BlackBerry Storm 9530 User Reviews

UI speed5.3/10
Camera6.3/10
Multimedia4.8/10

Fortypopper
posted on 24 Oct 2012, 15:02 (Posts: 0; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)

Beware

Fortypopper has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone was aweful. I couldnt wait to get rid of it. I will never buy a blackberry again. The inteface lagged and it constantly locked up. I was always rebooting. Coverage was spotty... may have partially been verizons network as well.

• Interface lag

KK
posted on 25 May 2011, 04:07

Storm Floats

KK has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Nice, and sturdy BB. My first BB and it was awesome.
After software updates, it really storming my cell phone experience.
Nice, and sturdy BB. My first BB and it was awesome.
After software updates, it really storming my cell phone experience.Nice, and sturdy BB. My first BB and it was awesome.
After software updates, it really storming my cell phone experience.

theJATM
posted on 04 Jan 2011, 15:58 (Posts: 0; Member since: 04 Jan 2011)

average at best

theJATM has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Before the 5.0 update, I have no had a more useless handset. Since the upgrade, less freezing, still some hesitation at times. I have had to replace the phone 4 times since i purchased it nearly 2 years ago. Camera could be better, but probably pretty good for its inception.

kevin
posted on 30 Oct 2010, 21:42

Worst "phone" ever

kevin has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I've had this "phone" for almost the full two years with Verizon. I get a update in Jan. 2011. Well lets get started. The reason I call a "phone" because basically this thing is a fricken paper weight. It's extremely slow. I mean extremely. When I text people sometimes it gets so far behind it skips some words completely. Example": The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" would come out as "The quick brown foxnjumps la y dog" Why some spaces between words you ask? Because the touch screen sucks. The keys are extremely slow and very small. Also BlackBerry App World doesn't even open, it downloads but won't open. Right now I don't have the time to tell you all the issues. but I suggest stay very far away from this paper weight.

Pros

• Very nice display especially in sunlight. No glare.
  • Battery is good for a while but it gets noticeably worse
  • The reception is good as well call quality is ok

Cons

• Everything else not mentioned

Vincenio
posted on 05 Oct 2010, 00:56

2.3

This phone is terrible

Freezes very often even with v5.0.  Laggy as hell. Slow response to most thing.  Constantly seeing "thinking" imagine on screen so that you can't do anything.  Worse phone ever.  Touch screen with gaps a huge dust collector.

Triflyer12
posted on 18 Jun 2010, 00:56 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Jun 2010)

Storm with 5.0 OS is amazing!

I have been using this phone for a while now and have read most every review before deciding on it.  This device gets many mixed comments and since I've been using it I've decided that most of the negative ones had to have been from people who didn't take the time to learn the phone and got frustrated with it quickly.  I have had a pearl, a curve and, to compare, have an itouch.  Starting off by comparing to the previous blackberries I've owned, this one takes the cake.  When it comes to texting, knowing how to text with the pearl's modified QWERTY is the best way to text with the storm.  While the full QWERTY is there using the accelerometer, the modified is much faster.  Texting, emailing, etc was where I was most worried about getting a touch screen, and this phone has passed up my expectations.  Not only that, but when upgrading to the 5.0 OS it all becomes even better and more compact.  I like the tactile feel of the touch screen personally, and while I know that is a personal opinion, I would put it against that of the itouch.  As far as media goes, I would agree completely with the people on phonescoop.  This phone has great media...the camera is lagging but is passable...but as far as music, display, etc goes, this phone is great.  As far as the business side goes-this is a blackberry, and it is very hard to find many phones that have better connectivity and are more productive in the work world.  Everything...

Pros

• -Quick Texting for a Touch Screen
  • -Great for business...organization and connectivity are great
  • -Amazing multimedia
  • -Quick and responsive
  • -5.0 OS has fixed many of the bugs

Cons

• -Camera Lagging

BrandenGump
posted on 02 Dec 2009, 14:00 (Posts: 3; Member since: 02 Dec 2009)

Well...

Simply stated the 5.0 update makes all the difference. Everyone knows this phone is famous for freezing and hesitance, however, the amount of said issues hasnt happend to me since the 5.0 update. Know how to cear your cache, do a battery pull maybe once a week. Dont bog it down with useless stuff. And this phone will perform for you. My only issue is the occasional studder when going from Lock-Unlock. If you can get this phone cheap, its worth it. Otherwise, the Storm2 is the bees knees.

