Casio G'zOne Commando 4G LTE User Reviews

Camera9.5/10
Multimedia9.5/10
Everyday usage9.5/10

talentonly
posted on 26 Jul 2013, 09:52 (Posts: 1; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)

2013 Casio Commando 4g LTE

talentonly has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

First off, I'm not a forum guru but I'm from neanderthal when it comes to reviews. This is my opinion one of the best pieces of consumer tech to come out in years. Asian cell phone markets have been a semi-test bed for phones similar in concept, and while they have reflected a strong interest in waterproofing electronics, no phone released elsewhere has been quite as well put together as the commando. The fact that it has received little publicity in the shadow of S4 active is sad. Probably this is due to the fact that the name isn't catchy enough and way too long. Casio as a company has been mediocre and dropping the ball across the board for awhile. But let's put all that aside for a minute and look at just this phone. You can read specs for yourself, I'm not a salesman, all I can say is that the phone does everything described on paper and more. For me, the software and hardware are sufficient for anything that you would want to do on a phone.

I've had this phone for a little over amonth. I've beat the living snot out of it. Every phone I've ever owned has needed an insurance plan to keep up with my lifestyle (and yes I got a plan for this phone too, although it may not need it). If you need a prissy phone that takes good self-portraits, your out of luck here. If you need a phone that blasts your favorite music while enjoying a shower beer, you've struck gold. In the rain, in the sun, thrown into pools, dropped from ledges this thing is still kicking strong.

Here's my list...

Battery 7/10 Not going longer than 24hrs without a charge with minimal use is bad for an 'outdoor' phone.

hltechie
posted on 24 Jul 2013, 08:40 (Posts: 88; Member since: 08 May 2009)

Excellent Durable Phone! Battery could be better

hltechie has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I got this phone the second day it came out. I have always been looking for a durable phone like this one, when I switched from Sprint to Verizon I was interested in the Casio G'zOne Commando but the data speed would have been too slow for when I needed. What I was looking for was a phone with built in apps I like and to be durable for outdoor activities. This phone fit what I needed. Honestly it is an outdoors enthusiasts dream. The Commando 4G provides great data speeds, fast UI, and great built in apps. The G'z Gear comes with a built in compass, thermometer, pedometer, and barometer (the gear also provides an app for tides, star map, and sun/moon reading). Over all the phone is standard Android OS 4.0 with a bit of Casio UI built in (mainly, your lock screen is a compass). So over all the build quality is amazing, I feel safe dropping this phone on concrete and into a pool with no worries. Web browsing is great but did not come with Google Chrome built in. I really only use Google chrome so I can't say must much about the stock web browser. My only real complaint about the phone in the battery like. It's kinda pitiful. The battery on average will get me through the day but just barely. If I start using the phone too heavily the battery drains very very quickly. I am looking into getting either an extended battery for the phone or some kind of external battery.

In summary if you are looking for a phone that can take any kind of beating and/or you are an outdoor enthusiast,...

Build quality 10/10 This is probably the most durable the best build phone I have ever owned.
Reception 10/10 Excellent, no complaints
Call quality 10/10 Very loud and clear.
Internet 9/10 Weird built in browser. Currently using Google Chrome (download)
UI speed 9/10 Quick but can be slightly laggy when scrolling
Display 8/10 I have seen better displays on the market but this one does the job and doesn't look bad.
Battery 7/10 The battery could be better, it does last me a full day but just barley. When I use the phone heavily the battery really drains quickly. I'm looking into an extended battery or external battery options.

Pros

• Waterproof, dust proof, everything proof
  • Very durable
  • Great built in apps (G'z Gear: compass, pedometer, thermometer, tides, sun/moon, star gazer, and barometer)

Cons

• battery could be better
  • laggy when scrolling (sometimes)

hltechie alternatives: