BlackBerry Curve 8330 User Reviews

vzwbb21
posted on 11 Jul 2011, 18:47 (Posts: 33; Member since: 05 Jun 2010)

vzwbb21 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This was my first BB and I absolutely loved it. This phone made me want to get another BB. I love BlackBerry and they make the best phones ever. Everything about this phone was incredible. However, as with any phone, they get extremely slow and sluggish after "x" amount of months. I had this phone for a year and two months and after a year and one month, it got extremely slow, but other than that, the rest of the time it was amazing. Had to replace the trackball once, but the newer trackpads are better. Thumbs up to RIM for being pioneers in every way possible

• Reception was amazing
  • One of the best keyboards
  • OS 4.5 was amazing
  • Core features are amazing
  • Texting and IM-ing was a breeze

Cons

• AppWorld was o.k. on this phone
  • Processor was slow

Trevor - Wireless Sales Rep
posted on 28 Apr 2010, 01:01

There's a reason it's one of the best selling smartphones

I've had this phone for 10 months now, and as it's on its way to getting replaced, I think I'm comfortable enough to give a solid review.In some ways, this phone is nearly perfect.  This along with the Bold/Tour series have the absolute best keyboards on the market--independent keys whose combined width is still narrow enough to make typing with one hand feasible...I can type more quickly on this phone than any other.  It has an excellent feel to it.  It is the perfect width to feel comfortable in any hand, as well as to accommodate a nice landscape screen.  The phone looks sleek, and certainly more professional than the current, cheap-looking 8500 series.  Blackberry makes, perhaps, the easiest-to-navigate interface I've used.  While diving into various folders and technical information can be deep and daunting, flipping between the browser, camera, contacts and other similar tasks is a breeze, it's like the phone knows what I want it to do.  Oh, most importantly to many, e-mail is seamless, as with any Blackberry.On to some its shortcomings, however.  Remember to take this with a grain of salt, as we're now a good 2.5 years from this phone's release date.  The 2.0mp camera is acceptable, but is dismal compared to the 3.2 on most other Blackberrys and the 5.0s seen elsewhere.  Internet browsing is pretty good, certainly for an intro-smartphone.  But there is a lot in regards to loading webpages that it struggles with or simply...

Pros

• -Best keyboard available
  • -Seamless e-mail
  • -Quick internet access
  • -Comfortable form
  • -Most durable I've EVER owned

Cons

• -Sluggish internet when site has too much content
  • -Mediocre 2.0mp camera
  • -Prone to freezing
  • -Trackball SUCKS

Jeradiah Williams
posted on 25 Feb 2010, 20:02

Ive had the phone for almost a year and despite the size of the screen, its a good starter SmartPhone. i like the camera and the blackberry has become more app friendly with BlackBerry App World. The problem i have with BlackBerry is the call quality. Either its the Sprint coverage in my area (Saint Louis, MO) or the phone itself, but i get dropped calls when im in a certain area within my house. I'd offer this phone to anyone that wants a starter SmartPhone. the texting on this phone is nice, but the phone is 2 small for me to use. The internet is slow and like I said the screen is 2 small for me to use

Pros

• Applications
  • Tex tMessaging
  • Music Quality
  • Accessories

• Screen 2 Small
  • Internet speed

posted on 10 Sep 2009, 12:34

First time BB owner.  Had it for almost two months and so far pretty happy with the phone.

Pros

• Smart phone

Cons

• A little delay when answering phone.
  • Ring then Vibrate, not Ring and Vibrate

brittnhamm
posted on 15 Aug 2009, 10:17

Happy 8330 User

I've had the device for a couple of days and I love it! I used to have Pearl and this is a nice step up from that. The keys are small, but usable. The call quality and battery life are pretty good. I'm on mine all day and get home at six and still have one battery bar left. I have the pink one, not crazy about the silver.I would definetly reccomend this phone!

tango57
posted on 10 Jul 2009, 13:13 (Posts: 0; Member since: 10 Jul 2009)

Solid performing BlackBerry at an affordable price!

