HTC Amaze 4G User Reviews

Battery6.4/10
Reception8.6/10
Display9.6/10

anastanvir
posted on 28 Apr 2014, 23:41 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)

This phone won't disappoint you

anastanvir has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I've owned this phone since 1.5 years and it hasn't ever disappointed me, except at some instances I've covered below. Overall, it's a good phone for simple users, who are not looking for a phone for hard gaming, for heavy web browsing or that can carry a lot of apps simultaneously. The battery will kill your joy otherwise.

Build quality 8/10 This phone feels solid when you hold it. And heavy. The combination of silver and black colours suits the design. And the matte finish makes the phone looks classy. However, since the material is plastic, it is prone to damage and scratches. Also, the lock physical button is situated on the top. It often gets pressed in my pocket. It should have been on the side, like the Samsung devices.
Reception 6/10 Reception is okayish. I don't get the coverage on the ground floor of my house. My Nokia E5 has network coverage on the ground floor for the same carrier.
Call quality 9/10 Call quality was excellent until recently when my microphone broke down.
Internet 9/10 I don't like the interface of the browser. I use UC browser. But the reception of wifi is good. I extended the wifi antenna using aluminium foil.
Multimedia 9/10 The sound quality is better than a lot of other HTC devices. But it lacks Beats Audio.
Camera 9/10 Camera quality is excellent. It doesn't mess up the levels of the picture. However, when shooting in the dark, it doesn't focus with a preflash like some Samsung devices do.
UI speed 8/10 UI speed is okay. The messaging and people apps get slow after a few months. Then it requires a reset.
Everyday usage 9/10 This phone lacks nothing for everyday usage. Except the app associations feature doesn't work well. Map addresses do not launch Google Maps or Sygic, Play Store addresses do not launch Play Store app and YouTube links do not launch the YouTube app. This works really well on Samsung devices. The alarm, call history and dialler are great!
Text input 8/10 The default keyboard is fast. But I use Swiftkey for better predictions.
Display 9/10 The colours, the resolution and the viewing angles are all excellent.
Battery 4/10 Battery is super bad. It drains from full to empty within 6 hours when wifi or Edge is on.

Pros

• Screen resolution
  • Dual LED flash
  • SD card extension slot
  • Lots of RAM
  • NFC
  • Easy to root

Cons

• Cell reception
  • Weight
  • Does not update to Jelly Bean
  • Does not support USB OTG
  • Does not have multiple gestures support like Galaxy S3
  • Default launcher eats a lot of RAM, Apex launcher preferred
  • GPU isn't as great as that of iPhone 4

aniallation
posted on 16 Aug 2013, 22:12 (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)

Good phone for the price

aniallation has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Great phone for the two years I've had it. Runs great and really smooth. Camera takes amazing quality pictures, screen is nice and clear even though it's not 720p. Same internal components as Sensation XE and One S however I think it's the best out of the 3. Build quality is very good, black+silver model looks really nice, and battery is removable, which is good for spares because the battery life happens to be terrible. However the only bad thing about this phone. Could have asked for Beats Audio like its two brother phones but not worth ranting about.

Build quality 10/10 Metal construction feels like a round brick, but acts like a round brick which makes it really comfortable to hold. Doesn't feel like cheap plastic Samsung or a kid's toy
Reception 7/10 Not the best signal quality in the world which HTC is known for. No signal at all (cellular, WiFi, Bluetooth, anything) if the back cover is removed as antennas are built into the back cover.
Internet 7/10 Stock HTC browser is slower then AOSP, no native flash support unlike AOSP browser
Multimedia 7/10 Stock music app is okay. No equalizer, no Beats Audio.
Camera 10/10 Pics from camera are amazing and HD videos look just as good (videos are not taken in HD by default so make sure to set it to 720p for best results, 1080p has lower framerates and looks a bit choppy for fast movements). Dual flash is a great addition
UI speed 7/10 Sense on gingerbread is painfully slow. Ice Cream Sandwich update really speeds things up, however use one of the many available ROMs and you'll notice a HUGE improvement. HTC stock software just doesn't work well.
Everyday usage 8/10 Gets the job done. It is an Android after all. Feels nice to carry around all day. Round design fits in the hand well and doesn't bulge in your pocket
Text input 8/10 Nice keyboard with lots of options and good autocorrection
Display 7/10 Looks really nice and clear even though qHD. Would have liked a 720p panel like the one on Rezound
Battery 4/10 Awful battery life. Can get about 3 hours of talk time out of a full battery. About 4 hours of 720p video playback or about 2 hours playing 3D games like GTA and Real Racing 3. Charging then takes quite longer then other phones

