ZTE is the first Chinese smartphone manufacturer to roll out a handset powered by Android 4.2
0. phoneArena 24 Nov 2012, 00:04 posted on
ZTE is an up and coming smartphone manufacturer that happens to be based in China; the OEM might have surprised many by passing Taiwan's HTC to become the fourth largest smartphone producer globally in Q3...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. byazatt (Posts: 159; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
ZTE makes rather solid devices, anyone who has used a low range ZTE blade can bear me witness.
27. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
So exactly, what r the top 4 smartphone manufacturers now?
2. MeoCao (unregistered)
Thumb up for ZTE, HTC and SS are still struggling with 4.1 updates for their TOP phones, HTC said they would only upgrade phones with more than 1G of RAM.
ZTE has shown to all Android OEMs a great way to do business.
7. darkskoliro (Posts: 1038; Member since: 07 May 2012)
its because sense uses a lot of ram and pure android uses less, hence 512 is enough for stock
10. MeoCao (unregistered)
1 more reason for HTC to drop Sense or make it lighter.
11. darkskoliro (Posts: 1038; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Sense in my opinion is absolutely brilliant and gives me way more eye candy than stock
17. MeoCao (unregistered)
I think that's tradeoff and there are many more people like Sense, but I guess the resource eating side of Sense is 1 of main reasons that make One X lose the war to GS3.
28. yt6nin (Posts: 100; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
HTC still only put 1GB of RAM in the newer One X+... -_- They could've put in 2GB RAM to make the One X+ more of a competition amongst the SGS III, Optimus G, and even the Galaxy Note II....
15. RapidCat (Posts: 351; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
because zte use stock android, SS and HTC need to modify the android to add their feature, thats why they need more time,
aosp and CyanogenMod like another OEM they need time to modify stock android
3. ABDULGHAFOOR (Posts: 100; Member since: 04 May 2012)
"The ZTE N880E offers a 4 inch, WVGA display with a 1GHz Qualcomm 7627A processor and 512MB of RAM on board"
whereas xperia arc s has 1.4 Ghz but not updated to Jelly bean
ZTE is better than Sony .
6. thunderising (Posts: 227; Member since: 25 Nov 2011)
That too an ARM Cortex A5 CPU with Adreno 200 GPU on the ZTE device.
25. yowanvista (Posts: 332; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Blame Sony's poor development, the Kernel used in their ICS-updated 2011 devices were just the old 2.6.x gingerbread kernels which they managed to port to ICS with few modifications, but they couldn't do the same thing for JB since they would run into vsync and hwcomposer problems. They should have ported at least Kernel 3.0.52 but that would require a lot of resources and time not to mention that those devices were already obsolete by this time.
Usable RAM is also a problem on MSM8255T chipsets, only around 352MB is usable out of 512MB since the kernel and hardware features like the GPU and camera will take up some RAM leaving the system with a far lower amount of usable RAM, that would clutter the multitasking experience.
Sony had to phase out old devices in order to introduce their newer lineup, makes sense.
4. angelesmec (unregistered)
Please correct the 3.2MB camera.
5. dickwyn (Posts: 602; Member since: 07 May 2012)
dang it, Samsung faster release the 4.2 update for the Galaxy Note II or Galaxy S III
8. darkskoliro (Posts: 1038; Member since: 07 May 2012)
ZTE released the pure android experience, putting a touchwiz over it takes time especially with all of ss' features
9. dickwyn (Posts: 602; Member since: 07 May 2012)
i think for the 4.2 update Samsung will be using an all new touchwiz skin presumably the one coming with the S4
19. Shubham412302 (Posts: 328; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
samsung only update frequently the 4 flagships (note,note2,s2,s3)
12. supersammyfans (Posts: 26; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
Anything other than Sammy phones is a piece of s**t
20. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 807; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
We wont be flame bated by you. sheesh.
13. fnakhi (Posts: 7; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
The likes of Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG and the rest of the lot needs to learn from ZTE.
21. _Bone_ (Posts: 2146; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
That's not the 4.2 clock, probably not the 4.2 lockscreen.
23. thunderising (Posts: 227; Member since: 25 Nov 2011)
It's an old screen shot from the previous article, please understand
22. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Just goes to show you dont need top end specs to run 4.2. Up yours htc, samsung...
24. redmd (Posts: 978; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
everyone needs to understand that it's a stock android. it's in the nexus level so it's fast to update.
26. ronjr123 (Posts: 66; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Just because they can put the latest software on it, doesn't mean they should. I am sure the user experience is one that most of us would hate.
29. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
the only reason why ZTE surpasses the likes of nokia and HTC its because they partner with other small mobile maker... coz it is said that the phones in india (karbonn and micromax to be exact) are ZTE and Huawei... they manufactured it (just like nexus---samsung, LG, HTC, ASUS manufactures it for google's part) but not made by these companies! and phone companies in my place,Philippines, rebrand the micromax or karbonn phones...
coz when you ask anyone if they know ZTE or Huawei, they dont know! but they are actually using it (in the means of pocket wifi, broadband stick etc.) and some carrier rebrand these phones for their cheap line ups (like t-mobile mytouch series, and in my place, the netphone and cloudfone)
so for me, the biggest player in mobile space are Nokia, Samsung, BlackBerry, Apple, LG,Motorola and Sony..... coz they have the biggest name in this space!
30. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
"The ZTE N880E offers a 4 inch, WVGA display with a 1GHz Qualcomm 7627A processor and 512MB of RAM on board. 4GB of native storage can be expanded to 36GB using the microSD slot. A 3.2MB camera is on back and a 1650mAh battery keeps the lights on"
So, these guys can JB 4.2 on this phone and other companies refuse. Thanks to XDA and CM my captivate - a much better phone than this ZTE one - has JB 4.2.
Kudos to ZTE!!