Google Nexus 7 (2013) User Reviews

Text input9.8/10
Everyday usage9.7/10
UI speed9.8/10

cmorrice
posted on 06 Jul 2014, 21:17 (Posts: 0; Member since: 06 Jul 2014)

amazing

cmorrice has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Amazing. Pure vanilla android. Over the air update from Google almost immediately. It's awesome. Snappy 1.5ghz processor. Never stutters. Great tablet. Android 4.4.4. Best tablet in the market. Asus and Google together are awesome

Pros

• amazing screen
  • great speakers
  • HD screen
  • 323ppi
  • almost immediate ota (over the air) android updates from google

annoy007
posted on 19 Mar 2014, 23:02 (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)

Awesome

annoy007 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The tablet has really been amazing and I'm just gunna say it. Its probably better than the iPad mini. And diffenetly an upgrade from the old model. And I would know I had one. I mean gaming and anything is just a piece of cake for this tablet.

Pros

• Speedy
  • Great dispaly
  • Pure Android
  • Has back camera

tommybayshore
posted on 07 Mar 2014, 18:44 (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 Mar 2014)

Awesome Tablet but...

tommybayshore has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

First of all, i do love this tablet, its the perfect size, its 4G LTE so i can take it anywhere and get online, the graphics are crystal clear, its running KitKat and the battery is great but my ONLY gripe is that the colors look washed out on the display.
I have a Note 3 and a S4 so maybe there is no comparrison to those two phones but when i look at my Note 3 and the N7 side by side, the greens, yellows, reds, blues just aren't as vivid and bright as the N3 or S4. I actually even have an iPad air which i never use since i got my Nexus and the colors are amazing on that. I'm surprised i don't see others complaining about the same thing, im pretty picky with my devices and its hard for me to understand why the colors arent that vivid. I know it doesnt have the exact same display as the N3 or S4 but the 7" Kindle has a bright vivid display and a few others. Again, i love my Nexus, not bashing it, just trying to understand if i have a defective unit or its like this for everyone. I even went back to the Verizon store and sat it beside the display unit and they both had the same, washed out/light color look. The sales rep agreed with me.

• 4G LTE
  • Display Resolution
  • OS

Cons

• Color Quality

Kevinty7
posted on 25 Jan 2014, 21:34 (Posts: 0; Member since: 09 Jan 2014)

Overall, It is awesome, I would recommend it to anyone!

Kevinty7 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This is one of the best 7 in. tablets I have seen with 4 high speed proccesors, and 2 gigs of ram. The Nexus 7 also recieves android updates less than a week after they're released (most of the time).

Overall, It is awesome. I would recommend it to anyone!

Build quality 10/10 Very sturdy, nice to hold with 1 hand or 2. Droped it twice on the screen, both times the screen was fine right after.
Reception 5/10 N/A (I own the WiFi model)
Call quality 5/10 One again, I have the WiFi model
Internet 5/10 WiFi model!
Multimedia 10/10 Best screen I have seen on a device like this. Awesome quality sound
Camera 10/10 Very nice camera, crisp.
UI speed 10/10 Never laggs. I have about 200 apps installed, and as long as I keep most of them closed the UI is snappy, EVEN WITH NOVA LAUNCHER!
Everyday usage 10/10 With Google Now™ you can easly see news from websites you've been to. You can coustomize it to tell you the scores of games of your favorite teams.
Text input 10/10 Very nice, easy to use keyboard, even the text to speech works perfectly in medium noise.
Display 10/10 This is the best screen in a device like this by far.
Battery 9/10 The battery lasts about 2-3 days when I'm not using it for games. when I'm playing games it lasts about 4 hours on Respawnables™ The only problem is that the battery is non-replacable.

Pros

• Lots of ram (2 gigs)
  • Fast proccesser (quad-core 1.5)
  • Crisp, Bright display
  • Sturdy Build
  • Inexpensive

Cons

• Non-replacable battery
  • Lack of Memory expansion (No SD slot)

Kevinty7 alternatives:

Thme1622
posted on 02 Jan 2014, 01:31 (Posts: 0; Member since: 26 Sep 2013)

Umm. It blows....

