x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Google Nexus 4 Discussions
  • Options
    Close

The Damning Absence of LTE

COLAPSEDLUNGMAN 30 Oct 2012, 12:03 posted on

I was so excited for the launch of this phone. I had been following rumors for months. I was practically glued to PhoneArena and could barely sleep leading up to 10/29/12 when it was supposed to launch. Despite hurricane Sandy cancelling the formal event the announcement still came. There it was in all it's glory; 1.5 GHz Quad-core, 2 gigs of RAM, Android 4.2, 318ppi, it was so beautiful I nearly shed a tear. Then to my dismay I learned that my tear, were it shed, would have been in vain. An article entitled "No LTE LG Nexus 4 brings Google back to its roots" appeared as suddenly as any blemish does right at the forefront of PhoneArena's newsfeed. My heart was instantly shattered, like Corning Gorilla glass on pavement. Surely this was a mistake, or at the very least an awful awful rumor. I soon learned it was not so. This damning desicion was confirmed out of the lips of Andy Rubin himself. NO LTE. How could he? How could they? I had never felt so betrayed. To think that I, a loyal Google-Vegan (consuming Nexus devices only), would not have access to this newest Jellybean laiden Dessert was hard for me to grasp. I have been patiently looking to the sky with open hands in wait for this golden egg from Google to fall, only to have it turn to a golden turd before landing on my face instead. It is with a heavy heart that I now must wait even longer to wrap my hands around another young, petite and curvy Nexus phone. In the mean time I shall put up with my Galaxy Nexus as one does when they are stuck with the wrong offspring. "Galaxy Nexus, It should have been you playing on the train tracks that fateful night, not Nexus 4! Why can't you be more like your brother was?!" I digress. I am now left with no choice but to purchase the Nexus 10 in his stead and rest my head every night hoping, praying that when I wake a new LTE Nexus will have arrived. Until that day I shall quietly stir and continually ask myself “Why Google?!”

posted on 31 Oct 2012, 20:55 2

1. ivanprskalo (Posts: 105; Member since: 09 Dec 2010)

Come on, your'e exaggerate...
If only LTE is missing then it is not dealbreaker. I mean, how badly you need LTE in your life to be that important feature (if phone has liberality everything else).
If 42Mb/s isn't enough bandwidth then seriously consider other devices or change of bahaviour/habits...
Besides that, what is the damn difference between 24Mbps and 100Mbps?
It's not gonna make your life longer, in case you think so...

posted on 31 Oct 2012, 22:16 1

2. COLAPSEDLUNGMAN (Posts: 16; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)

I am a Verizon subscriber, I would not change my network for the world. The difference between CDMA and LTE is night and day. Even if I could put up with such a downgrade I don't believe the Nexus 4 will be CDMA banded either. In America Verizon has more subscribers than any other carrier, by a lot. Their LTE network is larger than AT&T and Sprints combined, by a lot. Half-way through next year LTE will be everywhere CDMA is in the U.S., which is everywhere. The fact that they would choose not to "future-proof" and pass up such a large customer base (100,000,000+ subscribers) just blows my mind.

posted on 03 Nov 2012, 15:36

3. cretinick (Posts: 147; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)

It's temporary...

Until the end of Q2 and begining of Q3, They will, probably, make a CDMA version, and a 32GB or even a 64GB version.

The LTE I think is more dificult but is possible too.

posted on 03 Nov 2012, 17:44

4. COLAPSEDLUNGMAN (Posts: 16; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)

I seriously doubt they would make a CDMA version without LTE. That would make it the first new 3G smartphone on Verizon since the iPhone 4S (also criticized for not having LTE). It's either going to be both or neither.

posted on 12 Nov 2012, 12:21

5. pranzoi (Posts: 2; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)

hey guyz m from India n ovr here the price of this is gonna b around $480 for 8gb ....m thinking of importing a carrier free model without lte thru a frnd of mine living in michigan as its a lot cheaper.. will i b facing any sort of prob using this imported model in my country..should i go with this ? pls do comment :)

posted on 13 Nov 2012, 07:57

6. favosys (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)

@COLAPSEDLUNGMAN your comment is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. Your problem is not that the Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE, it's that you're on verizon. The Nexus has usually been released as an unlocked phone. How many unlocked phones have LTE? They would have to put in a bunch of different LTE radios in which would be expensive and stupid. Even if it had LTE, what are you going to do? Put a Verizon Sim Card in it? OH WAIT! Verizon doesn't have Sim cards (I know they do for some purposes but you catch my drift). So you can either wait to see if a Verizon (meaning crippled) version is released or you can dump Verizon, get this awesome unlocked phone and use HSPA+ which is practically as fast as LTE. What's the point of LTE in the US? You have like a 2 or 5 Gb limit! There's no point fo having super fast internet if you're gonna reach your cap and be screwed. Get over yourself, get over Verizon and be free.

posted on 13 Nov 2012, 10:10

7. COLAPSEDLUNGMAN (Posts: 16; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)

Not quite as ridiculous as saying HSPA+ is as fast as LTE in the U.S.... Verizon has the best coverage hands down especially when it comes to LTE not to mention the fastest. I wasn't planning on buying an unlocked model, I was hoping it would be launched through the carrier channels as well like the Galaxy Nexus was, which I love. And idk why its a big deal that Verizon doesn't use SIM cards for anything other than 4G since thats what everything is now anyways. And I have unlimited data still and will for some time, so thats not a huge concern of mine either. I would much rather pay the premium for better service on a contract than to get an unlocked phone and put it on some ghetto half-ass prepaid network with a SIM card bought at WalMart.

posted on 14 Nov 2012, 07:22

8. favosys (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)

You're making my exact point, you should've waited for the Verizon version (which may not come or if it comes it will be crippled) instead of whining like a little girl about LTE. Cnet bashed the Nexus 4 for not having LTE and all the comments say HSPA is usually as fast or pretty similar, plus most people don't care about LTE or don't have it in their area. Keep in mind that Verizon will now charge you full price for a phone upgrade if you want to keep that unlimited data plan. Source: reviews.cnet.com/lg-nexus-4/

posted on 16 Nov 2012, 12:08

9. COLAPSEDLUNGMAN (Posts: 16; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)

HSPA+ is hardly comparable to LTE. Everywhere I go I have LTE coverage, plus Verizon will have LTE everywhere their CDMA is now by Q2-Q3 2013. I have to buy devices at full retail regardless so that does not phase me. I would much rather have true 4G and coverage everywhere I go than HSPA+. And I'm not sure what you mean by a crippled version... it's a Nexus device so Verizon can't hardly touch it.

posted on 17 Nov 2012, 06:20

10. favosys (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)

"Verizon can't hardly touch it"

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH that is so cute and naive :)

"Google Admits Verizon Galaxy Nexus Wasn’t A Good Experience

From the very beginning, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus caused problems for Google. First, Verizon delayed the launch of the device until December to promote the Motorola Droid RAZR. Then, it took five months to issue a bug fix update for the phone which was plagued by software issues. In July, Google released Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and Verizon was the last carrier to release the software to its users.

For Google, that just wasn’t the type of experience it wanted from its Nexus devices and ultimately, those mishaps played into the company’s decision to limit the Nexus 4 to HSPA+ and GSM.

Does this mean that we’ll never see another pure vanilla LTE-enabled Nexus? No. But what it does mean is that those looking to get one will likely have to wait at least another year before one arrives"

Source: gotabemobile.com

"Why I'm ditching the Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Once upon a time, Verizon's Galaxy Nexus seemed like the holy grail of mobile technology....

it didn't take long for the first signs of compromise to appear: Just before the phone's release, we learned that Verizon was blocking (er, sorry -- "not blocking but not allowing") Google's NFC-based Google Wallet application on the phone. The carrier was also, we discovered, baking two bloatware-esque Verizon-branded apps into the device. And it was locking down the Android-enabled ability to use the device as a Wi-Fi hotspot, modifying the OS to prompt users for extra money if they tried to toggle on the feature.

But then came the upgrades. Stock software aside, the biggest advantage of a Nexus phone is the guarantee of receiving new upgrades directly from Google as soon as they're released -- a sharp contrast to the wait-and-see game that comes with most manufacturer-designed Android devices. With Verizon's Galaxy Nexus, that promise has gone unfulfilled.

the 4.0.3 release that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus never got and the 4.0.4 release that arrived on the phone a full two months after its launch. With the shiny new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean release now officially out in the wild -- and nowhere near the Verizon phone...

Source: computerworld blog

This thing won't let me post links.

Anyway... keep dreaming if you think you'll ever have a Google experience on Verizon. Just google verizon galaxy nexus (or those titles I put there ) if you want the whole story.

posted on 17 Nov 2012, 10:04

11. COLAPSEDLUNGMAN (Posts: 16; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)

I guess I just never had those issues. I have the Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean and Google Wallet and unlimited data, all on Verizon. I do understand where you are coming from but to date I have not had any of those bad experiences and have had nothing but exceptional service, reception, and data speeds on Verizon. I love Nexus devices, but only on a reliable network. I'll just have to be patient and wait for the next Nexus...

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories