x PhoneArena is hiring! Reviewer in the USA

Build quality9.3/10
Text input9.6/10
Everyday usage9.7/10

Captain_Doug
posted on 08 Jun 2015, 04:13 (Posts: 990; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)

Solid device

Captain_Doug has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Overall very worth the price. Has some short comings like battery life and call quality but make up for it with the price tag. The SOC is great, screen is sharp but colors are off, camera is up there but nowhere near the best, build quality is mostly great. One of my favorite phones.

Build quality 9/10 Overall very good build quality. I've dropped it countless times (none very high) and it never broke and barely showed any marks around the edges. I've dropped a couple points because I the power button gets sticky and will send the phone into a boot loop. It's a known issue with no way to fix it but to replace it and hope it doesn't happen again. Pretty lame.
Call quality 6/10 Very hard to hear people and everyone said I was quiet as well. Unimpressed.
Camera 8/10 Pretty good camera. Love the HDR mode. Not great though. Could've pulled more out of the 8 MPs.
UI speed 9/10 Pretty fluid but got choppy after awhile. Factory reset/fresh rom install fixes it.
Display 9/10 Colors are off. The white is blueish.
Battery 7/10 No great battery life but lasted as long as I needed most of the time. Pretty mediocre.

wolverinexmen9
posted on 20 Aug 2014, 00:54 (Posts: 111; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)

Google Nexus 5

wolverinexmen9 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I love this phone! My very first Nexus phone. I'm a guy that loves updates and I couldn't stand how slow updates came to my GS3. My neighbor had the GS2 and upgraded to the GS3 and he showed me all the cool features it had to offer, so I went ahead and bought a GS3. It was a good device, don't get me wrong but I hated waiting around for updates. I also found myself turning off about 90% of the dumb features you never use. One, because they waste battery. Two, I never used them. And three, they took up internal memory. I soon heard about these Nexus devices and I saw the rumors about the Nexus 5 coming out soon. As soon as the Nexus 5 came out, I waited two months before buying one because I wanted to read some reviews about it first. I decided to buy one and now I fell in love with my Nexus 5! Pure Google Phone with no bloatware. GS3 had way too much bloatware. Very fast updates that keep getting better every time. I used Google Now on the GS3, and I continue to use it and love it with all the neat features added to it almost every day on my Nexus 5. Google Now is way better than S-Voice and Siri. I finally got my first phone with LTE. At first I wasn't impressed with speeds from T-Mobile and I continued to use HSPA+ for several months until LTE got faster in my area. The build quality is very nice. The soft back feel makes the phone very comfortable to hold in your hand. And it very lightweight too. All the buttons are easily accessible. The screen size is prefect in almost every...

Build quality 9/10 Love the design! The soft back feels great in the hand. All buttons are easily accessible.
Reception 9/10 This depends on who you have for service. I have T-Mobile. On LTE, I get 2 bars most of the time. 3G/HSPA+ I always have 4 bars.
Call quality 8/10 Some phone calls very depending on both ends of service and what kind of phones are used too. Most of time I have I have really great phone calls. Sometime I experience echoing, however that is fixable buy lowering the volume on the call.
Internet 9/10 Depends on how fast your internet is and what browser you are using. Default Chrome browser is very fast and responsive.
Multimedia 9/10 Pure Google Phone. No Bloatware. All Google apps. Some apps from the Google Play Store aren't updated fast enough to be compatible with the latest version of android.
Camera 8/10 Camera is average. Stock camera has had one major update so far but features were taken away and now been slowly added back over time. 8MP camera with take average shots. Nothing too fancy, nothing too poor.
UI speed 9/10 99% of the time this phone is blazing fast! Once in awhile you will see it hick-up only because of multitasking with games and apps.
Everyday usage 9/10 I can easily pick up this phone and use almost any feature I desire without any problem. A built-in flash light widget would have been a nice add on.
Text input 9/10 Depending on what keyboard you use, you will have different results with the text input. If you use the Default Google Keyboard like I do, you will find the screen size to be just perfect for typing or swiping.
Display 9/10 Only reason 4.9inch (5) screen is too big is because I still have to move my hand to reach the top left corner to access everything. However, I don't mind the screen size for any other usage like Netflix, Games, Texting, etc...
Battery 8/10 From about 9am to 9pm is how long the battery will last on one charge. I do find myself reaching for my charger a lot. If you turn off certain features you don't need, you can really save some battery life. I wouldn't have minded if Google had built this phone a little thicker just to get a better battery.

