You can (kind of) get Google Maps back after iOS 6 update
0. phoneArena posted on 20 Sep 2012, 06:17
Those who miss the old Google Maps (we cannot blame you, given the initial criticism Apple's Maps app is getting) can easily get access to Google's mapping service. In fact, the solution is so simple that some of you may have figured it out already...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. nnaatthhaannx2 posted on 20 Sep 2012, 06:26 10
You should write about the new google maps for android with the sweet one handed zoom in an out!!!
The gesture is great!
7. smdeezy posted on 20 Sep 2012, 07:43 6
I just checked out the new one handed zoom and it is sweet! I think it's better than pinch to zoom! Easier to use and apple can't sue over it!
9. Ohrules posted on 20 Sep 2012, 08:20 0
i'm missing something here. could you provide a link? many thanks!
11. protozeloz posted on 20 Sep 2012, 08:43 3
16. Ohrules posted on 20 Sep 2012, 11:50 0
15. mrgq09 posted on 20 Sep 2012, 09:41 0
lol Apple can sue...in this instance i think they would be on the receiving end...
17. rusticguy posted on 20 Sep 2012, 13:53 0
Yes and Google always believed in maximising one handed operation/use unlike "pinch the butt" patents.
3. thelegend6657 posted on 20 Sep 2012, 06:28 2
I use this method to get a lot of maps
6. SlimSoulja86 posted on 20 Sep 2012, 07:14 1
Will Apple allow google maps to be available? Or it will be like Google Voice Search which is still not available (the App Store that is)
8. trentsinmypants posted on 20 Sep 2012, 08:17 0
wait until someone ports the google maps app and sticks it in Cydia :)
10. PAPINYC posted on 20 Sep 2012, 08:30 0
That's funny: "they" got a bigger screen with a new connector and "they" 'kind of' lost Google Maps.
So Apple said, "you can have THIS but, ya' can't have THAT!"
(Hey, wasn't that a song?)
12. Mxyzptlk posted on 20 Sep 2012, 09:02 1
Google Maps is pretty basic if you need general directions even if it was off a couple of times namely with location of something. People need to understand how a business works. Apple was dependent on Google for maps before iOS 6. That was making Google money. Would you really sit and allow a company to make a lot of money off your platform with all of your data?
13. chaoticrazor posted on 20 Sep 2012, 09:09 6
Google maps is pretty basic? you serious
''Would you really sit and allow a company to make a lot of money off your platform with all of your data?'
well if thats the case samsung, sony etc all who make the parts for the iphone should stop....why should apple make money off there products
google maps and nokia maps are the 2 best in my opinion. apple are only doing this to further close off others. its pretty bad for the customers if you think about
14. Reluctant_Human posted on 20 Sep 2012, 09:41 3
If apple was smart it would have let google make a google maps app for the ios platform years ago but instead they wanted control and use googles services with their horrible software. The lack of turn by turn directions is the biggest reason I got rid of my iphone. Google instead made more money by people switching platforms. The only reason Apple has a leg to stand on is 3rd party apps. If you keep If you take that out Apple is just another outdated operating system with outdated hardware.
18. GeekMovement posted on 20 Sep 2012, 16:53 0
He doesn't even know what google maps is. He doesn't know anything outside of the Apple ecosystem. (-:
19. zhypher_23 posted on 21 Sep 2012, 08:18 0
Hmmm....this story makes me wonder......What is Apple without their Apps+iTunes Ecosystem?
23. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 22 Sep 2012, 06:10 0
and there's also a better one! m.maps.nokia.com with turn by turn navigation!