iPhone loses market share in Europe, Android gains traction
0. phoneArena 22 Dec 2011, 04:41 posted on
The Apple iPhone 4S has already broken a couple of sales records. First day sales were through the roof and on the first weekend of sales alone it broke the 4 million unit barrier…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. bloodline (Posts: 691; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
pricing only has a small part to do with it, people are learning that the iphone isnt the only phone that has apps.
People want bigger and better things, more features more options - android is that.
I show the galaxy nexus to my friends who all have iphones, every single one of them was impressed, some would even say they would get it as they are bored of the iphone
2. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
it is very easy to be bored with iPhone.....you are locked with them like in Iran or Russia life.....people like democracy=Android....and I love customization :)
8. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
I agree. imagine the same old iOS everywhere, no matter how fluent it is and elegant. Tell me you won't get sick of it.
15. ZayZay (Posts: 556; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
Well we get several people daily asking for the iphone. Maybe because American's are trying to be trendy. idk but it's annoying when half the people ask for it and I ask why, they say "idk, because it's a iphone" SMH
16. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Okay, you sell phones for a living. Now, everything make sense. You are just like sniggly.
38. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
do you realize how many people on these threads sell phones for a living or are in some way connected to the cell carriers?
what a stupid thing to say.
41. E.N. (Posts: 2240; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
yes maybe. Or it can be because of the eurozone crisis....like the article suggests.....
4. SleepingOz (unregistered)
It's THAN ever!!! 'THEN' AND 'THAN' ARE TWO DIFFERENT WORDS!
47. roscuthiii (Posts: 1786; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
-off topic, sue me-
Fly Eagles fly,
On the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight,
Score a touchdown 1-2-3
And watch our Eagles fly.
Fly Eagles fly,
On the road to victory.
We now return you to our regularly scheduled broadcast of 'Flame Wars' already in progress.
5. cheetah2k (Posts: 773; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
I think more people are looking at the bunch of A-holes Apple are becoming by suing other companies..
It could be a fight of morales :D
7. jbash (Posts: 339; Member since: 07 Feb 2011)
actually the average consumer prolly has no idea of the legal wars manufacturers are having. its marketing and word of mouth that are the biggest reasons for the shift
9. theBankRobber (Posts: 645; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Another reason Apple will start more lawsuits. They cant stop Androids success, it gives way more options and choice.
10. Commentator (Posts: 2350; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
At the risk of getting voted down, I don't understand why more attention wasn't paid to the "In the US Apple’s share grew to 36% from only 25%, while in the UK it rose to 31% from 21% in the 12 weeks to end-November" part. It seems like even though Apple may be losing market share in one region, it's gaining it in another. Maybe there will be a separate article titled "iPhone gains market share in the US and UK" later on or something.
11. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
They already had that article, but it did not show the iphone at 36% market. Every company that reports.. reports different numbers.. lol. we need a central database with all these company's charts in one spot so we can look them all over at the same time.
13. Leo_MC (Posts: 500; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Maybe because the population of US + UK is ~370 mil while population of EU - UK is ~440 mil (the proportion of mobile phones is rather similar)?
12. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
After all the reports earlier this year of the SGS2 outselling the i4 by like 10 to 1 margins in many European countries, this isnt exactly surprising. It helps explain why their market share on the world scale barely ever moves while android keeps inching up n up. Most of apple's US shares arent coming from android converters but people leaving RIM more often than not.
40. E.N. (Posts: 2240; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
10 to 1???!!! where in the world do you get your data? From what I've read, The iPhone 4 sold and probably still sells more than the Galaxy SII.
42. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
from phone arena. They had an article a while back comparing SGS2 vs i4 sales in europe. the SGS2 wasnt just winning, it was dominating by a wide margin. Concidering they just released over all sales figures where iphone sales dropped further in europe and android gained.. i dont see why thats still so hard to believe.
The iphone is strong in the US, Britain, and Australia. It tends to falter in many other places... which is why even though you see huge iphone sales numbers (which are mostly to upgrades btw, not new customers) their market share does not change much. What they win in america they lose in europe.
