iOS 6.1 in beta, here are some of the new features
0. phoneArena 08 Nov 2012, 13:29 posted on
Thanks to the beta version of iOS 6.1, we have a good idea of what to expect from the latest build of Apple's mobile OS; we already know that it allows Siri to purchase movie tickets for you, but will iOS 6.1 bring the new new features that you were hoping for?...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
So virtually you just got Siri to give you a link to a site to buy a ticket, and a new feature is the music controls are better spaced? that isn't a new feauture thats a fix.
5. Izzy_V (Posts: 216; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Be thankful the writer didn't include something like "These new features are examples of true innovation, if only Android and WP could do half of the things ios can etc., etc." seeing as how biased they have been in the past months.
The first feature mentioned isn't something I'd like to have as I would prefer buying stuff manually than relying on today's voice recognition technology.for purchases (or apple's, anyway). As for the second, as kshell said, it's more of a fix, not a new feature.
9. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
At least no one said Apple Maps was innovation, except apple, its not innovation its a really really horrible rip-off of google maps.
55. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
I'm DEFINANTLY using the improved feature were the music controls are more spaced out
12. MAXXtreme007 (Posts: 22; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
And just remember this is a 0.1 update... Compare that to Android's 4.1 to 4.2 update!
37. ahmed_ali_yossef2010 (Posts: 164; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
google now will punch siri on the face if they don't make it faster
39. Rager099 (Posts: 29; Member since: 06 Apr 2009)
Changes everything again... more like changes nothing again..
41. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
I wouldn't count on iOS receiving a major revision in the next year. Right now, the iOS team needs to fix the problems with Apple Maps, Siri, and little technical problems with iOS 6. But I think Apple fully understands that iOS 7 needs to be a major revision. Just like the iPhone 4S, I think Apple has one more year to do something dramatically different or the general populous will start questioning what they will consider an aging OS. At some point, they won't care how functional iOS is, they will want it to look different.
I am very interested to see what Jony Ive is going to do with iOS in the next year. But I imagine he will save most of his revisions for iOS 7 and the iPhone 6 since he will be leading both
43. darkkjedii (Posts: 17028; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I agree bro. I think iOS 7 will have major facelift. I've design vision will carry over nicely to iOS 7. Should b sweet +1
46. AnTuTu (Posts: 1529; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
hahahahahahaits funny to see iFans crying for not getting what they have expected lolzz.
I love when they say "Apple will re engineer everything in its next products and there will be drastic changes" funny enough.
It actually reflects the same image of iFans what Sammy presented in its "Next Big Thing is Already Here" ad. hahahahaha
48. xtremesv (Posts: 276; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
I really doubt Apple would do something revolutionary with iOS next year. In their minds there's no need to bother because the standard Apple user will buy any thing that has a shiny Apple logo. Besides iOS is now seen as ideal for non-savvy and old people who have problems assimilating technology.
50. GENERAL-LEVY (banned) (Posts: 23; Member since: 06 Nov 2012)
What changes? it's been the same for the past 4 years, ios7 will just be the same as previous.
56. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
You never know. Remember iOS was headed by one guy for all five years of it's public life. Putting someone else in charge that visibly didn't like certain looks and features will mean a big change. Not the normal Apple rhetoric, but an actual change.
45. AnTuTu (Posts: 1529; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Apart from 'Siri' there is nothing new in Apple anymore and I think that's the reason they are going down everyday.
Today they dropped by $20 :)
18. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
I have to agree! I am an Apple user but I am starting to get bored of the enviroment. Funny thing is... I was so excited for the iPhone 5.. but once it came out I though that there wasn't enough there for me to make the switch from my current iPhone 4 to the new one. Lately, I've even considered switching to the GS3!
My prediction is that the next iOS (7?) will be completely reengineered. It will provide a similar GUI as MAC and possibly work together much like WIndows 8. This will be leaps and bounds better and more of what Apple users need. Myself... I will give Apple one more year and if they dont make drastic changes I am jumping the ship.