Pros

• Android 4.4.x
  • Price
  • Fast UI
  • Updates
  • Pure Android
  • No Bloatware
  • Google Now
  • LTE
  • Lightweight

Cons

• No SD Slot
  • Auto Brightness too bright
  • Battery Life Needs to be Improved
  • Camera is Average
  • One Speaker Grill
  • No Wifi Calling

lewis14
posted on 21 Jun 2014, 12:16 (Posts: 8; Member since: 11 Jan 2014)

lewis14 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Great phone, will get updates as soon a relased even though you weat a few days for the OTA update. Fast, doesnt lag through games and its anything a person could want for a phone. The only negative would be the battery life because its inconsisity epically with the updates that are coming out but other then that everything else is great. It has anice camera even though the app might be confusing but itll come with future updates

Camera 9/10 Camera UI
Battery 8/10 Not great but good

Pros

• fast
  • updates fast

Cons

• battery life could be improved

ash1684
posted on 08 Apr 2014, 10:21 (Posts: 11; Member since: 08 Apr 2014)

Best Android experience you can get !!!

ash1684 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I got the Nexus 5 becouse i was tired of all that blootware that makes your android phones slow with the time.... it was the best choise i ever made with a mobile device !!! That phone is blazing fast and smooth, the display is really amazing and the camera is (in my opinion) of good quality (especially with HDR+ mode activated).

Build quality 9/10 I was a little sheptic with the plastic back, but i have to admit that it's soft touch have a really nice premium feel. It could be a 10/10 if it was not for the rattling power button (very well made thanks to the ceramic material, but heavy and so it rattles).
Reception 10/10 Never had problems
Call quality 10/10 the other part can hear me strong and clear
Internet 10/10 Smooth, fast in charging the pages and great experience thanks to Chrome sync (you can sync basically anything between any device you are using chrome on) and other thricks
Multimedia 7/10 That's the only average (if not bad) thing about this phone... don't misundestand me: music player, video player and multimedia UI in general are really good, but the speakers..... the speakers on this phone are really bad !!! luckly i never use them xD
Camera 9/10 The OIS is really a plus for taking videos and pictures and that HDR+ mode... man it's really amazing !
UI speed 10/10 Just one word: FASTEST
Everyday usage 10/10 Great in everyday usage, it really just do anything you need and more.
Text input 10/10 Google keyboard is really great, never felt the need to use or install any other keyboard. The slide input just works.
Display 10/10 Stunning !!! Till today still haven't seen anything better (and don't come on me with Samsung devices, their displays are just inaccurate in colors and not as sharp as N5 one).
Battery 6/10 A real pity: it's just "average"

Pros

• It's a Nexus
  • Camera with HDR+
  • Smooth and fast
  • Nice build quality
  • Wireless charging ready
  • Nice original accessories

Cons

• Speakers
  • Rattling power button
  • Battery nothing more than average

SemperFiV12
posted on 07 Apr 2014, 20:15 (Posts: 944; Member since: 09 Nov 2010)

First Nexus Device

SemperFiV12 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This is my first Nexus device, and my reintroduction to Android after leaving it for a few years. Previously used Android Froyo and left to BlackBerry, WebOS, Windows Phone 7/7.5 and Windows Phone 8. Definintely miss my Lumia devices A LOT. Windows Phone may lack few apps here and there, but the app gap is closing quickly - if not completely closed for 90% users. Phone is not as stable as I'd like with multiple forced closes and freezes.

Call quality 4/10 Earpiece and Speakerphone performance is terrible (compared to my Lumia 925, even my Lumia 900!)
Multimedia 6/10 Speakers are terrible... placement, power, clarity. However video shows nicely. Oh and no expandable storage?!
Camera 7/10 The camera on my Lumia 925 was A LOT better... not even comparable.
Everyday usage 8/10 Not as practical as I would like. Really miss the organization and clean aesthetics of Windows Phone. Definitely takes Android many more clicks to get to where I want to be and there is no consistency with OS and Apps.
Text input 8/10 Swype is nice, but cannot be used for other languages. Selection is a welcomed change from Windows Phone. The tactile feedback is not that great, perhaps this has to do with the screen.
Display 8/10 Display is nice, but not better than my previous Lumia 925. Also, the larger screen size is offset by on screen navigation buttons.
Battery 4/10 Battery barely lasts a day and is not used much for the bulk of the day... Usually needs mid-day charging. Definitely a HUGE step down from my Lumia 925.