Pros

• Comfortable design
  • Colors on display look really nice
  • Internal speaker, not the loudest, but really good quality sound
  • NFC
  • MHL compatible for HDMI output
  • Removable battery
  • MicroSD card slot, works with 64GB cards
  • 4G connectivity
  • Dedicated camcorder button on side

Cons

• Capacitive button lights bleed onto screen badly
  • No USB OTG support
  • Tight, recessed headphone jack
  • Slow factory software

aniallation alternatives:

jimhova
posted on 05 Nov 2012, 19:44 (Posts: 0; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)

HTC Amaze 4G is pretty sweet.

jimhova has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

The only con is the ugly back, battery life, and thickness. The case design seems over complicated, and seems to make a tiny amount of noise because of it and the phone not being 100% tight all the way around. Other then that top notch. Android > iphone,
HTC > Samsung.

Battery 8/10 Dies after about 6 solid hours of internet/game use.

Pros

• Awesome

Cons

• dead pixel

illestasian
posted on 17 Jul 2012, 16:16 (Posts: 0; Member since: 17 Jul 2012)

HTC Amaze 4G Review

illestasian has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The phone is amazing. It's fast thanks to it's Snapdragon Dualcore 1.5 GHZ processor. When on T-Mobile's 4G network, it loads webpages extremely fast and has no problem playing videos or playing games. Like other owners have said ,the only downside is it's battery. Other than that, the pros HEAVILY outweigh the single con.

Build quality 10/10 Very sturdy, Great build, no cheap materials.
Reception 9/10 Great reception, I was a floor under OHSU and my phone still received 2 bars.
Call quality 9/10 Great quality. I can hear others clearly.
Internet 10/10 Super speedy. Even alone on T-Mobile's 4G network plan, this phone loads webpages EXTREMELY quick. Speeds are almost as fast as it on WIFI.
Multimedia 9/10 Multimedia is great. I can hold up to 15 albums until the RAM starts to down. It can hold all your music albums easily. If you are an audiophile like me, you might want to consider purchasing a MicroSD card.
Camera 10/10 Very good camera. At an amazing 8MP camera, I can take pictures very clearly.
Everyday usage 10/10 I use my HTC Amaze 4G everyday. I text, surf the web, and go on social sites all the time and it keeps up no problem.
Text input 10/10 I had an iPhone 3GS and I loved its keyboard. I was a little skeptical at first when purchasing the phone, because I would have to adapt to the new keyboard. When I started up the phone and texted. I was impressed how the screen easily read all my movements.
Display 10/10 With it's screen, it was very bright and clear. No sort of bugs or glitches. Screen display videos at 1080p very nicely.
Battery 8/10 Like other Amaze 4G owners, the battery isn't amazing, but it gets the job done provided you aren't playing a game all day. I only wish there was an extended battery I could purchase.

Pros

• Display screen.
  • Multimedia
  • Snapdragon 1.5 GHZ Dual Core Processor
  • Impressive 2 MP Front Camera
  • 8MP Rear Camera
  • Network speeds
  • Blazing fast download and upload speeds
  • Lots of RAM

taylorstadel
posted on 12 Jul 2012, 13:13 (Posts: 0; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)

