Google Nexus S 4G User Reviews

Text input7.9/10
Everyday usage8.4/10
UI speed8.4/10

Scott2007
posted on 03 Nov 2011, 21:08 (Posts: 0; Member since: 01 Sep 2011)

Love this phone!!!

Scott2007 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I have had this phone about two months now. It was a difficult decision between it and the Evo, but I am very happy with my choice. Its size and shape make it very comfortable to hold, but it is very slippery and easy to drop if I am not careful. The screen is amazingly bright and crisp, much more than Evo. It is also very responsive. The processor is very fast, and I love that the phone is free of bloatware. It helps to reboot it every day or two, and do a battery pull once a week or so. When I don't do this I notice it bogs down occasionally and freezes up. I get a full day out of the battery with moderate use, but the display tends to suck the life out of it if I watch videos or spend much time online. The stock virtual keyboard is better than some, but not perfect. Since the screen is 4.0" instead of Evo's 4.3", it is easier to hit the wrong keys. Small price to pay, however, since the phone specs out very similar to Evo and comes in at half the price. The camera is probably the biggest disappointment. It is possible that I just haven't figured it out yet, but it seems to be inconsistent. It can take great pics, but often I have to try at least twice. I love the built-in storage; 16GB is way more than enough for anything I will ever need. I have never had any issues with signal, although I have seen that complaint several times. This phone does better than my old phone with fewer bars. I thought the lack of a notification light would be a pain, but I got used to it very quickly....

Build quality 10/10 Very tough construction. Since it is so slippery I have dropped it several times, and my three-year old son has chewed on it, and it still looks brand new. The contoured shape protects the screen from scratches, too.
Reception 9/10 Once in a great while it will mysteriously lose its signal, but it gets it back fast. It has only dropped one or two calls, and I have never had to reboot to get it to connect, like some have complained.
Call quality 9/10 Very clear and consistent sound.
Internet 7/10 Not sure if it is Twitter or the phone, but frequently it will not load the pages linked in tweets. Periodically the browser bogs down, and it doesn't appear to be graphics-related; simple news articles sometimes give it fits. But, this is the exception; normally it is fine.
Multimedia 9/10 Video streams smoothly and the picture quality is very nice. I did a lot of research on video quality before buying this phone. It seems that this, Evo, Photon, and Epic are top tier and others are a big step down. The stock music player is lacking in functionality. There is a downloadable update I used for a while but it fritzed out one day and I lost all my playlists. Kept the songs, just losts the playlists. I love the texting format. It is very intuitive. The Fb and Twitter homescreen widget
Camera 6/10 Takes good pics but is unreliable for action shots and has limited effects available. Also don't like that I can't turn the flash on to shoot video, so I can't take vids unless lighting is good.
UI speed 9/10 It is almost always very fast, but hiccups once or twice a day maybe. This is really pretty minimal since I am on it almost continuously.
Everyday usage 10/10 I never get mad at my phone. And I am one of those people who routinely gets irritated with technology when it it glitchy. Any hiccups by this phone are more than offset by its speed and delicious display.
Text input 8/10 The keys are smaller than those on other similar phones. The portrait oriented keyboard is quite difficult to use. I find the spacebar the easiest to miss because it is not all the way at the bottom of the screen, where my thumbs think it should be.
Display 10/10 Barring the new Galaxy S II, hands down the best display I have seen. Closest competitor is the Photon, but it is a brick of a phone. This one is much sleeker and less offensive to my hands.
Battery 7/10 I should not expect much since all these smartphones suck juice, but I can drain 25% of the battery just reading an ebook for 30 minutes. That's with wifi and 4g off, and a good 3g signal with no other apps going, too.

Pros

• Display display display. Overall appearance in general. general usage. processor speed. video quality. lots of storage. responsive touchscreen. low pricepoint. no bloatware. charges quickly and comes with wall charger and usb charger.

Cons

• Camera. sometimes the browser. no Fb integration. battery drains

jamrockjones
posted on 02 Nov 2011, 14:15 (Posts: 345; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)

Overall well built phone

jamrockjones has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I was satisfied with the phone, didn't absolutely love everything about it but it had it's strengths. I loved the bright colors on the screen, I also think it has a great looking shape to it, something that most smartphones are missing these days. I like that it's not full of bloatware and that it was constantly getting updates!

Pros

• Great Screen
  • Sleek Look, love the curve in the screen!
  • Great Size

Cons

• Average reception
  • Slower data speeds
  • Occasional hickup/glitch.

rossmadia
posted on 22 Jul 2011, 10:28 (Posts: 0; Member since: 22 Jul 2011)

Very Happy with Nexus S 4G

rossmadia has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I switched to this phone from the Palm Pre. Loved the Palm, but with no future in sight, I had to bail. As for the Nexus, I'm extremely happy. My wife has the Evo and I struggled with my decision to get the Evo, Evo 3D or the Nexus. I think I made the right decision. The battery life is much better on the Nexus compared to the Evo. The Evo 3D was way to gimmicky for me. I was extremely surprised to find that utilizing the 4G network during my drives to stream things like podcasts or Pandora did not show significantly more battery drain. In some cases, it used less than #g because the signal strength seems to be lacking on the Nexus. As for the UI, I love that it's clean and that the phone doesn't have all of the bloatware as with the Evo. I have had very good luck finding the widgets that I miss from the Sense UI on HTC.
Really bummed that Facebook integration is disabled on this phone as it was very useful since I am an avid user. But, the Hotspot ability out of the box is a huge plus for use of an iPad or laptop on the go.

Build quality 10/10 Solid phone. Curved screen is very comfortable.
Reception 7/10 3G reception seems to be much lower than comparable phones in the same location.
Call quality 9/10 Good call quality and great volume, even on speakerphone.
Camera 10/10 Picture quality is fantastic!
UI speed 10/10 No lag at all.
Everyday usage 9/10 Use for work and on email all day. Only complaint is that I can't see my exchange folders or move email messages.
Text input 9/10 The keyboard is a little cumbersome, but not bad. Takes time to get used to on-screen input from a querty chicklet style of the Palm.
Display 10/10 Crisp, clear, bright in sunlight, fantastic!
Battery 9/10 Better than expected. I'm a heavy user and it still lasts all day.

Pros

• Great Screen
  • Clean UI
  • Fast response
  • Great 4G Battery Utilization

Cons

• No Facebook Integration
  • Lack of Exchange Controls

iammobilechris
posted on 12 Jun 2011, 14:30

signal & wifi issues, returned for Evo4G

iammobilechris has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Used the Nexus S for about a week... I was experiencing very poor signal strength (I compared another persons phone in the same location they had 3 bars and I had none) so I knew there was a issue, Checked online and read reviews on how customers was complaining of this same issue along with connecting to WiFi & experiencing additional problems. Do not like that there is no visual voice-mail or a way to integrate my Facebook contacts...stock Android is to plain. I returned it and got the Evo 4G... OMG WAY BETTER!!! I know the Evo 4G has been out for a year now but by now all the bugs are worked out and it has Gingerbread. Now have 3 bars to where with the other phone I had hardly 1.The Nexus S may be a better once Sprint Samsung fixes the bugs!

Pros

Cons

• bugs
  • no LED notifcation
  • signal issues

iammobilechris alternatives:

moofoodooloo
posted on 11 Jun 2011, 11:04 (Posts: 137; Member since: 04 Jan 2011)

Went from the Evo to the Nexus..

moofoodooloo has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I'm a sales consultant at Sprint. I had the Evo, and it was a difficult to decision to switch from my Evo, that has never failed me, to the Nexus. After about 6 weeks with the Nexus, here's what I notice.

I never realized how huge my Evo was until I got my Nexus. I sacrifice a little bit of screen size on with the Nexus, but the Evo is a clunk of a phone compared to the Nexus. Note that I had the extended battery installed on my Evo though, but I'll get into battery life in a second. The Nexus is much more thin, lean and overall more sleek then the Evo.

The Nexus' Super AMOLED is beautiful.

Battery life is much, much better then the Evo. My Nexus gets the same battery life as my Evo did with it's extended battery, which made my Evo huge.

I miss HTC's widgets. HTC has some of the best widgets available for any phone smartphone.. Battery life indicator, google calendar, it's trademark clock/weather widget.. I miss those immensely.

