a while you learn to appreciate it and cant see yourself with something with a smaller scree. And HTC made excellent use of the real estate with very little black space around the screen borders and buttons, like there is no space at all that looks wasted.Since getting this phone it has eliminated my need to sometimes carry my laptop to places unsuitable for a device that large, like my bed. Now if I'm watching tv and see something I want to know more about on the internet the google search button is right there on the bottom corner of the phone. Not that other smart phones aren't capable of doing this but it has never been this simple and fast so I never used those phones as extensively as I use this. The other thing I consider important in my phone decision is timewasting applications, things to kill time if I have to sit and wait bored somewhere, which happens to me too often. For this the EVO offers me more than I have even found the time to get to. My only problem is with emulator games the touch screen buttons aren't feasible for some stuff, but I know you can connect your Wii controller to it so that can easily be sorted.I could go on and on about how much I love this phone, but I'll end it here on the note...

Pros

• Big screen
  • Front facing camera
  • Lots of useful apps for pretty much everything

Cons

• Big screen means bigger phone which may be a problem for some people
  • maybe battery life
  • It won't leave me alone (if you know what I mean)