x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Acer ICONIA TAB A500 Discussions
  • Options
    Close

iconia and usb

cut master (unregistered) 31 Mar 2011, 05:35 posted on

Does anyone know if that usb port could take flash drives and hopefully (with external power) portable hdd

posted on 14 May 2011, 01:08

1. Lodmot (unregistered)

Yeah, you can use flash drives with that tablet. Only thing is, there isn't a file browser app included with the Acer Iconia, so you have to download one from the marketplace. Once you do that, you can use the flash drive to transfer pretty much anything to the tablet. A USB keyboard also works with the tablet as well. Haven't tried much of anything else.

posted on 14 Jun 2011, 00:52

2. Polaco-word (unregistered)

Yes, the USB port accepts Thumb drives, you will need an app to access the files. I use Astro from the Android market place, free and easy...

I used a 16GB thumbdrive and loaded a movie, clean dipslay. Only need to get a mini HDMI dongle so I can connect to my flat screen...

posted on 27 Jun 2011, 16:01

3. ItsMichaelNotMike (Posts: 8; Member since: 21 Nov 2010)

As he said, flash drives work. And I had a Class 10 speed chip in the thumb drive and played one of my DVD converted movies directly from the thumb drive!

Really cool, I experimented playing a movie from the Acer to an LCD TV, using the INCLUDED microHDMI to HDMI cable.

While resolution was not the best, since the movie on the Acer was simply a DVD movie converted to a 500 MB MP4 file, it was cool that it worked.

Ditto on USB keyboards working.

All in all, the full-sized USB port (in addition to a microUSB port) is one of the reasons I bought the Acer. I've not seen another tablet that has a USB 2.0 full-sized port.

Note: The HDMI cable and a cover (similar to Apple's iPad 2 cover) came in the box. But those items may be included only in the 32GB model, which mine is. Others with a 16GB Acer can chime in if that comes with these "extras."

posted on 23 Aug 2011, 22:22

4. Justin000 (unregistered)

It is true that you can access usb files from the astro file viewer but to create a document and save it on the usb port is tricky. What I had to do was...
1. Go on my home compter and create several word documents with a single number in them.
2. save them to your usb drive titled with just a single number will do.
3. open the file through astro and have it open in docs to go.
4. erase number and type desired document.
5. when finished, click save to have it saved with the number you first typed as the title on your home computer, or save as- to rename it and have it create a new document on your usb. either way you will have the document saved on your usb, which you can view on your tablet or pc.

posted on 28 Aug 2011, 13:16

5. KnukLHead (unregistered)

They will also use hdd powered or not.It will power them. All you have to do is download a ntfs ptogram and your good to go. All the storage you will ever need. Man' I love thing lol

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories