iPhone 5C pops in a video, showcases browsing and looks suspiciously real
After a barrage of images of the different components of the iPhone 5C popping all over the web (and angering a fair amount of Android die-hards), today we're tentatively marking the end to that whole fiasco, for we finally have a look at a powered, seemingly fully-functioning iPhone 5C. Showcased while browsing in iOS 7, the alleged iPhone 5C in red appears snappy and real, though we can't know for sure whether a rather eloquent hoax isn't at play here. Considering that all signs point towards a September 10 announcement and a prompt release afterwards (as is the Apple tradition), though, it seems logical that the first batch of the budget device has already started shipping, so we feel a smidge more confident that we aren't being taken advantage of.
In case you missed out, a purported specs sheet has leaked just days ago, signaling that the iPhone 5C will be close to identical to the iPhone 5 as far as the hardware goes. Even Siri, Apple's virtual assistant, which was previously rumored to be altogether missing on the budget phone has been forced back into the daily agenda.
How budget is the iPhone 5C going to be, though? Not so much, from what we know so far – a contract free price of about $400 to $500, or $99 on contract – a price point to remind us that Apple's and ours understanding of “budget” doesn't necessarily mean the same thing. Regardless, seeing as the iPhone 5C is, reportedly, targeted at emerging and developing markets, we aren't so sure it'll manage to carry out the task it was designed to, namely: lay siege to the budget segment.
After you take a peek, make sure you check out our round-up on the iPhone 5C.
source: C Tech
2. PunyPoop (Posts: 741; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
I hope they lower the price. I'll get it if the price is $250 ulocked
30. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6737; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Apple never lower its price until the company say so and they will never be that cheap at 250$. it would probably go for 499 or 599$ at based price. and still not a budget phone either.
32. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1291; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Time to be realistic. Apple sales a 16gig iPod touch (without camera) for $229. So tell us again how Apple is going to price the iPhone 5c for $20 more? Apple would be basically killing off it's iPod touch line at such a low cost.
6. Kurai (unregistered)
Yes it is, if you're as rich as bill gates . . .
7. JewBakaUCFG (Posts: 173; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
Pretty sure Bill Gates would buy a WP :-p
9. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1029; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Bill gates is a tech lover So i think he might choose something more close to PC which is...............
29. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1029; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Or may be he's using a nokia 1100 lol.
24. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I bet Bill Gates is using a WP right now. And guess what? It's a NOKIA.
26. JewBakaUCFG (Posts: 173; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
Is there any other real choice for a WP?
27. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yes, there are many. For instance, the ATIV S from Samsung, the 8X from HTC, the Ascend W1 from Huawei etc.
But still, Nokia Lumia is the real choice for a WP.
46. iLover (unregistered)
And we have 8s From HTC...
But as you said Lumia Is Something better..
3. karim77 (Posts: 67; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
The plastic doesn't look so cheap actually after you make a little thought about it
13. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1029; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Plastic does look cheap if it is glossy.
31. lalalaman (Posts: 388; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
They r trying to copy sammy plastic when u see it:P
Im nt fan of iphone bt atleast they are trying to reach broader range of ppl......wen u come to think....white one luks slightly like s3 white which is good
18. Commentator (Posts: 2496; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
That doesn't bode well for Apple. The last thing they want you to do is actually have to think about their products.
4. power_x (Posts: 244; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
If Apple wants this product to succeed , they need to price it under 400$
If it is higher then it will fail
41. Rehankhan (Posts: 323; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
no sh*t sherlock i can buy ps4 on that price
5. gazmatic (Posts: 628; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
iphone5c replaces the iphone 5
is the iphone5 cheap now?
then dont expect the 5c to be cheap either
all they are doing is lowering manufacturing costs to increase profit margins
if this thing sells more than 5million I will lose faith in the intelligence of EVERY and ALL apple consumers
dont get me wrong.. apple's products are not bad... just overpriced
only morons pay the apple tax
10. bucky (Posts: 1574; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
prepare to lose faith i guess.
Funny thing is, it will still out perform 99% of androids
12. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1029; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Outperform??? May be low-budget android
i prefer Lumia 620,720 or any other mid-ranger android phone over this over priced glossy phone.
16. bucky (Posts: 1574; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
HTC one and nexus 4 are the only 2 that remotely come close.
15. buccob (Posts: 1566; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
out performs 99% of androids in 1% of task/features...
23. buccob (Posts: 1566; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
smoothness of home screen? IDK you tell me... because everything else I have seen an Android flagship smokes the latest iPhone today.
Even on those things the iPhone was famous for... such as "easy to use"...
34. Pancholo (Posts: 377; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Don't worry about blind fanboyism. Human beings only see what they want to see. That's why cults exist.
35. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
My iPhone 5 thats been out for a year gets 630ms on Sunspider and tops the Browsermark benchmarks for phones. Still. So add web rendering and java script performance to that statement as well. Oh and per core performance tops the S600
36. buccob (Posts: 1566; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
that's great but... how is that going to help you need to copy paste links from an app in order to open them in your browser of preference, how about needing to dig into settings to turn on and off options... how about calling a favorite contact... (iOS 7 made the right upgrades, borrowing from Android, so hopefully you enjoy a bit of Android in your iP5)
All this time Apple and WP users praise the optimization of their OS so that they do not need powerful processors and huge RAM and THIS IS TRUE... but it is also TRUE that a smart OS such as Android allows you to do task faster by customizing interface, having widgets, and not restricting features like those closed systems.
BTW... the iPhone 5 seems like a better device compared to the 5C... hope you keep it instead of going shinny plastic
37. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
I owned a Quadcore beast before the iPhone. Still own a Nexus 7 and an android Mini PC that outperforms the Galaxy Note 2.
Went with the iPhone for 2 reasons. Web browsing performance and battery life and most of all it's the only truly high performance compact smartphone that was available until very recently.
39. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Your android mini pc doesn't have to deal with a display like the gn2 has. You can't compare the 2. Of course it's going to run better.
43. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
My big screen Plasma is the display. The Mini PC runs 720P flawlessly or 1080P still very smoothly since its much more demanding on the processor. RK3188 aka Rockchip's Quad core is produced at 28nm and sports the same gpu as the Note 2. Its a legit SoC that outperforms the Exynos 4412 at equal clockspeed.
45. buccob (Posts: 1566; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Well you have a valid point here... Many manufacturers are focusing on huge screen flagships... Hopefully this trend with the "minis" develop on par with the full size siblins... so we can have both sizes full of features (see rumored Honami Mini)
Though battery life is debatable, the iPhone is a beast for music playback, and video, but for everything else is kind of average...
And the browser, well it can be a very fast one, but when your functions are limited or restricted, you trade usefulness and even time...
But its good to see someone who chooses based on needs and taste and not blindness, kudos
38. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Right smoothness will only get you so far. Try that logic in racing and you will lose everytime. Overall speed is what counts. And that's what android has. There are cars that can hit 60 as fast a lambo gallardo. Still doesn't mean it's faster car.
44. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
If the race is short, the car with the fastest acceleration wins. Most things people do on smartphones are low demand, single core operations.
11. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1029; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
iPhone 5 is wayyyyyyyy better. At least looks like a premium Apple product.
this is for children. Look like it manufactured in Disney Land.
19. Commentator (Posts: 2496; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Yeah, all those business-leaders and doctors who use Apple products must be morons...
22. special4u (Posts: 63; Member since: 22 May 2013)
why ppl buy rolex? hermes? ferrari?
dont judge a product just becoz u "think" u know their cost, or u just visit ifixit.
8. harigrg33 (Posts: 164; Member since: 20 May 2013)
$200 off contract would be much better price for this iphn c-heap mobile.
20. xtian1103 (Posts: 361; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
if the price is reasonable, this would be a good backup phone for my future phone (xperia z1)
21. TechDork (Posts: 244; Member since: 10 May 2010)
It would look better with a white face than black. It seems to clash with the color casing.
28. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6737; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Just great more plastic iPhones
33. react007 (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Sep 2013)
if its iphone 5c how come there is ios6 in it? its fake probably..
40. certifiedwomanizer (Posts: 15; Member since: 25 Aug 2013)
Am I the only one here who noticed that black-themed safari in iOS 7? cmiiw..
42. fo0ling (Posts: 17; Member since: 07 Jul 2013)
Another big "hit" to purposely increase CR@pple's general income. They are running out of ideas, just die CR@pple.