Your touchscreen will soon distinguish between a finger, fingernail and a knuckle
0. phoneArena posted on 18 Nov 2012, 13:46
A modified Samsung Galaxy S III can tell the difference between the touch input coming from a finger, fingernail or knuckle using a small vibration detector and software that can determine the acoustical differences between the three different input methods...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Roomaku posted on 18 Nov 2012, 13:47 12 0
I can't wait to get and iPhone Punch just punch the screen!
26. Twisted247 posted on 19 Nov 2012, 21:13 0 0
Isn't that the only use of apple products anyways? Punching the screen
3. Tsepz_GP posted on 18 Nov 2012, 14:06 10 0
Atleast we can look forward to a little piece of innovation then :) the fact that they are testing this on an S3 could mean the S4 may get it
4. ElektronicGeek91 posted on 18 Nov 2012, 14:39 2 0
Every time I think they ran out of ideas to put on phones, is the time they created something new. Good job, technology just gets better and better.
28. miles16852 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 16:07 0 0
this is nothing new, if you ever worked in a office, the multifuction machines have very nice touch screens that responds to your finger, or a stylus or your finger nail, this is nothing new, its been in use for years now.. and a few of the cell phones already had this,, example the palm centro as well as a few other palm phones already had it,,,,, but it sure would like to see it on most of todays phones,,
5. ncv144 posted on 18 Nov 2012, 14:43 0 0
but nfc is still in the dark.....
Anyway, nice touchscreens you got there Qeexo!
6. lyndon420 posted on 18 Nov 2012, 15:06 6 1
Nice tech. If it can be dreamed up, chances are it will find a home in an Android device of some kind somewhere. It's hard to believe I used to function in a world without the droid.
7. TheMan posted on 18 Nov 2012, 16:22 4 0
Hmmm. Knuckle, nail, finger. You've got the makings of a great adult app right there.
Seriously, even if it could eliminate/ignore random screen touches that'd be a great advance.
9. darac posted on 18 Nov 2012, 18:22 0 0
This could actually spell the end of the mouse!!
In a few years, we will all be grateful to this guy
10. mozes316 posted on 18 Nov 2012, 18:27 0 0
The tech world needs more people like this guy. Awesome idea.
12. protozeloz posted on 18 Nov 2012, 19:35 0 0
We need this!!!!!! Where is Google trowing money at this guys door!?
14. spideyhead256 posted on 18 Nov 2012, 21:38 0 0
if this happens im already sold to get the s4.i use S-Memo on a daily schedule to sketch and stuff so this would be VERY helpful.
15. blackspot posted on 18 Nov 2012, 21:41 0 0
That's what I'm talking bout'! Innovation FTW!!
17. voxmarc posted on 18 Nov 2012, 22:14 0 0
Not bragging or anything...but the Note2 can swipe using fingernails,knuckle,even with tissue paper on my finger.....just add a little pressure.....thanks to wacom and the pressure sensitivity...it works....
18. laheelahee posted on 18 Nov 2012, 23:17 0 0
i just tried my knuckles & fingernail on my dad's HTC Incredible and it works. but it doesnt distinguish between them, is the point
20. akishakoi posted on 19 Nov 2012, 01:06 0 0
Why use your knuckle when you can use a banana or a fork? - Lumia 920. Lols
21. groupsacc posted on 19 Nov 2012, 02:58 1 0
I don't think most of youse understand this article. It's not just detection of fingernails and knuckles, it is able to distinguish them, thus for example, you can make fingernail touches as hover, knuckle touches as right clicks etc.
27. Twisted247 posted on 19 Nov 2012, 21:16 0 0
Great app, quite impressive. This is a great idea for the women out there, my mother for one has longer nails and she keeps her older phone because it recognizes touch from what ever source. Vs the higher stuff of the current market which is heat sensitive so you have to use your knuckle or finger.
Thats why I directed her to the note series and she is looking to go in that route. But this is a great idea for everyone. being able to have your menu button on any screen by simply throwing a knuckle is great! Among other possibilities.