Thme1622 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

the competition completely away. The overall experience has been nearly perfect as only one app gave a few complaints and FC's before settling in and running smoothly as butter and always responsive. I left a N.O.V.A. 3 near orbit game running before going to sleep later on they day. I woke up, went on about my day did some heavy web surfing on chrome (which runs perfectly and extremely fast BTW) with between 15-20 tabs open without any sign of slowing down or running low on RAM. So I decided I wanted to go back and restart the last checkpoint in N.O.V.A..... Low and behold it was still right exactly where I paused it even after all the other things I was doing in chrome, hangouts, QuickPic, Keep, etc. I was astonished it was still paused there the whole time. EF'ing amazing. As for Quality: It's Asus, I've yet to have bad experiences with their devices. It's light, and has the perfect form factor for portability in my mind. Its my go to device for entertainment and productivity. Best bang for the buck. Apple could compete if they weren't so keen to burn everyone's wallet....

Build quality 10/10 Polycarbonate + Asus quality motherboards and the form factor leaving it very durable.
Reception 8/10 Because I can't rate low to count against the other ratings as phonearena needs to exclude this rating as it clearly doesn't apply to the Nexus 7 (2013).
Internet 10/10 Sheer speed at loading pages. I can actually get stuff done now on the web.
Camera 9/10 For a tablet camera its fine...
Text input 9/10 Could've done better by shipping an optional keyboard with it. Something like an accessory designed like the transformer pads would've been awesome as an option at purchase

Pros

• everything it has.

Cons

• no sdcard slot.

figgycity50
posted on 14 Dec 2013, 07:50 (Posts: 0; Member since: 14 Dec 2013)

Awesome tablet

figgycity50 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This tablet is the best one. Better then any model of the iPad. I love it. But i really hate the distance between the sides of the Nexus and it's screen, it makes me accidentally press things. The Internet runs so well and it is the best tablet EVER.

Build quality 9/10 Overall good, but distance between edge and screen lets me down.
Reception 10/10 Sound is EXCEPTIONAL, I can play games, watch videos and more with no sound bugs
Call quality 10/10 N/A. I use the WiFi model. And it's not a phone. But skype runs well.
Multimedia 10/10 Great sound, screen and touch, plus gyro sensor for some games.
Camera 10/10 Photo sphere works well, video and photo works exeptionally well
UI speed 10/10 Very fast
Everyday usage 10/10 I can use this thing really well. I like it.
Text input 10/10 Google Keyboard works well, plus voice input is awesome.
Display 10/10 Best screen I have ever seen, ever, this is better than my TV.
Battery 10/10 I can game on this thing a whole night!

Pros

• Exeptional screen
  • Great battery

Cons

• No SD slot.
  • Build quality

NiteFang
posted on 12 Dec 2013, 17:36 (Posts: 0; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)

Best tablet I've ever used, regardless of glitches (Which have been fixed!)

NiteFang has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I got the Nexus 7 for my 16th birthday and honestly, it was amazing. Over time I noticed the touchscreen issues everyone was talking about, and the GPU got hot whenever I played a game. After about 1 month I got sick of the bugs, and returned it for a brand new one. This one was perfect. It was fast, it had an amazing touchscreen, ran games brilliantly, and I'm honestly thinking of replacing my laptop with this.

