LG Dare User Reviews

figid123
posted on 24 Mar 2011, 19:51

Great Phone, Gonna Miss it :(

figid123 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Love this phone. One of the main features I wanted while looking for a phone was a nice camera, as I am a photographer. So, when i found one with a touch screen, a nice camera, AND an actual headphone jack, I took it. It is an amazing phone, with amazing focus. In good light, it can even take really nice macro shots. On my microSD card, I have about 150 songs and 1540 pics in the highest resolution. The bluetooth works amazingly also. I am going to miss this phone, as I am now switching from Verizon to Sprint. :'(

Build quality 10/10 Only 2 not-so-bad scratches over 2 years
Multimedia 10/10 This phone is
Camera 10/10 AMAZING! This phone began my photography hobby. No one believed that I took them with JUST MY PHONE.
Everyday usage 9/10 Every now-and-then it froze, but thats to be expected after 2 years.
Text input 9/10 It occasionally has a slight delay.

• Doubles as an iPod

Cons

• Pressure sensitive, not touch

Liam
posted on 31 Jan 2011, 03:03

Such an incredible phone!

Liam has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I got this phone in October 2008 and I love it. The moment I got this phone I put a Zagg Invisible Shield on it and that's saved it from countless drops on the ground. I've always had such good call quality and reception with it. The camera could be better, but considering it was made 2 and a half years ago-it's understandable. I honestly don't have one complaint about this phone. I've been holding out for the iPhone to finally come to Verizon and now here it is so it's time to switch. Overall I would definitely recommend this phone to anyone looking for a backup or just a simple usage phone that doesn't need apps or anything.

Build quality 9/10 Very sturdy, especially with an Invisible Shield
Reception 10/10 I could pretty much always make/receive a call anywhere at anytime
Call quality 10/10 I never had a problem trying to hear what the other person was saying.
Internet 9/10 It was good considering the screen size and not being directly built for 3G
Multimedia 10/10 So good on this part. I loved being able to play music and go do other things on my phone at the same time. Multi-tasking! The camera and screen resolution are great too
UI speed 8/10 For when it was made-good
Everyday usage 10/10 I love that I could rely on this phone for something I need everyday. Phone calls, texting, using it as my camera, etc
Text input 9/10 I didn't like the full keyboard too much. They were all too small and close to each other. But the keypad texting worked great for me
Display 10/10 I love the display. Very nice and clean
Battery 8/10 Like all batteries, they tend to die out. I've replaced this battery twice and going through ebay I've only spent $5 on a brand new battery and then the problems fixed for another year.

Pros

• Reception
  • Reliability!
  • You can calibrate touch screen to your liking

Cons

• A bit sluggish at times, but it fixes itself quickly
  • Battery dies out

SUMISH
posted on 03 Jan 2011, 11:41

BETTER THAN NOKIAPHONES

SUMISH has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

nokia sets r so bad because its nothing than friendly my nokia e72 is dead iam using over a year now nokia customercare telling warrenty is over so you should give 5000rs to change its motherboard what the f....k i should give them 5000 in 5000 i can get another nokia .no no nokia is hell and nothing than the worst phone i will go for some others just like lg,samsung or others nokia's camera is nothing it can't even take pictures in bright light. if you r taking pictures in bright light it decreases the light and make picture quality too low when it compare to other companies.so go for others its battery too low just for a day nokia su..................

Pros

• texting
  • internet

• overall su....

LG Dare User
posted on 01 Dec 2010, 15:36

LG Dare Complications

LG Dare User has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This phone has been great until all of the sudden. Suddenly, the phones end send and clear button have been unresponsive. The clear button does not work. I have to take the battery out at least 2 to 7 times a day so the buttons will work again. It locks itself in the middle of texts and when i hit the camera button on the side it goes to my recent calls!

allyowner
posted on 19 Nov 2010, 15:10

Great Little Stylish Phone!

allyowner has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

My mom bought this phone because she wanted a "good phone". Well, it is lightweight, easy-to-use, and I like it! It has a good touchscreen, and is stylish! It is an LG Prada for Verizon Wireless! Too bad it's no longer available for sale! I would buy it!

