iOS 6 vs iOS 7: did performance drop?
0. phoneArena 19 Sep 2013, 08:01 posted on
With iOS 7 now officially out, we had hordes of iPhone users report their experience to PhoneArena through pretty much every possible medium.
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
58. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
apple just gave you the finger....print scanner
48. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
But Papa....then Apple would have the dreaded "F" word on their hands! Same thing happened when iOS 5 released and made the 3G unless. The 4 is definitely receiving the most complains that I've seen on FB and G+
30. Shinydesert (Posts: 62; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
My iPad Mini feels laggier and less responsive,along with a faster battery drain. Can't wait to downgrade.
37. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10087; Member since: 14 May 2012)
A5 chip isn't the fastest of the group. The only models that saw a little boost in speed were the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 for some users. All other devices saw a performance drop.
33. power_x (Posts: 264; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
I have an iPad 4 and by far I haven't noticed any lag , any battery drain or any sort of bugs
Though I only have one single bug : Changing the wallpaper .
35. casperspirits (Posts: 15; Member since: 20 Sep 2012)
not surprised at all. another post from this author, Chris. full of crap
42. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
A lot of comments about slowness, can we all agree to finally stop with the constant lag comments once and for all?
55. Taters (Posts: 5753; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Android will never break that label as long as iPhone and WP8 fans exist. First impressions are unfortunately the bible to humans and if your first experience with Android was a $49 prepaid 1ghz single core w 512 mb, you are scarred on Android for life.
46. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
Did anyone really expect to see the OS run better? I mean really they just themed it, I've read no where that the OS was optimized in any way. Other then Control Center, iRadio, and a few other app to core apss this is the same as iOS 6, just with new transitions for Folders and new colors.
That said, I didn't notice any lag on the mini but also really didn't play around with it much after updating (the kids wanted it back after taking it for more than an hour to DL and install the update). I did find the way the screen moves slightly when you tilt the device front to back and side to side a little strange and kinda freaked me out at first.
50. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 408; Member since: 24 May 2011)
Any body updated their ipad 2? How's the performance? Update worth it? Coz I'm very happy with how it is currently.
62. janece_b (Posts: 8; Member since: 18 Sep 2013)
Don't update it. I did mine and it has a huge lag. I think the update are better for newer devices. It's probably a ploy to make you go buy a newer version because now the old one is so slow. I hope there is a update to fix this :(
54. Taters (Posts: 5753; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Now that they can't hide behind simple software with zero multitasking anymore, we should hear more and more about iPhone lag. And it will only get worse once Apple opens their closed system even more.
That is the SO called high end Apple hardware for you. The funny thing is the GS2 would probably run iOS 7 better than the 4s and its a lot older. Good times!
56. papss (unregistered)
Ss can't handle what it has so I wouldn't talk yet. The s4 is a joke
65. Topcat488 (Posts: 1312; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Dude you have 3 other comments blasting Apple, how you're glad you didn't update your wifes' ipad, how you might not use your ipad because of "lag", and because the lag is driving you crazy...
Then you call the S4 a joke... S4 is a computer phone sir, iphone is a apps launcher with a fair camera.
"Joke", sigh, okay.
78. Taters (Posts: 5753; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
It seems to perform fine to the millions that use it but either way, the GS4 would make IOS 7 PUURRRRRR.
If you think that the S4 is a joke, what would that make all other phones bar the new S800 devices running 4.2.2 and touchwiz? Super jokes?
74. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
is hilarious and well deserved for ifans. All those "andrawd lagz" gets old as dirt really fast. Watch how they deny the lag of ios in the coming months. Do me a favor guys. When someone says ios doesnt lag throw a google search link from an apple forum and shut them up. Seriously apple and windows fans arguments suck so hard thats their last resort is an android lags comment. But look whats happening to ios? Apple wants to be like android? Fine let them. It's time for them to experience lag also.
64. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1705; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Ahahaha how is this news? It's the same every year. The old iPhones always lag with the "new" iOS. So much for optimization LOL
66. raghu67 (Posts: 26; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
why is IOS7 a heavy OS than IOS6..
only thing changed is the background from black to color....
little transition in the icons when phone is tilted...
67. Salehqaseer (Posts: 3; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
My iPod Touch 5 is getting a boost!! It loads much faster after iOS7 update
My iPhone4s didnt lag till now...!! But cellular network isnt working..!!!
71. greathero1 (Posts: 553; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
My iPad 3 slowed to a halt right after I downloaded the update but after about 10 minutes of going through the menus and downloading the updates for my apps I can say that performance issues for me have been very minimal. So far so good (knocking on wood)!
72. techaman (unregistered)
the problem for apple now is they are trying to add more stuff to get to androids level but they are noticing that when you offer nothing and then add things you get lag not many apple users where tech savy so they did not care or have to show anything the world changed and now they are lagging no pun intended
87. Shinydesert (Posts: 62; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
Yup,that is totally true. More features,more colors,animations etc... same hardware=lag,less battery life.
Happy I did not update my iphone 5.
75. slandy7 (Posts: 12; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
I have 2 iPad 2s, one with iOS 6 and one with iOS 7, and iOS 6 is definitively snappier. The older processor seems to have trouble flying through all of the visual enhancements in iOS 7. There could also be a lack of optimization, especially with 3rd party apps, so we'll see if performance improves over time.
80. TechDork (Posts: 276; Member since: 10 May 2010)
I haven't experienced any lag or anything on my iPhone 5. It runs absolutely smoothly. Maybe because I don't have a heap load of stuff on it lol.
81. webOSlove (unregistered)
I don't know what you guys have on your iPhone 4, but I'm not experiencing any real lag. It's pretty much the same as it was on iOS 6 (well atleast for me.)
86. henrysullivan2013 (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Sep 2013)
iOS7 - I have on my account 5 iPhones (2 iphone 5's and 3 iphone 4's) and an iPad as well. Been a technican for 20 years and have never seen an upgrade this bad before.
1. Who thought of having white icons to group applications? The black icons that were there, we should have a choice, and it would have been better if it was transparent.
2. Swiped to read a text message and the phone completely rebooted? What the heck is up with that? (Its not like I was out of storage space or had a lot of programs open. 2.6GB available.)
3. The swiping to close programs take twice a long to close out of applications now instead of just tapping on the "X" over and over again.
4. Why move the "search" feataure at all? If something isn't broken don't fix it.
5. I use mophie packs on all the iphones to save and provide more battery life. The new iOS7 has been using up more battery power than the last iOS that was being used. Even when I tweak the device by turning down the brightness, turning off extra settings, etc.
6. The Safari browser is the worst beyond everything. It has the white bars coming on the screen ever time scrolling up and down internet pages when having to readjust your eyes.
7. Going from program to program when pressing home button and switching sometimes is now taking 2-3 times longer than it used to.
I don't know about everyone else in the Apple world, but I am thinking now about going over to a Droid due to this taking place.
88. Shinydesert (Posts: 62; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
They made some unnecessary changes,I miss the web search on the iPad Mini.
The lag is terrible to the point that sometimes I can't even scroll down. By the way last night I did a factory reset on my Mini and performance did not improve that much at all,sort of the same even after setting the device as new.
Give it sometime if you can afford it. Good luck.
89. Windsponge (Posts: 92; Member since: 01 Nov 2009)
I would like to add it really caused my I Phone 5 to lag and run slow. I hated it so bad I sold my 5 and bought a note 3. I think Apple has lost any edge the had when Job died. Hate 7. Had to talk to apple it caused problems on my iPad 4. They couldn't fix and didn't care. Will never buy another apple product.