Pros

• Bright Flash, Its a Blackberry, Consolidated messaging, decent applications,

Cons

• Not a free based operating system. Not what you want if youd rather have android. Not even the same ballpark.

posted on 29 Nov 2009, 00:56

1.7

till this day i dont understand why the user ratings are so high on this phone. this phone deserved the 6 that phonearena gave it.  i just got the storm 2 today and its flawless! the picture i uploaded is CURRENT to reviews on this phone. and out of 11,000 people who have had this phone i totally agree  why it got a 3for5. even after 5.0 update

Pros

• none. i hated this phone

Cons

• flash broke
  • speed
  • EVERYTHING! i cant txt as fast as i want!

david jkl
posted on 26 Nov 2009, 23:23

it works for me

I really don't see the problems other people are having with the Blackberry Storm.  It is amazing in every aspect.  I have one complaint and its the fact that my battery only lasts one day, but for all of the features, I really can't complain.  The apps for the Storm make it even more enjoyable.  After having the Versa for 5 months and upgraded to this makes it a huge advantage on my part.  Thank you to RIM for making an amazing phone.

Pros

• the click screen. and the multi-function

Cons

• the battery can always be longer, but its not bad

mike 121
posted on 26 Nov 2009, 23:19

what an amazing phone

this phone has been good to me and it looks better than my friends at&t phone. my only problem is the battery life, but then again i have 3 batteries for it with an external  charger and that solved it for me.  the storm was my first blackberry and i must say i cant wait to get the storm 2 but im in no rush because this one gets the job done. the screen looks amazing, the sound it amazing, the feel is cheap at times but still it clicks so that make it amazing hands down. the black berry storm is a great phone.

Pros

• nice image, fast web, does alot at once

chester foster
posted on 26 Nov 2009, 23:13

i love this phone

i real like this phone because it looks good and it works great.. yes it freezes and the click screen acts up but nothings is perfect. i use to hate the phone but after the updat i love it.. and i use it for everything. the internet is fast, i love the new flowing txt system and the email is on point.

Pros

• fast internet, large screen, long battery life.

Cons

• the screen moves from side to side, cant txt fast

posted on 16 Oct 2009, 20:37

awesome phone

the phone is awesome.......i love everything about it..........there are a lot of haters out there but either they should not have got a touch screen, dont understand how to use the phone properly, or i got the only good one......lolthe phone has good battery life when setting are set righti think people would rather just blame the phone rather than admit they need help using it

Pros

• screen, its a blackberry, web surfing, takes good pics, email, tons of apps

Cons

• vibrate mode very weak

GotGTI
posted on 20 Sep 2009, 17:02 (Posts: 0; Member since: 20 Sep 2009)

had mine since Feb 2009, I've had no problems with mine with the exception of the old .75 software which went bye bye with in week 1 of ownership and was updated as leaks came out. I've really enjoyed this phone but the touch screen could be a little better, i can't type as fast as i'd like because i'm waiting on the screen, other than this i really really like this phone alot, i look forward to Storm 2.  p.s. this thing is a tank, it fell off of my car going 50mph and was only a little bruised but still functions perfectly.

Pros

• Solid physical build
  • Doesn't feel cheap and plasticy
  • Fits good in the hands
  • QWERTY keyboard (landscape mode) if more accurate than iPhone
  • AF 3.2MP
  • etc

Cons

• SurePress screen for typing, other than this, it's good.

samanthajd
posted on 16 Sep 2009, 18:02

loving it so far

i  just got it yesterday it look me awhile to get used to the menus and stuff cuz ive never had a blackberry b4 but so far after like a day or so i love it i hade a voyager b4 this and eh not to fond of that phone now after all my problems with it

Pros

• not sure but almost everything to me

Cons

• its a bit to loud for me but what ever it freezes once in awhile and it always beeps at my for no reason but im gonna go talk to someone and see y it does that but nothing that bugs me to much those few problem i dont mind at all

posted on 16 Sep 2009, 15:06

this phone cannot compete with the iphone, g1, or samsung omnia. but it does have a cool and kiddy clicking screen. this is not the best phone for a business user. better off with a blackberry tour or a htc device.

Pros

• screen resolution
  • screen size
  • surepress screen
  • metal backing
  • keyboard

• internet browsing

Micheal
posted on 27 Jul 2009, 19:52

Nice Blackberry

Had this phone for 7 months tried the leaks am now using .148 and this phone works great no restarts no freezing this phone just works for me.Gonna try the Storm 2 at the end of the year... who knows might be my new phone but will still keep my trusty first storm for backup.hehehehe!!!!!

Pros

• email web browsing not having to lug my laptop on vacation!!!call clarity etc ect

Cons

• battery life 1 to 2 days tops

PokeFanaticJosh
posted on 25 Jul 2009, 13:11 (Posts: 8; Member since: 23 Feb 2009)

Blackberry Storm = Epic Win

Pros

• Applications
  • Touch Screen
  • Music Player
  • 3.5 mm headset jack
  • Speed = Majorly fast.

AnnoyedBBUser
posted on 26 Jun 2009, 14:24

Blackberry Storm, a Blackberry not for business

I purchased this phone a few months ago after talking to quite a few people who had purchased it.  I saw in all the reviews that it got a bad rap, but I thought people may be too critical of the phone.  I'm very knowledgable about Blackberry's and this isn't my first Blackberry.
After purchasing the phone I started finding out how valid all the complaints were.  After a few weeks the texting / typing had grown on me.  After a month or so I started to hate it again.  The sound quality of the phone is so bad, everyone always says I'm mumbling.  It's got to the point that I carry a second dumb phone with me to forward my voice to.
As for email, the phone has a lot of glitches.  You change from portrait to landscape and it may work perfectly.  Other times I've found that it will take some time to swtich or not switch at all.
The latest update has made a huge improvement in the speed and made me happy for about a day and then I realized I still hated the phone.  I've contemplated adding another line just to get a different Blackberry, because this phone is just not business friendly.
Most of the people in my company use the Blackberry Curve, but a few of us have Blackberry Storms.  Across the board everyone with a Blackberry Storm has stopped replying to 90% of their emails on their Blackberry, because it's not convenient.  The original complaint was the clicking screen, that's not an issue at all.  It's the size of the...

Pros

• Video Play Back, 8gb SDCard, Multimedia functions

Cons

• Email, Typing, Text, Phone / Voice Quality, Internet Browsing, Contacts, Business Functions, etc...

posted on 26 Jun 2009, 01:02

I HATE THIS PHONE!

even after the freaking update, it still freezes. its slow. i cant multitask at all!!! i just hate it!

Pros

• it just looks kool

• multi tasking
  • SPEED
  • and the most annoying thing, trying to txt in portrait mode!!!!!!

iamjdf
posted on 24 Jun 2009, 11:11

.148

What a difference 4.7.0.148 makes in the way this device functions now all rim needs to add is a full flash player so i can have hulu and others like it

Pros

• for those who do not like a traditional touch sceen this is the way to go

Cons

• no flash player no reliable voip app (eg) skype

scstormguy
posted on 21 Jun 2009, 23:10

Awesome Phone

What an incrdable device this is. This phone is severly misunderstood and underrated. For all those that bash the clickable touchscreen i dont know why? It does take some getting used to, but what new phone doesnt? I have owned quite a few touch screen phones from vzw such as the voyager and xv6900 both of which did not have the best touchscreens, but this one takes the cake. It actually works every time. The only complaint i have is the suretype is a little buggy is standard orientation and the full qwerty is to small in standard orientaion, but portrait is perfect. I would consider myself a heavy data and messaging user and the touchscreen does not slow me down. The internet on this screen is awesome. its like browsing in HD. the blackberry messenger is nicely updated for this and a great feature i can not live without. All in all this is a great device.

Pros

• Clickable touchscreen
  • v-cast with rhapsody
  • push email from blackberry
  • blackberry messenger

Cons

• small keyboard in standard orientation

Storm Owner 08
posted on 08 Jun 2009, 08:52

Upgradeed Software

I think the phone is amazing, it is one of the best touch phones i have played with/used. I own one and i never really had to many problems i couldnt handle or coup with. Since the new upgrade came out it runs so much smoother and faster. Like all phones there are some downfalls, with the new upgrade i have relaized that syncing my outlook calendar does not work along with the vibrate button on top and i hate that after the download all of your contacts have been deleted, so PS save your contacts before the download. People that bash this are people that dont know how to use blackberry's! We call you people posers becuase you are posing to be cool when you have no idea what your doing. These phones are smart phones so please get smart and learn about them before you bash them.

Pros

• -Faster
  • -Very personal
  • -Business'y
  • -Fun to play with

Cons

• -After Upgrade
  • -Vibrate button top doesnt work
  • -Outlook Calendar wont sync
  • -Needs more game applications

denmcdon
posted on 07 Jun 2009, 19:16 (Posts: 88; Member since: 07 Jun 2009)

Get the update

Stop bashing this phone.I downloaded the update .148 and this phone is great does verything i need and want it to do,people not knowing how to use this phone keep giving it negative reviews....go back to using your dumb phones and stay away from smartphones.

Pros

• able to use opera mini global phone email is unsurpassed texting instant messaging like a mini computer

Cons

• none that i can find

matistight
posted on 07 Jun 2009, 10:57 (Posts: 198; Member since: 13 May 2009)

Perfect name...the STORM of problems

Why pick verizon if it has a sim card slot in it?
Stay with ATT or T-mobile or whatever you have...a pearl is better than this...
along with the IPHONE...
yes i said iphone, all you need is a jailbroken iphone and it blows this out of the water.

Pros

• its a blackberry so it gets some boost
  • and it is hybrid but...why have this?
  • cool theme...wait...is that a verizon logo?

Cons

• Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very slow and unresponsive
  • Get a curve or pearl, you will be more satisfied

adamfeb5
posted on 05 Jun 2009, 06:39

adam5

i have had this phone for 6 months now. although it looks cool and has a strange screen, the software is terrible. it lags and freezes. i love the phone but i dont have enough patience with the phone.