Xiaomi's Hongmi smartphone now has an international name: Redmi
0. phoneArena 11 Feb 2014, 10:32 posted on
The Xiaomi Redmi was officially introduced in Singapore, and it could reach more markets later this year. The handset runs Android 4.2 and costs around $130 unlocked...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. UglyFrank (Posts: 1509; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
Will they be able to release their phones at the same prices internationally?
3. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 1157; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
I doubt so. Taxes here in Singapore ensures that even the Nokia Lumia 520 is nowhere near $150
2. darkskoliro (Posts: 1076; Member since: 07 May 2012)
"Hong" literally means Red if anyone can't understand Chinese.
My uncle has one, and I have used it in person. 720p display is nice pixel density, but the screen quality is very very mediocre. 8MP shoots decent photos, and overall it is very smooth. One of the best value phones you can buy.
4. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 1157; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
They must have literally went 'yolo' to start off with Singapore. I mean the market there is basically the same as the US market, full of iPhones and Galaxies. Good luck penetrating it
5. Doakie (Posts: 1842; Member since: 06 May 2009)
"However, since Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak recently said that Xiaomi “has what it takes to break the American market”, it’s probably worth trying to release smartphones in the Western world." How did the Woz get in this story before Hugo Barra was even mentioned? What ever happened to Hugo anyways? He was always my favorite presenter at Google I/O...
6. mercorp (Posts: 1021; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Yeah..I met I constantly see galaxies and iPhones...and the ocassional Sony's,LG's and htcs....
8. JJOPQ (Posts: 55; Member since: 15 Nov 2014)