20. GENERAL-LEVY (banned) (Posts: 23; Member since: 06 Nov 2012)
You should'ev jumped well befor the iP4s.
26. lauremar (Posts: 181; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
Your prediction is NOT going to happen. This is more like wishful thinking on your part. Jony Ive is not a software guy, he is a hardware and my prediction is he will screw up IOS more and more... Haha
44. darkkjedii (Posts: 17028; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
How do u know that ive can't b great at software? The man has great design skills that can carry over. Your prediction of him screwing iOS up is just that...a prediction. And not a smart one at that.
60. deathyyy (Posts: 101; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
Boy, definitely taking your prediction more seriously than anyone else. Lauremar is the final word!
31. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
I would love to see your prediction come true. Unfortunately, I still wouldn't switch to them because I don't have any Apple devices at home. Window 8 phone... on the other hand sound good, especially after I upgraded my desktop and laptop to Windows 8 at home.
42. lyndon420 (Posts: 3157; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
I'm sure you'll love Android once you jump aboard. Kudos to you for not being blind or a zombie (its actually very refreshing to see for once).
51. darkkjedii (Posts: 17028; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
My second phone is the Htc one x. If u jumped ship, what would u jump too?
62. deathyyy (Posts: 101; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
Same. Well, the Evo LTE but I digress.
It's ok though, wanting a high end device that isn't bigger than my hand automatically makes me a sheep:)
3. NickPeters (Posts: 69; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
"One cosmetic change has been made. On the lock screen, the music controls are now spaced apart more, making them more comfortable to use."
Wooooooow! Incredible and revolutionary!
6. zeli007 (Posts: 7; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Apple starting to look like Blackberry5 years ago . Lots of money and sleeping.
17. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Duh, it's the background color (remember, it's black with all the other iterations). This new Azure Blue background alone is worth the upgrade, even if iLose my jAilbreak.
21. GENERAL-LEVY (banned) (Posts: 23; Member since: 06 Nov 2012)
i have the iP532Gb but with ios5, with reflash nand-drive. Wouldn't ever want to lose my jailbreak, for what new feautres?
29. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Oh... the blue background I see... that's what I call an innovation!
11. binerry (Posts: 99; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I'm an Apple guy typically, and if these initial "features" are any indication of an OS update, it makes me think, What the hell Apple??. Apple's strategy typically has been a hardware upgrade followed by a software upgrade over and over. With all these hardware upgrades with the iPhone, Mini, iPad, Mac... they need to get their software asses in gear, and these little "features" are certainly no indicator they're focused on software yet.
13. fervid (Posts: 183; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Over 200 New Features!
1. Siri Can now take you to a website to buy tickets.
2-200. 199 total pixels of space were added between your buttons.
Since Siri is web based (including processing your voice...try talking to Siri in Airplane Mode) how is an update to it part of the OS? I make changes to my applications all the time for things like better button/textbox/label placement and most of the time don't even call it a new version or just include it without mentioning in the next iteration. That is like changing your wallpaper and calling it a new phone.
16. binerry (Posts: 99; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I just can't get over the fact that they don't seem to make any real attempt to update Siri at a faster pace, or simply even control internal settings like turning wifi or bluetooth off, or set a specific profile to save battery life.
14. GENERAL-LEVY (banned) (Posts: 23; Member since: 06 Nov 2012)
Apple released 6.0.1 so people or devs will find it diffuclt to jailbreak.
You buy a iPhone to jailbreak and get the apps! Why pay for apps, when its free.
61. deathyyy (Posts: 101; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
To.. I dunno, support the devs? I'm sure you download APKs for all your Android apps too. Thanks for that! :D
15. gallitoking (Posts: 4717; Member since: 17 May 2011)
this update will be in 60% in all devices by Monday,...closed system. the best!!!!