46. E.N. (Posts: 2240; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
I'm sure you can imagine why 10x the sales is hard to believe. But hey, that's probably just in some places and not overall. The reason that didn't make sense is because with the iPhone 4, Apple was still the largest smartphone manufacturer with Samsung and its many devices a close second. If the Galaxy SII alone (not including the other samsung devices) sold 10x than the iPhone 4, then they should by far be the #1 device and #1 manufacturer. And that's just what's not happening.
As for upgrades, many Android users buy multiple phones a year. The drop in iOS can be due to the eurocrisis like the article suggests (I don't' understand why we're ruling that out as an option).
"What they win in america they lose in europe"
- you're making a lot of big and overarching statements. Whether you like it or not, iOS is still growing.
14. ryq24 (Posts: 479; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
that was expected. android is available to anyone who wants it while iphone os is exclusive and also iphone is too expensive.
17. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Android should have market share in every country as they popped up a new android every 30 seconds... Apple only releases one phone a year.. and if Android doesnt have market share all over the country.. maybe it sucks.. who knows... got to go now... my friends Android is foreclosing and needs help...
20. ZayZay (Posts: 556; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
So do you see something happen once and assume all android always force close all the time?
25. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
calm down I said my friends Android.. never said all androids..
30. ZayZay (Posts: 556; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
That was what you made it sound like.
PS I am calm
21. xiobnb (Posts: 74; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
look at how ifans make up lies.. like the multitasking on idevices are lies!!
23. MYTHiKAL (Posts: 33; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
LOL... Funny thing is that most people are still brain washed to think that iPhone still the best thing in the world when that is by far not correct at all..
26. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
and you think you have the latest gadget.. wait till next month.. but on the bright side you can buy areplacement for a penny on Amazon
27. mctcm (Posts: 204; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
that may be true but at least the software and hardware are a year ahead of anything apple has to offer.
whereas you can buy a replacement for $700 running an OS that is identical to the 2007 version
31. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
it it works flawless who cares what year it is.. why would I want unproven state of the art technology it it has more bugs than an old fridge... congrats for being a guinea pig... get back on the wheel...
33. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you were also the same hippocrit that was making fun of android phones still running 2.2.. even though froyo is nothing but stable and well built. But yet, when it suits you, older software is all the rage. Give it up gallito.
34. jacko (unregistered)
works flawless hahaha
then tell me why apps crash on my ipod and sometimes reboots
36. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Keyword... sometimes....as oppose most of the time.... see the difference...
Ps... dont buy from Apple products out of a back of a van...mister...
28. blackrose (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
So when apple does lead in market share its. Awesome given the fact they release one phone a year. And android most suck. But when the market share Is not there its because its more phones with android on it. So android should have more market share. And what's next market share doesn't matter and blahh blahh. What you apple fanboys well most of the them say don't make any sense
32. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I see a pattern here.. when you dont understand most people.. that means that you are the problem... not them.. people behavior 101... this could also help you understand women you know.. just hide the android phone... big turn off...
49. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6278; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I think youre the one needs help Gallitoking
22. -RVM- (Posts: 329; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
This has nothing with crisis. Otherwise there would be no drop in iPhone sales in Germany (unlike countries like Spain or Italy), which is still one of the healthiest economics of the world.
24. MYTHiKAL (Posts: 33; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
Both my other half's Infuse 4G and my brand new Samsung Skyrocket does it for us way better then the best iPhone in the planet.. Once we experience Android 18 months ago and now with this awesome phones we have, we ran away from iPhone in a heart beat and never looked back.. LMBO!!!
29. Ikvnik (Posts: 14; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Ios actually becomes f**king boring. Am sick of this my stupid iphone
35. jacko (unregistered)
i know 3 people that as an is**t 4 and there sick of it and call it a p.o.s
and want to sell it
37. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I know.. at least.. a dozen people.. that are tired of Android... and their energy sucking.. widgets... and their.. plastic phones... go figure .. huh..
39. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i know.. at ..least.. 2 doz..en... people.. that.. can. ..never..und.e..r...s.ta...nd... what... the h.eck.. you... a..r..e... saying.
and no, its not because of some physical thing, its because u dont want to be understood.
44. chapizzo (Posts: 116; Member since: 13 Sep 2011)
Iphone's just too damn expensive for nothing and Its get boring really fast.
48. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6278; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Not too mention it also have qwerty keyboard and sizes from 3"-4.7" size.