Yahoo gives employees a list of smartphones to choose from for work
0. phoneArena 16 Sep 2012, 21:24 posted on
Recently, Yahoo's new CEO Marissa Mayer told employees that she wanted to look at smartphone penetration rates to determine which models Yahoo users should have; the idea is for Yahoo employees and Yahoo workers to both use the same models...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 12117; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
She should go for the obvious choice which is her first choice.
5. Pings (Posts: 303; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
What do you mean she should choice? I think it's really cool the employees get choices.
23. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1120; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
I really think you should edit your first sentence. It sort-of makes me cringe because it doesn't make any sense.
36. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1120; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
There must be a bunch of people out there that are either illiterate or just really bad at grammar. The line "What do you mean she should choice?" does not make any sense. The only way the sentence would make sense is if you said: "What do you mean she should CHOOSE?" or "What do you mean she should go for the first choice?".
38. Pings (Posts: 303; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Yeah by the time I caught that I couldn't edit it. Obviously you still got it. You know what I meant and it did make sense. You're just a d**k. No likes a Nazi, spelling, grammar, or otherwise.
47. Pings (Posts: 303; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Thank you bud! I even forgot to put No
'one' likes a Nazi lol. But, we all get the point.
7. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Why the iPhone? It has a sub-HD 4" screen, lacks NFC, has a small battery, can't do simultaneous voice and data on Verizon or Sprint, lacks expandable storage, has a proprietary connector and allows little customization.
15. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Take that back, that was very iDiSiNgenuous of you. iPhone 5 has added a fourth homogeneous screen and SiRi now understands Spanglish; Apple is making progress and the new iPhone 5 is simply Devolutionary.
33. E.N. (Posts: 2610; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
lol, let's not pretend that most of the employees aren't going to make that their first choice. Let's be real.....
11. dsDoan (Posts: 229; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)
Yes, because clearly your personal preference is the same phone that everyone wants.
"You like that phone? Too bad, you get what I like."
Great mentality you've got there, buddy.
22. crankyd00d (Posts: 191; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
His mentality is actually perfect for an Apple lover like him, very predictable and very narrow minded
19. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
obvious to who? I don't see obvious in here
21. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Regular consumer = goes gaga for iPhone(for bragging lol)
Consumer with slight knowledge regarding technology = s3
Consumer with better knowledge regarding technology = 920
Techie consumer? Optimus G.
46. downphoenix (Posts: 3155; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Im failing to see how this transition will somehow improve the employees productivity at work, but it is nice nonetheless that Yahoo is footing the bill and giving them a choice from a few phones, all of good quality.
49. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
Apparently, you didn't, they want workers to use the same phones as the consumers, last time I checked, not every yahoo user owns an iPhone.
2. FrostyDanny (Posts: 90; Member since: 15 Jul 2012)
Lucky them and most educated don't for the iPhone im not hating its just true lol
4. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
I'm sure the "most educated don't for the iphone"…
24. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1120; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
I don't know if I should keep reading down. I have no clue why people are writing sentences that don't make any sense tonight. I'm guessing everyone is having mental fatigue.
25. nwright94 (unregistered)
Then by your incomprehensible sentence, we can conclude you are an iPhone user?
3. pongkie (Posts: 533; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
hey why the first part of the article only says iphone.... something is fishy
6. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
it's not fishy at all… she made a statement or something before saying how employees needed to switch to the iphone (she didnt mention other handsets)… she now decided to give her employees a broader range which I think is good as long as yahoo isn't adopting a particular mobile infrastructure
8. ivanko34 (Posts: 617; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
Who is using Yahoo ?
Blackberry is still alive but Yahoo is already dead
13. lsutigers (Posts: 820; Member since: 08 Mar 2009)
Yahoo may not be as big as Google but it's still widely used as a search engine and for mail services.
I'm with you on BB, I hope they make it but nothing short of a miracle with save them.
14. dsDoan (Posts: 229; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)
Yahoo! is more than a search engine. They have a broad range of services used by millions.
17. Synack (Posts: 677; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Let's see..... Yahoo mail, Yahoo news, Yahoo finance, etc, etc....
9. wendygarett (unregistered)
10. lsutigers (Posts: 820; Member since: 08 Mar 2009)
Top phones from the top 3 OS's, not a big surprise.
18. wendygarett (unregistered)
Sony is still new in US
It need some time to accept :)
31. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
i wish the V and TX would hurry the hell up tho!... seriously
32. wendygarett (unregistered)
Only att care... Poor sony...
20. Android (Posts: 20; Member since: 04 Dec 2010)
I think the Galaxy S3 has the advantage on this one, as far as features go. If they go with the S3, everyone can use the S beam feature. The pop up video feture would probably come in handy just like the wifi sharing feature.
26. nicholassss (Posts: 368; Member since: 10 May 2012)
As an adroid user id love it if my employer gave me a free smart phone. Id probably go for an iphone or the lumia just for the lols.
40. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I'd have my work phone be a Lumia 920 and my personal phone be a Galaxy Note 2 or the Optimus G.
That'd be so perfect.
44. nicholassss (Posts: 368; Member since: 10 May 2012)
Just to nerd out that much harder. haha. It'd be awesome.
28. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Those who go for Nokia Lumia 920 will be a big winner
29. voxmarc (Posts: 332; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
then the employees shouts yahOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....
30. ChiX017 (Posts: 308; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
Nokia, we need more product awareness!
Cause WP8 has such a good security upgrade for enterprise's
34. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
good work marissa, do not let your employee use BB because it's an ancient phone, your employee can't work with that s**t
35. u-suck-more (Posts: 529; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
well looks like RIM better step up their game with BB10, else more companies gon' drop them
37. samirsshah (Posts: 61; Member since: 10 Mar 2011)
Nice step. Yahoo! needs to have an Android and iOS app.
39. Droids-R-us (Posts: 33; Member since: 17 Sep 2012)
Ok maybe I am missing the point but is the author of this article possibly iphone biased? "Last month, Yahoo's new CEO Marissa Mayer put employees on notice that she wanted them to get rid of the BlackBerry handsets they were using for work and switch to the Apple iPhone" Bet the article actually says (Twice) that they have a list of different phones to choose from and not just one!
How un-restricted a phone is and what it is capable of makes my decision rather than which one looks prettier or smoother.
42. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
she's really annoying!!! they are doing business not playing around! BlackBerry is still the most superior when it comes to doing email and messaging! and when you need to contact people, BBM is still superior and the fastest way!!!
if she choose to change the company's phone, she should just go for those very capable in messaging and emails!!!
43. Aeires (unregistered)
What is Yahoo? Let me Google it to find out.
45. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1888; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
At least they get to choose from some of the top end phones.