BlackBerry Tour 9630 User Reviews

Everyday usage7.5/10

JustinDuckett
posted on 04 Aug 2009, 15:30

Amazing Phone

In the past i have always stuck with windows mobile phones and probably never would have switched to blackberry if it wasn't for the touch pro from verizon. Which i went through 6 in a month and now i have switched to the tour and love it theres no freezing the phone runs like a dream i have never have to restart it either. along with the website crackberry i couldn't like a phone anymore then i like this one its perfect.

Pros

• qwerty keyboard
  • speed
  • design
  • ease of use

Cons

• restarting and turning on which takes forever but once started it works like a dream

Randy
posted on 02 Aug 2009, 22:41

Love the Tour!

The tour is my first Blackberry. I love it! I had two Palm Treo's with Palm OS in the past, then the XV6800 (Windows Mobile) prior to the Tour. I always loved my Palm OS phones. I hated Windows Mobile from the beginning and will never have it again. I am addicted to and absolutely love the Tour! It is so nice to sync without problems and in seconds! Windows Mobile was continually causing problems. The screen on the Tour is fantastic. The Web browsing is better. Overall I trust it's performance. I love how fast I get and send my email on Balckberry. I am much more available to my clients now! I have had it around 2 weeks now and cannot put it down. Yes it has kind of short battery life, but if you give it a chance to get broken in and change some settings to reduce battery drain it is not bad. Also, Wifi would be a plus, but in 1 year on my Windows mobile that had Wifi, I only used it once. So I won't really miss it. THis is by far Verizons best phone right now!

Pros

• Just about everything!

Cons

• Battery life, No WiFi, odd placement for the charging port.

musiqlives
posted on 02 Aug 2009, 02:24 (Posts: 4; Member since: 21 Nov 2008)

The Smart Device For the Smartest Of Them All

I have been a WinMo user for about four years now. Having used it so long I kind of got used to expecting my device to run real slow & eventually crap out on me... at least once a day. My best friends all have been using BlackBerry devices for a long while now. So, I decided to jump on the bandwagon! I tell you what... its been a great ride so far. This device is so much faster that my HTC Touch Pro that eventually pissed me off to the point of no end! When I received it last Friday it pretty much activated its self with a little help from my service provider. My favorite thing about this device is how clear the speaker phone is. It sounds so amazing. Even at a very low volume it picks up your voice very well. The multimedia app allows you to shift through all your pictures, music & movies with a few swipes of the thumb. The option to completely customize your menu is so comforting. If you don't like clutter, its as simple as hiding, moving or even deleting the tiles and/or folders you what to get out of the way. Just like all BlackBerry's the email service is like none other. Super easy to set up & is pushed directly to your phones inbox. The only reason I did not give this device full 10's all the way across the board is because RIM could have done a lot better with the SMS layout. Tethered chat style SMS is the only real way to go these days. If you need to hold on to important messages for a while, its so much easier to be able to click on a persons name &...

Pros

• Great screen resolution, Faster than previous BlackBerry models, Great speaker that's loud enough to hear in the noisiest of places, Multimedia app is good enough to actually keep & fun to use, Battery life isn't bad either

Cons

• No tethered Messaging for text or email

daron
posted on 27 Jul 2009, 19:23

1st Blackberry

Wow this is my first Blackberry and i love it . I switched from a Treo 755P and it took a minute to get use to it but I do like it .

Pros

• Nice Pictures
  • Easy to use
  • Clear screen
  • nice ball movement
  • easy to formate
  • who cares about wi fi you have to have the online pk

Cons

• Charger is in a crazy spot

C L
posted on 26 Jul 2009, 15:36

I got my BB Tour just two days ago.Had it plugged in last night, battery got really hot...then this morning it just stopped working altogether.My short lived BB.I'm upset

Zippo
posted on 23 Jul 2009, 19:37

My first Blackberry and it's great

The Tour is my first Blackberry (BB), so much of my plaudits will apply to other BB phones, and to other sophisticated PDA's (never had a PDA before either).
I've had it since it was intro'd.  I like the easily customizable settings, and the intuitive way the menu system is arranged.  I like the form factor, it's easy to hold and type on.  I have rather large fingers, and I can usually type without error (ie most always get the character I want) on this phone.
In anticipation for getting this phone for my small business, I setup a 'hosted' Blackberry Enterprise Server system, and Outlook 2007 w/hosted Exchange, and getting the phone to work with it was very simple, took about 90 seconds.   It is essential to me to have not only my email but my contacts and calendar automatically synchronize wirelessly, which works perfectly.
The camera works well enough, but I wish I could *manually* crop pictures from within the phone. It also does decent video as well.
I've used Verizon for many years, and the phone works in all the places I expect it to, signal-wise, with maybe a bar more in some marginal spots better than my old Motoloa Krazr.
Some have commented negatively on battery life, I have been 'messing with the settings' so much every day, I don't feel like I've really had a 'normal' business day with so far....with that caveat, the battery life bar shows about 1/2 discharged after such an intensive-use day.
About my only serious...

Pros

• *Very* intuitive menu system, consistent
  • Great form factor
  • *Hosted* BES/Exchange/Outlook compatible
  • Can customize it to your heart's content (well almost)
  • Good audio quality
  • Great screen

Cons

• No WiFi
  • Moronic placement of charging connection

Mr Bob
posted on 23 Jul 2009, 14:26

Blackberry Tour is a fine upgrade

Have had the Tour since the 12th. The migration from my 8330 was seemless. Screen is great. Fast. Keyboard is great. Battery life is fine. Either I got a good one or else you got a bad one. I am not sure what others are complaining about. If you got a bad phone exchange it. All models of every manufacturer has issues. All the LG's in my home have battery, shutting off issues. Just deal. I haven't had to do a battry pull yet at all. The unit feels great in the hand. Real solid. My only major complaint is that it isn't so one handed. Need to go through alot of menus. I am looking for a solid quick launch program.

