iPhone 5 wins another screen test against the Galaxy S III
This time, it was Cnet with its rather scientific equipment that has made the test. According to what they have found, the iPhone 5 sports the higher brightness levels and much more accurate color gamut, while the Galaxy S III manages to excel in the contrast department thanks to the true black color of the AMOLED-based panel.
For the screen of the iPhone 5, Apple has used the new in-cell touch technology, which has allowed the manufacturer to produce a very thin and light device. Best of all, not only has this new tech benefited the physical properties of the device, but has also made its beautiful image quality possible.
11. Ceal89 (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
I agree. The One X has the best screen in the market today. I've compared it with my Galaxy Nexus' HD Samoled display, Xperia S' HD Reality Display (with mobile bravia engine turned on) and even my New iPad's above HD retina display (I don't have an iPhone 5 at the moment) and boy does that screen curb stomp and tea bag every single one of em (not in resolution though when it comes to the iPad). Color's are not too oversaturated, the screen literally looks painted on the display itself and the viewing angles... OH MY G*D THE VIEWING ANGLES! i would love to see that screen on a tablet! Please HTC make it happen! :-3
16. wp8forever (unregistered)
Try that with the lumia 920 and they will see lol
64. chmun77 (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
But too bad the OS sucks to the core. Having a good screen is one thing, but able to provide the best user experiences is another. So, nothing beats Android for best user experiences and capabilities. WP is just another locked down OS like iOS.
66. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Windows phone doesn't suck it's fast , fluid , beautiful and responsive , besides you can jailbreak apple's iOS .
Windows Phone 8 will not be as locked down as iOS , it have SD card support , support for a variety of resolution and Bluetooth file transfer
68. rickywinataa (Posts: 262; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
to see it in a neutral way, there's no the BEST mobile OS, iOS & android are just simple, fast & easy. give the phones to a new smartphone user, they can use it after an hour or so.
android in the other hand, is for another kind of users, users that demand customization, multitasking, open-source
i was an android fanboy once, now i just see iPhone, SIII & Lumia 920 & HTC 8X are simply magnificent
70. Ninetysix (Posts: 1072; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Guess which platform won the user experience poll/test?
22. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
yep, i agree with you. i stopped visiting that site a long ago. Those cnet columnist are the world's greatest apple evangelists out there. Not even a single post i found there to be fair.. Then I found Phone Arena to be neutral in reviews and in all other news related to apple, android or any other platform... I love Phone Arena...
45. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
i agree with you on CNET part but i think you have not been reading Ray`s articles lol
46. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
I haven't read a lot of his articles yet, but IMO most of the posts are unbiased here.
47. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
and i dont think any screen can show real life colors like your eyes can see. so its all comes down to personal taste. I like AMOLED for showing true black and more vivid colors.
P.S. - first line of this article sounds more like an advertisement lol.
65. E.N. (Posts: 2218; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Don't we all already know that the iPhone 5's screen is better though?
3. Lesser_Version (Posts: 2; Member since: 11 Oct 2012)
This may be accurate, however Cnet has become more like Applenet these days where everything Apple puts out is the best. Completely biased website!!
4. rickywinataa (Posts: 262; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
well not exactly biased, iPhone 5 does have a great screen. but Cnet need to remember who has the best screen
17. Abbath (Posts: 99; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
CNET is just confirming that the iPhone screen uses more accurate colors which we already know and frankly most people dont care. We all also know that the SIII uses uses more deeper richer colors than in real life. This does not mean the iPhone has a "better screen".
Perosonally I prefer the large and beautuful colors on the SGSIII instead on the tiny iPhone Screen with toned down colors.
28. SleepingOz (Posts: 2483; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
The iphone5 screen is more accurate than the GSIII, making it a better screen for certain persons.
As for me, I just want my stuff to look great with vivid colours and lots of contrast. Games and videos definitely look better on Amoled screens.
13. binerry (Posts: 69; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Just as PhoneArena has become Androidnet these days. Actually, I recall PhoneArena giving an amazing review to the iPhone and everyone in the Android cult's butt hurt.
29. CDGMobile (Posts: 29; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Yeah best screen shouldn't be up to how many pixels you cram into your screen, it should also factor in whether your screen will survive a fall or whatnot, and if you ever owned an iphone and had it fall then you know 50/50 you going to the repair shop for that broken glass
33. Ninetysix (Posts: 1072; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
iPhone5 is way more durable than S3. Google is your friend.
50. CDGMobile (Posts: 29; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Lol were talking about the same iphones that were coming out of the shipping process already damaged, with light leaking, streaks and halos... that same iphone is being called durable dont start with that google is your friend talk either im just stating the facts. when someone comes out with something that is good i say its good when someone comes out some something bad i just do the same.
52. Ninetysix (Posts: 1072; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Link us any drop tests when the S3 wins against the iPhone5. We'll wait.
63. chmun77 (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
So you gotten a phone just for a sake of dropping it? So what if iPhone wins the drop test? What iPhone offers is still far less than Android. Is a fact, Google is your friend.
62. chmun77 (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
What? Are you going to hit a nail with your phone?
61. jroc74 (Posts: 4006; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
From the article:
According to what they have found, the iPhone 5 sports the higher brightness levels and much more accurate color gamut, while the Galaxy S III manages to excel in the contrast department thanks to the true black color of the AMOLED-based panel.