AMAZE...ING

taylorstadel has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I HAVE HAD THIS PHONE FOR A LITTLE UNDER A YEAR NOW AND ITS STILL AMAZING!! I LOVE THIS PHONE!! THE CAMERA ON THE PHONE IS JUST AWESOME! I LOVE IT!! THE FLASH AFTER A LITTLE WHILE DIMS JUST A LITTLE BIT...BUT I HAVE USED THE FLASH SINCE DAY 1!! THE TOUCHSCREEN IS THE BEST!! THE SCREEN IS ACTUALLY SCRATCH RESISTANT! I HAVE HAD MY LITTLE 5 YEAR OLD BROTHER PLAYING ANGRY BIRDS ON THE PHONE AND HE HAS DROPPED IT SO MANY TIMES...IDK HOW ITS NOT BROKEN YET! HE DOESNT PLAY ON IT ANYMORE BECAUSE I WONT LET HIM NOW..BUT STILL!! THIS PHONE IS SUPER FAST!! I ADORE IT! THE BATTERY IS NOT TO DIE FOR BUT IT IS PRETTY GOOD!! I LOVE IT AND YOU SHOULD GET IT!! THIS PHONE IS GODS GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE ITTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​​​!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Build quality 10/10 I HAVE DROPPED IT AND IT HAS NEVER GOTTEN BROKE OR SCRATCHED!!
Reception 9/10 ITS JUST WHERE I LIVE (OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE) ITS THE BEST!!
Call quality 10/10 I HEAR EVERYTHING GOING ON, ON THE OTHER LINE!! AWESOME!!
Internet 10/10 SUPER FAST!!
Multimedia 9/10 MUSIC PLAYER IS DA BOMB!!!!!!!
Camera 10/10 THE CAMERA IS STUNNING!! LOVE IT!
UI speed 10/10 FAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSTTT!!!
Everyday usage 10/10 IT IS A GREAT PHONE!
Text input 10/10 I LOVE THE KEYBOARD!
Display 10/10 BEAUTIFUL, STUNNING, AND GORGOUS!
Battery 5/10 OK..

Pros

• touchscreen
  • sound
  • cameras
  • flashes
  • stunning!
  • reception
  • keyboard
  • internet
  • 4.3 touchscreen

Cons

• batttery(is ok!! but not the best!)

jmart922
posted on 16 May 2012, 16:38 (Posts: 0; Member since: 16 May 2012)

Still the best overall phone on Tmo

jmart922 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone has more features most phones don't, I have the white version and.this phone is superb on all ends, the battery isn't the best but its better than my old sensation, so its still good for a day use with moderate usage

aoakes1
posted on 29 Feb 2012, 11:19 (Posts: 0; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)

One of the very best, by HTC!

aoakes1 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The phone is worth every cent of the retail value, and its sad to see how many don't see the value to the most modern HTC devices to date. Most companies like Samsung use light and cheap plastic, and those phones get raving reviews until the phones get dropped from less than 3 feet and the chassis doesn't hold up to the flex causing the screen to crack and splinter into millions of spider cracks. HTC made some trade offs of course, but its practicably necessary for every day use. I will explain why below

First, as a manufacturer where do you draw the line on of the phone screen where the screen is too big to be considered a phone but rather a tablet. It's crazy to see how many consumers are using these 5 inch bricks and holding the cellphone to the side of their head. HTC made a great call at 4.3 inch screen following the sucess of the HD2 and incorporating into the latest models.

The materials are not sub par nor cheaply constructed. I have to admire the latest engineering of the volume and antenna placement to the back plate. Truly a premium built phone to last a lifetime. Nothing was left out of the phone or limited to a price tag, HTC went all out on this model. If anyone picked up the phone the most they would say is, this phone is heavy. Again HTC had to balance out of the options, I'd rather have a slightly heavier phone than a cheaply built smartphone. Feel ensure that this device can take a little bit of abuse, but to keep the appearance new please invest in a screen...

Pros

• Beautiful screen resolution
  • very speedy performance
  • flawless internet experience
  • best materials used
  • Most advanced camera in smartphone
  • UI sense easy to use and customize
  • 1730 whr battery, longer life on android OS

Cons

• cost 249 2 yr contract, or retail 599
  • a tad on bundle in size, but great trade for screen size 4.3

steveolaw
posted on 27 Feb 2012, 14:46 (Posts: 0; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)

Great phone with some problems...

steveolaw has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Let's get this straight. As computer-like smart phones go, this one does a lot. And, the camera is nice. I frequently blind people with the flash. It does the big things well.

