iPhone 5S home button leaks in perfect clarity: Apple to include a fingerprint sensor
The iPhone 5S home button has long been rumored to come with a fingerprint reader that could be used to unlock the device easily or for cashless payments. Now, we get to see the button and the wiring, and the leak is once again coming from prolific Apple leaker Sonny Dickson.
The new button and its chips and wiring differs drastically from what Apple has previously included in iPhones, and that’s what suggests Cupertino has this time included a fingerprint scanner. We have a hard time recognizing any particular part that would lead us to a more definite conclusion, but we’d welcome you to take out your magnifying glass and Sherlock Holmes spirit and examine the images below for yourselves.
iPhone 5S home button leaks in perfect clarity: Apple to include a fingerprint sensor Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Android L vs Android KitKat: A visual comparison
03 Jul 2014, 04:54
Amazon Fire Phone hands-on
16 Jul 2014, 23:14
iPhone 5S home button leaks in perfect clarity: Apple to include a fingerprint sensor
14. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Why the hell are you here? And by the way a fingerprint technology in a phone is very interesting.
45. KillgoreTrout (Posts: 53; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
I can only assume Apple would put in a scanner if it worked nearly flawlessly. Unlike other companies, I don't think Apple would release a product that was only so-so when it comes to user experience. Therefore, this is pretty exciting. I hope quality fingerprint scanners become the norm for smartphones. The possibilities would be endless.
50. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6116; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
so youre saying its interesting on a iPhone when the Atrix 4G already had it
51. KillgoreTrout (Posts: 53; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
I am saying scanner technology that can read a finger print close to 100% of the time is very cool and would be welcomed on all mobile internet devices. I love Apple products, but I don't care about Apple. Apple is just a company. I love great products no matter who makes them.
20. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6116; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
How many times are we going too see the same picture and the same phone/article?
27. darkkjedii (Posts: 10071; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
And how many times are you gonna keep clicking the same articles saying the same thing, and saying "too" instead of "to"?
28. suneeboy (Posts: 153; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
You don't like the article? Then why waste your time coming to the site, clicking on the article, and commenting? Classic troll behavior.
3. PAPINYC (Posts: 2177; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
(looks just like the power button from an old Sony laptop circa 2003 and Apple just gave it new life)
I can just hear those wool-covered drones now, "but mommy iCan unlock my phone with my fingerprint and the rest of the herd is getting one and it's so innovative".
40. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Aah the smell of trolls burning! Makes my day :D
4. DONUT (Posts: 269; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
with the amount of leaks, when Apple finally releases the new iPhone(s), it would just be so meh. everything would be so expected
46. KillgoreTrout (Posts: 53; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
But imagine if they release a watch as well. Pretty much noone is expecting one. That would definitely be exciting.
5. eli577 (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Jun 2010)
Oh, how interesting. Next time please show the ram modules too, that would be awsome. LOL
7. PAPINYC (Posts: 2177; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Actually, I would like to see pictures of the underside of the top cover of the new box the new iPhone is going to be packaged in. Oh, and pictures of the plastic wrap that's always on the box. Oh, and silly me, please show pictures of the machine that is going to print iPhone 5S on the box before shrink-wrapping said iBox.
41. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
And you both and all other noobs will still be here. Commenting. Burning.
8. LiquidGalaxy (Posts: 141; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Lol - what an interesting piece......Still, more interesting than the Galaxy Gear i suppose..
29. DaHarder (Posts: 152; Member since: 10 Oct 2009)
You Wish... at least the Galaxy Gear represents something forward-thinking, whereas Apple's just playing catch-up to other manufacturers by STEALING their UI design elements e.g. Lock Screen and Task switching for Windows Phone, Control Panel and Notifications from Android.
Looking forward selling my (arse-backward) iPhone 5 today and ordering BOTH the Galaxy Note 3 + Galaxy Gear on Friday.
35. iampayne (Posts: 206; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
Same ole same ole. Everyone takes ideas from everyone and your life will be so much better when you realize that. And lets take a quick trip down memory lane and look at Android before the iPhone, oh wait. Well how about Windows Phone before the iPhone, thats right PDAs that could make phone calls with resistive screens that could only work properly with a stylus. Apple is simply learning and applying just like Android and Microsoft so give it a break.
49. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6116; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
yeah when the iwatch launch next year they would be all over it thinking its something more innovative than the Galaxy Gear watch
52. astroparthi (Posts: 24; Member since: 19 Nov 2009)
ya motty it would be better if they blog about samsuck products right,...?
11. androiphone20 (Posts: 1391; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
oh wait, the note 3 has a fingerprint sensor too
12. lonewolf2873 (Posts: 40; Member since: 21 Nov 2012)
While everyone freely gives out their print, I'll stay semi-anonymous . Next tech will be to register all items you own, for insurance purposes of course, automatically identifying via picture.
15. AndrewTKD (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Sep 2013)
Oh great! If a burglar steals your iphone, he must beat you up until you change the fingerprint or cut your finger. Nice played apple XD
36. iampayne (Posts: 206; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
So said burglar couldn't just beat you up now and force you to unlock your phone anyway?
32. darkkjedii (Posts: 10071; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yes you do, that's why you clicked read, and commented. You care deeply
17. mouhammed200 (Posts: 5; Member since: 08 Feb 2013)
Jailbreak community will make a good ues of this feature (isa)
21. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6116; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
there's nothing innovative bout a finger sensor. its been used on the ATRIX 4G and on laptops that uses finger sensors.
22. Ninetysix (Posts: 1335; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
You think Apple will not add anything new to the table and it'll be used the exact same way as the Atrix 4G? LOL...
24. McLTE (Posts: 637; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I'm just finding it very difficult to give a $hit about a finger print scanner.
Sure it's neat and all.. but I'm ok with entering in a PIN when making transactions.
Then there is big brother.. you're carrier will now be collecting finger print data along with all your calls.. :P
33. Commentator (Posts: 2292; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Well, it could use different fingers to open different apps or change settings, or call different people...
I don't know, I'm sure Apple will use it in more ways than just "unlock you iPhone 0.25 seconds faster"...
37. iampayne (Posts: 206; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
I could also care less about a finger print sensor, I dont even have a code on my phone, but if you don't think big brother already has your prints your naive
48. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6116; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
youre right bout collecting finger print data but everyone else complain out the X PHONE data going through NSA when the Iphone FINGER sensor is out they won't complain bout that one.
34. Commentator (Posts: 2292; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Not really at it's "finest", but at least it's innovation.
44. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Now every one will copy. Starting with Samsung, the biggest so called i$heep! =D
23. amilcarmz86 (Posts: 95; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
They should change the page name to IPHONEARENA.COM :P
25. Ninetysix (Posts: 1335; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Yes because there are like 4-5 Apple articles on the front page vs 30 or so Android ones. Yes you are right.
26. darkkjedii (Posts: 10071; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
5 days till apple releases its beautiful, smooth, powerful fall lineup. Two 5S's for wedding gifts, her to me, me to her.
30. AfterShock (Posts: 2050; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Looks more like a optical track eye then a finger print/biometric scanner.
38. Eonnaydra (Posts: 197; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
I will buy Note 3 and iPhone 5S&iPad 5.
These 3 handsets are going to be awesome.Congrats to Sammy for Note 3!
55. karol88888 (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 Sep 2013)
Hi. iOS 7 jailbreak info :-). Go to w\/\/w . Facebook .c0m / ios7full