Pros

• Newest Android OS - pure
  • No bloatware
  • Build quality is not as bad as Samsung
  • Customizeable

Cons

• Unlocked phone not as strong picking up signal for T-Mobile
  • Battery life is horrid
  • Speakers are useless, as is the ear peice
  • For my use, not better than my previous Lumia 925
  • Need better use from my widgets!
  • Build quality is not as good as Nokia
  • No expandable storage
  • Cannot remove Google Search bar on top

SemperFiV12 alternatives:

chistoefur
posted on 25 Mar 2014, 21:45 (Posts: 103; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)

Best Smartphone Money Can Buy

chistoefur has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This is simply the best smartphone anyone can buy for the money, at only $350 off contract. It's even better than a lot of the $550+ phones. With it's amazing specs and pure stock experience of Android, it's simply the fastest Android device available.

Display 9/10 Not the most saturated display, and there's some screen leaking on the top of the display, though still fantastic.
Battery 8/10 Could be better compared to some other phones, but can definitely get you through a busy day.

Pros

• Very Fast, Stable Experience
  • Great Camera, Even Better With HDR+
  • Slim, Easy To Hold
  • Charges 100% In About 2 Hours
  • Stock Android
  • Nexus Device, Completely Customizable

Cons

• Mediocre Speaker
  • Average Battery Life

Trex95
posted on 12 Mar 2014, 02:50 (Posts: 880; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)

The best Nexus phone yet.

Trex95 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

In my opinion this the best nexus phone ever made period. Yeah it does lack the quality and Luxury's feel of Nexus 4 but it's blazing fast like IPhone it's even more smoother in some areas. Nexus 5 comes with one of the best phone camera around and the best Nexus camera till date.

Camera 9/10 Camera viewfinder not that good at all.

mobi_user
posted on 26 Feb 2014, 16:52 (Posts: 150; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)

Best in the arena.

mobi_user has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This is my first andriod phone and the best one I like. I wanted to have the pure flavour of andriod without all the top coverings and all. Almost everything about this phone is excellent. Especially the OIS added to the camera gives it a very good performance when taking pictures on the move. The phone comes with most up to date hardware power. It is great at multi-tasking, playing high end games, watching movies.

shahrooz
posted on 18 Feb 2014, 05:35 (Posts: 721; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)

Google Nexus, the name says it all

shahrooz has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I love nexus line and I thing I will remain loyal to this line for a long long time. except Google take a wrong step or another super great phone comes to the market. but atm nexus 5 is the best imo. Nexus 5 has its downsides but they are acceptable and covered by it's awesomeness in other categories.

Build quality 8/10 well it feels good but it's not tough at all. lacks strength.
Call quality 9/10 it's so easy to misplace the phone on your ear due to the shape of the speaker. other than that it's great.
Multimedia 9/10 everything is good imo just lacks stereo output. btw low battery capacity limits the time for watching movies.
UI speed 10/10 it's vanilla android what do you expect? :D
Display 9/10 display angles are not as good as AMOLED ones.
Battery 8/10 it could be better

lonestrider
posted on 13 Feb 2014, 23:23 (Posts: 88; Member since: 31 Mar 2012)

Awesome google phone

lonestrider has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This phone is simply awesome as a smartphone. At a 5" display, the display looks very great and gives an amazing experience for the user. Just, don't compare this phone with another flagship phones. There are phones with better features in almost every aspect. But this phone is just Google. Fast update and pure Android.

Build quality 8/10 Feels good in the hand. Not very strong, though.
Reception 8/10 No complain in this side.
Call quality 9/10 Had several calls and it was great.
Internet 10/10 Amazing.
Multimedia 8/10 Very great, except for the speaker.
Camera 7/10 Photo quality is good-great depending on a lot of factors. Speed isn't very fast. Focusing needs some time.
UI speed 10/10 What did u expect from a Snapdragon 800 + Nexus? Super fast!
Everyday usage 9/10 Great user experience. No complain.
Text input 9/10 5" display with thin bezel, makes typing easy and the grip is excellent.
Display 10/10 1080p 5" display is awesome.
Battery 7/10 No improvement since Galaxy Nexus. I'm not sure this part is the software or battery to blame...

Pros

• Amazing Display
  • Very fast and fluid.
  • Very customizable. In a different level.

Cons

• Battery is very weak.
  • Speaker position is easily closed while holding in landscape.

lonestrider alternatives:

dbareis
posted on 20 Mar 2014, 02:56 (Posts: 8; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)

Love the phone except for the battery life

dbareis has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Very good phone, love wireless charging, unfortunately it didn't get the large battery everyone was predicting so we got the low battery file as a result. I'd pay more for a bigger battery option. Why don't manufacturers give us that option? The sound level is also too low, be nice to have decent speakers.

