x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
HTC EVO 3D Discussions
  • Options
    Close

Comparison

Phillyfan24 (unregistered) 13 Jun 2011, 13:36 posted on

Ok, after reading all these topics and discussion for the HTC Evo 3D and the Motorola Photon 4G, i've come to a complete halt - I don't know which one to get! I've read all the specs and perks that have been released on this site about each phone, but I just don't know which one to get!

Which phone do you guys think would be the better choice overall - the HTC Evo 3D or the Motorola Photon 4G?

posted on 14 Jun 2011, 05:25

1. andrewt12345534534 (unregistered)

pshhhh, no 3d...get the evo, and the evo has 1.2 ghz processor

posted on 18 Jun 2011, 10:24

2. Dungeness (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Jun 2011)

I have liked everything that I saw about the EVO 3d but then after all the looking the Photon 4G was announced and I am now leaning towards that. I feel that I don't really need a phone to do 3d.

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 08:27

3. Phillyfan24 (unregistered)

I feel that because the Evo 3D is the first of its kind (3D), there might be some bugs and what not. Plus, 3D effect isn't supposed to last forever, especially 3D phone. But I think i'm going with the Photon, as much as i'd love to get the 3D.

Once you get a new phone, doesn't Sprint allow you to have the carrier for 30 days before any return policy is demolished? Like, you can buy a phone and you have 30 days to return it to get all your money back and once you get your money back, you get your rebate/contract renewal back also?

posted on 24 Jul 2011, 17:40

4. kstagg (Posts: 7; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)

HTC is first in states with EVO3D (and I believe first phone with 3D - correct me if I'm wrong). Now LG is coming out with 3D phone and even Samsung is coming out with 3D phone. Looks like 3D is going to be out for quite awhile.

Do I use the 3D features very often? No. Especially since you can't forward the 3D pics/vids to non-EVO3D phones and expect them to see 3D. But HTC is working on changing that supposedly. What I do like is the snappy dual-core 1.2 GHz processor and extended battery life (I get on avg about 17 hours). Sense 3.0 is slick as well.

posted on 04 Aug 2011, 11:07

5. donnak82310 (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Aug 2011)

Hi, I had a photon and had to bring it back the next morning, too many issues with this phone. I would NOT recommended. Im debating to switch to Evo 3D, Nexus S 54g or Evo Shift 4g

posted on 12 Aug 2011, 16:27

6. MEEKAPOOH (unregistered)

THE PHOTON SEEMS TO BE BETTER IF YOU HAD THE EVO 4G BEFORE THE 3D IS JUST LIKE HAVING BUILT IN APPS FOR THE PHONE LIKE THE LOCK SCREEN. YOU CAN DOWN LOAD A LOCK SCREEN FOR THE EVO 4G AND THIS ONE IS BUILT IN LOVE THE THIN BODY BUT WHEN I SAT AND WAS THINKING ABOUT IT WHY WOULD I PAY 200.00 FOR THE 3D THAT I REALLY WOULDN'T USE AND THE ONLY REALLY NEW THING IS THE THIN BODY AND THE BUILT IN APPS BUT THE PHOTON IS REALLY NICE I THINK SHE'S A KEEPER FOR ME BY ME HAVING THE EVO BEFORE ITS LIKE A STEP UP FROM THERE WHICH IS FASTER

posted on 19 Aug 2011, 13:20

7. GoBruins (Posts: 2; Member since: 19 Aug 2011)

Stay away from HTC. Read the Sprint blogs. The EVO 3D is plagued with problems and some that can NOT be fixed, like the speaker system...design flaw. After 30 days of Hell with the EVO 3D, I now have the Photon and at least the phone performs as expected.

See my reviews on both phones for more info.

posted on 09 Sep 2011, 11:07

8. Eric (unregistered)

My brother, sister-in-law, and myself all bought an EVO 3D around the same time. My wife has a Photon. I think both are excellent phones.

The EVO 3D

I, like most people, think the 3D part of the phone is kind of gimmicky, but don't let that turn you off from the phone. It's still a very fast phone, very stable, and comes with the Sense UI, which I find to be better than the stock Android UI and much better than other customized UIs. Of the three of us, none of us have had any problems with our phones.

My EVO 3D is not rooted, and I pulled a 1900ish Quadrant score on my stock phone with a slew of apps loaded and running. While 1900 isn't what some of the very newest phones are doing, Quadrant doesn't take advantage of the dual core processor in the tests, and certainly shouldn't be viewed as the end-all, be-all benchmark for these phones. My brother's rooted and overclocked 3D scored just above the 2000 mark. I should point out that regardless of the score it produces in Quadrant, this phone feels extremely fast with everything I do. There is no noticeable lag on anything - typing, surfing, screen scaling, in apps, etc.

I only have two real gripes, and one is that there are a couple of apps I can't remove without rooting the phone. I don't think they're causing issues with anything, but I want things the way I want them, and if I want to remove an app that isn't germane to the functionality of the OS, I think I should be able to. Not a huge deal, but it irritates me the way that not being able to skip previews on a DVD irritates me. The second gripe is that the 3D didn't come with a kickstand like the original EVO had. I'm not sure what the reasoning with this was.

The Photon

The Photon has a nice look and feel to it. I think the screen looks really nice. I think it has a better contrast level than the EVO 3D, and while it doesn't have a screen as nice as the Super AMOLED, I think it's a little sharper and slightly more vibrant than the EVO 3D.

The UI isn't as nice as the Sense UI in my opinion. I believe it uses the Motorola Blur UI, but it looks and feels a lot like stock Android. It benchmarks better in Quadrant than does my stock EVO 3D, coming in at over 2200. Despite that, it doesn't seem any faster operationally. They both seem fast and lag free. The Photon does have a kickstand, which the 3D does not.

The first day of usage my wife went from a full battery charge to less than 20% in under a few hours, having only sent a few texts. I have no idea why this happened, but since then, it seems to have leveled out and she can make it through the entire day using about half the battery life. She doesn't obsess over the phone and spend every waking minute on it like a lot of people do today. I think that if she did, she would find it pretty much drained after a day's usage. I'd say that the EVO 3D probably has better overall battery life with the stock battery.

HTH

posted on 28 Sep 2011, 18:29

9. Twizzle (unregistered)

Evolution 3D sure as hell does not have better battery life than evo

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories