iPad mini profit margin is "significantly below" Apple's average
0. phoneArena 25 Oct 2012, 17:45 posted on
We've already seen that Apple's earnings call was a bit of a mixed bag, and that for the third quarter in a row, Apple collected less in profits than the quarter before. It looks like that may be a trend, as Apple has also said in the earnings call that the iPad mini is being sold at profit margin "significantly below" the average Apple product...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. plgladio (Posts: 313; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
"Just how much of a profit should be revealed when the teardowns start coming next week"
Does that contain diamond chips?
3. gallitoking (Posts: 4693; Member since: 17 May 2011)
is brand recognition.. is what the Apple logo represents to people that is not included on those comparison
16. tedkord (Posts: 5907; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
To some people, that logo is all that matters. Slap it on a turd, record sales.
You know which people, don't you?
17. someones4 (Posts: 622; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
the apple logo represents a whole new generation of overpriced products, stolen designs and false innovation.
4. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
LOL... thats already below average? my god... what a .... oh never mind... what can i expect - they are apple..even i like apple devices...
5. wendygarett (unregistered)
You make a big mistake Mr. Cook, if you think you can convince us that iPad is better because of bigger screen than nexus 7 you are wrong. We don't wanna low resolution display.
you also an Apple user and you must know by now that we want quality (brightness) not quantity (big-ness)
6. redmd (Posts: 960; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
OT, and here I thought you were a sexy chick. you evolved man.
8. wendygarett (unregistered)
Lol that person is my cousin, but yeah I'm dude :)
9. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Keep in mind that the whole point of the resolution being as it is is to avoid compatibility troubles with tablet apps in the App Store. Everything will automatically work, because this is the same resolution and same aspect ratio as the iPad 2, just on a smaller screen.
10. wendygarett (unregistered)
But isn't that below 200ppi is kinda awkward? It's kinda blur don't you think?
11. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I'll have to see it in person, but I doubt most people will really notice the difference. I'm just glad to see that Apple isn't forcing devs to update all their apps for a new product.
12. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
and BTW iPad 2 screen is just ok for me.. not having a problem!
7. Savage (unregistered)
The whole point of a 7" tablet is compact-ness (if thats even a word) and being priced low. Apple put a screen size bigger than its competitors and priced it "premium". Add to that, old hardware. You surely don't expect to be a success, right?
13. BadAssAbe (Posts: 434; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
I like to take a guess
iPad Mini 16GB $330 - $50 profit (not bad)
iPad mini 64GB 4G $830 - $200 profit (bad)
15. BadAssAbe (Posts: 434; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
Yeah your right, i meant $630 with $200 dollor profit
18. someones4 (Posts: 622; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
A lower profit margin for apple will still be very very high for others. What's cheaper than a kidney?
21. JonBjSig (Posts: 176; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
When I saw the iPad mini price I thought "Wow, that actually seems reasonable".
Then I saw the specs.
Then I remembered that it's Apple so $330 is still kind of reasonable.
But that's only the 16GB WiFi version, when you go up in storage the price goes up 100$, plus another 100$ if you want cellular, that's a lot.