Build quality 9/10 It feels very durable, solid and light. I feel like it could go through a pretty good beating. I didn't put a perfect 10 because it honestly feels like I could snap it (Not completely) if I wanted to.
Internet 10/10 This tablet is GREAT with internet, I feel like I should get the LTE version when I get the money.
Multimedia 10/10 The Nexus 7 is great with any video, movie or song. Playback sounds amazing and it looks amazing.
Camera 8/10 The camera isn't anything special, but I honestly was impressed with how it looked for a tablet camera. I wouldn't use it for photography, but it gets the job done VERY well.
UI speed 9/10 The UI speed is great. Everything moves smoothly, and along with actually working fast, it LOOKS fast too, so if it goes slow at all, it will seem very swift.
Text input 10/10 Text input is amazing with the keyboards you can download from the Play Store and the screen size seems amazing for touchscreen typing. Swype is honestly recommended.
Display 10/10 The display is absolutely beautiful, nothing else can be said.
Battery 10/10 The most I get out of a battery with normal use I guess would be 12 hours. I've never used this to 0% battery but I lose about 10% every 1 hour and 10 minutes. Gaming is also great with the battery, but graphics intensive games will show a noticable drop in battery. Maybe I just get lost while playing games and forget how long I've been playing.

Pros

• Amazing screen
  • Very fast UI
  • Very powerful GPU for a tablet
  • High PPI
  • Good, dual speakers.
  • EXTREMELY affordable
  • 2 GB of ram
  • Quad-core 1.5GHz CPU
  • Light

Cons

• No removable storage (You can use USB OTG though)

salvador98
posted on 13 Feb 2014, 22:21 (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Nov 2013)

NEXUS 7 2013 or Nexus 7 2nd generation

salvador98 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

INTRODUCTION---I love my nexus 7 2013 because the quality of this device is amazing, it is better than the IPAD AIR or the IPAD MINI 2 i hate apple ok? so the reception of the display is great it responds you without any problem or any delay...

---the CAMARA i really love it, it has a 5 Megapixels autofocus camara and a front facing camara with 1.2 Megapixels its well ooh the rear camara shoot awesome 1080p video...

---It is a device that supports every usage day,----the processor is AMAZINGLY FAST with a QUAD CORE CPU at 1.5 GHz all the apps, games, etc runs very fast and with the 1080p display it looks all perfect

it has a 1080 by 1920 resolution

CONCLUSION: I had my nexus for 4 months ago and I think that i never chage my nexus 7 2013 for another device it is FAST, NO DELAY, VERY PORTABLE FOR WORK LIKE VIEW YOUR EMAIL MAKE A VIDEO CALL IN HD because the front camara has a 720p video recording

Build quality 10/10 GOOGLE MAKE AN EXECELLENT JOB IN THE DESING
Reception 10/10 THE DISPLAY HAVE A PERFECT RESEPTION
Call quality 10/10 WHEN YOU CALL ON SKYPE HANGOUT IT HEARS GREAT
Internet 10/10 IT IS VERY FAST
Multimedia 10/10 ITS RESPONSIVE AND FAST
Camera 10/10 5megapixel back camera---shoots 1080p HD video 2megapixel fron camara--shoots 720p video
UI speed 10/10 GREAT
Everyday usage 10/10 10 HOURS OF BATERY LIFE
Text input 10/10 its is easy, great and fast
Display 10/10 SO GREAT DISPLAY 1080P FULL HD videoplayback
Battery 10/10 10 hours of batery life

Pros

• 2GB of RAM
  • 16 or 32GB of storage
  • Quad Core Central Procesing Unit
  • Quad Core Graphic Procesing Unit (Adreno 320)
  • Full HD display 1080 by 1920
  • 323 ppi pixels per inch
  • 10 hours of ereading or surfing the web
  • 9 hours of HD videoplayback in 1080p
  • Dual speakers
  • Thin 8.6mm
  • LIght 290gr

Cons

salvador98 alternatives:

Faizan11
posted on 30 Oct 2013, 07:26 (Posts: 0; Member since: 30 Oct 2013)

Faizan

Faizan11 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

this tablet is the best!! but it would have been better if it had a sd slot!! the display is outstanding! i really loved it................................................​...........and the best thing is that its affordable .

Trex95
posted on 06 Oct 2013, 01:23 (Posts: 543; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)

great 7 inch tablet

Trex95 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

In my opinion this one of the best Android tablet around if it's not the best period. Nexus 7 2013 handle all tasks with ease including intensive 3D games works just fine without any noticeable lag or glitch.