Multimedia 9/10 Speakers could be louder
Battery 4/10 Battery too small

Pros

• Very powerful phone
  • Low Cost
  • Latest Android OS

Cons

• Battery too small
  • Speakers could be louder
  • No IR Blaster

dbareis alternatives:

alrightihatepickingusernames
posted on 13 Jan 2014, 19:42 (Posts: 474; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)

Best deal on the market

alrightihatepickingusernames has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

As usual Nexus devices are top-hardware and performance for a low price, there is nowhere else that you can get such a deal. Obviously Google had to skip out somewhere on this thing, and the battery is the main loss here, in my experience it isn't terrible, but you won't be writing home about it. The camera may might not suit your needs if you take a lot of photos as well, it's not terrible, but you won't be thrilled. On the plus side you get stock android, and updates until summer of 2015, the device runs smooth and performs great, I can't honestly think of a situation where this thing lagged badly.

If you're looking for a top notch phone but you can only buy a mid-ranged one, this might be your best option, but if you have an upgrade or $600 to spend and you don't mind a lack of updates, look elsewhere. If you have the money, I would recommend the LG G2, but if you have less than $400 to spend, the Oppo R819 offers great battery life and mid-ranged specs in a package lighter than the iPhone 5S. The Moto X also gives nice performance for the cost, as well as a number of customizations from MotoMaker. If you don't even want to pay for the Nexus 5, you could look for a Nexus 4, at this point they will be insanely cheap and will offer similar performance, it just won't be getting updates for too much longer.

Build quality 9/10 It's no iPhone or Xperia Z1, but it feels very nice and has a very simplistic design, I really like it. Pro Tip: If you can't decide between the black and white options, the black version is soft-touch finish all over, where the white one is just a matte white back with glossy black sides, and the phone speaker is white, I like my white one.
Camera 8/10 Being somebody who doesn't take to many photos I can't say much here, it isn't a bad camera but I'm rarely wowed by it.
UI speed 10/10 Stock Android, you won't find a speedier android phone anywhere.
Display 9/10 My only complaint is that part of the display is visible behind the glass, it appears as a bunch of faint, horizontal lines when held up to the light. I've gotten use to it but it isn't great.
Battery 8/10 Coming from a phone that got less than 2 hours of screen time on low brightness this was actually a step up. It isn't terrible but don't expect any heavy usage marathons on this thing. On the plus side it charges super quick, I charged it for an hour from zero percent while the device was off and when I powered it back on it was at 61%, so about 1% per minute.

Pros

• Exceptional deal
  • Fast updates
  • Great performance
  • Pleasant design

Cons

• Mediocre battery life
  • Minor display issues

alrightihatepickingusernames alternatives:

Achilis
posted on 14 Dec 2013, 06:37 (Posts: 32; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)

Vanilla android is really tasty

Achilis has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

A superb device.Well built by LG.Better built than LG G2.
Kitkat is really awesome. The improvements over jellybean is really worthy.
Camera before update was horrible.After update it is good.
Battery life is not very good.its just ok. power users will suffer.
This is the 1st android phone i feel like not to install other launchers like apex or nova. Kitkat experience is flawless.

Build quality 10/10 Its superbly built comparing some of other android higher end phones like S4 ang G2. Solid feel.
Multimedia 9/10 Speaker could have been better
Camera 8/10 It was really bad before 4.4.2 update.But update really improved it.
UI speed 10/10 Its smooth like silk.
Battery 8/10 My only real complaint.could have been better.

omaar97
posted on 13 Dec 2013, 04:22 (Posts: 14; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)

Everything is good

omaar97 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This phone is amazing, IMO it's the best phone in the market right now
Nothing is less than "good"
Camera = 7/10 before 4.4.2, 9/10 after 4.4.2
Pretty impressed by the performance and this is the most important thing for me, VERY VERY FAST !!!
no issues with anything so far
Battery is good, enough for one day usage, still I wanted a better one

I think the Camera and the Battery are the only two things that most owners of the Nexus 5 are complaining about, but after 4.4.2 the Camera is so good, still the battery isn't that good even it's enough for me

Pros

• Everything!!

