iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S III drop test is not for faint-hearted geeks
0. phoneArena 21 Sep 2012, 09:38 posted on
One thing that we don't really enjoy watching is pricey gadgets being tortured, but if that's the only way to test the durability of a high-end smartphone, then count us in. Today's contenders are the iPhone 5, which is now available for purchase in several countries, and the Samsung Galaxy S III, which is currently among the hottest Android smartphones in existence...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
34. astronot (Posts: 17; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
:) I searched the internet on Nokia Lumia tests. Omg, this test is just a romantic comedy compared to how some abuse the Nokia Lumia's. So bettter compare the iP5 to a Nokia Lumia.
49. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
but you cannot use your lumia as a hammer can you ?
9. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
The phone u love to hate!
11. boblight (Posts: 84; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
Well.. I wouldn't do that if I was holding my Nokia. Wouldn't want to be fined for causing damage to public property... hehehehehehe
12. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
lighter iPhone would prevail in this drop test.
15. Fallout09 (Posts: 421; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Of course the SG3 screen cracked a bit more when attempting the 3rd test.
16. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Cheap plastic loses!!! Haha Samsung last year you won but now apple is the winner.
21. askbingask (Posts: 22; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
last year samsung won coz they copied iphone this time they didn't and sIII 's design is s**t like samsung
89. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
you 2 are such trolls
we had good comments from both apple and android users saying good things then you 2 have to go about how samsung copied and its hsit blah blah blah
grow the f**k up
17. wolstenbeast (Posts: 25; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
OK, so yay the I-phone is less fragile, and we already knew the S3, falls to pieces on impact. I did notice that the I5, seems to always land in the same area regarding impact. This might actually be by design based upon the previous screen fragility issues.
I would prefer to see a test done in a much more scientific manner, we need Mythbusters!
Plus lets try a test against multiple high end androids. We all know the S3 suffers from brittle phone disease.
19. phljcnth (Posts: 483; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
As long as I'm not dropping my Galaxy S III, it's still way better than any iPhone.
20. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
samsung need to improve their materials, really impressive performance from the 5, disappointed at the Gorilla Glass 2 it seems more fragile than the first versions
22. skymitch89 (Posts: 1293; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
He drops the iPhone 5, but tosses the GS3. This isn't a fair drop test. One of the only true and fair drop tests I've seen is placing the device(s) to be tested on the truck and/or top of a car and drive off with them there.
24. Veigald (Posts: 290; Member since: 13 Jan 2012)
Isn't this guy from Android Authority? Would guess he's not very Apple-biased...
27. thegreatone99 (Posts: 12; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
did anyone notice that the guy threw the galaxy s III more harder than the iphone 5
28. traccer055 (Posts: 11; Member since: 04 Sep 2009)
I am waiting for the better drop test this one was very lazily done.
50. wendygarett (unregistered)
he don't even remove the screen protector to drop it...
Laziest drop test i had ever seen :(
I wanna to see another drop test of iphone 5 to double check on it
29. Hallucinator (Posts: 344; Member since: 24 May 2010)
Android Authority does a drop test and some of you Android users still whine and cry about the test being unfair. F@#$ing get over yourselves.
36. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
show that Apple did improve after all the cracked glass from Iphone 4 and 4S. >_
42. Naitto (Posts: 50; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
I'm not a big Android fan but I'll bet the maps still worked on the the gs III and didn't on the iphone.
46. yowanvista (Posts: 340; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
There is purely nothing scientific about those tests. I wonder how Android & Apple Fanboys can ever draw valid deductions about those tests.
90. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
they wont, they will just argue and most will see this test as fact that there phone is the best.........drop tests aren't conclusive for so many reasons it only gives a general idea
51. Sprissy (Posts: 158; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
Not surprising to me...dropped my S3 the first week and the screen shattered but it still worked...no matter given a choice I would still choose an S3!
52. aahmed215 (Posts: 165; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
Drop tests don't paint the most accurate picture unless the test is repeated several times. Simple scientific theory. There are so many factors that go in the drop.
Anyways, I don't really care if the S3 can survive impacts better than the iPhone 5 or vice versa. I will put on a case on either device. I also take care of my phones.
54. wanted (Posts: 2; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
Both handsets will feel f****d if tested against lumia920
57. f1r3z0r (Posts: 90; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
RFor some reason he always drop the S3 with the screen facing the floor with increase the possibility of breaking the phone screen faster on the other hand he also drop the Iphone side way preventing any damage so I will conclude this is not a fair drop test
59. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
This obviously has nothing to do with the build quality but simply the way the phone is designed.
The moment I saw iPhone 5 I knew it will be much more resistant to drops than previous ones, because of the way that the frame is aligned onto the screen - Ip4 screen glass was simply very exposed at a certain angle of impact.
Similar thing is with the GS 3 - the all-glass front means that the edge of screen will directly come in contact with the surface during the side impact.
With a protective case, S3 is just fine
76. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
A good case with impact resistant rubbers/plastics on the corners helps quite a bit.
Thats why I laugh at peeps that buy 600 devices and then squirm over a $20 case to protect it. lol.
60. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
These idiots needs to DROP OR THROW THE PHONES hard on the ground to see how it can withstand a fall.
63. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3618; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Such a darn waste...
Why don't you hold a contest and give the phones as prize as it is...i don't care which one breaks and which one cannot. Even if they don't break at first fall, the second or the third fall will break them.
77. Techboi (Posts: 84; Member since: 20 Sep 2012)
Apple finally made a solid phone impress how well it handled the drop test
79. adamross55 (Posts: 15; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
His voice is hilarious at 3:03 haha 'ohhhhh nooooo!'
81. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Put these phones up against my droid RAZR and the RAZR wins...hands down
83. ryq24 (Posts: 698; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
second drop test i have seen where samsung lost to iphone. samsung phones like most of their products are made not to last very long because they know most people will replace their phone anyway after 1 to 2 years of use.
85. wolstenbeast (Posts: 25; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I own the GS3, but use my Razor Maxx most often. Hate my daughter's I-phone 4s (had to get a signal extender, so she could talk or text in the house).
Basically, user interface, battery life and features are much more important to me than indestructible build. My GS3, has a Trident Case, I do not have a case on the Razor Maxx because i am more scared that, that phone will break a toe if i drop it on my foot.
92. DechyX (Posts: 131; Member since: 16 May 2011)
I've had over 30 phones and only one screen ever shattered... and that was because I threw it on the ground.... I fail to see the importance of this video. Buy a damn case
100. henrys (Posts: 15; Member since: 06 Aug 2012)
is anyone else bothered by him calling the samsung galaxy s 3 an LCD
103. Jooplol (Posts: 4; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
I find it amusing that every android hugger I know and see is always bashing or paying/giving attention to Apple and iPhone. If your OS, software, hardware and everything else is supposedly always better, why waste your time lol. My father used to say "Anyone who makes fun of something if most likely jealous." Like I said, amusing. (Btw, I own an S2)
104. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
yeah i love how people like you always say its android fans against ifans yet never acknowledge how the ifans do the same and most of the time are petty and immature in there comments
and you saying you have an s2 means nothing. i have an 808 what does that add .....nothing exactly