Wozniak says if he were running Apple, he would partner with Google
0. phoneArena 03 Nov 2013, 13:44 posted on
Could you imagine a world in which Apple and Google were partners? Steve Wozniak can, and the Apple co-founder told the BBC in an interview that "I wish to God that Apple and Google were partners in the future;" the living legend is impressed with the way Google's search engine fuels Android speech recognition, especially when compared to Apple's Siri. "Sometimes I say 'Go to Joe's Diner' and [Siri] doesn't know where Joe's Diner is...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5842; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Honestly, this is why I love Woz. This man is filled with ideas.
33. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 2741; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Normally I would dismiss the idea and call Woz a nutter but there's some parts where google and apple could work together and partner up. Ultimately though it wouldn't really be feasible and still maintain a competitive environment.
42. Sniggly (Posts: 6400; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
That "nutter" is 75 percent of the reason there's an Apple for you to worship at all.
44. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5155; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Yup, without the nutter, Apple wouldn't have been first to market with a floppy disk drive. Without the floppy disk drive at the time he developed it, microcomputers would not have had the ability to load multiple programs without some outrageously expensive disk or tape drive.
Wozniak is one of the true pioneers who contributed innovations that enabled the PC market to grow to what it has become. The other guy was a marketer. Wozniak created things.
50. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 2741; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Steve Jobs created the line of idevices, which are the ones that saved Apple. I know Woz was instrumental in apple. That's not the point.
65. Sniggly (Posts: 6400; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
"Created" is a strong word. Jobs was a brilliant businessman. He knew how to look at ideas and see what people would want, and how to make people want them.
However, the actual creation of the iDevices went to a whole team of people. Jobs may have made decisions about how the iDevices got made and what they contained, but he was far from actually building, engineering, or programming most, if not all of it.
So yeah, Jobs saved Apple with his business acumen, but without Wozniak, there wouldn't have even been an Apple to save. Please remember this the next time you think about dismissing Wozniak as a "nutter" who shouldn't be listened to.
69. lyndon420 (Posts: 1469; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Steve is dead, and the company he helped found is dying fast. A prosperous company doesn't need to focus 99% of their resources on trying to kill off the direct competition. Apple is worried and they have every right to be.
54. OldNorseBruin (Posts: 77; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
...Droid_X_Doug...You're absolutely correct: The UC BERKELEY Engineer, Wozniak, was the TRUE inventor at Apple.
71. good2great (Posts: 1022; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
WOZ is no business man... yes we love the tech/geek part of him but he can't run a business... lets be real.
49. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 2741; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I don't worship apple. I just enjoy their quality products. I'm not dismissing Wozs contributions.
70. lyndon420 (Posts: 1469; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
You couldn't say a bad thing about apple even if they stopped paying you.
52. OldNorseBruin (Posts: 77; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
...SNIGGLY, you're giving waaaaay too much credit ( if you mean the other 25% ) to Shyster-Jobs...
63. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 944; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Peace on earth ended when god created lawyers and patents. Nice sentiments, and Kudos to Woz, but that ain't how the world works ;o)
64. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Apple and competitive environment? Apple wants all competition elimintated. -- remeber Thermonuclear crap so "shamelessly advertised" by the person who coined the same?
78. grapeseed87 (Posts: 120; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
That nutter invented the concept of Modern PC and improved Pong for Jobs. Without him there NEVER would have been Apple.
37. Tommy1960i (Posts: 88; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
Why do we have to make everything to be owned or directed by google? I hate that. Android powered computers, telephones, gear, and so on.... where will you stop? I feel good that Apple will never partner with google, at least I hope so. We need to have this competition which will motivate everyone discover more and get better and better. And why every time an article says very nice things about Android everyone is happy and if it says something good about iPhone everyone of you gets mad? I just don't understand it. If you will go to Europe you will see that android phones are normal and average where the iPhone is regarded as a Premium phone wich shows quality, luxury and precission, 3 things that Android lacks.
40. hiipurcult_ure (Posts: 1; Member since: 03 Nov 2013)
i agree that we DO need this competition between google and apple. without it, nothing would be improved. google now would probably not have happened as soon as it has if siri was never introduced. likewise, siri would probably not improve and continue to improve if google now hadnt been developed.
whether you like iphones better or androids is all up to your personal opinion, but competition fuels diversity and improvements for all us smart phone enthusiasts.
45. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5842; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Google had been working on Google Now a long time before Apple introduced Siri on iOS 6...
61. ardent1 (Posts: 1969; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
PapaSmurf, you are full of sh*t.
It came with iOS 5.
75. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5842; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Oh no, I'm full of s--t for a simple typo. Oh no!
Do me a favor? Hop off. Seriously.
43. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5842; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I think you accidentally replied to me...
Any who, I wouldn't mind if Apple teamed with Google. The two greatest tech companies in the world merging into one would be kinda great. Yeah there should always be competition, but it would just motivate other companies to innovate and push more than they already are now.
41. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5472; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
This man is simply awesome!! If he's owner of apple all law suits will put at a end. Damn wish he was in charge. And siri still gets u lost.
68. lyndon420 (Posts: 1469; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Agreed. The Woz is the only person that was involved with apple who deserves ongoing respect so far. If he was running apple maybe he could put out a product that would actually impress me enough to leave Google. Nah...that's borderline impossible-all we need is Google (breifly lost my mind there).
2. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1616; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
The woz is the source of all truth! (awesome picture of him!)
7. rcl4444 (Posts: 32; Member since: 06 Oct 2012)
Amen! - Thank you Steve W!
The mobile world would become awesome! You'd have the best of features, form and mobile experience available together on the one device, and the competition would be producing even better tech and products to compete.
We can but hope and dream...
9. Danishs (Posts: 147; Member since: 23 May 2013)
This is why he end up not being apart of Apple.. Yeah it sounds all perfect and ideal but I'm sure its a horrible decision when it comes to the business side of things
72. good2great (Posts: 1022; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
AMEN. this guy is no businessman. Talking all this happy everyone together holding hands talk is stupid.
He built the Apple computer that's it. Jobs was the businessman and visionary who made apple where it is today. especially with phones... these android idiots act like Woz builds cell phones. smh...
79. grapeseed87 (Posts: 120; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
If any of you are reading this, Back in 1907 that was exactly how Business was done. You absorbed or terminated your competition. That is how Rockefeller family created the Chase Manhattan and Exxon, etc.
When you absorb or collaborate with competition especially one as big as Google you can create a serious Monopoly in the market and when you do it under the pretense of seemingly 'dual entities' then the courts can't do anything about it. That would be the ultimate win situation with a strong tech company for decades to come.
10. stealthd (Posts: 818; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
They were partners. Then Google came out with a competing platform. Now being partners just doesn't make sense anymore. I like Woz but like the article said, he doesn't know much about the business end of things.
11. -box- (Posts: 3537; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
To sum up, woz thinks apple is so bad it needs Google's help, and google could use apple's branding recognition and blind cult following.
25. stealthd (Posts: 818; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
You could say the same thing about Android then, based on the article. "Android is so bad it needs Apple to fix it". Neither statement is true.
12. Sauce (Posts: 740; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
Hypothetically, if Google and Apple made one super phone taking the best things out of both and making them into one... Holy hot damn, that would be one amazing phone with one amazing OS.
13. Gaurav008 (Posts: 241; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Peace in online forums then, I guess. :3
14. downphoenix (Posts: 2134; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
If you ask me, Apple rehired the wrong Steve back in 1997.
15. stealthd (Posts: 818; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
The Steve they did rehire brought the company from near bankruptcy to being one of the most valuable companies in the world. I guess that's why no one asked you.
24. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1616; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
steve wozniak would have done a better job...
39. GeekyGene (Posts: 76; Member since: 25 Aug 2013)
If they hired had Wozniak, there would have been no Apple in 1998.
62. ray386407 (Posts: 12; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Technically that was bill gates who bought the company back from near bankruptcy not Steve Jobs
59. robinlim85 (Posts: 85; Member since: 03 May 2013)
google definitely thinks apple rehired the wrong guy in 1997
16. netizen (Posts: 31; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I would welcome this idea but fur this to happen Apple would have to give up its massive profit margin in able to compete with Android phones that sell near cost. You would be shocked at how much money Apple makes off each device they sell. That money first mentality has to stop before anything like this can ever happen.
17. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1437; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
No it's good that there is competition Woz
18. pookiewood (Posts: 465; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
I know people love Teh Woz OMGeez but I think this suggestion is kind of mental.
19. ilia1986 (unregistered)
It should have been the second Steve and not some turd Cook!! (pun intended)
20. VZWuser76 (Posts: 896; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
This is a man who is a lover of tech and company blind. It's what all these so called "tech sites" should aspire to be. There is so much bias from these tech bloggers, you might as well go to a dedicated site for android, iOS, or WP. He was a driving force behind Apple, yet he can see the good and bad in products from other companies, and has no qualms about seeing the bad with his baby as well. I'm kinda the same way, the business side is what gets me angry. If these guys actually worked together, today we'd be at the same point as we would 2 years from now with the current state of things. If you don't believe me, get a group of techies or engineers together and just listen, more minds is a good thing.
21. dspkblympkbl (Posts: 44; Member since: 23 May 2013)
Apple only wants to be compatible with their own devices...ecosystem my *^%# anytime you see more than one apple device in my home they'll be paying my mortgage.
23. MrsPotatoHead (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
That man crazy, why would you put another operational system on a iPhone? Don't get me wrong, it would probably make my iPhone better but isn't one like an open access system and the other restriction based. And, would it mean that you would put Apple on a Samsung because that would just ruin those Galaxy Ss. I don't know if you ask me, the man on crack.
57. Pancholo (Posts: 365; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
When did he mention putting another OS in an iPhone? Y'all just jumping on the high Woz for being a lover.