Cons

• Battery is good, but wanted a better one

BattalBoy
posted on 24 Nov 2013, 13:45 (Posts: 12; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)

Best phone for its price. And one of the best high end phones

BattalBoy has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I had an iphone 4s before this. and it doesnt even compare. Everything about this phone is better. And its allot cheaper. Everything i want from a phone, this phone gives it to me and way more. I am a heavy gamer, and a heavy browser. And this phone wont lag even on high end games like modern combat or gangstar vegas. Not to mension 4.4 is lag free. I would of liked it to have removable storage but thats no problem i just got the 32 gig one. Dont even think about any other phone. Just get this.

Build quality 9/10 The feel on the back is so nice. It is plastic but its the most high end plasic ive ever felt. The buttons are ceramic.
Reception 10/10 On my 4s i got about 0.2 mbps in this small village and on this i get 2.3 mbps.
Call quality 10/10 The speakerphone is very good quality and it looks very nice.
Internet 10/10 Browsing the internet on this 5 inch 1080p, coulour rich screen is just awsome. The text is just so sharp.
Multimedia 8/10 The music player it comes with needs you to buy it. No problem because you can just download one of the google play store.
Camera 7/10 The camera is ok. Its way better than my 4s camera but dont expect s4 or lg g2 quality pictures but its acceptable. I love the hdr+ and image stabilization.
UI speed 10/10 No lag. Even with a live wallpaper and 7 homescreens of widgets.
Everyday usage 9/10 Very easy to see in sunlight. Easy to use with 1 hand. The top corners are hard to reach but most of the time you wont need to.
Text input 9/10 I love the swype keyboard. This is the second reason i can never go back to an iphone. First being limited ios. The keyboard is very easy to type on. The only thing is that the vibraton is loud when you type
Display 10/10 5 inch 1080p ips display is awsome. Everything is sharp and coluors are nice and natrual.
Battery 8/10 The battery is avarage. Dont expect lg g2 battery life but its ok, better than my 4s. I would come home with about 55% on my 4s and i usally come home with 70-75% on this. i get around 3-4 hours of screen on time.

Pros

• Cheap price
  • Amazing screen
  • Super fast proccecor
  • stock android 4.4 with no lag
  • Very nice build and feel

Cons

• Avarage camera
  • avarage battery
  • no sd card storage

Commentator
posted on 07 Dec 2013, 23:12 (Posts: 3669; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)

A High-End Jack of All Trades (Edited 12/7/13)

Commentator has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Confidence. Were I to sum up the Nexus 5 in one word it would be this. This isn't a phone with a world beating camera, or stereo-speakers that will blow your eardrums in. It doesn't feature the latest fingerprint-scanning technology, or intuitive button placement. This isn't a phone that strives to be something it can't. Rather, this is a phone that does everything you'd expect from a modern smartphone. Nothing more, nothing less. It does this unapologetically, with the grace, understatement, and confidence of a device truly comfortable in its own skin.

If you're looking for evidence, look no further than skin-deep. If ever there were a generic-looking smartphone, this would be it. Its face is a clean sheet of glass, with no visual-flare, save for the circular speaker-hole at the top. The sides are equally-clean, sporting the power button, volume rocker, speaker, mini-USB port, headphone jack, and microphones. The rear features nothing more than the camera and LG/nexus branding. The material is entirely plastic, but it is the best feeling plastic I've ever felt. Neither glossy and slippery, nor hard and uninviting, the Nexus 5 features a sort of rubberized soft-touch coating that endeared me to it upon my very first touch.

This design may come off as "boring, cookie-cutter, and uninspired" to some, but in a day when manufacturers are differentiating themselves with all manner of adornment, this simple, solid, clean design becomes a trademark in and of itself.

The software seems...

Build quality 10/10 Its clean, "generic" design is surprisingly what sets it apart. It feels great and solid. Absolutely no complaints.
Reception 8/10 Been fine so far, but I'm using Sprint, so it could obviously be better.
Call quality 8/10 See "Reception."
Internet 9/10 Chrome is fast and capable, nearly perfect.
Multimedia 9/10 Everything looks great on the 5" IPS display. Would be a 10 if the app catalog matched iOS'
Camera 9/10 Pictures turn out fine,Android 4.4.1 fixed the shutter-lag issue. I kind of wish there were a few more stock features though.
UI speed 10/10 Android is the new king of speed, simplicity, and functionality.
Everyday usage 10/10 Extremely simple, practical, and straightforward.
Text input 8/10 The text input on its own is fine, but Hangouts as the default messaging app DEFINITELY has room for improvement.
Display 10/10 Absolutely gorgeous. On par with the best out there, including S-LCD 3 and the iPhone's Retina display
Battery 8/10 It's fine for daily use, but not mind-blowing.