Build quality 8/10 Scratches easily!
Reception 10/10 Awesome reception!
Call quality 10/10 Awesome, as with most VZW phones!
Internet 10/10 Awesome browser!
Multimedia 10/10 Great features!
Camera 10/10 Great picture quality!
UI speed 8/10 A little sluggish!
Everyday usage 10/10 Awesome!
Text input 6/10 Virtual QWERTY only!
Display 10/10 Awesome!
Battery 10/10 Nice!

Pros

• Nice!

Gaary
posted on 30 Oct 2010, 14:07

LOVE the DARE!!

Gaary has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I've had the Dare since it 1st came out 2 years ago and I'm still finding the amazing things it can do! Today I learned that you can record your phone calls and just like the features it's easy to do! I wanted an I-Phone but since I have Verizon that wasn't an option and I hate AT&T, so the Dare was the next best thing at the time and it still is. I look at it as the I-phone is the MAC of phones but Dare is the PC version. The touchscreen keypad has always worked for me, the camera and sound are great as is the reception/signal and call quality. After 2 years and much use it still acts like it's new, even after dropping it many times. The only issues I ever had was the battery dying (after 2 years so not really a problem) and how it sometimes unlocks by itself and starts making calls/texts/taking pictures by itself but I've had other phones that do this so no big deal either. It's a little slow at times and sometimes the lags frustrate me but I've gotten used them. I've thought about upgrading to a Droid Incredible recently after finding out that the Dare has been discontinued (bummer) but I love this phone so much that I'm holding off for now. All and all, the LG Dare is a great phone - good sound quality, battery life, signal strength, features - it has everything I need and much more...

Pros

• Great sound quality
  • Signal strength - the important stuff for a *phone*...
  • Touch screen works very well
  • Nice features
  • Sleek design

• Unlocks by itself
  • Display screen a little small

tdoggfitz
posted on 21 Oct 2010, 18:11

Well...

tdoggfitz has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Well, I've had this phone for two years now and I just ordered a new one last night. I really wanted to get the Droid X, but I don't want to pay the stupid $30 a month for internet stuff I'll never use, so, I went with the Samsung Reality. Hopefully it'll work out. Anyway, this phone, I love it and hate it. When I first got the phone I remember boasting about it all the time. Everyone thought it was the coolest thing ever because no a touchscreen phone yet. Within the first month, I started having problems though... Whenever I clicked on something, at random times it'd just turn off. I could never change my display settings and I could rarely talk on the phone. After about a month of putting up with this I found an option to reset my settings and that fixed everything except for the calling, which I didn't have a problem with then. I loved and still love the camera on this phone. It had so many megapixels for a phone camera when it first came out and it takes great pictures. Luckily I have an extra 4GB of space on an SD card to save all the pictures I take. Over the next two years it earned its fair share of scratches to the screen and body. Now the lock button is broken, the bottom keys for calling and stuff are almost done too from just wear and tear. I loved this phone except for the texting on the QWERTY keyboard because it was so laggy and the buttons on the screen were kind of small so you'd hit the wrong one all the time. And when trying to send a picture ,video, or recording...

Build quality 9/10 Basically indestructible. I've thrown it at many different surfaces and it still holds up very well.
Reception 9/10 The only time I've EVER lost service was at the top of a mountain.
Call quality 1/10 Ugh...
Internet 7/10 I didn't use the internet too much but when I did it was fast for the most part.
Multimedia 7/10 Once again, never really used it that much
Camera 9/10 I love the camera.

Pros

• Touchscreen
  • Indestructible
  • Lightweight
  • Reception
  • Music Player
  • Texting Using Portrait

Cons

• Talking On the Phone
  • Texting Using QWERTY

Samantha 260115
posted on 10 Sep 2010, 20:12

2.7

Worst phone i have had yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is the worst fone i hav had so far and i hav only had 3 others and i though they were bad. i really regret getting this fone i got it cuz i thought it was cool and i would always joke around with my friends and say dare to touch it. lol like the comercial but it does mess up alot

Pros

• the camera

Cons

• phone calls
  • texting
  • touch screen
  • it deletes songs for no reason.
  • the screen starts to peel after awhile

S.Affinati
posted on 07 Sep 2010, 11:01

My FAVORTIE phone so far!