I've had my 8330 Curve for about a month now and overall I'm very pleased with what it can do.  I'll start with the cons I've encountered with this phone.  I'm on the Sprint 3G network (Tri-State area) and I usually enjoy the fast browsing speeds although I think it should perform better but it's probably due to the network quality in my area.  This is one of my biggest gripes but again it's most likely due to the Sprint network area I'm in cause there are times when my phone signal will be at 5 full bars and then it'll drop down to 1 or revert to 1xRTT while I'm in the middle of browsing or surfing.  One time I was at the mall on route 1 in a business district and I could only get a roaming signal.  Also this phone lacks WiFi support.  Another drawback to this phone the keyboard.  The keys are quite small and plastic with a slippery feel to them which makes the unit look kind of cheap and toylike.  I don't have very big hands and I find myself having trouble typing and texting on them.  Your fingers can easily slip or press an extra key by accident since there's not much space in between the small keys.  The trackball works very nice however and allows for easy maneuvering of the cursor on the screen back and forth in between menus.  Another feature I really disliked is the ambient light sensor that's built in.  What this does is sense the amount of direct light on the screen and adjusts the brightness of the screen...

Pros

• 3G capable.
  • Nice colorful and vivid screen.
  • Sprint Navigation for data plan users.
  • Wide variety of application support.

Cons

• Voice call quality a bit low.
  • Keyboard a bit cramped and small keys.
  • Processor feels slow running apps.
  • Ambient light sensor can be annoying.
  • Lacks WiFi support.

ASOL
posted on 25 Jun 2009, 14:49

great phone

phone is great everything about it phone internet spearker. Highley recomend it.

Pros

Cons

• nothing

agscarr
posted on 18 Mar 2009, 14:38

slave

Everyone I know that has a Curve has cracked the face of it...it's cheap!!!  I like some of the features, like not being interupted by an incoming text while writing a text, but it is not as easy to manipulate like a Palm Treo.  I also am not very fond of the way it stores the messages by date.  Treo has them store in a chat format that was much nicer and easier to follow conversations.  I have had several gliches with this phone locking up and at one time I couldn't type an "s" in a text...my phone isn't even 30 days old since activation!!!  I am really debating on going back to the Palm Treo.

Pros

• Incoming Text

Cons

• Doesn't come loaded with MMS Text, you have to download upgrades
  • Face cracked on first drop
  • Locked up and reset itself twice
  • Could not type "s" while in a text message

Chris1989
posted on 23 Feb 2009, 19:56

LOVE THIS PHONE!

SERIOUSLY BEST PHONE IVE EVER HAD! HAD IT 3 WEEKS NOW AND YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING ON HERE! IM HARDLY ON MY COMPUTER NOW BECAUSE I GOT THIS PHONE! IT IS AMAZING AND I LOVEEE IT!!

posted on 29 Jan 2009, 10:00

Blackberry Curve

I LOVE this phone, I've had it a week, and have only good things to say about it.  I absolutley HATED my husband's Palm Treo a few years back and was hesitant to get the blackberry because of that, but this phone is AWESOME and you can't pry it out of my hands now, LOL.  The trackball is awesome, it has a great camera with flash, mp3 player, but the email and messaging are outstanding.  No crashing or freezing at all and very quick to receive, compose and send.  My husband now has the Voyageur and he really wants a Blackberry Curve instead!  One more thing is awesome about this phone, you don't have to sign up for a subscription monthly fee (like Verizon's Voyageur)  to get MP3's onto your phone, just download them from your computer, you can put anything you have on it for free!  the internal memory is quite big-  but you can add a card and get even more memory  :)  You can add different themes to personalize your phone if you want.

Pros

• Trackball
  • Messaging
  • Querty keyboard
  • Browser
  • Apps - I love the Weather app I added
  • Video
  • Voice Calling
  • MP3 player !!
  • battery - talk time/standby is great

diygirl
posted on 11 Jan 2009, 12:26

I love my phone.

I have had this phone for almost a year now and I have to say that I still love it! My first pda was the HTC 6800 and where I loved the phone itself I did not like Windows Mobile at all so I went to the Curve. There were many things that I never could get working right with Windows Mobile. My battery lasts much longer on this phone than on the 6800. I don't talk much on the phone, I mostly use Blackberry Messenger, text & the web which tends to use battery life quicker and I can go 2 days without charging my battery, 3 if I don't use it much. I love that I was able to download my own browser instead of using the Blackberry browser. I like being able to download themes. And I find everything much easier to find. The keyboard and trackball did take a little getting used to but I like it now.

