iPhone 5s alternatives round-up: what else can you get for $199?
0. phoneArena 19 Sep 2013, 17:23 posted on
The iPhone 5S is peeking at us from right around the corner. In just a few hours, the smartphone will be made available in the US, Canada, France, Germany, the UK, Japan, and other key markets, carrying a premium price tag attached to it, as usual. In the US, to be more specific, the 16GB iPhone 5S price will be nailed at $199 on a 2-year contract, or $649 for those who prefer theirs unlocked and contract-free. Now, we're pretty sure that the iPhone 5S will be an outstanding smartphone, just like the previous iPhone models. But at the same time, we can think of more than a few alternatives one should consider before reaching for their credit card – alternatives that are just as good as Apple's new handset and happen to fall in the same price category...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
35. hons9424 (Posts: 7; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
For 199, you got stucked with your carrier for 2 more years.
For 199, you got something people lauch at you when you hold it in you hand.
For 199, you finally understand what the "c" means -- "Crap".
For 199, you finally understand what the "s" means -- "Sh*t".
41. rihel_95 (Posts: 301; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
Or simply buy Nexus 4 for 199$ off contract if u get some buyers
2. darkkjedii (Posts: 20033; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
In 8 hrs, I'll be headed up to At&t to line up for this puppy. Won't be able to spend any real time with it till Tuesday though :(.
4. kozza3 (Posts: 697; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
good luck getting one, where i live people are looking at a couple days before regular availability
6. darkkjedii (Posts: 20033; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Well if I don't, it certainly won't be because I didn't get in line. We have 3 apple store here in Vegas to take the strain off of AT&T, how about where you live?
13. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10439; Member since: 14 May 2012)
There's several in Chicago, and the one in downtown is always packed. There's already a line forming there I bet.
27. darkkjedii (Posts: 20033; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I'm actually going to At&t, just left there and no ones lined up yet. I'm just gonna camp out in my ride with the little lady.
7. bigsimpd (Posts: 71; Member since: 13 Jan 2012)
Let me know how it is bro because i'm seriously wanting one.That gold looking one looks sweet i've never owned an Iphone always android
9. darkkjedii (Posts: 20033; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
iOS is my fav, but I love android too. I used to try to pit them against each other, but settled on both. I'm getting that gold 64 gig bro. I'll do a full no punches pulled review in the comment section too lol. Try it out, remember you got 14 days buyers remorse period.
22. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Seriously, why? You have a 5, the s is just window dressing. Wait for the next one.
3. jan25 (Posts: 470; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
I would wait for the Nexus 5. Superior hardware and likely much cheaper.
5. kozza3 (Posts: 697; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
i've been so sad without my Nexus 4, but AT&T wouldn't let me use proper data speeds with it :*(
maybe Nexus 5 will be better?
28. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 2156; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Higher resolution screen, and that is all that is superior about it. The 5s toasts the G2 in benchmarks, it is built better, and it isn't gutted of all the functionality that made it good in the first place, like the N5 will be compared to the G2. AOSP is nice enough, but the extra functionality of skins like TouchWiz, the Moto X skin, the LG skin, and Sense 5+ trump the lightness of AOSP Android.
8. Doakie (Posts: 1888; Member since: 06 May 2009)
:-/ I thought the proper question should be "At $199 why would you settle with an iPhone 5s?" At this point I'm very bored with what Apple has been doing. Tiny screens, similar designs year after year, still no swype style functionality. At $199 I think my pick would be LG G2. But in reality the contest is down to Galaxy Note 2 or One Max...iPhone never entered the comparison.
10. E.N. (Posts: 2610; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
I'd take the 5S over all these alternatives.
12. dorianb (Posts: 591; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
I could troll on the 5S $199 price point all day too.
A better question would of been, because I'm sure there will still be a few iPhone5 left in circulation, "pay $199 for the 5S or find a 5 for significantly less & rock iOS7 on it?"
32. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 2156; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
The 5s is the fastest smartphone in the world, which is a pretty good start.
38. jaxson983 (Posts: 43; Member since: 11 Aug 2013)
You can't be serious no one can say that until you hold it. Cant say its fast just because it has a V8.All of the other parts have to line up to make that happen. So until later today, no one knows, except apple. I think they would have said it if it were true though
31. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 2156; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Honestly, the G2 is a heat nightmare that lags in places it shouldn't. Lots of great features, gorgeous screen, fast, and awesome ergonomics (I one hand it easier than an S4), but I took mine back today.
34. SilverSurfer85 (Posts: 28; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
Why swype when you can text just as fast on a iPhone? unless your fingers are to big? Ive used both so im familiar with both of them.. just curious.
11. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
All great phones but if I was an iUser looking for something to change to, I'd go with the Moto X. Specs don't mean a lot in daily use and a wealth of people really don't care about it. Useful features, ergonomics, and cohesiveness is what the X is all about.
16. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Pricing is screwed up, only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet. When it comes down, which it likely will soon, I'm strongly considering picking one up.
20. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
The best choice, so far. But I guess Note 3 will be $249.
17. PootisMan (Posts: 248; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
Well, about 2 to 3 weeks ago $199 could have got me a Nexus 4.
19. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 11894; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
There's no replacement for a gem like the iPhone.
24. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I dunno, I had a bowel movement that I think would serve as a great replacement for any iphone....
25. tedkord (Posts: 10626; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The 80% of smartphone users who have Android disagree.
29. darkkjedii (Posts: 20033; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Represent Mxy. Stand your ground bro. I love that about you. +1
23. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Lumia 1020 or G2, or wait for GDR3 Windows Phones next month.
26. robinlim85 (Posts: 86; Member since: 03 May 2013)
double processing powers pushing the same amount of pixels
this 5s going to be crazy lag free machine
its like porshe turbo S,with MOOORE power to push the same weight
30. jellmoo (Posts: 1524; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
It just makes me think that it's a really good time to be a mobile enthusiast. Lots of great choices either out or coming out shortly for all sorts. Great Android handsets on the market, and the Note 3 will be one to watch for a lot of people. The 5s is also going to be a smash hit and I'm sure really be a crowd pleaser for the iOS fans. The Lumia 1020 is just a marvellous piece of tech, and all of the rumours of the 1520 seem to indicate it will be a beast.
While we all have our favourites (that 1020 would be right up my alley if only Bell would carry the thing!), we all have great options ahead of us. Competition is strong, and that is always a good thing.
37. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I've got another one.
A Nexus 4 AND your freedom.
39. andrexx24 (banned) (Posts: 22; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
No way any of these other alternatives can beat the ip 5s, that is why Im selling my 5 to get my hands on that baby!
42. iDroid8 (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
I'm not in the US, so don't know how this works; but can anyone explain to me why most flagships are like $200 on other carriers and just $100 on Sprint?
43. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10439; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Sprint tries to promote phones at a cheaper price to attract customers to their terribly slow network.