I've had many phones - clam shells, touch, etc - the LG Dare is my FAVORITE phone so far!  The people that have such negative reviews may have a bad phone - get it replaced while on warranty!  Mine works perfectly.  Our daughter liked it so much, she got one, too.  Hers works perfectly, as well.  I have mine in a case; our daughter usually has hers in her front pocket.  We've had these phones for over a year.Also the people that complain about the touch screen may not have *calibrated* their phone.  It matters!  We read that if you want to text (or otherwise turn the phone to landscape to type with your thumbs) you should calibrate like that - makes sense. I love the tactile feedback, which you can adjust - you can also choose to have audible feedback or not.  Anyway, our daughter texts a lot and she types very fast on this phone - as fast as with her previous phone that had a "non virtual" keyboard.The LG Dare has great sound quality - both ways.  I love the menu system, although I wish there were more shortcuts (ie numbers) once you're inside a feature - but I guess that's what the icons are for.  I'm used to it now and can even get to the right place without looking - it's just a matter of practice.  The music player is a nice addition to my phone - plus I have a rhapsody subscription - awesome!!  I use an 8gb micro card...The other features seem small, but they make me happy - different...

Pros

• Great sound quality, battery life, signal strength - the important stuff for a *phone*...
  • Touch screen works *very well* - just remember to calibrate it.
  • Nice features - love the customization options, such as the shortcut menu and contact favorites.
  • Fun stuff - themes, fonts, music (love my rhapsody!)
  • Power cord and USB in one.

Cons

• Verizon software - should allow more groups, more contacts per group, multiple groups for each contact; should also have included *address* info for contacts.

Jessie1600
posted on 09 Aug 2010, 00:19

2.3

WORST PHONE EVER

I have had this phone for only a couple of months. It turns on and off for no reason, randomly calls people and texts people. The external backlight will turn off and you have to filp it open to use the phone or turn it off and then back on. The clock on the external screen disappears. Today it erased all my downloaded ringtones. It locks up while texting or trying to use the phone for any reason. It does not retain the words you save in T9. If the screen is not completely clean it will click the wrong button. The battery life goes down hill after only a couple of months. It freezes up while using different applications, texting, playing games, looking through contacts, etc. This is the WORST phone I have had in the last 10 years, and there have been many phones in that time. I would not recommend this phone to anyone-not even my worst enemy!

Pros

• NONE

Cons

• Phone Calls
  • Texting
  • Apps
  • Memory
  • Informaiton Retention
  • Random Calls and Texting
  • Freezes Up
  • Doesn't work properly

Triston.Jonsson
posted on 23 May 2010, 01:57

LG Dare

Didn't like this phone at all, would run apps in my pocket, call sombody in my pocket didn't like the design at all, Touch screen *** me off scratches way to easly, really hard to see the screen in the day time but when you droped the thing man its like a tank, i threw the phone across a felid and it hit a pole and the phone worked fine. but the texting on it was horrible. if your going to buy this phone i recommend you don't and i should no because im stuck with the peice of *** till 2012 and if the world ends i don't even get a chance to get rid of this phone.

Pros

• Calling
  • Fast charge
  • Video recorder

Cons

• Texting
  • Touchscreen
  • Accidental calls
  • Accidental app use
  • Phone unlocks in your pocket
  • Touch screen scratches
  • Menu style
  • Didn't use any apps on that phone. no need for them

posted on 27 Jan 2010, 22:52

in my book a Touchscreen Camera

I would give this phone a 100 out of 10 if LG had made the Dare's keyboard a little bit better.  It lags and when i try to type quickly it takes a second for it to type in the letters.  I backspace consistently every text message.  Ive switched to T9 but thats not why i got the phone.  The camera is AMAZING  and i give it a 20 out of 10.  There are so many cool options.  The different ways to customize are great.  Its laggy between menus and the tinyest little thing will dent/ scratch your screen.  Turns on and off all of the time.  Its a sleek phone and i would get it if your the type who likes to take tons of pictures and send it to your social networking site.  I cant tell the difference between which i took with a camera and which with my Dare.  The touch screen is great if you calibrate it right.

Pros

• CAMERA!
  • touch screen (at times)
  • call quality
  • features

Cons

• keyboard
  • delicateness
  • anything to do with texting

posted on 24 Jan 2010, 08:30

This phone is the older version of the LG Chocolate Touch (VX-8575), and my mom has this phone. This phone doesn't perform as well as it, though. The virtual QWERTY keyboard is easy to type on, however, this phone unlocks itself frequently, causing frequent accidental calls. It has excellent voice quality, though. Also, the touch screen locks up frequently, mostly while you're texting, and this is a big problem to my mom, since she likes phones that "work". I wouldn't recommend this phone, but if a firmware update ever becomes available, maybe I will. This phone is recommended to people who really don't care about their phone locking up, which is pretty much nobody. I don't like this phone as much as I do my LG Chocolate Touch (VX-8575).