But, the Nexus doesn't have the preloaded bloatware that the Evo did. The Evo came stock with a lot of (IMO) unnecessary apps, like Sprint Football, Nascar, Blockbuster, a game I never played, and some other stuff I never used.

The Nexus is fast. Faster then the Evo? I would say so. Is it because it doesn't come with some of the bloatware the Evo came with? I don't know. But yes, it is faster then the Evo.

Reception: Evo. I would like to elaborate but I'm reaching my charactor limit.

Build quality 9/10 Doesn't feel cheap in the least. Very sleek, very light.
Reception 8/10 Not as good as my Evo, but still very capable.
Call quality 10/10 Probably the best call quality I've experienced on any phone I've ever used.
Internet 9/10 Rich, responsive and fast.
Multimedia 8/10 I load a lot of music on my phone. The interface is nice, my biggest complaint is that the external speaker isn't loud enough for me. It's good quality, but I would like it a little louder.
Camera 9/10 Takes a better picture then my Evo did, with 3 less MP's.
UI speed 10/10 As fast as any phone I've ever used.
Everyday usage 10/10 This is my work and play phone. Doesn't let me down.
Text input 7/10 Only comes with one keyboard option, no swype available yet. Would like more typing options.
Display 9/10 Super AMOLED is very rich.
Battery 9/10 For an Android phone, again, probably the best battery life I've seen in this class of phone.

lcpltyler
posted on 18 May 2011, 15:15

Nexus S 4g

lcpltyler has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I came from Evo 4g to the Nexus S 4g. This phone was done right, there is no B.S. Sprint bloat-ware, e.g., the dreaded Sprint TV and wiget, Nascar, NFL, Twitter, Facebook, Sprint Navigation, footsteps, Qik, Friend stream and widget. Sprint Zone, and Sprint hot-spot. Most of theses running in the background all the time. Sprint refers to them as ready apps, always ready when you need them. I never needed them. I do miss the hdmi output for Netflix (Evo phone was rooted and app to mimic the screen) to be able to watch on any hmdi TV. This phone doesn't have all the flashy look at me user interfaces, which is perfect. The reception on the phone for me here in phoenix supersedes the Evo in same locations. This phone is fast. I would recommend this phone.

Build quality 10/10 Light and Sturdy
Reception 10/10 Supersedes the Evo 4g
Call quality 10/10 Like talking from land-line to land-line
Internet 10/10 Fast
Multimedia 10/10 Plays just about everything, but theirs apps for the everything else part
Camera 10/10 great for being 5mp, personally better then the Evo. Don't think the Evo is using all the pixels.
UI speed 10/10 Shocking fast. Was skeptical playing with demo phone in the store, but who knows what people do to those phones.
Everyday usage 10/10 Always on it, Google Nav, Netflix, internet, texting, can get about 9-11 hours with constant use.
Text input 9/10 It has stock text in-put keyboard. Be careful with market keyboards, some have been known for collecting personal info, like usernames, passwords, and creditcard numbers. Tswipe has a disclaimer when setting it as default keyboard and specifically says this.
Display 10/10 Stunning led display, saves battery
Battery 8/10 Would it kill the manufacturer to put a 2000+ mAh battery in it, I don't think so.

Pros

• No bloat-ware
  • Better battery live than other phones
  • Netflix
  • Great clarity voice calls
  • Screen clarity
  • Fast, No lagging UI
  • 16gb internal memory

Cons

• No HDMI
  • No expansible memory

CDMAJoe
posted on 16 May 2011, 09:02 (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Feb 2011)

Overall great phone

CDMAJoe has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

So far I've only had the phone for about a week and from the short time of owning it I am very pleased. Quicker than the EVO with better battery life. Tough to gage the battery since the phone is new to me and im constantly playing with it but im barley getting a full day with it. The phone is super quick. Have had some weird things happen already that seemed more random then a potential reoccurring problem. For instance I was getting a call and when i went to look at the screen to see who was calling it stayed black not allowing me to see anything until i hit the power button. The gallery for pictures seems inconsistant when trying to access pics. Overall good phone and will update this review again shortly when I play around with it more.