Pros

• Screen.
  • Keyboard.
  • Battery.
  • Solid build.
  • Speaker.
  • EVDO- Rev A

Cons

• No Wifi. Can live without it. That will kill your battery for sure.
  • Placement of micro USB.
  • Not many themes.
  • No so one handed.

posted on 23 Jul 2009, 00:08

1.7

I HAD IT TOURING BACK TO VERIZON! DO NOT GET THIS PDA!

I could not wait to get my hands on this PDA. But once I did, I had it Touring back to Verizon Wireless. This phone is a "Storm" with a QWERTY keyboard. I had the Tour for a little over a week, and returned it today. It froze, the key lock would activate without even being touched. It lags just like the storm. It would restart randomly. I would wait for Blackberry to get it right. It's really sad that the Curve 8330 is a better model.

BlackberryUser
posted on 18 Jul 2009, 19:44 (Posts: 609; Member since: 26 Jun 2009)

Blackberry Tour, a welcome release for the business users

I bought this phone to release my Storm which I wasn't overly impressed with.  I've heard both good and bad reviews of the Storm, but in my opinion it's not a business phone.  Either way, to review the Blackberry Tour.
My first impression of the Blackberry Tour was great.  The phone feels solid, yet not bullky or over weight.  I like the sleek design and raised keys.  I held this phone next to the Tmobile 8900 as I feel this is the best comparison other then possibly the Bold.  The Tour is very comparable without WiFi.
The phone is very responsive, no annoying lag during requests.  The camera functions as you would expect and keyboard is easy to use either one handed or two handed.  I rarely hit the wrong key due to the new key design.
For anybody looking for a business phone, I highly recommend this phone.  I feel it's the best phone offered to day 7/18/09 for business purposes.  I expect company's to adopt this as the standard business Blackberry until the next latest and greatest Blackberry is released.
I multitask constantly on my Blackberry and this phone has been able to keep up so far.
Personal Preference: I bought the plastic holster for the phone, I'm not a big fan of the leather holsters.  They aren't as easy / smooth to get your phone in and out when you look at it 100 times a day (I receive a lot of emails).

Pros

• Quick processor
  • Easy to use trackball (doesn't seem to stick like previous models)
  • Sleek design
  • Raised keys
  • Sturdy design without being bulky

Cons

• No WiFi
  • I liked the old design of plastic holsters better then the current design with a clip on top, although I understand the need for the change.

Peoples Hernandez
posted on 17 Jul 2009, 13:49

The Tour!!!

I had the Curve for Sprint and the Tour is a complete upgrade. The clarity, video, pictures and just the interface is just simply better. I have better connectivity and the web browsing is better. I have access to web pages i couldnt really access in full before. Plus now I can MMS pictures, which I couldnt do b4 on the Curve. The BBM is also configured and looks better.
Even tho the Blackberry App world was accessible on the curve, it just looks better in the Tour.
Only thing I have a problem with is the battery life - a tad short. Have to keep the charger or car charger with you! I used to carry a spare battery with my curve and I see I might have to go back to that with the Tour. but other than that, I am a happy camper!
I also had a tad freeze up here and there but nothing significant. This is my 3rd or 4th upgrade with blackberry since their old Nextel phone. I would never leave Blackberry life - it is truly a Crackberry.....

• shape
  • Clarity
  • Apps

Cons

• Battery life is a little short.
  • Hip case - prefer the curve case instead (Sleek)
  • The charging port location - cant charge and text (Akward)

J Mas
posted on 17 Jul 2009, 13:34

great phone, bad battery

I was very excited about this phone, and anticipated its release date. Finally I got it, used it, and was very disappointed with the battery life. Comparing the actual text, call, and web usage, the battery life is half of the LG Dare. Also the tool CD included does not work. There is also some lag occasionally.  I'm considering returning it, and getting my dare back. On the up side the b is small but works well. The camera is good and ringer is loud, but there is no ring and vibrate at the same time unless you download the app. You can really customize the phone, but may have to download many apps that should have already been included.

• Resolution
  • Features

Cons

• Battery, batt...,ba...,b....
  • No ring and vibrate at the some time
  • Occasional lag

Eipee73
posted on 16 Jul 2009, 05:27

Great Blackberry, Highly Recommended

I have had the phone since it was released.  I think the navigation is easy on it (much better than previous BlackBerry UI's).  I do find that sometimes things can run a little slow, nothing like the Storm, but locking the keyboard or typing in Pandora can take up to 7 seconds from time to time, but this is usually not the case.  I personally am not a fan of Windows Mobile so this suits my overall needs.
The application center for BlackBerry's is not as robust as something you would find for the iPhone, but overall the majority of apps for BlackBerry's are relatively useful.
Overall I would say this is the best smartphone out there for Verizon at this time.

Pros

• Great User Interface
  • Improved Keyboard Feel / Ease of Use
  • Sleek Look
  • Good Browser
  • World Capable
  • BES Capable
  • Useful Applications

Cons

• No WiFi
  • Shorter Battery Life Than Expected
  • Some Lag From Time to Time
  • Vibe Then Ring instead of Vibe And Ring

Brianna
posted on 12 Jul 2009, 20:39

i have only had the tour for a few hours and i love it. I used to have the motorolla q 9m and it is such a huge upgrade. let's just say it is almost exactly like the storm but without the touch function.

Buy This Phone