Pros

• -Good Virtual QWERTY Keyboard

Cons

• -Locks Up
  • -Accidental Calls A Problem

Ed
posted on 06 Jan 2010, 07:56

Battery life

I dont know if anyone else has this problem i charge the battery make 1 phone call and its dead
 I tried to turn off and recharge and this doesnt work well either, This is a disappointment as i like the phone but to have to replace the battery with only 1 year on it is truely a let down

Kaitlyn N.
posted on 04 Jan 2010, 14:28

LG DARE :)

I liked the phone, the camera is amazing, sometimes it is touchy and unlocks itself, but overall i think its the best touch screen phone ive seen so far.  Its quite durable too, for as much as ive dropped it and everything, its still in good condition. I am very disappointed to see it be discontinued.  I was planning to buy another one, if something ever happened to the one i have, its too bad I wont be able to.

Pros

• I love the camera, it exts well and pretty easy to use and its quite durable for a touch screen phone.

Cons

• It can be touchy and sometimes unlocks itself.

posted on 29 Dec 2009, 13:51

Pretty Good.

I got Dare in Sept 2008. The design is simple and elegant. It's not bulky. I love the camera. However, the touch screen isn't that sensitive. If you don't have nails, then it'll be a problem for you to text and type; I don't mind it, but I know some people may mind. Also, it unlocks by itself sometimes if it's in my purse, pocket or backpack. Yet, the battery lasts a long time. I remember I didn't have charge it for a week, and it still had half battery. It isn't out of this world, but it's easy to use and I haven't had any problems with it.

• simple design
  • easy to use

Cons

• unlocks by itself sometimes
  • touch screen not sensitive (need nails to type)

mikevs
posted on 21 Nov 2009, 14:35 (Posts: 0; Member since: 21 Nov 2009)

1.3

Complete junk

Everything. This phone is basically a regular phone with a touch screen. The phone has no features. This is my second dare and this phone keeps unlocking it self and calls random people on my contact list. The phone will turn on on its own inside my pocket or bag. The texting is horrible and is unresponsive. I am glad this phone is discontinued. Now people will not have to deal with all these problems and get other nice phones Verizon has to offer.

Pros

• Nothing

Cons

• Unlocks even with lock on inside pocket or bag
  • Turns on on its own
  • Calls random people on contact list
  • Has very limited features
  • Texting is unresponsive

kfelao576
posted on 18 Nov 2009, 18:39 (Posts: 0; Member since: 05 Jul 2008)

Awesome Phone

This phone is GREAT! I had this phone for more than a year and I am very pleased by its large display, camera, and its amazing abilities. The beauty of the phone is another thumbs up. One minor issue though is the keyboard, it is a little hard to type at first but later on, you get used to it. It definitely isn't the kind of phone you would want if you are one of those hardcore texters. Also, the music quality of this phone is very crisp and I thought it was one of the best multimedia devices out there. Too bad this phone is discontinued. :-(

Pros

• Beautiful Design
  • Great Touchscreen
  • Good Camera

Cons

• Texting

Bill Haynes
posted on 14 Nov 2009, 12:37

I have had this phone for over a year now.  I have had a number of phones over the years and this is the best phone I have ever owned.  My battery last for 5 days between chargings.  The camera is easy to use and view pictures.  Texting is easy to read and delete more then one text at a time like some phones.  I put a protective clear cover over the screen and never had a problem with scratching.  I found a blackberry leather case that fits it perfectly so that helped to protect it also.  I would recommend this phone to anyone looking for a good phone.

Pros

• Nice size screen
  • Easy to read texting
  • Good camera
  • Long battery life

LGDareowner
posted on 09 Nov 2009, 03:30

2.3

LG Dare Usb Modem Driver Software Download

My sister bought the Verizon LG Dare,looks really nice,all aspects of Functional is great.i just downloaded some music files,but don't know where to download the usb modem driver,so good luck!fortunately for me found a unofficial verizon phone blog offering the Verizon LG Dare usb modem driver download,now i share it here.hope this is useful!Verizon LG Dare Usb Modem Driver Software Downloadhttp://www.verizon-cellphone.org/verizon-lg-dare-usb-modem-driver-software-download.html/

posted on 18 Oct 2009, 14:51

Before this phone I had the LG Voyager, I loved the setup, it was stylish and the touch screen. After a while the phone started turning off and not charging right then the touch screen went black. Last, it turned off and wouldn’t turn on again! So I bought the LG Dare and without a doubt this is the best phone I have ever had. The touch screen is very user friendly and not hard to use. I love texting on it, the camera is great, the music player is phenomenal and everything about it is great! I have not had any problems with this phone. I recently bought a case for it and there was a HUGE variety! This is the best phone I have ever had! I love it!

Pros

• Texting is great, wide variety of cases, easy to personalize, user friendly!

Cons

• None, really!

joshuaaaa
posted on 13 Oct 2009, 18:11

amazzing

mk, so i had this phone earlyier this year and decided that i didnt like the fact it didnt have a keyboard and was too hard to text. so i went to the voyager for about 7 months and then the charging port broke. my cousin had a dare and switch to at&t for an iphone so she sent it to me and i love it more because i did research and this one had an update which is called vx970V06, i have NO problems texting on the touchscrean now and im keeping this phone until my comtract is up fusure!!! so if you dont have the V06 software get it!!!! :) (if you wanna check to see what update you have go to settings and tools go phone info and the go to sw/hw version and its the first thing)it includes 3.2 megapixle camera and its really good. plus you can edit them and draw on them. the vibrate is alittle weak but you get used to it and youll notice it. batterylife starts to wear down too, my cousin had his for about 9 months before he gave it to me and its alot shorter than my moms is. also i dropped it in the toilet like a week after i got it and it suprisingly still works!! so its pretty tough besides the end button is wearing down.

Pros

• update
  • slim
  • touchscreen

Cons

• battery wears down
  • gets scratched and dinged up easy

posted on 25 Sep 2009, 12:39

....

I had this phone for over a year now and it's been okay. I like it and alll, but I just hate the fact that when I'm on the internet it shut off. Also, when I'm texting, it takes tooo long for the "message sent" (I've timed it and it's been like a minute or so) screen to come off. When it comes off, the person I'm texting usually wrote back and it just gets frustrating. When I'm talking on the phone, it tends to become hot after not too long of a use.

G
posted on 24 Sep 2009, 05:44

A Smart Feature Phone...

I picked up my LG Dare last year in October when they were 1st released. I've had the orignal phone and have taken it into Verizon to have the firmware upgraded on occassion. The most useful parts of this phone are the camera; 3.2 Mp (one of the 1st on the market) and the video capabilities (regular and slow-motion; as well as on-the-phone editing); the web browser is simple; but enuff for posting updates to facebook and emailing on Gmail. The phone has quite a bit of customization that can be done on the desktop; you can place your most used "apps" on the dsektop and arrange them however you like. The screen is resistive; NOT capacitive so texting can be a frustrating experience if you get ahead of the phone. But all in all the on-screen keyboard is fairly accurate. Overall; I've been very pleased with this phone and will hang onto it till Big Red releases thier Android phones. I def recommend this phone for video and pix; as well as limited web surfing. Hardcore texters would be better off with a physical keyboard; but if you text every once in a while this should meet your needs.

Pros

• Camera; Video (Slo-Mo & editing); Web Browser. Menu navigation is seamless and easy to learn. Having favorite contacts makes texting and calling easier.

Cons

• Resistive screen is not as accurate as capacitive. No apps.

moochieee
posted on 20 Sep 2009, 00:58

Not the best phonee..

I've had this phone for a long time now. Over a year. This phone was the best phone ever for the first, lets say, month. This phone made me hate touch full touch screen phones. It's an alright phone, don't get me wrong, but I get this weird ticking noise when I'm on the phone with someone, and it restarts on me all the time. Sometimes, when the screen goes black, I can't get it to light up again. The touch screen stops working all the time. And I hate that I can't feel buttons anymore, though the vibrations do help with that. The battery life started depleting after the first couple months, and I don't like that it gets super hot when I'm talking on the phone. It forgets my words on T9 all the time. I have to make it relearn things every day, and it changes from t9 to ABC all the time. Overall, it's an okay phone, just not the best.