All I care about in that paragraph is the contrast of Amoled screens. Thats one reason why I like them over LCD now. And viewing angles. Viewing angles help alot for outdoor viewing.
5. wendygarett (unregistered)
I agree CNET is Apple biased, but this is true...
No doubt LG display is good on iPhone 4/4s and Sharp display is good for iPhone 5 and the new ipod touch :)
6. Nookie4u (Posts: 127; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
Seriously, I don't think it makes too much of a difference, after all, S3 is still a top notch phone to this day. It's nothing dramatic for S3 owners to worry about. IMO, AMOLED still looks more beautiful.
31. Ninetysix (Posts: 1072; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Here you go bro. Same conclusion. iPhone5 > S3'
67. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Sharp and LG make good displays
8. StreetNerd (Posts: 699; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
why would u compare with a half year old phone?
9. bbblader (Posts: 536; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
i really hope the PM HD+ display from nokia wins against the iphone
10. r41nier (Posts: 59; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
LCDs are the best in color accuracy. No bluish white and more power efficient than AMOLEDs. I haven't yet seen an AMOLED that is calibrated to the SRGB color space.The S3 even have a PenTile display that's why it's even worse. LCDs will always win against AMOLEDs. CNET maybe biased but it's actually true that the iPhone 5 has a better screen.
23. infernal88 (Posts: 113; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
u got the power efficient part wrong ....AMOLEDs are more power efficient except when it comes to viewing white images
35. r41nier (Posts: 59; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
No, you're actually wrong. It's the other way around. According to Scientific tests, LCDs are more power efficient EXCEPT when it comes to viewing black images. Theoretically, AMOLEDs should be more power efficient, but it terms of normal use, you will never use just a plain black screen. LCDs will always be more power efficient than AMOLEDs. HTC One X, LG Optimus G, Xperia V, and Lumia 920 are just one of the best smarphone display right now avalabile right now.
12. nbringer (Posts: 83; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Nobody's gonna believe these tests are accurate.
14. djoscar4u (Posts: 59; Member since: 10 Sep 2012)
And yes another win for apple and iphone 5!!
15. sudbury78 (Posts: 124; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
Hahahahaha. Apple wins yet again! Notice that post has very few bashing going on. Can't bash facts.
36. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6644; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Notice how post after post was telling the truth.
Super HD AMOLED > Retina
43. r41nier (Posts: 59; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
color sucks on AMOLED. LCDs are still better.
20. FranksGT (Posts: 167; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
To be Honest Opening a Htc One X, and using it as my personal and the Iphone 5 as work phone, The one x has a better display. Also I think my Atrix HD might out do the Iphone 5 or its rather close cant tell a different really.
21. ram1337 (Posts: 6; Member since: 20 Sep 2012)
The retail price for SIII is around $650 while IP5 retails for $850,so even if IP5 wins in some places the 200$ is huge premium to pay for it.
I am surely not crazy to pay this extra for a 4 inch phone
24. android4president (Posts: 5; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
What is this crap? seriously you guys (phonearena) have like 5 different news about "Apple has better screen than s3" or "LG Optimus G has better battery than s3" are you guys trying to ruin for Samsung or what? Suddenly every phone is better than S3?
48. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
dont worry. it happens every time apple releases a new(same) product and its Ray S.
57. HowMyDictate (Posts: 18; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
The important thing is the SG3 is the one they compare everything to because it is one of the best. It is the example all phones should be held up to.
26. infernal88 (Posts: 113; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
okay so every one keep talkin how awsome that iphone use in cell touch ... it is maybe true when it is compared against other LCDs but u always forget that SAMOLEDs already had built in touch long be4 ...and one other thing they have faster refresh rate than any LCD im not sure if faster than the L920 but at least faster than other LCDs including iphone 5
27. pkiran1996 (Posts: 160; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
Has it ever occurred to CNET that Samsung DELIBERATELY use AMOLED for its oversaturated colours? AMOLED is used BECAUSE of its inaccurate saturated colours.
40. psysect (Posts: 49; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
oneX screen is far better than both no debut..its produce very clear picture with higher brightnes.
44. sudbury78 (Posts: 124; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
Everything is apple. It rules the world. First smart statement I have heard all day and its from you!
42. r41nier (Posts: 59; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
HTC One X, LG Optimus G, Xperia V, iPhone 5, and Lumia 920 are just one of the best smartphone displays right now. LCD > AMOLED
49. Rocksteady (Posts: 183; Member since: 29 Apr 2012)
iphone5 can win all the tests they perform, but I'll never buy apple priducts.
I'm upgrading to either GS 3 or Note 2.
53. antmiu2 (Posts: 167; Member since: 19 Jun 2011)
it says iphone 5 is brighter and has more accurate colors while the s3 has a better contrast p;
56. garz_pa (Posts: 152; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Who the hell cares?? I don't give a damn whichever handset gives off the greatest hues and saturation - unless I'm gonna use these phones for digital imaging and photography..
58. tristan7192002 (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
It's sad if any sites says the iPhone 5 is better ...their ifans or bias...If galaxy wins the test ...must be accurate...I have an android an I can admit when there is something better and the iPhone clearly has a better display...suck it up and move on...