But let's talk about the little things. I have stepped "up" from the 3g slide. I kept it in the HTC family for the sense ui. But unlike the 3g, they made the Amaze harder to use. For example, on the 3gslide, there was a simple toggle to turn on wifi calling. easy peezy. But on the amaze, it is a 6? step process of changing settings. Why?!? Also with Gmail, the widgets do not hold the number of unread emails if you open the app, even if no messages were read. (although I hear that is google's fault). It does not come with swype, but another swype-like keyboard which is less intuitive and functional. There are some other minor complexities as well.

Now, the real deal is the battery. I have turned off auto sync, background data, and set it to 2g only and I can still only get 3 hours of use. I had to complain to T-Mobile and have them send me a second battery. Maybe mine was not made well, but dang, that is way to short. Now, I will have to keep switching every day to make sure it stays joiced. I very much suggest that you go to ebay and buy a few batteries and a charger for cheap if you get this great phone.

Internet 7/10 should be faster for what it has going on under the hood.
Everyday usage 4/10 battery!
Text input 9/10 now that I downloaded the swype keyboard.

Pros

• the things it does. camera, media, surf.

Cons

• made more complex than older phones.
  • battery is really bad.

dudek
posted on 07 Jan 2012, 18:58 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 Jan 2012)

HTC AMAZE 4G Voice quality issues

dudek has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

My biggest problem is the call quality which I compered agains Nokia Nuron and Nokia 6133 which I had owned previously. Both phones had very good speaker and ear piece voice quality and were loud and very clear.
This HTC AMAZE phone however, compered to these two phones simply sucks in quality. I know that every one gets aroused when they see dual core processor or other things but after all this is a phone and it should have good to very good call quality and speaker quality but it does not.
Simply said when you are on the speaker phone ( and I use it a lot) person on the other side sounds robotic, computerized and there is fair amount of static.
I have two phones and they both are like that and it really bothers me. I already have escalated this with T-Mobile and I hope there there will be some kind of a solution to this problem most likley me getting a different phone. My assumption is that the driver of speaker itself is crappy and hence we have crappy sound quality, earpiece is not great either but acceptable, either way both should have been louder than they are.

Build quality 9/10 Phone seems to have quality build, although it should have had some better grip on the sides since the phone is fairly heavy like some rubberized grip or something similar.
Reception 8/10 Reception is good although I noticed about 20 dropped calls between my two phones I hae 2 of these Amazes and dropped calls really bother me, I already escalated this with T-mobile and we'll see where it goes.
Call quality 1/10 Call quality sucks, I mean for heaven sakes 1st reviewer and phone arena reviewer I don't know if you ever had good quality voice reproduced over the speaker phone and ear piece like in my Nokia Nuron that I just had and comparing these two phones HTC totally sucks, I am on the verge of returning this phone/exchanging it for something else like Galaxy S II because of quality of the call or quality of the reproduced voice over the speaker. What I mean is volume is way to low for $560 phone, person speaking sounds robotic or has computerized voice and and there is fair amount of static, yes static. Pay attention to it and you will discover this yourself. When I plugged in jack into phone head outlet and had conversation through my cars speakers initially it was ok but as I was driving faster and had more noise in the car because of speed, the voice/sound started to break. It sounded like I was hearing every other word and ultimately I had to pull out the jack out and listen through phone speaker.
Internet 9/10 Internet is great. At the time of writing this 1/7/2012 @7pm in Clifton, NJ area I got 2.4Mbps download and 0.38 upload. Two other attempts resulted in 1.4Mbps download. I did get higher results in other areas upto 4 or 5Mbps, I wish it was higher, but the internet does lag ping times are fairly high, ( it could be this phone, it could be T-mobile.)
Multimedia 7/10 I download some songs, used HTC as a player, call came in, naturally you would expect that the song would pause when the call came in and would start playing back when you were done with call however most of the times but not always the phone would go back to beginning of the song. I also noticed that when I press pause button on htc player and made outgoing call hoping to start playing where I left off, I also noticed it went back to beginning of the song. I called T-mobile about this and wa
Camera 9/10 While taking some pictures sometimes camera would focus and refocus in darker areas trying to take picture. It was a cumbersome process missing several good moments. But other than that (it;s a small deal) camera is extremely good, has very good quality sharpness and flesh for camera phone bordering that of small point and shoot.
UI speed 9/10 I think it's pretty good. I am very satisfied with UI speed, smooth and sillky. However when pressing CALL button and UI shows you dial pad and you enter first numbers there is a delay of 0.5 to 1 second making you think that you have not dialed a number or two and while you keep dialing in full phone number initial 3 numbers will be dialed extremely fast. When this happens you may think that you missed or did not enter one or two digits of the phone number, which may fool you into entering initial phone number again, later finding that they suddenly were dialed and you have to delete them now because you have just dialed it again. But after dialing numbers for few days you get used to it and know that the phone did register keystrokes and phone number will appear in it entirety.
Everyday usage 10/10 Very good.
Text input 10/10 Very Good.
Display 10/10 Dispaly is amazing, details on the screen and pictures taken with camera were really amazing. I'm very satisfied with the quality of display, brightness and sharpness.
Battery 4/10 Battery is abysmal, again for a $560 phone + tax HTC should have used larger battery than 1730 mAh. Battery should have been at least 2.2 mAh to sustain the phone for what it's capable of doing.