32. GeekMovement (Posts: 2022; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
it's sad how you're excited about this "update" when there really is nothing new. Spaced controls and Movie tickets. I'm surprised with these two minor updates that not all of the devices will be updated by Monday.
33. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
He's know for his sarcasms, can't you tell he's being sarcastic there?
He gets a thumb up from me!
35. GeekMovement (Posts: 2022; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
I would doubt that. Certainly he would not be dissing his one and only.. Apple is the only thing in his life if he were to be mocking it, well, he's got nothing left..
34. HouTexan (Posts: 406; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
You can tell he's just forcing a comment just for the sake of doing it.
36. GeekMovement (Posts: 2022; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Yes and he was trying to impress upon us the fact that android updates take a long time whereas his 6.1 update will be covering 60% of all devices in just a couple days. In all honesty it's nothing exciting with those two updates/fixes.
19. GENERAL-LEVY (banned) (Posts: 23; Member since: 06 Nov 2012)
So there is no freedom of what you can do and install?
So you have no rights?
Apple are very smart brain-washing the unsmarts!
So Apple steals its okay? But you can't?
What are you, Royallist?
22. CreeDiddy (Posts: 560; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
This is downright boring....I would like to see things with my iPhone 5...
- 2x faster speed with Siri and better integrated with Safari and Maps
- Rocker toggles in multi-tasker bin for Brightness and Wifi
- Clear all apps button in multi-tasker bin
- Better use notification bar with app downloads
- Live icons that update all major apps
This would be a good start!
23. SpeakYourMind (Posts: 7; Member since: 01 Nov 2012)
Ask Siri to buy tickets with its own money....That would be a feature I'll pay for...
24. lauremar (Posts: 181; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
Still using iPhone 3GS here with IOS 5.1.1, the last version before crappy IOS 6. This baby is not getting updated... LOL And moving to Lumia 920 as well as Nexus 4 as my next phones.... iFanBoys = Suckers
25. lauremar (Posts: 181; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
Oh, and Google maps is great on this phone!
28. ilia1986 (unregistered)
iOS 6.01 -> 6.1
Siri can buy movie tickets.
Music controls are more spaced apart.
Android 4.1.1 -> 4.2
Miracast videostream service
New Gmail App
Google now enhancements
PhotoSphere camera mode
New clock app
New settings toggle screen on notification center
Nuff said? Apple is PATHETIC!!
38. leftheodo (Posts: 81; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
I would like to see a comparison of "iOS ver 1 --> iOS 6.1 vs Android 1.5 --> 4.2 " . That would be amusing. Apple is the new Blackberry
63. deathyyy (Posts: 101; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
Wow, a new Gmail app?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
I hope you realize nothing you mentioned except miracast and lockscreen is even remotely more exciting or important than anything from iOS 6.
Since when has anyone expected Apple to make big shifts from OS x.1 to OS x.2 or anything like that? They never have, and I doubt that will change.
Now if Apple would just get off their high horse and let me put toggle switches in my multitask bin, I'd be 100% satisfied. (Or if someone will make a legitimate high end ICS device under 4.5 inches....)
40. Scientist (Posts: 19; Member since: 22 Oct 2012)
You know actually ish**ps will be happy with these updates because they are hypnotized to thinking that everything apple does is revolutionary and superior.
58. kach22 (Posts: 149; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
Phone Arena, I object to this title of the article which is indicative of clear bias. These can merely be called as a fixing up some apps. You wouldn't call these as new if HTC/Samsung/Sony /Nokia brought these in their Apps or OS.
It's pathetic on your part.
64. deathyyy (Posts: 101; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
Correct me if i'm wrong, but Phone Arena didn't decide what this update was named. Just because you hate Apple for whatever pointless reason doesn't mean Phone Arena is wrong for sharing something.
65. kach22 (Posts: 149; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
Now where did you see that I hate Apple? But you're comment did make me feel that it is okay to hate apple as not only they are most arrogant tech company on earth but also they transfer this arrogance to their followers.