Pros

• Simple, solid build
  • Pure Android, no frills
  • Supremely smooth and zippy operation

Commentator alternatives:

miket247
posted on 12 Nov 2013, 12:46 (Posts: 81; Member since: 16 Apr 2013)

A Revolutionary Device

miket247 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This is a device that can change the world. Even people in developing countries can afford to buy a Nexus 5! And it is a Flagship Phone with top notch hardware, not a cheap chinese knock-off or OVERPRICED Rotten Apple! I should know, I have a iPhone 5s 16gb, which I am now selling!

Build quality 10/10 Great for the price, solid and durable!
Reception 10/10 Just Outstanding, not a dropped call yet!
Call quality 10/10 Works great
Internet 10/10 What a speed demon!
Multimedia 10/10 WOW, look at the screen, makes my iPhone 5s look like a toy!
Camera 10/10 Takes better pics than my iPhone 5s!
UI speed 10/10 Its a BEAST!
Everyday usage 10/10 Its the best phone I've ever had, even better than my iPhone 5s!
Text input 10/10 Bigger screen makes it easier!
Display 10/10 Makes my iPhone 5s look like a toy. Its WAY WAY better. Everything is sharp and easier to see. Even in sunlight, I don't have to struggle!
Battery 10/10 Lasts just as long as my iPhone 5s! Only good for a day and then you have to charge it over night.

Pros

• Its the best phone in the Market, better than my iPhone 5s!
  • Price Factored, its an 11 out of 10!
  • Makes the iPhone 5s/5c look way Overpriced!
  • Great Camera, Awesome OS
  • FAST PHONE, GREAT SCREEN!
  • GoogleNow makes SIRI look/sound DUMB!

Cons

• Wish the battery was bigger, but other than that its a PERFECT phone!
  • NONE!

Joshing4fun
posted on 10 Nov 2013, 12:29 (Posts: 1233; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)

As Good as It Gets

Joshing4fun has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Amazing phone. It feels very solid in the hand. It has a soft silky feel. The battery life could be better but it's not as bad as it people are making it out to be. The camera is awesome. It's not the best in the world but it can take some great shots.

Build quality 10/10 Solid build, silky feel, ceramic buttons, Gorilla Glass 3; No Complaints.
Reception 10/10 No issues, works well.
Call quality 10/10 No issues, work well.
Internet 10/10 Endless options on Android, very smooth, large screen makes it enjoyable.
Multimedia 10/10 Does everything you could want.
Camera 10/10 Camera is great, especially on close up subjects. May not be the best in the world but it can still take awesome photos.
UI speed 10/10 Smoothest and fastest I've ever seen. It's even quicker than my Nexus 4.
Display 10/10 Stunning detail
Battery 7/10 Battery could be much better but it's not terrible. It's just not as impressive as some other phones which makes it look worse than it is.

Pros

• Amazing Screen
  • Great feel and build quality
  • Fabulous camera
  • Fast and lagless UI

Cons

• Weak, but tolerable battery life
  • Dull design

Joshing4fun alternatives:

improv
posted on 24 Nov 2013, 02:51 (Posts: 96; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)

Best bang for the buck but with drawbacks.

improv has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Disclaimer: Despite the minor problems I have experienced with my Nexus 5, I am still incredibly satisfied with it and have no regrets for my purchase.

Update:
After almost a week of using the Nexus 5, I am a little disappointed with the call quality. The round speaker grill for phone calls is very small so it must be placed at the right position which is a little hard to maintain. Had there been a standard bar or line instead of a circle, it could have been much better. This is an issue with the build quality rather than the call quality.

The battery life is as expected at 2300 mAh but I was hoping that it would last a bit longer than it does. I am mostly using my phone for Facebook, camera, and browsing the web in between classes and I find myself connecting it to the charger at least twice a day (not to a full charge, however).

--------------------------

Coming from an iPhone to a pure Google experience phone, I expected that there would be major differences. I had been in the Android ecosystem many years before, back when it was still at its inception and trailing leagues behind the iPhone ecosystem, but a lot has changed since then. Now, fast forward a couple of years and Android is easily on par with, and rapidly exceeding, iOS.

I had been looking to immerse myself in the Android atmosphere for the past year while I have been using my iPhone 4S for the past 2 years. I had bought a Galaxy S4 when it was first released but it wasn't right for me. I did like TouchWiz's...