Pros

• great battery life without having to buy the extended battery
  • ease of use
  • ease of setting up email
  • customization options
  • compatibility with other programs to make uploading much easier, ie: myspace, facebook, flickr

Cons

• These really aren't pertaining to this phone as much as Blackberry as a whole..
  • would like a higher resolution camera
  • would like a touch screen option without losing my full qwerty keyboard keys

Billy James
posted on 05 Jan 2009, 16:42

Acct Manager

OK OK  I'VE HAD MY SHARE OF PHONES AND AFTER TAKING MY HTC TOUCH SCREEN BACK CUZ ALL THAT PHONE HAD GOING FOR IN WAS HIPE (THUMB MASTERBATION) NOT TO USER FRINDLY. SO I NOW HAVE THIS NEW BLACKBERRY 8330 PHONE AND FIND IT USER FRIENDLY WITH EASY FUNCTIONALITY. GREAT WORK PHONE.

Maddie
posted on 31 Dec 2008, 03:23

Woah,.

I love this phone, ignore most people.
its hard to get used to at first, because the keys are small, and stuck together.
the trackball is hard to get rolled to the right spot, but it all gets easier the more you get used to it.

Pros

• screen
  • trackball
  • qwerty keyboard
  • simple
  • sleek
  • coustomizeable speed, so you dont have a lagging phone, or a racing fast phone, when you dont need it
  • predictable typing
  • auto complete (you can type u and it will change it to you)
  • messages can be sorted and searched for
  • highly customizeable(as far as settings go)

Cons

• battery life can be better
  • sometimes freezes
  • sometimes it will take forever to send a message, all you have to do is restart it and it should do better
  • scratches easy
  • fingerprint magnet
  • needs new layouts or themes

posted on 21 Dec 2008, 02:20

1.3

to be honest.

im not pleased with this phone at all! I have had it for about 2 weeks and it is just not working for me and i dont see how people deal with the screen going blank and then the phone restarting constantly because that is what this phone keeps doing. Also the battery life is just not good at all. The screen is NOT bright enough sometimes when using it outside you cant even see the screen its to dim. I was lloking foward to getting this phone but iam here to tell you, DNT GET THIS. its not a good phone at all oh and the enternet browser sucks because it cannot handle complicated pages.

Joy
posted on 01 Dec 2008, 13:55

Great if you're not with Verizon

I'm somewhat of a phone junkie, always have to upgrade within a year and carry 2 with me at all times plus a broadband card for the laptop so I consider myself pretty well versed.  This is my first Blackberry.
What I like about this phone:

Does not crash nearly as much as the Windows Mobile based phones (my old vx6700 crashed 2 to 3 times daily, this one has crashed twice since I got it in early August).
Excellent battery time, even after 4 months and when accessing the internet (bluetooth headphones tend to drain it a bit faster).
Love the instant delivery of email and ability to support multiple accounts.
Great music player with bluetooth stereo support and ability to maintain multiple playlists.
Use any song for a ring tone.
Customizable ring profiles that support different rings/volumes when in the pouch.
Very good quality pictures from a cell phone.
Feels solid and has held up with no scratches... yet.
Good charge time.
Email supports appointment invitations.

What I don't like about this phone:

Email doesn't support HTML.  Just upgraded to the 4.5 OS that has limited HTML support but won't show external images.  I've tried some 3rd party apps.  For now I just wait until I'm near a computer to view those emails.
Verizon disabled 3rd party apps from accessing the GPS.  This means great programs like Garmin and Google maps are useless on this phone.  Verizon is the only carrier to do this.  Your option is to go with VZNavigator, which I...

Pros

• Stability
  • Features

Cons

• 3rd party GPS access disabled on Verizon models.

posted on 26 Nov 2008, 17:24

okay i got rid of my motorokr and got this phone and wow it was a big difference between the phones

Pros

• qwerty keyboard
  • 2.0 mega pixel
  • computer like

Cons

• CONFUSING

Michal
posted on 10 Nov 2008, 21:51

Blackberry Curve or Blackberry Storm?

So, i;v ebeen able to upgrade for a little bit now, and i was wondering which blackberry model i should get. i love the curve, but the problem there is that its either been in lindsay lohans hands already (basically i see it everywhere!) but i still really like it. its so amazing. but i cant decide which to actually get between the curve and storm. i had the iPhone and that was junk, but they say that this touchscreen would be TOTALLY different which im not sure im ready to get used to. but i know things like that take time. im not very good@ pros and cons, so i guess what im sayin is, does someone wanna help me out with the options?

posted on 21 Oct 2008, 21:58

My new Crackberry

so i had the samsung instinct for the past couple weeks and didn't really like it so i decided to get the 8330 because it had the same features and them some. IT DOES EVERYTHING, the scroll ball completely makes up for the touch screen and you can switch between programs without having to re-do what you've already been working on. Plus i'll never have to buy another ringtone again! Just download the music on the computer, switch it to the phone and set it as your rington. It's a must buy and WELL worth the cash. Plu

blesdchile
posted on 08 Oct 2008, 12:05 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 May 2008)

SIMPLY THE BEST

It was time for me to upgrade (LOOONG OVERDUE).  I was hesitant because I really liked my Treo and I was concerened that I would find the touch screen capability and other features that I came to love about the Treo.  I tried a few phones before the Curve. One of which was the Voyager which wasn't for me at all.
In a nutshell, what I like about the CURVE is:

Sound Quality (Crystal clear, speaker phone or no)
Great PDA functions, (Calendars, tasks)
Trackball. Because of the trackball, I don't even miss the touch screen. Very easy to use
Great syncing capabilities. I sync with Yahoo!!
I got mine in PINK!
Yahoo/MSN/AOL messenger
many, many more features.

I now know why it is called a crackberry :o(.
I have nothing bad to say about this phone.

SCHILLING
posted on 21 Aug 2008, 14:02

This is one of the best devices that I have ever purchased. I spent over a month playing with device just to verify it would fill every need... and it does!!! From the programs available for it to the gps... multi tasks better than any other pda!! u wanna send a txt message while listening to music and using the map for directions... oh good cuz u can do all of that at the same time!!!

Scorpio_diva2007
posted on 04 Aug 2008, 21:31

5.6

I've had many problems with tis phone

I've had the same problems as well..I was so pumped to get this phone and I actually brought it the next day after it came out. I had the muffled voice on the speaker phone, speaker phone sucks, earpiece volume sucks, dropped calls, people call me or I call someone and they can't hear me, come to find out about a month ago there's a glitch with this phone. so to make a long story short on this phone, I sold it on ebay last week bcuz the plan is too high and I was so disappointed with this phone that I had to get rid of it.

MRED Chick
posted on 04 Aug 2008, 07:57

SmartPhone but where's the PHONE?!

I was soo looking forward to getting the new Curve after all the hype that has been made about it, but after using it for a few weeks I've been less than impressed. Out of 4 people in my office (who got the phone the same day) I must be struck with bad luck...it constantly cuts out and drops my calls. I'm a fast talker, which has never been a problem on my Motorolas, but now I'm finding many people are asking me to repeat myself because the speaker muffles my voice and I sound like I have marbles in my mouth.

I'm on my second handset in two weeks and am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problems.

roger
posted on 26 Jul 2008, 23:58

great phone

This is my second smartphone. My first one was motorola q9m. blackberry 8330 (verizon) is way better phone than q9m in most and every way. its much faster, signal strength is great, getting email is so simple fast. browser is way better and faster. This phone doesnt freeze like q9m. I downloaded google maps and search applicatios which works great and google maps show your approx. location which is great. I think this phone is even better than my friends treo way better. watching you tube is just so great function on this phone. highly recomended.

JoeFishNC
posted on 10 Jul 2008, 23:37

Better then the Treo

I was a Treo user, went through 4 of them in one year due to there very faulty design...lock ups, missing phone calls, ect...Since I have been on the Blackberry Curve, it has been great. my only negative remark is that you can not sync emails unless you have a BES. There are some great software for this and I have a custom main Screen I made through Pazmic. Some people want Wi-Fi but I am not sure why, as long as you have the unlimited wireless service. Since Desktop manager 4.5 you can do the Bluetooth Sync, which is great. Would love to try the BlackBerry Bold but, I know Verizon...it will be awhile...Thumbs up HERE !!!!

Kevin
posted on 01 Jul 2008, 00:02

Best ever

This phone is so unbelievable., super fast with navigation, and internet download. scroll wheel is awsome.
I only have one hand and this pda phone is by far the easiest I have ever used.
The message center is my favorite feature compared to other pda phones I have had. No need to sign in all the time, you r messages from all your email or text messeges are one click away.