iPhone 5 - is it worth upgrading?
0. phoneArena 12 Sep 2012, 15:42 posted on
Now that the iPhone 5 is official, many iPhone 4S owners will have troubles sleeping at night as they will be wondering whether upgrading to the latest model is worth it. After all, we can't deny that the smartphone looks awesome on paper and has more than a few features that make it better than its predecessor. But on the other hand, an iPhone is an expensive investment, especially if one has to pay a fee in order to upgrade early. That is why we decided to give these iPhone 4S owners a hand with our post. We have collected all of the iPhone 5 major upgrades in one place and compared them to what the iPhone 4S has to offer. First things first, let us discuss the iPhone 5's design...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. KingShango (Posts: 89; Member since: 16 May 2012)
The only reason for a 4s user to upgrade would be LTE
35. shy2papa (Posts: 228; Member since: 23 Jan 2010)
Personally upgrading from iphone 3gs to iphone 4 to the Iphone 5 is good deal, but upgrading from iphone 4 to the iphone 4s looked really stupid to me since the phones looked the same only had internal upgrade.
36. cheetah2k (Posts: 1182; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
I'd wait to see if Samsung bans the i5 from the shelves over LTE patents before getting one..
47. tedkord (Posts: 7687; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
If you wanted one, then is get one before a ban. They can't come and take it back from you.
65. imsickwithphone (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 17 May 2012)
42. traccer055 (Posts: 11; Member since: 04 Sep 2009)
If you're a 4s user an upgrade you are a fool any other user is foolish not to upgrade
72. DonkeySauce (Posts: 189; Member since: 03 Dec 2011)
If I don't upgrade to the iPhone 5, how will all the other hipsters at the coffee house (whose opinion I don't care about) know that I'm really cool?
3. Savage (unregistered)
Not really. Apple users, be smart. Wait for the 5S next year. Maybe it'll bring NFC, if you are lucky.
7. md227a (Posts: 137; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
I agree, 4S users wait till next year. Unless you have to have lte or a larger screen.
12. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
and in that case get the Xperia V
GREAT design, Larger Screen (4.3 inches) and ummmm better OS? lol
26. true1984 (Posts: 692; Member since: 23 May 2012)
yeah 720p on a 4.3" screen does look beautiful. I really wish it was on Sprint...
45. s1ebee (Posts: 20; Member since: 04 Apr 2012)
No... be even smarter, the 6 will be out the year after... But if you want to be extra smart wait for the 6s the year after...... Or, to be beyond smart the 7 etc etc etc.... Just buy a f**king phone and be happy, they're all very clever
4. intos (Posts: 89; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
if they give to you like a present ... yes its worth... but no way to give money to buy it !!
5. imsickwithphone (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 17 May 2012)
iPhone 5 - is it worth upgrading?
Tim Cook - absolutely
VERY LOL AND TROLL!!!!
28. ekia007 (Posts: 61; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Hey Time Cook, is this a revolutionary phone? I think apple is out of innovation.
34. imsickwithphone (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 17 May 2012)
Hey Time Cook, is this a revolutionary phone?
Tim Cook - absolutely
I think apple is out of innovation.
Tim Cook - I agree with you
37. cheetah2k (Posts: 1182; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
It's clear Apple spent more $ in law suits than R&D for the iPhone 5....
6. doejon (Posts: 392; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
no way lol haha isheeps now pls say that the iphone 5 is better than the rest of the world innoavtion? hahaha shame on u apple
8. htc_prep (Posts: 303; Member since: 09 Oct 2009)
yes its worth upgrading if you have the 4 and are elegible for upgrade and have the money to spend
yes if you have a broken iphone 4s and some how get an upgrade.
no. if you have a 4s working fine and happy with your current carrier and elegible for an upgrade.
no. not if you plan on paying full retail.
27. true1984 (Posts: 692; Member since: 23 May 2012)
paying full retail for an iPhone is plain insanity
9. d_striders (Posts: 7; Member since: 06 Aug 2012)
Iphone 5 is not even in the league. I don't think its worth it.
17. rainyday (Posts: 44; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
"League of extraordinary smarthphones"...starring Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC ONE X, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nokia Lumia 920.
Sadly, iPhone 5 didn't get the part for this movie.
49. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
aren't all the phone already discounted?..
52. Jelly_Bean (Posts: 109; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
@Gallitoking :- I just stopped to thumb you down.
59. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
All the more reason to get them. paying less for soooo much moreeeee.
76. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7043; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
just to thumb you down cause you're not in a movie
75. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7043; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
& the BOND PHONE XPERIA T already stared in a movie
10. alexanderOmar (Posts: 4; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
expwcted a complete change in ios but that didnt happen :/!
11. rainyday (Posts: 44; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
yes, yes, yes... Apple, take my money now!! ....but no more than $10.
13. doejon (Posts: 392; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
now i know why apple try so hard to sue samsung hahaha cus the realised that s3 and the other phone are way better
14. Connie.Linghus (banned) (Posts: 32; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
I believe that most of the anticipated troubles with sleep will be over being torn on how to ditch their MiNi phones and go with the Galaxy Note 2 once that is released. It, too, will have LTE and, additionally, everything else that the iPhone 5 should have had.
19. GoBears (Posts: 431; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
I thumbed you up for comment and your name lol!
38. Connie.Linghus (banned) (Posts: 32; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
It's a burden I've carried my entire existence. And, thanks:)
53. Jelly_Bean (Posts: 109; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
@GoBears:- I am gonna sue you for using the same logo brother :p trollllll
56. GoBears (Posts: 431; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Sorry I filed for a patent for this a long time ago when I copied it off someone who wanted everyone to use it but didn't patent it.
29. E.N. (Posts: 2577; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
The Note II is the go to device if you don't mind carrying a phone that large in size, but not everyone wants that. I think right now its (mainly) between the iPhone 5, SIII, One X, Lumia 920 and Droid Razr Max HD.
39. Connie.Linghus (banned) (Posts: 32; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
It's "Maxx"; just like the new iPhone 5, your post is incomplete.
54. Jelly_Bean (Posts: 109; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
@ E.N:- Not everyone have the same baby hands like you mate.
62. E.N. (Posts: 2577; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Its not about hand size, its about wanting to carry around a device like that. Last time I checked, even people with small hands have tablets. Doesn't mean I want to carry one wherever I go.
If you like the size, then good for you.
64. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you might not like size, but your girlfriend does :)
71. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
E.N. the Note can fit right in your pockets or your purse.
15. torr310 (Posts: 595; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
The larger screen only increases the vertical length of the phone, which means nothing really changed. Most people browse the web by holding the phone vertically and you don't really see the wider content. Also the size of keyboard may be the same too.
But the multi-band chip and slimmer/lighter body are envious.
33. infernal88 (Posts: 113; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
i actually never use the landscape view when browsing online xD , i hate it when i have to type something in that mode the keyboard eats all the atleast that is my opinion !
60. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
the longer phone keeps reminding me of a tv remote... @_@
16. Jphones (Posts: 235; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
People will still buy it even though its the iPhone4ss extra s for slightly better.smh now wonder they sued Samsung they new the GS3 would kill their iPhone4ss.
20. jamrockjones (Posts: 345; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
If people were willing to upgrade from the 4 to the 4s, I'm sure you'll have plenty of people upgrading since they actually changed something about the phone.
22. theBankRobber (Posts: 674; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Only if you have a iPhone 4 , then the iPhone 5 would be worth it.
23. GoBears (Posts: 431; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
I hate Apple. I really do. That said, this phone is better in every aspect over the 4/4s. Only downfall is that it runs boring old IOS. If I liked IOS and had a 4s I'd get it for sure. It may not be an upgrade for us Android users but it's sure an upgrade for any iphone user. Oh yeah, wait until reports of battery life come in though!
25. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1705; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Im also curious to see how the battery life will hold up with LTE and the larger display.
48. JC557 (Posts: 1247; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Same here, I'm interested to see how power consumption is on the A15.
63. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Its NOT an A15. That is a rumor, not a fact.
You realy think that Apple got a huge jump on samsung for A15's? Considering that Apple's chips come FROM samsung, think how likely that is.
Its the A5X chip with maybe a minor GPU mod and underclocked (compared to the ipad) to conserve power. I bet 5 bux.
24. tedkord (Posts: 7687; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
If I had a 4 or lower, and was up for a subsidy, sure. If I had a 4s and was mid contract, and had to pay nearly full retail, no.
30. eman99 (Posts: 287; Member since: 03 Aug 2010)
might as well go with the quad core note 2 lte if they want the lte but nothing is magical about this new iphone
31. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
iphone 5 being 112g light is considered a positive but when other phones are light its considered a negative ie the international s2 was 116g but was said its too light and the s3 which is 133g was also said to be too light
32. Cosmo (Posts: 32; Member since: 03 May 2012)
now we know how phones will look like in the nest few months: elongated screens! im pretty sure Sammy's stirring up, once again, to COPY the iPhone 5! ha!
40. PhoneCritic (Posts: 474; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
No. Not if you have an iPhone 4s. It is basically the same phone minus the LTE connectivity. If your contract is not up then stick with the 4s.