Build quality 7/10 -1: It is hard to hear the other end during a phone call unless the round speaker grill is positioned correctly. -1: Location of headphone jack -1: Speaker sound Has a premium feel even though it is basically made out of plastic. The black Nexus 5 back plate picks up fingerprints very frequently but do understand that a user will most likely be staring at the front screen rather than the back plate. For the first few hours, I couldn't stop admiring how pretty this phone is. My only real beef with the build quality is that the headphone jack is located on the top of the device rather than the bottom. It's just a personal preference that I can look over though. (I currently have the black Nexus 5 but I got to play around with my friend's white Nexus 5 a couple of days ago. The hardware certainly feels different with the two since for the latter, the soft-touch back plate seems to be missing and to me, there is more of a cheap plastic feel. I would recommend the black for a more premium feel.)
Reception 10/10 I have had no problems with reception. I am currently using an AT&T mobile/data plan.
Call quality 9/10 Due to the build quality (-1) of the phone speaker grill (rounded), it is difficult to hear the other end unless the ear is positioned correctly over the area. Call quality is good and loud when positioned correctly.
Internet 10/10 Blazing fast. Chrome is so good :')
Multimedia 9/10 I have not fully integrated my media into Google-syncability applications. So far, I have synced my iTunes to Google Music. Some features in Google Music is a bit glitchy such as the queue and music sync (so -1 for that). Speaker quality is good but most of the time I am on my earphones. Everything seems to work the way they should.
Camera 7/10 For me, I don't need a super excellent camera on my smartphone. If it takes pictures then that's enough for me. I take off a point because changing the settings on the camera is a bit difficult. Update: I took off an additional 2 points because after using the camera for the past couple of days (even for simple pictures), I have been a little disappointed with the speed. Loading the camera app itself takes a relatively long time and the shutter speed is horrendous. Focusing isn't too bad unless there's nothing to focus on. Maneuvering the camera settings is impossible to get it right.
UI speed 10/10 SO FAST!
Everyday usage 9/10 I find myself kind of missing the iOS 7 interface sometimes but I love my Google apps and having a Nexus device helps me better integrate my life with them. I took off a point because it's hard to consider the Nexus 5 for everyday usage with its slightly higher than mediocre battery life.
Text input 8/10 -2: Text input controls (such as copying, pasting, dragging selection etc.). I use SwiftKey and typing (w/ and w/o Flow) is very quick. I am not a big fan of the text input controls and this is one of the features that I prefer on iOS.
Display 10/10 Stunning HD display. I really love the 1080p 5-inch display after coming from a 3.5-inch iPhone 4S. I have relatively large hands and this screen size is perfect for me.
Battery 6/10 I find myself constantly reaching for the charger so that I don't run out of battery if I were to go to an appointment. I am a student so I usually have access to ports where I can charge my phone. Battery life isn't a huge problem for me but I wouldn't have minded a larger battery with the sacrifice of a heavier or bulkier phone.

• Pure Google
  • No bloatware
  • Comfortable to hold
  • Size - not too big and not too small

• Text input controls
  • Camera setting controls
  • Speaker grill for phone calls
  • Camera software

improv alternatives:

mas11
posted on 09 Nov 2013, 00:44 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)

Best phone for the money

mas11 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

So after being stuck with Verizon for two years I'm finally free and ready to switch. My phone of choice was the Nexus 5. I desired a high end android phone for a mid-range price. With a Snapdragon 800 and 2GB of RAM plus Android Kit Kat this smartphone is buttery smooth.

Pros

• 5" 1080p Display
  • First phone with Kit Kat
  • Snapdragon 800

Cons

• Could have used better camera software

silver
posted on 06 Nov 2013, 08:39 (Posts: 22; Member since: 02 Aug 2012)

best phone

silver has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

excellent device with great performance I think the camera not so bad but I think the camera could have been better maybe google can fix it with the next software update the 5-inch display is great as well
kitkat make the nexus 5 even more quickly

Pros

• very fast
  • great display
  • low price

Cons

• no sd card

silver alternatives:

speedsypher
posted on 06 Nov 2013, 08:10 (Posts: 7; Member since: 31 Oct 2013)

the best value smartphone out there.. but..

speedsypher has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

The nexus 5 is a nice phone for it price but unfortunately not the best as I have hoped. It still lags behind the likes of lg g2 or even the HTC one in some aspects ..if u want thebest android phone that is great at almost everything then nexus 5 is not for u.

Build quality 7/10 I have to say even the nexus 4's build is better in my opinion
Camera 8/10 They say specs is not everything but it definitely matters a lot, nexus 5's 8mp ois camera is good but not great, I still prefer g2's 13mp.
Battery 7/10 The battery is just OK but not wow!! ..g2's battery is better.