Camera 9/10 Better than Nexus 4 camera!

Pros

• Non

Cons

• Screen bezels

Trex95 alternatives:

johnpa2006
posted on 24 Aug 2013, 23:08 (Posts: 3; Member since: 24 Aug 2013)

Its just right

johnpa2006 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I am very finicky about tablets, I had a Surface RT twice from staples and returned it twice, I had the Galaxy Note 10.1 and liked it but found strange issues with it. I picked the Nexus 7 FHD 32gb wifi at WalMart and have been very satisfied with it. Its the Goldilocks tablets, not to big, not to small, its just right. It is very portable.

I installed TomTom on it and use it for GPS occasionally, thats handy too.
It would have been nice to have a memory card expansion slot, so thats why I went with the 32gb. Stock Android is great. Again I am very picky with tablets, so I have been very comfortable with this one. Now if Otterbox would just come out with case for it now, my life would be complete.

UI speed 10/10 The UI is snappy, zero lag. plain Android is nice, simple and easy to use.
Battery 10/10 I charge it every other day, I never turn it off, only once in a while. I use it at work a lot and when relaxing at home. Battery life is great.

Pros

• The resolution
  • Battery life is great
  • snappy UI
  • it can fit in your pocket if you really want it to
  • price is great, I got the 32gb wifi.

Cons

• SD slot would have been nice

squallz506
posted on 18 Aug 2013, 12:26 (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)

best sub 10in tablet for any price

squallz506 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I have had the original nexus 7, a transformer tf300 and an iPad mini. The new n7 destroys them all. Especially the iPad mini. The screen on the n7 is soooo much crisper and brighter than the iPad mini, and still noticeably better than the old n7. 323ppi on a 7 inch screen is amazing. There is no lag whatsoever thanks to a union of the latest software and powerful hardware. Battery life runs about 6 hours for me. The cameras are better than any tablet camera I've used, but i still reach for my phone first. The notification light, wireless qi charging, stereo speakers, rear camera and hdmi out are welcome improvements over last years nexus 7. Build quality seems more refined in the new edition as well, probably due to the smaller bezels and thinner profile.

Internet 10/10 My favorite Device for internet browsing by far
UI speed 10/10 No lag at all. Beautiful smooth transitions

Pros

• screen
  • hardware
  • nexus device (updates and development)
  • android 4.3
  • wireless qi charging
  • dual speakers
  • dual cameras
  • build quality
  • price

JojoGo101
posted on 11 Aug 2013, 11:10 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)

Very competitive tablet in the Market!

JojoGo101 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

First off i'd like to say that people's reviews have been very pitiful. Sorry to say. This tablet is faster, smoother and has better special effects in games. I recommend this tablet than any other Android tablet (except the Nexus 10, which is just as good but bigger). The iPad Mini's screen is VERY pixelated. I can't really stand that. It comes to choice, if you want something simple, go with the iPad Mini. If you want the best Android experience with plenty of features, the New Nexus 7!

Build quality 9/10 It was great, but missed the dots on the previous.
Reception 9/10 People on Skype sounded good. Volume was great when listening to music.
Call quality 10/10 I gave it 10/10 so it wouldn't affect the score.
Internet 10/10 No WIFI problems.. so far.
Multimedia 10/10 Have you seen the screen?
Camera 8/10 Umm, the front facing is good for video calls and self potraits and the rear is good, recording is also good, but not great.
UI speed 10/10 It flies..
Everyday usage 10/10 Nothing wrong, never let me down!
Text input 10/10 Gesture typing, LIKE A BOSS
Display 9/10 It's just perfect.. almost. The colors could have been a LITTLE better, but that's just cause i'm a geek.
Battery 9/10 Thanks to 4.3, it's good.

Pros

• Fast
  • Smooth
  • Cheap

Cons

JojoGo101 alternatives:

quelsplace
posted on 29 Jul 2013, 13:24 (Posts: 0; Member since: 29 Jul 2013)

Google Nexus 7 II

quelsplace has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I love it! It's thinner-it even fits in my back pocket! More responsive and brighter! I have had an issue with it constantly rebooting. I noticed when I did the Chrome update it rebooted quite a bit. Once I uninstalled the update it seems to work a little more smoothly however it still reboots at random times. I'm not sure if it's the new tablet or older apps that automatically transfer from my google account during the initial set up. Most of those apps may not be compatible to 4.3. I will wait another few days before I attempt to take it back to the store for a resplacement.

Build quality 9/10 Thinner; can fit into my pocket; lighter
Reception 9/10 so far I have not dropped a signal
Call quality 1/10 N/A
Multimedia 7/10 so far I have not played any games on here but when I used my bluetooth to play music through Google Play the first part of the song was sketchy but then smoothed out as the song continued (not sure if this is the bluetooth, the tablet or Google music error)
Camera 5/10 Could use more megapixels
UI speed 9/10 Extremely responsive
Everyday usage 9/10 So far it's been easy to use. I wish there was a list of all the features and how to use each feature.
Text input 9/10 I use a third party app for my text input
Display 9/10 Clear and bright
Battery 8/10 I have not played with it long enough to test the battery usage

Pros

• Thin
  • responsive
  • light
  • fast processor

Cons

• constant reboot
  • no expandable storage
  • no replaceable battery

tgom222
posted on 29 Jul 2013, 12:32 (Posts: 7; Member since: 08 Jul 2012)

Amazing tablet for amazing price

tgom222 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I purchased my 2nd Gen Nexus 7 as a replacement for my Androidified HP Touchpad. I couldn't be more satisfied with the value and quality of this device. The first thing you notice is just how beautiful the screen is. It absolutely pops! This really is a great tablet, probably better than many that cost twice as much. Check one out. You'll love it too!

Build quality 10/10 Feels very solid.
Call quality 10/10 uh, n/a, but phonearena makes you rank?!?
Internet 10/10 A pleasure to surf with.
Multimedia 10/10 The screen and sound quality make it great to watch movies.
UI speed 10/10 Very responsive and snappy
Text input 10/10 Keyboard is very responsive
Display 10/10 The clarity is purely amazing.
Battery 10/10 Easily lasts 2 days of real use. Compared to my other devices, that's nuts!

Pros

• High res screen
  • Fast processor
  • Thiness

Cons

• Bezel could be a little thinner

grahaman27
posted on 28 Jul 2013, 15:58 (Posts: 347; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)

best tablet in its class by a long shot

grahaman27 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

So far its nearly perfect. Charges quickly (about 4 hours from sub 10%), battery life is about what's advertised. I use mine for games and web browsing and I can get about 5-7 hours of screen on time. I stream music a lot with Google music and am sad to say that battery life drains quicker than I hoped while doing that. I have not said anything about the display yet because I'm saving the best for last. Its gorgeous!! Great color reproduction, contrast, and brightness. Great tablet overall.

Build quality 10/10 Solid feel, great size.
Call quality 5/10 No calls.

Pros

• great display
  • fast
  • affordable
  • dual speakers
  • thin and light
  • latest android version

Cons

• no expandable storage

USAFA
posted on 27 Jul 2013, 18:29 (Posts: 0; Member since: 27 Jul 2013)

Initial Minor Bugs

USAFA has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

During initial set-up, the tablet disconnected from wifi after asking for my name for personalization of the device. I thought this was the problem that caused about half of all apps to have errors during automatic account/tablet/app transfer during first run. But the problem seems to be an error in Google Play, error 920. I did a few searches and saw this problem is old to Google Play, suggested fixes include clearing GP's cache, data, and re-start. This didn't work the first time. Restarted again, re-tried updating and the apps updated.

Call quality 2/10 N/A
Internet 8/10 N/A Haven't tried yet.
Multimedia 2/10 N/A Haven't tried yet.
Camera 2/10 N/A Haven't tried yet.
Text input 9/10 New swipe-like interface. Like it.
Display 10/10 Crisp, Great color representation.
Battery 8/10 Too soon to tell.