Pros

• Dispaly quality, sharpness, brightness
  • Interface usage
  • Good Reception
  • Fast smooth operation
  • Camera quality and sharpness is very good

Cons

• Battery drains quickly
  • Ear piece volume low
  • Speaker volume low
  • Speaker voice quality is garbage
  • When in high noise area voice is breaking

rex0422
posted on 29 Oct 2011, 03:19 (Posts: 30; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)

HTC Amaze 4G- Amazingly Surprising Phone!

rex0422 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Good phone- Especially in camera department.

Call quality is great, reception is good, build quality is GREAT!!!

Also, HSPA+ 42Mbps speed is awesome! I get around 8 to 13 Mbps down and almost 2 Mbps up. The data speeds were good.

Fast processor = good UI speed = good Internet experience = good multimedia experience.

Display is very dense and crisp- Colors are natural and Super-AMOLED isn't as good comparing to the Super-LCD panel here.

HTC keyboard = great! On-part with Motorola multitouch keyboard!!!

Overall, GREAT PHONE!

Build quality 10/10 Beautiful aluminum construction as opposed to Samsung Galaxy S II series of phones.
Reception 9/10 Rarely fluctuates in signal strength.
Call quality 9/10 Works like wonders! Call quality is well above average with little to no static in the background and voices on clear on both ends of the line. Weakness in earpiece on HTC Amaze 4G is noticeable.
Internet 9/10 Performance is great, but lags a bit.
Multimedia 9/10 Big, clear screen is awesome for multimedia viewing pleasure.
Camera 10/10 Best camera to-date. Even better than myTouch 4G Slide. Colors are incredibly crisp and accurate and natural and sharp details are in place. The 1080p video is also good looking and audio-quality is not that great, but still one of the best I have ever tested.
UI speed 10/10 Extremely fast with S3 1.5-GHz Snapdragon processor.
Everyday usage 10/10 Extremely fast!!!!!! Doesn't lag whatsoever with that 1GB of RAM as opposed to HTC Sensation 4G, which lags a lot with 768MB of RAM.
Text input 10/10 Big screen and the wonderful HTC keyboard (plus trace input) is great.
Display 10/10 Nice, Large and crisp and natural looking display just makes the display stands out from the crowd.
Battery 9/10 Well above average. With checking emails every 30mins, 4-hours on average web browsing, 1 to 2 hours of phone calls and regularly sending text, I get about 10 hours or more generally. Definitely good battery life, and it charges fast as opposed to Samsung Galaxy S II variants in the States.

Pros

• Nice looking display with Super-LCD panel
  • Camera performance is GREAT- The best on the market right now
  • Call quality is good
  • Performance is fast with 1.5-GHz dual-core Snapdragon S3 Processor
  • Revamped UI is beautiful and functional
  • Reception is great
  • Build quality is awesome- On-Par with iPhone 4/4S
  • Large display makes multimedia experience good

Cons

• 1080p video results can be better with better audio-recording
  • Battery is good, but not that great