Pros

• great performance
  • android kiktat
  • awesome price
  • fast upsates

Cons

• build

speedsypher alternatives:

scsa852k
posted on 05 Nov 2013, 19:23 (Posts: 329; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)

Best Value for high end spec phone.

scsa852k has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Let's face it.
Reason why you buy Nexus devices are
1. Cheap Price
2. Stock Android
3. Latest Android version installed and updates to follow

Nexus 5 ticks all those boxes.
Design actually takes a step back from Nexus 4.
Battery is a disappointment even if I'm not a heavy user.

Having said that, Android 4.4 is very pleasing.
It's noticeably faster than Jelly Bean and I haven't faced a lagging moment so far.

Web browsing is pleasant whether I'm on T-Mo LTE or WiFi.
Screen is much better obviously compared to Nexus 4.

Camera might not be the best in the market, but it gets the job done, and it's a legit upgrade from Nexus 4 as well.

Build quality 8/10 It's well built and feels comfortable in one hand, but design is left to be desired.

Pros

• Android 4.4 Kitkat is cool
  • Great Display
  • Fast UI

Cons

• Design is lackluster
  • No SD Card slot
  • Weak Battery

avasponge
posted on 09 Nov 2013, 13:18 (Posts: 44; Member since: 03 May 2012)

Almost there.

avasponge has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I received the nexus 5 a few days ago and boy was i excited. I opened the box and the feel/ build quality is pretty solid. It doesn't feel like it would slip out of my hands and the size is big but still fits in my hands. The ui is crazy fast with the snapdragon 800 and 2GB of ram. Android 4.4 is a great update from jelly bean. Google Now is substantially better and the new look and feel is nice. The battery is not Galaxy Note 3 or LG G2 quality but, the battery last me a full day with moderate use (internet browsing, some videos, instagram). Its not the best battery but will last you a good bit. The camera is a good update from the nexus 4 and ois is a good addition to video recording (i record videos a lot). The quality is on par with the S4 and the iPhone 5S but nearly not as good as the G2's camera. Overall it is a amazing phone for its price and sacrifces some things for the price mostly camera and battery.
EDIT: After toying with the camera more, its quality is good, 90% of the time. Battery is still the same but screen time with low usage is about 1 hr better than moderate use for me.

Pros

• Sharp display
  • Crazy Fast
  • Price
  • Good Build Quality

Cons

• solid battery life
  • No microSD

avasponge alternatives:

iGeek
posted on 04 Nov 2013, 16:09 (Posts: 171; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)

So much hype, already bored of it after 2 days

iGeek has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I think this phone got so much hype. I payed extra 50 bucks to own it on the first day, yet it was not worth it. It's nothing different from android. Its still the same, we need a refresh something better than Apple's refresh. Come on Google this phone is average and not super. You must have learned from the Nexus 4 more.

Build quality 6/10 I actually like how comfortable it feels in hand, yet it feels cheap, cheaper than the Nexus 4, it feels like holding a piece of recycled plastic that shows every single fingerprint on it. I have to clean my phone every now and then, now people will tell me to put a cover but I hate covers and this build quality is really not so premium and that's a problem
Reception 9/10 I have managed to get full reception in some places. But in other its suddenly terrible yet in most places it did very well so it gets a 9
Call quality 7/10 I have to say that I don't call too much on my phone, but I used hangouts a lot. First microphones are terrible according to my friend on the other side but at least I was able to hear him clearly from his Nexus 4, maybe its a problem with my device.
Internet 8/10 I kinda like the browsing experience but the browser crashes continuously sometimes, which is really annoying and sometimes touch doesn't respond . Other from that every thing is good
Multimedia 9/10 This phone is born to be a multimedia guy, its a beast in here but it has some problems like the speakers which aren't loud enough ,and the music player which is terrible.
Camera 4/10 One Word : Terrible ... It needs a lot of work, all high end phones are better my friends' Note 3 and 5s put this to shame. It's bad compared to high end phones
UI speed 9/10 Fast, Fluid and 4.4 Kitkat is awesome yet the lag is still there
Everyday usage 7/10 An average daily driver
Text input 5/10 I had some multitouch issues and the screen didn't response correctly sometimes, yet it was fine and nice
Display 9/10 One Word : OUTSTANDING I love the display its nothing short of amazing
Battery 4/10 Its very bad and not as advertised. I'm a heavy user it barely completed the 6 hours with me

• Android 4.4
  • Design not Build Quality
  • Smoothness
  • Price

Cons

• No SD

iGeek alternatives: