iPhone to be 50% of Q4 sales for top 3 US carriers
0. phoneArena 31 Oct 2011, 17:52 posted on
The huge sales of the Apple iPhone are expected to not only continue, but to ultimately make up as much as 50% of smartphone sales for the 3 US carriers that offer the phone: Verizon, AT&T and Sprint...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. alx33 (Posts: 32; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Well androis fans... like it or not this iphone will sell huge! I still think other high end android phones crush the iphone in terms of specs but there's no denying the iphone beats them in popularity, sales, and even performance in some cases.
12. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
well duur, the iphone will always win in sales. Until there is 50 iOS phones availible like there are 50 android phones availible, the iphone will always win. Its a different type of game.
13. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2703; Member since: 26 May 2011)
It's a different game, but still pretty damn impressive that one company can put out a product that sells that well.
16. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Remix isn't impressed unless there's a green logo. Soon he'll be banned from PA though.
18. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Wow. Really? The way I remember it, if he loses his bet, he'll voluntarily leave. That's a lot different than being banned.
Do you even care about keeping the smallest of facts straight anymore, Taco? And why would you be so happy with people of opposing opinions being banned? Are you that draconian and fascistic?
21. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
He agreed to the bet. He ran his mouth and now it will get him kicked off the website.
24. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
It's a voluntary departure, not a banning. The admins are the only ones who can ban him. Call it exile if you must, but if he's voluntarily leaving, it is NOT A BAN.
And you've called for everyone else who supports Android (the "Android trolls" as you call them) to be banned too. Why so whiny?
23. maxican16 (Posts: 364; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Well, he does gulp that *pple kool-aid and actually wishes SJ were still around to tell him what's cool and a must buy next.. So, yeah, I think he is.
26. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
I am very glad that you believe that you will win the bet,
but call a spade a spade
1) I am not getting banned, and will never be banned.
2) Concidering that Apple took over the top spot from nokia for only 1 or 2 quarters before losing it to Samsung, its still anyone's game
3) all the big i4s launches are happening early Q4 2011, sales will be slower in Q1 2012 since the christmas rush and new phone rush will both be over... and samsung will be releasing new phones in Q1 while Apple's persistant rumors of the i5 help to slow its sales.. so it is ANYONE'S game.
4) I hope you keep acting like an ass and reminding everyone of the bet, so if and when the Q1 2012 results come in and samsung bests apple's sales, you have absolutely no wiggle room to say you forgot about the bet and get out of it.
5) you better pray that the galaxy nexus isnt as big of a hit as it looks like it might be, and definately that its not put side by side to the i4s in store.. which will just cannibalize potential i4s sales.
Keep it up, troll. :)
29. NVPMOTHAF (Posts: 78; Member since: 28 Sep 2011)
If there was 50 types of Iphones, Android wouldn't even have a chance.
31. ibap (Posts: 758; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
If there were 50 types of iPhones, they wouldn't be iPhones. Part of the mystique is that there is only One. (Deliberate capitalization to indicate the attitude people take toward them. The college student who told me her iPhone changed her life made me gag. Of course, it WAS the first smartphone she'd ever had.)
22. ScrewTHAT (Posts: 8; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
It's very impressive that a company can put out POS garbage but people will still flock to it and buy the POS with insane quantity. I AM jealous if only I could do such a thing...
2. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
I'm not surprised. Marketing's number one rule is used very well by Apple; "People are Stupid".
I'm not saying that everyone that buys an iphone is stupid. I'm just saying that many buy it "just because" instead of making a decision based on what they truly need.
3. charulo316 (Posts: 32; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Did the article just state that IOS has a larger market share than any smartphone platform?
6. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
Yeah. I don't get that part either...I thought they had the most sales and revenue but market share was android's *confused*?
7. c1985 (Posts: 10; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
iOS includes all iPhones, all iPod touches and all iPads. I think Android has the largest market share of mobile handsets but when you include the other two it comes out with iOS on top.
I am not sure but that is what I am assuming they are looking at.
8. toaster (Posts: 114; Member since: 13 Sep 2011)
They said "smartphone platform" which excludes the iPad and the iTouch. That statement is just wrong.
9. c1985 (Posts: 10; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
Actually it says, " iOS still has a larger market share than any other smartphone platform."
10. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
which means "smartphone" not mobile os. so yes the statement is wrong, unless the previous reports about android market share are wrong.
4. Jobes (Posts: 364; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Its to be expected.. Its up to its to educate the masses :P
5. c1985 (Posts: 10; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
If android became more stable (in terms of the end-user experience) and more understandable in terms of what handsets can be upgraded to the latest OS version they would pick up ground faster. As it is right now they are only expanding because they are the default OS for all new handsets not made by apple (much like windows on HP, Dell, Asus, etc.) but if they don't improve the end-user experience and value over time (with regular updates to latest OS offering) they will lose ground to iOS and WP7.5.
Drooling over specs mean absolutely nothing when the user experience doesn't improve.
11. jove39 (Posts: 1853; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
"If android became more stable"
It is quite stable now.
"can be upgraded to the latest OS version"
It'll never be upgradable like iOS/WP...its open source!
"they will lose ground to iOS and WP7.5"
yes...Android lose some users to iOS...but make up adding more new users! I don't think WP7.5 will snatch any users from Android.
20. bucky (Posts: 2562; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Android still has a long way to go before being stable.
14. rob5150 (Posts: 161; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
they say 50% of the three carriers ? So that means 150% they're not getting ?
15. maxican16 (Posts: 364; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
This will only be good for android customers. With the i*hone selling like this, android OEMs and carriers will have no choice but to lower prices on their handsets. ...At least one can hope.
17. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I totally see this happening. When people have a choice they choose iphone
19. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Does that really happen without fail? Because as I recall, Android is doing really well even on carriers that have the iPhone all over the world.
27. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yea, all 20% of the worldwide smartphone market.
25. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
if i were a betting man i would wager that of the top three only AT&T will have >50% of its Q4 smartphones be Iphones. there are still 62 days in the year and many more android phones being released in that time span.
28. ivanko34 (Posts: 617; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
Good news for apple. They are clearly the best.
30. bbblader (Posts: 590; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
wow everyone should check this out -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
all the idiots that dont know anything about phones buy the iphone 4s which is clearly a bad idea...
32. Packer29 (Posts: 56; Member since: 10 Sep 2011)
All the Fandroids can hate on Apple and talk till their blue in the face about how great android is but at the end of the day Apple and the iphone still have the best all around expierience for every type of user! Every 2 weeks theres a new android phone right around the corner and the specs chasers keep obssesing with the flavor of the week android phone.