iPad Air has 31% smaller battery, yet same great battery life
0. phoneArena 23 Oct 2013, 04:05 posted on
To make it as thin as it is, Apple had to shave off precious micrometers from a number of components that go into the iPad Air, including its screen, its shell, and its built-in rechargeable battery. The latter, in particular, is 25% thinner. This, however, has led to a decrease in battery capacity. While the iPad 4 had a 42.5Wh battery, the cell inside the iPad Air can hold no more than 32.4Wh of charge – a 31% difference...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. GeekMovement (Posts: 1497; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
i would rather they keep the same size as before which is still plenty thin and just add a massive battery instead.
7. androiphone20 (Posts: 1107; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
it has really improved for single-handed use
13. vincelongman (Posts: 616; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Are you seriously saying that the iPad Air can be used with one hand?
17. jbitounis (Posts: 50; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Yes, he is.
Being able to use a phone with one hand means you can reach anywhere on the screen with your thumb. Being able to use a tablet with one hand means you don't get tired holding it while watching a movie, reading a book etc.
Don't confuse single-handed use of phones with single-handed use of tablets.
15. TwentyWendy (banned) (Posts: 65; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
Dedenne don't think people want dictionary sized tablets, light is carrying :3
2. THE.DARK.KNIGHT (banned) (Posts: 269; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
iPad air and iPad mini 2 are the best tablets available right now!
4. brrunopt (Posts: 244; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
"are the best tablets available for me right now! "
11. androiphone20 (Posts: 1107; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Did you check out the "Thermo Wizard" Mac Pro computer?
3. _Bone_ (Posts: 2061; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
It's interesting that Samsung managed to add a larger battery into the smaller Galaxy S4, not bad capacity on the DROID MAXX and LG G2 either for their size. Of course the iPad air was all about making it lighter - and it's a nice achievement at 1lbs - but nobody wants to hear "smaller battery" no matter of the context.
5. brrunopt (Posts: 244; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
They are using the same A7 not a A7x version) so it will also take less power...
Still, i don't why is everybody so astonished when the Xperia Z is only 26grm heavier...
8. androiphone20 (Posts: 1107; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Still, i don't why is everybody so
astonished when the Xperia Z is
only 26grm heavier...
well it comes a long way and if someone's choice says apple your point simply doesn't count
16. ahomad (Posts: 131; Member since: 15 May 2012)
and it is thinner and ~10 months old so it closer to previous iPad Launch. Lets see how the new Sony tablet compare to this in 2-3months
6. darkskoliro (Posts: 885; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Its all about efficiency (y) Don't make me carry around extra battery size and weight if you aren't going to optimise it properly. Not saying I don't want a big battery, I just want one that shows me numbers with the onscreen time rather than the back of the battery!
10. twens (Posts: 442; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
just because apple says its 10hrs doesnt mean it is 10hrs. Iphonearena when did you review the ipad airs battery to know if this claim by apple is correct? I am an ipad 3 user and when i use it heavily battery drains like hell. it only last you 10hrs when you are not using it.
12. robinlim85 (Posts: 85; Member since: 03 May 2013)
shows me a device that doesn't drain like hell when use it heavily,i can drain my galaxy s3 in an hours playing some heavy games
i doubt u has an ipad,my ipad last me well over 10 hours with mix of heavy and light application. sometime its goes a week without recharge with intermittent usage
14. mr.techdude (Posts: 491; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Lol apple puts less battery to make their products thinner whereas Sammy puts bigger battery and still make thinner products
18. rantao333 (Posts: 155; Member since: 21 May 2013)
im more curious about how samsung reduce the capacity of battery while maintain battery life, and using metal body while made their phone lighter